Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Disney has lost a billion on streaming
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Hulu is losing a lot and the BamTech purchase was expensive and primarily to obtain technology instead of content even though it included MLB and NHL out-of-market rights.

With Disney taking Fox’s share of Hulu and Comcast Universal apparently pulling out I could see Hulu eventually being a hub of sorts for Disney

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/18/disneys-...arted.html
01-19-2019 01:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Disney has lost a billion on streaming
(01-19-2019 01:16 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Hulu is losing a lot and the BamTech purchase was expensive and primarily to obtain technology instead of content even though it included MLB and NHL out-of-market rights.

With Disney taking Fox’s share of Hulu and Comcast Universal apparently pulling out I could see Hulu eventually being a hub of sorts for Disney

I can understand how these are losing ventures out of the gate. It takes time to build a brand or introduce new technology. That part I don't think is strange.

But here's what I haven't figured out...

Why bother buying more of Hulu if you were going to create an additional service? A service that acts as a competitor?

That and why not bundle your sports content and scripted content into one service to make it more appealing to a wider audience?
01-19-2019 07:53 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
From what I have read Disney+ will house the family content while Hulu will house the adult content. I'm sure they will offer a bundling discount if you get all 3 of Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+
01-19-2019 08:11 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Here is an idea. Sell ads for your streaming games to fill the dead air you create for other platforms of ads

The part of the article I would like to see is who is actually buying ESPN+. Are the numbers meeting expectations? Seems crazy that you would start a subscription service when u can’t even get ads sold on the time you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-19-2019 08:39 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-19-2019 07:53 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 01:16 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Hulu is losing a lot and the BamTech purchase was expensive and primarily to obtain technology instead of content even though it included MLB and NHL out-of-market rights.

I can understand how these are losing ventures out of the gate. It takes time to build a brand or introduce new technology. That part I don't think is strange.

Yes, E.g., even with our kvetching about the declining cable business, Disney earned more profit in 2018 than Netflix has cumulatively in its entire history, but Netflix's market cap is about the same as Disney's. I'm talking profits here, not revenue.

Microsoft made more in profit in the last *six months* of 2018 than Amazon has cumulatively in its entire history, and Amazon lost money the first 14 years it was publicly listed, yet Jeff Bezos has a personal net worth (thanks to Amazon stock) that is $45 Billion more than Bill Gates.

With some of these tech companies, market cap, which is what really matters, has little to do with actual current profits.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 09:21 AM by quo vadis.)
01-19-2019 09:16 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
[/quote]

Yes, E.g., even with our kvetching about the declining cable business, Disney earned more profit in 2018 than Netflix has cumulatively in its entire history, but Netflix's market cap is about the same as Disney's. I'm talking profits here, not revenue.

Microsoft made more in profit in the last *six months* of 2018 than Amazon has cumulatively in its entire history, and Amazon lost money the first 14 years it was publicly listed, yet Jeff Bezos has a personal net worth (thanks to Amazon stock) that is $45 Billion more than Bill Gates.

With some of these tech companies, market cap, which is what really matters, has little to do with actual current profits.
[/quote]

TRUE, TRUE.

Mind Boggling but so true.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 10:03 AM by IHAVETRIED.)
01-19-2019 10:02 AM
Advertisement

Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I'm not sure Hulu was part of Disney's original plan. Initially ABC, NBC, and FOX each had a 30% stake in Hulu. ABC will get the FOX share with its FOX purchase. That greatly devalues NBC's share. ABC has controlling interest so they don't "need" to buy it. NBC "needs" to sell it because they don't want to invest money in a company that a competitor has controlling interest in. NBC could sell to a 3rd party but a minority stake has limited value.

The $1billion doesn't surprise me. This has always been a long-term investment for them.
01-19-2019 10:06 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-19-2019 01:16 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  the BamTech purchase was expensive and primarily to obtain technology instead of content

I will admit that I don't understand accounting, but...

Is a purchase made to acquire technology really a "loss", or is it an "investment"?

If someone pays $500,000 for a house and a piece of land, they didn't lose $500,000; they spent $500,000 and acquired some property. Now, if the property turns out to be entirely worthless and they later abandon it without even getting $1 for it, then they have lost $500,000. But only if what they bought turns out to be worthless.
01-19-2019 01:14 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Im trying to figure out what Disney gets for their greater Hulu ownership. If they pull out, are Comcast/NBC and FOX still required to supply their content to Hulu? If not, I dont see all that much value in just buying the Hulu name. Bsically, your just buying a streaming platform bereft of content other than what Disney brings to it. There just inst that much Hulu original content. Basically---is the resulting Hulu really any different from the proposed Disney streaming networks?
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 01:50 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-19-2019 01:49 PM
4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
(01-19-2019 01:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im trying to figure out what Disney gets for their greater Hulu ownership. If they pull out, are Comcast/NBC and FOX still required to supply their content to Hulu? If not, I dont see all that much value in just buying the Hulu name. Bsically, your just buying a streaming platform bereft of content other than what Disney brings to it. There just inst that much Hulu original content. Basically---is the resulting Hulu really any different from the proposed Disney streaming networks?

Fox is selling their content to Disney, so why would they keep the platform they were using to market that content?
01-19-2019 02:13 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-19-2019 02:13 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 01:49 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im trying to figure out what Disney gets for their greater Hulu ownership. If they pull out, are Comcast/NBC and FOX still required to supply their content to Hulu? If not, I dont see all that much value in just buying the Hulu name. Bsically, your just buying a streaming platform bereft of content other than what Disney brings to it. There just inst that much Hulu original content. Basically---is the resulting Hulu really any different from the proposed Disney streaming networks?

Fox is selling their content to Disney, so why would they keep the platform they were using to market that content?

No---FOX is selling SOME of their content to Disney. Thats why Im asking what they get with the FOX Hulu share. Thats not really clear. Remember---FOX is retaining big FOX, FOX News, and FS-1 and FS2. Those are not going to Disney.
01-19-2019 03:13 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Hulu has a built in brand and subscription base. Their is value in that. New Fox wont really own anything but will be an established platform. They will likely beneift from continuing to use Hulu as the online distribution. Losing NBC and AT&T content might sting a bit though
01-19-2019 05:08 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(01-19-2019 01:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 01:16 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  the BamTech purchase was expensive and primarily to obtain technology instead of content

I will admit that I don't understand accounting, but...

Is a purchase made to acquire technology really a "loss", or is it an "investment"?

If someone pays $500,000 for a house and a piece of land, they didn't lose $500,000; they spent $500,000 and acquired some property. Now, if the property turns out to be entirely worthless and they later abandon it without even getting $1 for it, then they have lost $500,000. But only if what they bought turns out to be worthless.

I'm not sure if that's what's happening here, or if BAMTech and Hulu actually have expenses that exceed revenues by $1B.

I'm still trying to figure that out.

EDIT: Reading the filing linked by the link, I *think* that the Disney streaming service is operating at a loss, but I don't know if that's real or paper. The big cost is media rights, which increased. Is that a real cost for Disney, or is that moving money from Disney Technologies to Disney Entertainment divisions? Or is that money actually leaving the Disney empire (fees paid to MLB, WWE which use BAMTech tech? Hulu partners?)

(01-19-2019 03:13 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 02:13 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  Fox is selling their content to Disney, so why would they keep the platform they were using to market that content?

No---FOX is selling SOME of their content to Disney. Thats why Im asking what they get with the FOX Hulu share. Thats not really clear. Remember---FOX is retaining big FOX, FOX News, and FS-1 and FS2. Those are not going to Disney.

The content's ALL being sold to Disney. The Fox movie and TV production studios, their catalogs are all included in the deal. Fox News and Fox Sports don't really create content with any lasting value. And the scripted shows on the Fox network are the properties of the studios. (A lot of them have been Fox Television productions, like the Simpsons. They'll air on Fox OTA in first run, but after that they're Disney properties if they're Fox Twentieth Television, or revert to whatever production company produced them.)
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 06:14 PM by johnbragg.)
01-19-2019 06:02 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Hulu has value in several ways.
First they have rebroadcast rights to several cable channels programs, some inventory of original content, and development deals. They will presumably lose the NBC Universal content and maybe future Fox content but probably retain old Fox content.

That makes Hulu complimentary to Disney+

Hulu already has established subscribers so avoids the customer acquisition woes and costs.

Hulu also offers a cable replacement service. Contracts for content are already negotiated and customers already are signed up.

So Hulu TV is in place as cable replacement and programming from Disney channels is secure there. The Direct TV Now customer could face losing ESPN in a carriage dispute. That won’t happen on Hulu TV.

Hulu+ offers two tiers of programming roughly similar to Netflix. Tier 1 is cheaper but has ads and Tier 2 is ad free.

It can become a hub to manage your ESPN+, Disney+, MLB and NHL subscriptions.
01-20-2019 11:41 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(01-20-2019 11:41 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Hulu has value in several ways.
First they have rebroadcast rights to several cable channels programs, some inventory of original content, and development deals. They will presumably lose the NBC Universal content and maybe future Fox content but probably retain old Fox content.

That makes Hulu complimentary to Disney+

Hulu already has established subscribers so avoids the customer acquisition woes and costs.

Hulu also offers a cable replacement service. Contracts for content are already negotiated and customers already are signed up.

So Hulu TV is in place as cable replacement and programming from Disney channels is secure there. The Direct TV Now customer could face losing ESPN in a carriage dispute. That won’t happen on Hulu TV.

Hulu+ offers two tiers of programming roughly similar to Netflix. Tier 1 is cheaper but has ads and Tier 2 is ad free.

It can become a hub to manage your ESPN+, Disney+, MLB and NHL subscriptions.

I get what you're saying. I'm just not sure why Disney would bother creating another streaming service in addition to what Hulu gives them.

I can somewhat understand why Disney would create an additional service for ESPN if they have Hulu in the fold. It gives them an opportunity to monetize additional content and I'm not sure they'd want Hulu to broadcast everything if they're going to use Hulu TV as a cable replacement.

But with all the scripted content...if you've got a ready made platform with Hulu then I'm not sure why you need another one that you're going to have to build from the ground up.
01-20-2019 12:51 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-20-2019 12:51 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I get what you're saying. I'm just not sure why Disney would bother creating another streaming service in addition to what Hulu gives them.

Because this whole approach is still new, so to an extent everyone involved is experimenting, trying to figure it out. This is part of that process.
01-20-2019 01:06 PM
Advertisement

4x4hokies Offline
All American

I Root For: VT
(01-19-2019 03:13 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 02:13 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  

They are selling all of their non-sports productions. Fox will only lease the television rights to shows. 21st Century Fox was the one making the shows and they're getting sold to Disney.
01-20-2019 02:01 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(01-19-2019 10:02 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  I can understand how these are losing ventures out of the gate. It takes time to build a brand or introduce new technology. That part I don't think is strange.

[/quote]

TRUE, TRUE.

[/quote]

The difference is that Amazon has alliance with Vanguard and Fidelity. Vanguard and Fidelity hold most shares of AMZN and never sell them. They only pump the price up and never let it down. In other words, MSFT is fairly traded in stock market while AMZN is thinly traded.
01-20-2019 02:27 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
ESPN + added almost 600,000 subs this weekend alone

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-relea...ing-night/
01-20-2019 05:44 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-19-2019 10:02 AM)IHAVETRIED Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 09:16 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Yes, E.g., even with our kvetching about the declining cable business, Disney earned more profit in 2018 than Netflix has cumulatively in its entire history, but Netflix's market cap is about the same as Disney's. I'm talking profits here, not revenue.

TRUE, TRUE.

It's not "mind boggling" when you think about it.

Market cap (and stock prices) reflect future expected profits.

Amazon and Microsoft, as of today, have almost the exact same market cap (about $820 billion). That's 100% justified.

If you don't think Amazon is going to have one of the highest profit levels of any firm 10 years from now, then I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
01-20-2019 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.