UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bring Back the Auburn game plan
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Bring Back the Auburn game plan
Slow down all the games. We are bad trying to push the ball. We don't have the 7 to 8 man quality depth to play our games like we have been. Dead legs grabbing opponents driving past our defense. Dead legs shooting and missing free throws.

Just abandon these fast pace inbound sets and walk it up the floor unless we are pressed.

Its horrible losing to cow colleges or schools that don't hardly even care about basketball like UAB does.

We are toast if we don't make some changes.
01-12-2019 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bigdunks Offline
2nd String

RE: Bring Back the Auburn game plan
Hire Bucky McMillan. That plan seems to be working in football.
01-12-2019 08:33 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Basketball program is in a sad place.
01-12-2019 10:41 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(01-12-2019 10:41 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Basketball program is in a sad place.

Yeah, it's tough. I know the team and coaching staff are trying hard. It's just hasn't come together consistently under Ehsan, or Haase really. We can play some good basketball, at times. Then we go back to average or below.

I still think we could finish in the top four, particularly if Bryant can elevate his play. I keep hoping for a breakout game from him but it hasn't materialized.
01-13-2019 07:38 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

We can't pay people to transfer to UAB to play like Mountain Brook can.
01-13-2019 08:05 AM
HellBlazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB!
(01-12-2019 10:41 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Basketball program is in a sad place.

What he said!
01-14-2019 12:47 PM
Advertisement

Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(01-12-2019 08:33 PM)bigdunks Wrote:  Hire Bucky McMillan. That plan seems to be working in football.

(01-13-2019 08:05 AM)the_blazerman Wrote:  We can't pay people to transfer to UAB to play like Mountain Brook can.

This. McMillan would get UAB into serious trouble at some point.

As for slowing the game down, I totally agree with this. The offense does a pretty good job of slowing it down (KenPom says they have it for 18.9 seconds, which ranks 328/353), but the defense needs to figure out how to slow down the other team (they're on defense for 16.9 seconds, which is #98/353 - although that may be skewed since they've played 5 teams in the top 100)
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 01:26 PM by Auburn_Blazer.)
01-14-2019 01:19 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
So Mike Davis ball. Pass the ball around until there is five seconds on the shot clock, then run the play. Yeah that’ll pack them in. Isn’t that what people here are constantly complaining about?

We lost a conference game in the road... as did almost everyone else did in conference. We were in it (28 lead changes) until the very end when some questionable calls went against us
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 01:49 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-14-2019 01:47 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Thursday night one conference team won on the road. Saturday two teams won on the road. The road isn’t easy
01-14-2019 01:52 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
(01-14-2019 01:47 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  So Mike Davis ball. Pass the ball around until there is five seconds on the shot clock, then run the play. Yeah that’ll pack them in. Isn’t that what people here are constantly complaining about?

We lost a conference game in the road... as did almost everyone else did in conference. We were in it (28 lead changes) until the very end when some questionable calls went against us

So the team is supposed to play a style of basketball that doesn't give them a better chance to win, simply because it might be boring to the fans? Winning games and participating postseason tournaments explain the vast majority of what brings in fans.
01-14-2019 02:26 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2019 01:52 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Thursday night one conference team won on the road. Saturday two teams won on the road. The road isn’t easy

It seemed pretty easy to Troy.
01-14-2019 03:11 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-14-2019 03:11 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 01:52 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Thursday night one conference team won on the road. Saturday two teams won on the road. The road isn’t easy

It seemed pretty easy to Troy.

I wasn’t aware they were in the conference
01-14-2019 03:26 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

We just gotta win...

we did the slow down game and it worked against auburn. we also put on a full court press on the inbound and then backed them out of it to prevent wide open 3's then setup our defense.

It is boring but our team can't run without turnovers and mistakes.

I'd rather idiots get on the board and complain that we aren't fun to watch but its easier to endure after a bunch of winning.

anyways, I was just making a thread to start the conversation. Its not like we are going to do it.

I'll be at the next two games and I hope and pray that we win both but I don't expect it and don't really expect winning any road games with this team.(I hope I'm dead wrong about all this)
01-14-2019 07:32 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-14-2019 07:32 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  We just gotta win...

we did the slow down game and it worked against auburn. we also put on a full court press on the inbound and then backed them out of it to prevent wide open 3's then setup our defense.

I'd rather idiots get on the board and complain that we aren't fun to watch but its easier to endure after a bunch of winning.

anyways, I was just making a thread to start the conversation. Its not like we are going to do it.

I'll be at the next two games and I hope and pray that we win both but I don't expect it and don't really expect winning any road games with this team.(I hope I'm dead wrong about all this)

For the record, it did not work against Auburn.

UAB 71 Auburn 75 L
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 08:13 PM by Memphis Blazer.)
01-14-2019 08:11 PM
THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

(01-14-2019 08:11 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 07:32 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  We just gotta win...

For the record, it did not work against Auburn.

UAB 71 Auburn 75 L

Yes I'm aware of the final score. I was at the game. Being that I was at the game, unlike most of the people on this board, I saw us dominate (not score-wise just match-ups) a sweet-sixteen/Final-eight caliber team for probably 30 game minutes that we haven't done in many years.
01-14-2019 09:20 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

We're already one of the slowest paced teams in the country.

However, slowing down the pace only helps if there's a big talent disparity, and for conference games, no such disparity exists. When we slow down the pace, we make it more likely that we lose due to sheer luck since we're reducing the number of possessions in the game.
01-14-2019 09:36 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Our main problem is we don't have anyone to go to when we really need a basket like Chris Cokley over the last 4 years. Having a team that has multiple scoring options is OK until crunch time. We have lost late in games because of this - Auburn, LaTech & SMiss, for example.
01-14-2019 10:01 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(01-14-2019 09:36 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  We're already one of the slowest paced teams in the country.

However, slowing down the pace only helps if there's a big talent disparity, and for conference games, no such disparity exists. When we slow down the pace, we make it more likely that we lose due to sheer luck since we're reducing the number of possessions in the game.

Exactly
01-14-2019 10:04 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(01-14-2019 09:36 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  We're already one of the slowest paced teams in the country.

(01-14-2019 10:01 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Our main problem is we don't have anyone to go to when we really need a basket like Chris Cokley over the last 4 years. Having a team that has multiple scoring options is OK until crunch time. We have lost late in games because of this - Auburn, LaTech & SMiss, for example.

+1
01-15-2019 08:09 AM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-14-2019 08:11 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  For the record, it did not work against Auburn.

UAB 71 Auburn 75 L

They way people were talking afterwards you would have thought that the Auburn game was Eshan's signature win.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 09:25 AM by BlazerMatt.)
01-15-2019 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.