Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Link to NCAAF Transfer Portal List from 247
Papa_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice
Link to NCAAF Transfer Portal List from 247
Thought this would be an interesting link for everyone. According to 247, they keep this updated as a “live” version of the NCAA Transfer Portal.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footba...ferPortal/

After further review, this appears to be about 150 Div 1 players. Cannot tell how 247 decided on who’s listed? Rice’s Zach A. there, but no one else from Rice. But I guess it’s better than nothing.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 03:59 AM by Papa_Owl.)
01-24-2019 03:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

RE: Link to NCAAF Transfer Portal List from 247
Seems incomplete.

There are guys from other schools missing too.
01-24-2019 09:00 AM
Papa_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

(01-24-2019 09:00 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  Seems incomplete.

There are guys from other schools missing too.

I have heard there are over 1,000 Div 1 players in there. So I assume these are perhaps seen as the most interesting or news worthy by 247.
01-24-2019 09:45 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

Over 1,000... that's about as bad as the transfer situation in D1 men's basketball.

Is this entirely Karlgaard's fault or are there other factors in play?
01-24-2019 09:59 AM
Advertisement

InterestedX Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Oxford
That's what freedom looks like. Scholarships are one-year contracts. I can't imagine any of you would stay at a job you didn't like if there was another opportunity out there. In the past, these athletes didn't have a chance to change their minds so freely.
01-24-2019 10:59 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2019 10:59 AM)InterestedX Wrote:  That's what freedom looks like. Scholarships are one-year contracts. I can't imagine any of you would stay at a job you didn't like if there was another opportunity out there.

A person might if they thought staying would lead to better things later.

There's definitely a generational difference in attitudes on this.
01-24-2019 11:20 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

Too bad that coaches/players can't negotiate for 4-year scholarships or 1-year scholarships, whatever the sides mutually agree upon. Then make stiffer transfer rules for getting out of a multi-year scholarship early (with some flexibility based on personal circumstances and coaching changes). Gives the player a guarantee that he/she can't be forced out (if they want multi-year) while giving the program some stability. I'm sure there is something I didn't think of that makes it a crap idea.
01-24-2019 11:29 AM
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2019 09:59 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Over 1,000... that's about as bad as the transfer situation in D1 men's basketball.

It's not as bad as the MBB situation from a % perspective, but yes, it's getting worse.

I think my point with both MBB and FB is that our transfer rate is higher (than peer institutions in FB and than everybody in MBB).
01-24-2019 11:30 AM
temchugh Offline
1st String

(01-24-2019 09:59 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Over 1,000... that's about as bad as the transfer situation in D1 men's basketball.

The issue goes beyond G5 players transferring up to P5 schools. For football, this year there are lots stories this year about players transferring out of high profile and successful P5 programs.

For example

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...xas-aggies

It seems to me that more and more players are doing whatever they think is best from them as individuals. I'm sure that the quality and dynamics of their current program still has an influence, but, overall, "loyalty to the school/program" is less important than it used to be.

For better or worse, this is where things are today.
01-24-2019 11:49 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(01-24-2019 10:59 AM)InterestedX Wrote:  That's what freedom looks like. Scholarships are one-year contracts. I can't imagine any of you would stay at a job you didn't like if there was another opportunity out there. In the past, these athletes didn't have a chance to change their minds so freely.

Athletic scholarships may be one-year contracts, but I never hear of any instances of a university not honoring the full four years. Is it just me? It must be very rare. It looks like the academic institutions are fully committed to the student athletes in this regard, and they should be. In my opinion, litigation should be brought on any school that pulls a scholarship from a player for underperforming. That wouldn't be right, and I hope it never happens.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2019 05:57 PM by Ourland.)
01-24-2019 05:48 PM
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2019 05:48 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 10:59 AM)InterestedX Wrote:  That's what freedom looks like. Scholarships are one-year contracts. I can't imagine any of you would stay at a job you didn't like if there was another opportunity out there. In the past, these athletes didn't have a chance to change their minds so freely.

Athletic scholarships may be one-year contracts, but I never hear of any instances of a university not honoring the full four years. Is it just me? It must be very rare. It looks like the academic institutions are fully committed to the student athletes in this regard, and they should be. In my opinion, litigation should be brought on any school that pulls a scholarship from a player for underperforming. That wouldn't be right, and I hope it never happens.

The way it typically works is a coach will say “transfer or we’ll put you on medical (which means that your school gets paid for but you’re ineligible to play and don’t count against the 85).”
01-24-2019 06:03 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators

How do you think Rice wound up with Nick Fanuzzi from Alabama after 1 year? Alabama (among other successful programs) has this history of players "seeking" transfers due to unforeseen circumstances after 1 or 2 years.

Changing sports, I think Rhoades "ran" off a few players when he first got to Rice, too.

Schools want you to think it's rare, but mutual separation isn't always about the player wanting to go elsewhere (often to a lesser school).
01-24-2019 06:11 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(01-24-2019 06:11 PM)gsloth Wrote:  

How do you think Rice wound up with Nick Fanuzzi from Alabama after 1 year? Alabama (among other successful programs) has this history of players "seeking" transfers due to unforeseen circumstances after 1 or 2 years.

Changing sports, I think Rhoades "ran" off a few players when he first got to Rice, too.

Schools want you to think it's rare, but mutual separation isn't always about the player wanting to go elsewhere (often to a lesser school).

Yup. Nizar Kapic, Ross Wilson, and Denzel Davis are all former basketball players who weren't on the team for their entire time at Rice but did graduate as "medical" casualties.
01-24-2019 06:30 PM
Advertisement

Papa_Owl Offline
Water Engineer

(01-24-2019 03:41 AM)Papa_Owl Wrote:  Thought this would be an interesting link for everyone. According to 247, they keep this updated as a “live” version of the NCAA Transfer Portal.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footba...ferPortal/

After further review, this appears to be about 150 Div 1 players. Cannot tell how 247 decided on who’s listed? Rice’s Zach A. there, but no one else from Rice. But I guess it’s better than nothing.

247 has now sorted the list by position, which makes it a bit easier to go through. Looks like they are also updating daily.
01-25-2019 08:08 AM
Ourland Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(01-24-2019 06:03 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

The way it typically works is a coach will say “transfer or we’ll put you on medical (which means that your school gets paid for but you’re ineligible to play and don’t count against the 85).”

Okay I see. I'm assuming this doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's typically used on the players who have chronic injury problems. The prospect of playing time must be very dim if that were the case. I could see a mutual separation making sense, and the school has to honor the full schalorship if he stays.
01-25-2019 01:22 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(01-25-2019 01:22 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(01-24-2019 06:03 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  

Okay I see. I'm assuming this doesn't happen often, and when it does, it's typically used on the players who have chronic injury problems. The prospect of playing time must be very dim if that were the case. I could see a mutual separation making sense, and the school has to honor the full schalorship if he stays.

At Rice, yes... Players who go on medical are the ones who can't stay healthy.

Not necessarily true at every school.
01-25-2019 01:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.