Did he play last night? And if not, was he hurt
01-27-2019 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: Darrington
(01-27-2019 03:11 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Did he play last night? And if not, was he hurt

5 min, all second half as I recall. Boxscore says 1-3 , 1 steal, 1 turnover.
01-27-2019 03:17 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

play by play shows in quick succession, a steal, a lay-up, two quick fouls followed by a turn-over and then that's it for the game I think.
01-27-2019 03:22 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Next question, in coach’s dog house?
01-27-2019 03:30 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
sat 1st half. played a bit in second and made a key play with a steal nice drive and pretty layup that changed momentum.

alderson played a lot in 1st half after playing very little recently. either darrington was getting sent a message for poor play, practice or discipline reasons or coach is just continuing to tinker with the bench.
01-27-2019 04:50 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
When you sit exactly one half and the rarely-seen-these-days Alderson comes in before you it smacks of minor rules infraction.
01-27-2019 04:51 PM
Advertisement

PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I think coach K game plans on what he needs from his roster for matchups, and what he sees in practice. I think Alderson is gonna be a significant contributor, he just needs to get more comfortable.

I was wondering, as well, how soon Chris would be seen. It came when Marreon had 3 fouls. Chris came in and did a nice job, but I have noticed a little drop off in production/energy with the 2nd unit. Bottom line is Marreon is tough, and Chris provides nice depth. I wonder if he was a little under the weather.

Regardless, he came in and did a nice job. CMU has some good guards, and they pressed all night. Marreon is great at handling the ball.
01-27-2019 06:42 PM
RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

The fact that Darrington sat the whole first half tells me that he was probably being disciplined for a rules violation liking being late for practice or something along those lines.
01-27-2019 06:46 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-27-2019 06:42 PM)PTLROCK Wrote:  I think coach K game plans on what he needs from his roster for matchups, and what he sees in practice.

Matchups: probably so. The announcers stated that CMU has the highest scoring pair at the guards in the MAC, so there's a match-up that would seem to invite Darrington onto the floor. Circumstantial evidense building up.

To put it in the news or leave a vacuum for fan boards to fill in? Coaching decisions I guess. Might have been my imagination but in game after D made an...ill advised perhaps independant play, Sanford seemed to have a look of disapproval. It was an aggressive play that didn't work out but maybe he's not been given that go-ahead?

I think (hope) we'll see big improvements and contributions from Darrington but he's not there yet. Needs patience with himself and the program I imagine.
01-27-2019 07:21 PM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
My observations/guess are that Darrington's somewhat more independent offensive approach was OK while they were on a win streak. After the blowouts Darrington may have been a scapegoat. That is when his minutes were cut and he came out right after turnovers. Then he seemed more tentative about going to the hoop and worked harder to make the extra pass instead of taking it to the hoop whenever possible.

I think that when a slower team keeps trying to make the extra pass against extreme pressure of a faster team it contributes to blowouts like those we saw. But it is hard for a team to change gears and stop relying as much on the extra passes that helped them succeed against teams that did not pressure and/or were not faster than us.

I think that K is investing more in the team approach and in players that will be back next year. I think more investment in adapting/having a different approach is an important tool to have in order to win games against faster teams that use extreme pressure.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2019 09:58 PM by UTfanBGalum.)
01-27-2019 09:48 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(01-27-2019 09:48 PM)UTfanBGalum Wrote:  My observations/guess are that Darrington's somewhat more independent offensive approach was OK while they were on a win streak. After the blowouts Darrington may have been a scapegoat. That is when his minutes were cut and he came out right after turnovers. Then he seemed more tentative about going to the hoop and worked harder to make the extra pass instead of taking it to the hoop whenever possible.

I think that when a slower team keeps trying to make the extra pass against extreme pressure of a faster team it contributes to blowouts like those we saw. But it is hard for a team to change gears and stop relying as much on the extra passes that helped them succeed against teams that did not pressure and/or were not faster than us.

I think that K is investing more in the team approach and in players that will be back next year. I think more investment in adapting/having a different approach is an important tool to have in order to win games against faster teams that use extreme pressure.
Darington already transferred once, I don't think he will again... When the senior guards graduate, Darington will be scorer #1 next season. Alderson is the player I'd be more concerned transferring D2 or something. If you watch him warm up he takes no game speed shots. It takes him 3 seconds to get a set shot off... The speed seems like too much for him right now.

If TK did want to keep them both, they'd both be playing a bit more. Especially on nights that Sanford and Navi disappear.

I'm thinking the no first half minutes had to do either with something about CMU's front court or a possible reprimand.

The other non redshirted guards off the bench with the exception of Littleson, won't be seing PT at Toledo ever. I like Gordon from what I've seen but its obvious TK isn't his number 1 fan. He will either leave or ride 10th on the bench. His choice.
01-27-2019 11:39 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
darrington is using his final year of eligibility this season. he should be fine, I expect. kid is a baller. we need him back to that fairly efficient 10 points in 15 minutes a game role.

in terms of speed of play being an issue, for us it's only when guys are tentative. we often play well for long periods against good teams at a face pace. we sometimes crack under pressure against those fast paced teams. darrington plays fast and confident most of the time but he will need to take good shots in those big games. part of what hurts this team at times is they stop working for good shots and take quick ones or try to run clock.
01-28-2019 04:14 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-28-2019 04:14 AM)pono Wrote:  darrington is using his final year of eligibility this season. he should be fine, I expect. kid is a baller. we need him back to that fairly efficient 10 points in 15 minutes a game role.

in terms of speed of play being an issue, for us it's only when guys are tentative. we often play well for long periods against good teams at a face pace. we sometimes crack under pressure against those fast paced teams. darrington plays fast and confident most of the time but he will need to take good shots in those big games. part of what hurts this team at times is they stop working for good shots and take quick ones or try to run clock.

Yep, Darrington is one and done. At times, with his getting into a higher gear, reminds me of Jon Jon taking it to the hole...
01-28-2019 07:32 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

We’ll be hurting a little for guards next year. We have Littleson, Alderson, Jackson and Saunderson. OK, it’s just Saunders but he’s been feeling a little left out. None have shown themselves to be a consistent offensive threat. I hope there’s a scorer in the incoming group of freshmen but unless it’s Saunders or the second coming of Juice, it seems unlikely a newcomer would be our go to outside gunner. Littleson seems the most likely Son to step up. Gordon is a four in a two body and Hill is more of a three than a guard. If recent play is any indication, Knapke should be our leading scorer but without a complementary outside threat the paint will be a very busy area for opposing defenders.
01-28-2019 07:43 AM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

(01-28-2019 07:43 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  We’ll be hurting a little for guards next year. We have Littleson, Alderson, Jackson and Saunderson. OK, it’s just Saunders but he’s been feeling a little left out. None have shown themselves to be a consistent offensive threat. I hope there’s a scorer in the incoming group of freshmen but unless it’s Saunders or the second coming of Juice, it seems unlikely a newcomer would be our go to outside gunner. Littleson seems the most likely Son to step up. Gordon is a four in a two body and Hill is more of a three than a guard. If recent play is any indication, Knapke should be our leading scorer but without a complementary outside threat the paint will be a very busy area for opposing defenders.

The coaches are extremely high on Saunders as he continues to improve in practice during his redshirt season. Once Darrington was eligible to play this season, the decision was made to go with the proven experienced player (Darrington) over an inexperience player with potential (Saunders). He will definitely play a major role beginning next season.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2019 09:21 AM by Basketball Jones.)
01-28-2019 09:20 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

M Jackson seems to be improving to be that scoring threat, no?
01-28-2019 11:33 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

3point % has dropped .125 this year. Could be an anomaly or could be regression but I don’t see him as a Sanford type who can score from anywhere or certainly not a Navigato.
01-28-2019 12:09 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Then Knapke would seem to be the guy. That might be the reason to get Knapke and Edu in the game, same time. At least inside-outside in practice as something to spring on the conference in MACC. For next year, we'll need at least three reliable outsides to keep teams from packing in on the post.
01-28-2019 04:24 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(01-28-2019 04:24 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Then Knapke would seem to be the guy. That might be the reason to get Knapke and Edu in the game, same time. At least inside-outside in practice as something to spring on the conference in MACC. For next year, we'll need at least three reliable outsides to keep teams from packing in on the post.
Last I heard incoming freshman Donavan Moore was averaging over 25 a game I think he will help next year. I am not afraid to have Mareon Littleson and Alderson as out top 3 guards next season.
01-28-2019 05:18 PM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

We are one OVER in scholarships for next year. One guy has to transfer. Gordon and Hill have both used redshirt years so they would have to sit out a year unless they go to a lower division. Alderson has not redshirted. I have no insight as to who will be gone, but someone has to go.
01-28-2019 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.