Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

May's Brexit cave in crushed
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
May's Brexit cave in crushed
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46885828

"...MPs voted by 432 votes to 202 to reject the deal, which sets out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU on 29 March.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has now tabled a vote of no confidence in the government, which could trigger a general election.

Mrs May said she would make time for a debate on the motion on Wednesday.

Mr Corbyn said the confidence vote would allow the Commons to "give its verdict on the sheer incompetence of this government"...."
01-15-2019 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
RE: May's Brexit cave in crushed
what's next? I have no idea where this goes from here...
01-15-2019 03:17 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-15-2019 03:17 PM)No Bull Wrote:  what's next? I have no idea where this goes from here...

Can go 10 different ways. Pause the exit, call a general election, May resigns, do another referendum, etc.
01-15-2019 03:19 PM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Bad thing is the people who voted for Brexit won so Britain should leave the EU. Instead you have the opposition to Brexit wanting a do over and more than likely if a second vote is taken
Brexit will fail. So essentially you set up a system where you can drag out an issue and have countless votes till you get the vote you like. Kind of like Judge shopping.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 03:39 PM by UofMTigerTim.)
01-15-2019 03:39 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-15-2019 03:39 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  Bad thing is the people who voted for Brexit won so Britain should leave the EU. Instead you have the opposition to Brexit wanting a do over and more than likely if a second vote is taken Brexit will fail.
Don’t be too sure.

Quote:So essentially you set up a system where you can drag out an issue and have countless votes till you get the vote you like. Kind of like Judge shopping.
Yes.
01-15-2019 03:43 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The powers that be have created a win win situation for themselves. If May is successful, UK pretty much becomes an EU affiliate with no voting rights. If May is unsuccessful, her government will topple, a new referendum vote will be held which will most likely fail at this point due to fearmongering and inept UK leadership.

The only way out is for the UK to take a short term hit in the form of a hard Brexit for long term gain, as the EU is not going to make it easy to walk out or negotiate a fair separation.

Do the British public have the stomach to vote leave in a fear campaign knowing that it will be a hard Brexit? I have my doubts
01-15-2019 03:43 PM
Advertisement

49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-15-2019 03:39 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  Bad thing is the people who voted for Brexit won so Britain should leave the EU. Instead you have the opposition to Brexit wanting a do over and more than likely if a second vote is taken
Brexit will fail. So essentially you set up a system where you can drag out an issue and have countless votes till you get the vote you like. Kind of like Judge shopping.

So Union voting rules.

Vote and vote and vote again till you get the results you want, then never have another vote again.
01-15-2019 03:44 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2019 03:44 PM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 03:39 PM)UofMTigerTim Wrote:  Bad thing is the people who voted for Brexit won so Britain should leave the EU. Instead you have the opposition to Brexit wanting a do over and more than likely if a second vote is taken

So Union voting rules.

Vote and vote and vote again till you get the results you want, then never have another vote again.

Yep, a no politician will be "dumb" enough to allow a public referendum on this again. How this got on the ballot in the first place is a miracle.
01-15-2019 03:49 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

Mays's government wins the no confidence vote by 19. So good luck with that.
01-16-2019 05:12 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
I think her winning the no confidence vote is good. It means no 2nd referendum. She has stated that she will not extend the deadline and hit the hard brexit if need be
01-16-2019 05:59 PM
Claw Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
I think they'll be fine. The biggest thing I've heard them complain about is border crossings.
01-16-2019 06:08 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-16-2019 05:59 PM)Jugnaut Wrote:  I think her winning the no confidence vote is good. It means no 2nd referendum. She has stated that she will not extend the deadline and hit the hard brexit if need be

The conservatives had already voted not to replace her as party chief, so she was safe for 6 months with them. I think the conservatives are afraid they lose the election, so they united behind her in the no confidence vote as did the North Irish Unionists.
01-16-2019 06:24 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Now the question is will the deadline be postpones
01-16-2019 08:02 PM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
This really has been fascinating to follow. They call us disfunctional, but it's almost like they have gone so far out of their way to sabotage it.

I mean they voted for it, but the hanger ons and deep state are doing everything to circumvent the will of the people.

Mmmm where have I seen this on ebefore?
01-16-2019 08:13 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
This is all a planned scam by the "deep state" in england to overwrite the will of the people. Look familiar?
01-16-2019 08:26 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

The EU is making this needlessly complicated because they want leaving to be painful and chaotic. Fear is a powerful motivator for other EU nations to maintain the status quo
01-16-2019 10:04 PM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

(01-16-2019 08:26 PM)Eagleaidaholic Wrote:  This is all a planned scam by the "deep state" in england to overwrite the will of the people. Look familiar?

More like the Scottish don't want to leave the EU and the EU is making it difficult.
01-17-2019 07:17 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(01-16-2019 10:04 PM)solohawks Wrote:  The EU is making this needlessly complicated because they want leaving to be painful and chaotic. Fear is a powerful motivator for other EU nations to maintain the status quo

It is going to suck for the EU when the clock runs out and forces a hard Brexit and the sun still rises the next day.
01-17-2019 08:11 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2019 08:11 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 10:04 PM)solohawks Wrote:  The EU is making this needlessly complicated because they want leaving to be painful and chaotic. Fear is a powerful motivator for other EU nations to maintain the status quo

It is going to suck for the EU when the clock runs out and forces a hard Brexit and the sun still rises the next day.

Exactly. While it may not "smooth" the UK will come out on the other side stronger
01-17-2019 08:24 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I still think the best answer for UK would be something like what Norway has--trade agreement but not full union. I'm not exactly sure how to get there from here, but I do think that would be the best answer.
01-17-2019 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.