Is New FOX tightening their belt?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Is New FOX tightening their belt?
From Awful Announcing:

Fox Sports is replacing production president

Quote:The timing of this move makes sense, as insiders believe that Fox will begin to focus less on niche sports properties and focus more on their existing portfolio of tier one rights while also being selective in acquiring major properties. Recently, Fox moved on from both the UEFA Champions League, Europa League, and Supercross. The company will also soon be parting with their wide swath of RSNs. It’s believed that as the New Fox readies itself for life without the RSNs and the TV and movie assets it’s selling to Disney, the company is trying to be proactive reining in some costs.

Sources to AA have indicated that the management structure of Fox Sports was deemed “a bit too top heavy,” because Fox Sports has four individuals with a President title or higher. Entz was in charge of production, Mark Silverman holds the role of President of National Networks, Jeff Krolic is President of the soon to be spun off RSN business, and Eric Shanks is CEO of the Fox Sports group. Zager retaining his EVP status in the move now leaves Fox Sports with one less President with the pending departure of Entz.
01-24-2019 02:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Is New FOX tightening their belt?
(01-24-2019 02:18 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  From Awful Announcing:

Quote:The timing of this move makes sense, as insiders believe that Fox will begin to focus less on niche sports properties and focus more on their existing portfolio of tier one rights while also being selective in acquiring major properties. Recently, Fox moved on from both the UEFA Champions League, Europa League, and Supercross. The company will also soon be parting with their wide swath of RSNs. It’s believed that as the New Fox readies itself for life without the RSNs and the TV and movie assets it’s selling to Disney, the company is trying to be proactive reining in some costs.

Sources to AA have indicated that the management structure of Fox Sports was deemed “a bit too top heavy,” because Fox Sports has four individuals with a President title or higher. Entz was in charge of production, Mark Silverman holds the role of President of National Networks, Jeff Krolic is President of the soon to be spun off RSN business, and Eric Shanks is CEO of the Fox Sports group. Zager retaining his EVP status in the move now leaves Fox Sports with one less President with the pending departure of Entz.

This actually bodes well for further realignment. What does FOX really get out of the Big 12? What does ESPN really get out of the Big 12?

FOX and ESPN can continue to split PAC product in a lease because that gives both of them some late night games.

FOX has the Big 10 for their nationwide channel. Expanding content for that is the cheapest way to make more for less.

Wouldn't be surprised however if they make a run for the SEC T1.

We'll see.
01-24-2019 03:12 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
(01-24-2019 03:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

This actually bodes well for further realignment. What does FOX really get out of the Big 12? What does ESPN really get out of the Big 12?

FOX and ESPN can continue to split PAC product in a lease because that gives both of them some late night games.

FOX has the Big 10 for their nationwide channel. Expanding content for that is the cheapest way to make more for less.

Wouldn't be surprised however if they make a run for the SEC T1.

We'll see.

There's much conflict in the PAC occurring now,. How that impacts future financial relationships with Fox and ESPN will be interesting. Commissioner Scott is not beloved by all out there.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2019/0...world.html

As to expansion, the PAC will be even less appealing to prime B12 schools if that conference has departures in a few years.

I can see the PAC dropping further behind in the revenue game.
01-24-2019 08:52 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I'm starting to wonder...if we don't see Scott replaced in the next few years then does it become more viable that a school like Colorado jumps ship?

They certainly want to be in the PAC as they've apparently struggled to get there for years, but if the Big Ten can offer them a significant raise and better overall exposure then do they go?

If I'm FOX then I'd rather have a school like CU in the Big Ten anyway assuming I can get Oklahoma in there. It's a much better reach throughout the West and Midwest for the Big Ten product and that's good for cutting costs and getting the best out of my contracts.
01-25-2019 02:01 AM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(01-25-2019 02:01 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I'm starting to wonder...if we don't see Scott replaced in the next few years then does it become more viable that a school like Colorado jumps ship?

They certainly want to be in the PAC as they've apparently struggled to get there for years, but if the Big Ten can offer them a significant raise and better overall exposure then do they go?

If I'm FOX then I'd rather have a school like CU in the Big Ten anyway assuming I can get Oklahoma in there. It's a much better reach throughout the West and Midwest for the Big Ten product and that's good for cutting costs and getting the best out of my contracts.

I’m shocked Scott hasn’t been replaced. It’s one thing to have bold ambitions but it’s another to fall behind your peers and rivals.
01-25-2019 02:58 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

So disappointed Fox Sports didn’t retain Champions League or Europa League. It was great having three midweek days full of high quality soccer games televised on both FS1 and FS2.
01-25-2019 03:02 AM
All Rams All The Time Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Colorado State
(01-25-2019 02:01 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I'm starting to wonder...if we don't see Scott replaced in the next few years then does it become more viable that a school like Colorado jumps ship?

Doubt Colorado would leave the PAC. They have massive alumni bases in north and south CA ... the administration loves the association with the academic Big 5 of the PAC ... folks in the state of CO have finally figured out the annual conference opponents in the big sports.

Yes, CU has much athletic debt and PAC revenues aren't reducing that debt as fast as expected. (Announced football season ticket cost increase this week despite one (1) winning season since 2005 and a new coach.) Can't imagine they'd vacate their PAC membership to join a midwest-based athletic conference.
01-25-2019 12:49 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-25-2019 12:49 PM)All Rams All The Time Wrote:  

Doubt Colorado would leave the PAC. They have massive alumni bases in north and south CA ... the administration loves the association with the academic Big 5 of the PAC ... folks in the state of CO have finally figured out the annual conference opponents in the big sports.

Yes, CU has much athletic debt and PAC revenues aren't reducing that debt as fast as expected. (Announced football season ticket cost increase this week despite one (1) winning season since 2005 and a new coach.) Can't imagine they'd vacate their PAC membership to join a midwest-based athletic conference.

Do those alumni attend games though? I've never had the impression Colorado had a huge road following, but I could be wrong. I could see how a few more Colorado games would be available though the PAC Networks in the markets of CA, but even then most of the 3rd Tier CU content would be on the regional feed rather than the national feed.

I suppose the association with CA schools could be good for recruiting students...similar to Arizona and Arizona State, but the better overall academic association is the Big Ten.

That and the geography. Colorado is probably about as far if not closer to the core of the Big Ten than they are the core of the PAC.

Considering the money difference, I would have to at least consider it if I was running CU. Of course, I'm not running CU....
01-25-2019 02:02 PM
bigblueblindness Offline
1st String

I Root For: UK, Lipscomb
With the BIG going Maryland and Rutgers when they could have certainly had at least Missouri and Kansas around when they took Nebraska tells me that the BIG is either a) not interested in bridging westward or b) was shortsighted and will may make a drastic course correction. I just don't see how option b is plausible with how calculating Delany seems to be.

What makes complete sense to me is the PAC coming to grips with their situation and being the first to make the move to a true super conference of 20 schools. By adding the 8 Big 12 schools minus Baylor and West Virginia, they improve their average in every measurable that matters. Sure, the California schools will not be crazy about the slight hit to academic averages, but who would move the academic needle for them without also taking a hit in other athletic areas? What the PAC doesn't seem to realize is that they have little brother baggage, too. Why not take tit for tat in order to strengthen the whole? A little creativity, such as 80% of total conference revenue shared evenly with the last 20% divvied out by individual school contribution/worth to the bottom line would still be a head of a deal for Wazzu, Oregon State, Kansas State, etc. and give a little gravy to Texas, Oklahoma, USC, etc.

This league would force a paradigm shift and may actually allow the PAC Network to have a chance with the Longhorn Network/ESPN situation as the obvious issue to resolve. Outside of the potential shift from the Alston case, I just don't see how anyone is shaking all of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas loose from little brothers without them having a soft landing space. I guess we'll see soon enough.
01-25-2019 11:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-25-2019 11:36 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  With the BIG going Maryland and Rutgers when they could have certainly had at least Missouri and Kansas around when they took Nebraska tells me that the BIG is either a) not interested in bridging westward or b) was shortsighted and will may make a drastic course correction. I just don't see how option b is plausible with how calculating Delany seems to be.

What makes complete sense to me is the PAC coming to grips with their situation and being the first to make the move to a true super conference of 20 schools. By adding the 8 Big 12 schools minus Baylor and West Virginia, they improve their average in every measurable that matters. Sure, the California schools will not be crazy about the slight hit to academic averages, but who would move the academic needle for them without also taking a hit in other athletic areas? What the PAC doesn't seem to realize is that they have little brother baggage, too. Why not take tit for tat in order to strengthen the whole? A little creativity, such as 80% of total conference revenue shared evenly with the last 20% divvied out by individual school contribution/worth to the bottom line would still be a head of a deal for Wazzu, Oregon State, Kansas State, etc. and give a little gravy to Texas, Oklahoma, USC, etc.

This league would force a paradigm shift and may actually allow the PAC Network to have a chance with the Longhorn Network/ESPN situation as the obvious issue to resolve. Outside of the potential shift from the Alston case, I just don't see how anyone is shaking all of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas loose from little brothers without them having a soft landing space. I guess we'll see soon enough.

I think you are wrong about (b). Delany did miscalculate. What he never foresaw was any interest by the SEC in Missouri. He had to strike for Maryland, hoped for either Virginia or North Carolina to travel with them. Then he figured Kansas and Missouri would never get a look from the SEC so he needed to finish up Eastern expansion first with a solid market so when UVa wasn't interested and North Carolina called Birmingham for insurance, he took Rutgers. It was an easy grab with a huge market that put him in NYC in a higher %.

The SEC wasn't thinking Missouri, but ESPN had been since 2009. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Sur-prise, sur-prise, sur-prise!"

Now that said I agree 100% on what you have suggested for the PAC and the proof of that goes back 3 years or so with my 3x20 models that had exactly those schools moving to the PAC for a conference of 20. Furthermore the B12 can be dissolved with 8 votes. So that move can happen anytime.

If you are ESPN and FOX and you want to renew existing contracts, renegotiate their values, and extend them before the FAANGs get involved then this kind of move of Big 12 product makes a ton of sense.

But guess what? The ACC can be dissolved with 12 votes. If the Big 10 and SEC both moved to 20 each that would require 12 schools.

Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Boston College put you at 6 and solidify your hold over New England and the beltway.
ss
For the SEC it's Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech

Why that grouping? At 20 schools it is highly likely that all rivalries are contained, or need to be as no more than 1 OOC game is likely to be on the schedule.

B1G:

North: Boston College, Notre Dame, Purdue, Rutgers, Syracuse

East: Maryland, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech

South: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State,

West: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin

SEC:

East: Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State

South: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

North: Duke, Clemson, North Carolina, N.C. State, South Carolina

West: Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana State, Missouri, Texas A&M

PAC:

North: Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, Washington State

West: Arizona, Arizona State, California, Cal Los Angeles, Southern Cal

East: Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

South: Colorado, Texas, Texas Tech, T.C.U., Utah

Now why all 3 North Carolina schools? They'll want to stay together and would refuse any kind of move that didn't keep them so. Georgia Tech to preserve and restore old rivalries and they are AAU. Clemson and F.S.U. to preserve rivalries.

Virginia is now virtually a blue state so those two to the Big 10 make sense especially with N.D. and the former Big East schools.

Baylor, West Virginia, Louisville, Wake Forest and Miami can look to elevate the best of the G5 and find their way into a new P Conference.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2019 12:44 AM by JRsec.)
01-26-2019 12:38 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

At this stage, the PAC is struggling with forcing their Commissioner to adopt a reasonable approach to renting office space. I don't think they've got it together right now.

They did decide to end their contract with Levi's Stadium for the title game, and that was a smart move.

To be fair to Larry Scott, he did go all out to land Texas and Oklahoma, but it sounds like the Presidents weren't willing to compromise on much.
01-26-2019 11:03 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-25-2019 03:02 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

So disappointed Fox Sports didn’t retain Champions League or Europa League. It was great having three midweek days full of high quality soccer games televised on both FS1 and FS2.

TNT and TBS would be a great platform to show all those games, but they're too busy showing reruns of Friends.
01-26-2019 11:10 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-26-2019 11:10 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

TNT and TBS would be a great platform to show all those games, but they're too busy showing reruns of Friends.

When that stuff was running on FOX the ratings were crickets and the demographic didn't have the spending power to attract top advertisers.
01-26-2019 12:03 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2019 12:03 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

When that stuff was running on FOX the ratings were crickets and the demographic didn't have the spending power to attract top advertisers.

The bad part about those games is the time difference. They're being shown in the middle of the day in the US during the work week whereas they're primetime events in Europe.

On the weekends, some of the leagues can get by with the difference because most Americans are off work and generally get up early enough to watch the best matches.

I think one of the biggest problems with sticking the games on FS1 and FS2 was that they had less visibility out of the gate. Combine that with FOX's notorious inability to promote their own product. The Bundesliga(German soccer league) gets pretty poor ratings from what I understand on FOX and FS1. And that's even comparing apples to apples with the EPL that runs during the same time slots on NBC and NBCSN.

TNT and TBS are better platforms, but I do agree that it would be unwise to expect Champions League to garner any huge ratings. I'm just surprised Turner bothered to buy the rights, but keep airing reruns of shows that people have seen a million times.
01-26-2019 04:12 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-26-2019 04:12 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

The bad part about those games is the time difference. They're being shown in the middle of the day in the US during the work week whereas they're primetime events in Europe.

On the weekends, some of the leagues can get by with the difference because most Americans are off work and generally get up early enough to watch the best matches.

I think one of the biggest problems with sticking the games on FS1 and FS2 was that they had less visibility out of the gate. Combine that with FOX's notorious inability to promote their own product. The Bundesliga(German soccer league) gets pretty poor ratings from what I understand on FOX and FS1. And that's even comparing apples to apples with the EPL that runs during the same time slots on NBC and NBCSN.

TNT and TBS are better platforms, but I do agree that it would be unwise to expect Champions League to garner any huge ratings. I'm just surprised Turner bothered to buy the rights, but keep airing reruns of shows that people have seen a million times.

Forgive me for going old man again, but there is nothing really original on TV other than the BBC's Killing Eve which is bizarre but interesting. Even the movies we get today are remakes of old ones or story lines out of Stan Lee comics. And if they are halfway original there is so much CGI or way too much political preachiness to them to be worth a hoot.

My wife goes to bed to the old Perry Mason's and I catch NYPDBlue mostly because I missed all of television in the 90's working long hours. As for sports we watch them with the ******* announcers muted. Those guys have screwed up so much of my enjoyment of sports that I can't begin to describe it. All I want is for somebody to tell me the things going on in the game that I can't see, like who the penalty was called on and then show me that play, not a play from 3 downs ago, or who the foul was called on and how many total fouls they now have (a lost art in broadcasting) and show me the foul over again instead of refusing to out of respect which for the most part these days in basketball is too woeful to believe. I don't want to hear about network TV shows, or see the celebrities, or have a guest interviewee who speaks over half of the half and which the camera either splits the screen with, or causes me to miss the whole play.

I've never had violent tendencies but the network sports producers would be in jeopardy if they were within reach when that crap is going on.
01-26-2019 04:35 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2019 04:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-26-2019 04:12 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-25-2019 03:02 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  So disappointed Fox Sports didn’t retain Champions League or Europa League. It was great having three midweek days full of high quality soccer games televised on both FS1 and FS2.

Forgive me for going old man again, but there is nothing really original on TV other than the BBC's Killing Eve which is bizarre but interesting. Even the movies we get today are remakes of old ones or story lines out of Stan Lee comics. And if they are halfway original there is so much CGI or way too much political preachiness to them to be worth a hoot.

My wife goes to bed to the old Perry Mason's and I catch NYPDBlue mostly because I missed all of television in the 90's working long hours. As for sports we watch them with the ******* announcers muted. Those guys have screwed up so much of my enjoyment of sports that I can't begin to describe it. All I want is for somebody to tell me the things going on in the game that I can't see, like who the penalty was called on and then show me that play, not a play from 3 downs ago, or who the foul was called on and how many total fouls they now have (a lost art in broadcasting) and show me the foul over again instead of refusing to out of respect which for the most part these days in basketball is too woeful to believe. I don't want to hear about network TV shows, or see the celebrities, or have a guest interviewee who speaks over half of the half and which the camera either splits the screen with, or causes me to miss the whole play.

I've never had violent tendencies but the network sports producers would be in jeopardy if they were within reach when that crap is going on.

Oddly enough, watching British announcers call a game(soccer) they grew up with is more akin to the old school you're describing than anything domestically these days.

Their explanation of the nuances of the game is part of the fun. They stick to the action and they may crack a joke every now and then, but it's relevant to the play rather than a random distraction.

It might be a part of why I've come to enjoy the game so much.
01-26-2019 04:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.