Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB: Dukes travel to UNCW (Friday, 7pm, caa.tv)
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
MyBB WBB: Dukes travel to UNCW (Friday, 7pm, caa.tv)
The Good Gals travel for the coastal swing this weekend starting with a stop in Wilmington Friday evening. The Seahawks are a hot team as they've won 4 of their last 5 and are coming off a win at Elon. They are sitting alone in 3rd place in the CAA with a 2-1 record currently.

UNCW is 9-5 overall (7-5 vs D1). This will be their 4th game this season against a team currently in the RPI Top 100. They lost the other 3 - at Ohio by 23, at UNCheat by 27, and at Pitt by just 4.

The Hawks are 6-0 at home. 2 wins over non-D1. The other 4 wins were over teams with 300 or worse RPI's currently.

5'7" R-Sr. Guard, Shrita Parker, is UNCW's top scorer at 18.6 ppg. Along with 5'10" Jr. Guard, GiGi Smith, they have combined to take half of their team's field goal attempts on the season. Smith is averaging scoring 14.4 ppg. Their 3rd leading scorer is also a 5'10" Jr. Guard, Lacey Suggs, at 9.1 ppg. So, the strategy looks pretty straight forward for Coach O and the Good Gals - that is, contain their perimeter players and look to take advantage in the paint.

This is UNCW Head Coach Karen Barefoot's 2nd season leading their program. She moved down the coast from leading ODU's program for 6 years.

This game will be streamed via UNCW's stretch portal.

Take care of business on the road, Dukes!!
01-17-2019 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LovethoseDukes Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
RE: WBB: Dukes travel to UNCW (Friday, 7pm, caa.tv)
I would love to make this Southern swing trip one day.....women play at UNCW on Friday and College of Charleston on Sunday. Good luck ladies!!
01-17-2019 09:33 AM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Wife and I will be making a slight detour down I95 tomorrow to attend the game at UNCW. Have made the UNCW/CofC trip a couple of times and it is a lot of fun. Won't be able to make the Sunday game at CofC as we will be in FL then.

Go Dukes!!

Brian
01-17-2019 12:23 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
Side note on ODU since Barefoot was replaced by Nikki McCray-Penson--they have done a pretty good turnaround in just 2 years after starting out with (I think) one player left from Barefoot's team. Nikki's done a hella good job recruiting and they're 12-5 so far this year, 3-2 in conference play, and just trounced La Tech 70-59. (Not a Barefoot fan at all here but a big McCray fan since she was at Tennessee)
01-18-2019 10:44 AM
Advertisement

ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Wife and I are here in Wilmington getting ready for the game tonight. Hope to see some purple clad fans tonight!!

Brian
01-18-2019 03:22 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Tie game at 63

Uncw ball with 20 secs left
01-18-2019 08:48 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

Uncw hits a 3...up 66-63 with 1.9 left.

Not looking good
01-18-2019 08:49 PM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

Dukes had a look at a 3 but just couldn't make it.

I think there goes our chance at an at-large. Gotta win the tournament now.
01-18-2019 08:50 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

A horrible 4th quarter collapse again. That's three losses for WBB we can blame on that now - Hampton, Wake Forest, and now UNCW. They outscored us 15-2 in the first 5 1/2 minutes of the 4th. Got to turn it around now and get ready for the next game.
01-18-2019 09:01 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2019 08:50 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Dukes had a look at a 3 but just couldn't make it.

You got it. Hampton loss revisited. Damn.
01-18-2019 09:29 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(01-18-2019 09:29 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 08:50 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  Dukes had a look at a 3 but just couldn't make it.

You got it. Hampton loss revisited. Damn.

Bummer - not the time, team, or place for that loss. Hopefully the glass season will be broken at the tournry.
01-19-2019 11:19 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Disappointing loss. I felt the team wasn’t playing particularly focused, and got away from working together. Smalls in the first half, (especially in the 2nd qtr.) was playing street-ball like she was a one-person tornado. The “team” is potentially very, very good, but if they play undisciplined, even one player, and it starts leading to turnovers and poor shot selection or defense, they will get beat by other CAA teams. It happened last night, and there are much better teams than UNCW (Towson for example) yet to play. Hopefully this loss helps recenter the team.
01-19-2019 11:52 AM
jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(01-19-2019 11:52 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  Disappointing loss. I felt the team wasn’t playing particularly focused, and got away from working together. Smalls in the first half, (especially in the 2nd qtr.) was playing street-ball like she was a one-person tornado. The “team” is potentially very, very good, but if they play undisciplined, even one player, and it starts leading to turnovers and poor shot selection or defense, they will get beat by other CAA teams. It happened last night, and there are much better teams than UNCW (Towson for example) yet to play. Hopefully this loss helps recenter the team.

I did not see the game, I was at a local HS game instead. When the team is on the road it's an opportunity to catch up with that. Anyway after a loss, the first thing I now look at in the Box Score is the turnovers Stat. When one player has as many as the entire other team that is a formula for disaster. Our assist to turnover ratio has not been good. Last night it was bad. On the other hand UNCW had a great ratio. Some players get stubborn with their persistent dribbling trying to figure out on the fly what to do next, making it up with poor improvisation, leading to (drumroll) Turnovers! I liken it to poor speech making skills when the speaker is filling the empty space with Ahh Ahh Ahhs , trying to figure out what to say next. Stop with the Ahhs and give the ball to LOGAN. Just like with the men I want Parker handling the ball.
01-19-2019 01:15 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Wife and I were at the game. Very unfocused effort by the Dukes. UNCW played out of their minds and were clogging up the middle and harassing the JMU ball handlers all game long. They had a boatload of steals from everyone and in particular Smalls. Everyone seemed to be having trouble holding on the the ball and UNCW took major advantage of that. Not wanting to pile on Kimiah but she played a very self centered game last night and with her 8 turnovers in really put the squeeze on the Dukes. Team needs to really tighten thinks up. Also the Dukes only had 10 FT's and made only 4 so that was also a contibutor to the loss.

Well time to move on and have them get ready for CofC tomorrow. Expecting better things the next few games.

Brian
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2019 09:11 PM by ParentofJMUMRDs.)
01-19-2019 09:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.