For additional context, these conferences have this many teams rated above us:

ASUN (2 in top 50)
AAC (10)
CUSA (7)
Big South (3)
OVC (4)
SoCon (5)
Sun Belt (4)

UAB basketball is in a sad place indeed, #160.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 11:54 AM by BlazerGreen.)
01-14-2019 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebounder2u Offline
1st String

I Root For: Blazers
RE: Latest NET Rankings
Yep, definite a bad place, however, there are 200 teams ranked lower, including a few final 4 teams, national championship teams sweet 16 teams. Ye we are in a bad placed,but I believe we are one or two players from turning a corner. We needs some men, who play hard with experience, this team is heading into becoming a junior laden and experience team.
I believe this team if it can keep its nucleus together can have success in the future.
01-15-2019 10:13 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I Root For: UAB
Doesn't matter one way or another regarding NCAA tournament hopes.
We are in a new era regarding men's basketball.
Work towards playing our best at the end of the season.
If we can get a first round bye it helps.
Hope that we can put 3 or 4 victories together during tournament time.
Simple as that.

Haase was able to do that for 1 season and used it to move on.
01-15-2019 10:27 AM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
It's just one indicator of where programs are at a point in time. We have the potential to turn things around and finish much higher.

It does hurt to see not only traditional outlier programs like Murray State and Belmont above us but substantial percentages of leagues like the SoCon, Sun Belt, and OVC. All those teams face the same challenges we face and more.

When was the last time UAB was in the top 50 in the RPI/NET? Ever been to Lipscomb? Somehow a tiny school that looks like AUM was transported to Nashville managed it.

UAB's basketball program is underachieving, regardless of conference affiliation.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 11:58 AM by BlazerGreen.)
01-15-2019 11:46 AM
Shrack Offline
All American

Latest NET Rankings
We are 0-7 against current Top 200 RPI teams (average RPI 91). On average we've lost these games by 8 points.

8-0 against 201+ (average RPI 261). On average we win these games by 13 points.

We aren't good, but at least we are consistent lol.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
01-15-2019 12:39 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 12:39 PM)Shrack Wrote:  We are 0-7 against current Top 200 RPI teams (average RPI 91). On average we've lost these games by 8 points.

We lost at home to #204 Troy.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 12:55 PM by BlazerGreen.)
01-15-2019 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Shrack Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 12:54 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 12:39 PM)Shrack Wrote:  We are 0-7 against current Top 200 RPI teams (average RPI 91). On average we've lost these games by 8 points.

We lost at home to Troy, #204.
Eh was showing 190s on realtimerpi

01-15-2019 12:55 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 12:55 PM)Shrack Wrote:  

Whew, now I feel better. 03-puke
01-15-2019 01:19 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 12:55 PM)Shrack Wrote:  

Whew, now I feel better. 03-puke Didn't somebody say this was the best Troy team in a while? Looked like it at UAB and WKU maybe but the loss at home to Coastal and the 14 point loss at Little Rock says probably not. They made the NCAA's two seasons ago and we beat them by 20+ at home.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 01:37 PM by BlazerGreen.)
01-15-2019 01:23 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Teams are not the same all throughout the season. We played Troy when they were playing well. At that time it was stated that they MIGHT be the best Troy team, and they might have been when they were at Bartow. Not an excuse and had Perry s shot been a split second earlier, we wouldn’t be having this conversation
01-15-2019 01:58 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 01:58 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Teams are not the same all throughout the season. We played Troy when they were playing well. At that time it was stated that they MIGHT be the best Troy team, and they might have been when they were at Bartow. Not an excuse and had Perry s shot been a split second earlier, we wouldn’t be having this conversation

It was kind of an excuse at the time but they had just won at WKU so I get it. The results since then point more to the home loss being due to UAB's weakness rather than a major improvement in Troy basketball.

Men's basketball at #160 should be unacceptable at UAB. So should average attendance dipping below 3,000 a game. I'm not putting this all on Ehsan either. UAB needs to devote the resources to this foundational program. I think we can agree that it's been neglected.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 03:34 PM by BlazerGreen.)
01-15-2019 03:31 PM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I don’t think anyone has even said where we are is acceptable. That’s what gets me. Because I don’t jump up and down and demand the coach is fired I get labeled an apologist and sunshine pumper. I have said numberous times it’s unacceptable but acting like the world is coming to an end and berating the coach (and anyone that doesn’t demand a firing at least once a week) on social media does no good. I just know things will be evaluated at the end of the season and he will get one more year or we will have a coaching search. Bad mouthing everyone won’t speed up the process any more than not bad mouthing will slow it down.

Best I can do is support our current coach and team and continue to try and raise money to better the program. I just try and be real in my comments.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 03:51 PM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-15-2019 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
And FWIW I have been griping about our attendance being unacceptable since Anderson was here and we rarely filled the building so yea.
01-15-2019 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Until a booster (or poster, snicker) shows up with half a million for the buyout, you might as well get happy and hope HCRE finds his way. Nobody likes being mediocre. Especially the players and coaches. Rob's got 2 more years I think. The only thing he's doing wrong is not winning enough games, so he isn't going to be fired. Support is what this team needs most. We need win all our conference games at home and find a way to scratch out 4-5 wins on the road.
01-15-2019 04:05 PM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-15-2019 03:31 PM)BlazerGreen Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 01:58 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Teams are not the same all throughout the season. We played Troy when they were playing well. At that time it was stated that they MIGHT be the best Troy team, and they might have been when they were at Bartow. Not an excuse and had Perry s shot been a split second earlier, we wouldn’t be having this conversation

It was kind of an excuse at the time but they had just won at WKU so I get it. The results since then point more to the home loss being due to UAB's weakness rather than a major improvement in Troy basketball.

Men's basketball at #160 should be unacceptable at UAB. So should average attendance dipping below 3,000 a game. I'm not putting this all on Ehsan either. UAB needs to devote the resources to this foundational program. I think we can agree that it's been neglected.
Agree it has been neglected. Don't know for certain, but unfortunately I don't think there is much more in resources that can be devoted to basketball.
01-15-2019 04:23 PM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-15-2019 03:49 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I don’t think anyone has even said where we are is acceptable. That’s what gets me. Because I don’t jump up and down and demand the coach is fired I get labeled an apologist and sunshine pumper. I have said numberous times it’s unacceptable but acting like the world is coming to an end and berating the coach (and anyone that doesn’t demand a firing at least once a week) on social media does no good. I just know things will be evaluated at the end of the season and he will get one more year or we will have a coaching search. Bad mouthing everyone won’t speed up the process any more than not bad mouthing will slow it down.

Best I can do is support our current coach and team and continue to try and raise money to better the program. I just try and be real in my comments.

Agree with you 100%...
01-15-2019 04:24 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Since 1990 UAB had ZERO new football facilities, it was obvious where to start building. What would be the best starting point for new basketball resources and where could they be located?

New facilities made a huge difference in football so investing in new facilities for basketball looks resonable.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 05:48 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
01-15-2019 05:45 PM
Jball Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-15-2019 05:45 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  Since 1990 UAB had ZERO new football facilities, it was obvious where to start building. What would be the best starting point for new basketball resources and where could they be located?

New facilities made a huge difference in football so investing in new facilities for basketball looks resonable.
Practice facility.. renovate Bell gym.
01-15-2019 06:07 PM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-15-2019 04:24 PM)Jball Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 03:49 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  I don’t think anyone has even said where we are is acceptable. That’s what gets me. Because I don’t jump up and down and demand the coach is fired I get labeled an apologist and sunshine pumper. I have said numberous times it’s unacceptable but acting like the world is coming to an end and berating the coach (and anyone that doesn’t demand a firing at least once a week) on social media does no good. I just know things will be evaluated at the end of the season and he will get one more year or we will have a coaching search. Bad mouthing everyone won’t speed up the process any more than not bad mouthing will slow it down.

Agree with you 100%...

Me too.
01-15-2019 06:40 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

(01-15-2019 04:05 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Rob's got 2 more years I think. The only thing he's doing wrong is not winning enough games, so he isn't going to be fired. Support is what this team needs most.

Support is not coming until the program wins big. If he doesn't finish this season strong then the hole just becomes deeper, for him or the next coach. Which leads to Jball's comment...

(01-15-2019 04:23 PM)Jball Wrote:  Agree it has been neglected. Don't know for certain, but unfortunately I don't think there is much more in resources that can be devoted to basketball.

That may be what the UAB Company Line is but I say that and the subsidy cap are just more Carr and Associates thinking. We've been stuck in that BOT imposed mode since Black Friday, 2000. UAB football is proving decades of nay-saying was dead wrong. UAB athletics are a great investment, with benefits not just to the university but to the larger community it serves.

Not buying out Ehsan could be completely justified based on the department's current financial constraints and that is the crux of the problem.
01-15-2019 06:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.