Toledo Blade to cut down to only five days of printed newspaper
01-15-2019 11:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Toledo’s wonderful newspaper
Oh my, how the times are changing. It's going to be a sad day when the print newspaper industry comes to a complete end.
01-16-2019 12:00 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-16-2019 12:00 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  Oh my, how the times are changing. It's going to be a sad day when the print newspaper industry comes to a complete end.

Agree. For years, the ritual of coffee and newspaper got my day started. Can’t say I’ll miss the Blade per se but in general it will be sad to watch the ultimate demise of the industry.
01-16-2019 05:49 AM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
For years I got two papers, the Blade and the Free Press home delivered.

People just don't read anymore, everything is video content.
01-16-2019 08:30 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(01-16-2019 08:30 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  For years I got two papers, the Blade and the Free Press home delivered.

You can tell I’m old- if I click on a story and see that it’s video I ignore it.
01-16-2019 10:43 AM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(01-16-2019 08:30 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  For years I got two papers, the Blade and the Free Press home delivered.

Actually plenty of news content to read online, that is the real change, making this information quick and easy to find rather than purchase or carry around a newspaper, and this is someone from the age of 12 to their 50s would read 1-2 newspapers a day, more when traveling. Now people want it free and accessible 27/7.

The people who just don't read anymore and consume large volumes of video content are under the age of 25, that's clearly a significant social and market trend that is slowly transforming all news media.
01-16-2019 02:22 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm way over the age of 25 and haven't read a newspaper in more than a decade. Plenty of other ways to get news, and not just via video. Twitter, google news, facebook, on-line versions of papers somewhat more reputable than the blade, etc. all deliver news and they do it instantly, rather than just once a day. Plus I can get a variety of news programs on cable or on-line from sources like the BBC which I find much more tolerable to watch than most of the US news networks.

But, even if you want to read the local paper, I find the on-line versions much more preferable these days than getting a physical paper copy. Maybe I am just a really old millennial ... although I still like to have physical copies of the music that I listen to. So go figure.
01-16-2019 03:42 PM
Advertisement

UTNORTH Offline
Water Engineer

I too miss newspapers. I do get an e-version of the local paper. I delivered the South Bend Tribune from ages 12-16, and financed a good portion of my college education from the income. Our family subscribed to 3 daily papers and usually got 4 or 5 newspapers on Sunday, which my dad insisted I read! I was unstoppable on a current events quiz.
01-16-2019 06:19 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I read the Blade paper edition everyday with breakfast before work and I find this very disappointing news. I am an engineer and mix with computers all day long so I certainly don’t want a computer on my breakfast table triggering more work related stress before I even leave home.

Go Rockets!
01-17-2019 03:39 PM
Advertisement

Babes boy Offline
1st String

Was the morning paper the Toledo Times? Then the Blade in the afternoon.That’s how old I am. Then they just went to the single paper. Use to read if front to back. Not every article but I would read a lot of it. Now I’m retired and don’t get out to get one every day. They won’t deliver it to me in Hillsdale
01-17-2019 10:12 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(01-17-2019 03:39 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  I read the Blade paper edition everyday with breakfast before work and I find this very disappointing news. I am an engineer and mix with computers all day long so I certainly don’t want a computer on my breakfast table triggering more work related stress before I even leave home.

Go Rockets!

Disappointing news? I suppose, but certainly can't be surprising given national trends in the "print news". The day of the old format black ink newspaper is gone and dead, just so much easier, convenient, and cheaper to seek news online. I knew it was all over for newspapers, when I as someone who read 2-3 papers a day since mid 1970s, stopped about 5 years ago. You certainly miss the habit and routine at first, and I thought it would be hard to adapt and move on, but surprising it really was not. Finding anyone under age of 50 reading any paper is a rare occurrence, and even old folks are moving on quickly leaving them behind.
01-18-2019 03:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.