Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Info on ex-USM OC Dawson Heading to Houston...Buh bye!
Bookmark and Share
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
Info on ex-USM OC Dawson Heading to Houston...Buh bye!
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2019 11:24 AM by eaglebeaver.)
01-12-2019 10:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seminowl Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FSU & FAU
RE: Info on ex_USM OC Dawson Heading to Houston...Buh bye!
Losing that many coaches is never a good thing. Good luck on the coach hunt.
01-12-2019 11:21 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Info on ex-USM OC Dawson Heading to Houston...Buh bye!
Y'all got your wish and he is gone. We had such a bad offensive line this year and that is why he failed. Next year's offensive coordinator is going to look like a hero with a good offensive line in 2019.
01-12-2019 12:55 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
I think in the end S. Miss is going to find out this is a head coaching problem. Unlike Western that acted in 2 short but seem like long long long years....

S. Miss will live with the 5 to 8 wins for a long time before this coach is fired. I dont know if its luck or bad luck that S. Miss plays in the west where there's usually 3 wins every season. Add in the FCS and you are already at 4 wins, win two out of the other 8 and I believe this will be S. Miss football. Get a low hanging bowl win every 2 or 3 years gets you up to 7 and every 4 years you get a good enough team to make you think we are finally TTT ....

only to be let down

I would hope S. Miss wouldn't stand for this but you dont have the money in the bank from a few buyouts going the other way to deal with it. My guess is 6 years of very average football and if this coach ever hits that 9 in mark and wins the West....

you are stuck with him for a few more years. I would rather hire a Boy Idiot and be done with him than a coach that wins just enough to make you average to slightly above average once every 4 year

Head coaching problem
01-12-2019 01:35 PM
DustMyBroom Offline
2nd String

(01-12-2019 12:55 PM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  Y'all got your wish and he is gone. We had such a bad offensive line this year and that is why he failed. Next year's offensive coordinator is going to look like a hero with a good offensive line in 2019.

He was the least of the three biggest problems we had last year, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t a problem. We already got rid of the two worst problems with Losey and Finley. No one should be crying if we get rid of the third as well. In terms of attitude (if not necessarily statistics), good coaches make their units better as the year goes on, regardless of injuries. That happened with the defense. It did not happen with the offense at all, despite the fact that young talented guys should have shown dramatic improvement through the year.

Bottom line: we have ten guys back next year who can all benefit from better coaching. Here’s hoping that we make the right hires this time.

I’ve been told that Dawson’s “Coach B.S.” moniker actually stood for “bubble screen”, but I personally couldn’t tell the difference.
01-13-2019 01:08 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

This is actually just what we needed to go from 6-7 wins to 9+ wins (crosses fingers Hopson doesn't **** up these hires).
01-13-2019 07:10 PM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(01-12-2019 11:21 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  Losing that many coaches is never a good thing. Good luck on the coach hunt.

It's only "never a good thing" if you haven't paid any attention to USM football all year.

(01-12-2019 01:35 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  I think in the end S. Miss is going to find out this is a head coaching problem. Unlike Western that acted in 2 short but seem like long long long years....

S. Miss will live with the 5 to 8 wins for a long time before this coach is fired. I dont know if its luck or bad luck that S. Miss plays in the west where there's usually 3 wins every season. Add in the FCS and you are already at 4 wins, win two out of the other 8 and I believe this will be S. Miss football. Get a low hanging bowl win every 2 or 3 years gets you up to 7 and every 4 years you get a good enough team to make you think we are finally TTT ....

only to be let down

I would hope S. Miss wouldn't stand for this but you dont have the money in the bank from a few buyouts going the other way to deal with it. My guess is 6 years of very average football and if this coach ever hits that 9 in mark and wins the West....

you are stuck with him for a few more years. I would rather hire a Boy Idiot and be done with him than a coach that wins just enough to make you average to slightly above average once every 4 year

Head coaching problem

Again, all this does is show me y'all haven't followed USM football that closely.

We USM fans have literally been screaming for Hop to fire out OC and OL coach all freaking year. Go over to the USM board and look at threads throughout the year. Our RUN GAME got absolutely shut down by Jackson Freakin' State to start the season. On top of that, we had one of the WORST rushing offenses in D1 football this year. Also, I cannot tell you how face-palms we USM fans endured during the entire season watching the plays our OC called, especially during crucial moments.

If anyone has paid attention to USM football this year then you know that USM fans are absolutely ecstatic at the losses of Dawson/Losey/Finley. As Reggie stated, loses these completely incompetent coaches can be the difference between a 6+ win USM team and a 10+ USM win team. I'm actually pumped because this shows that Jay Hopson actually has a backbone. All year fans were scared he wouldn't make any changes because he's so close w/ them. Thank God. USM's offense will be drastically improved next year.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 09:40 AM by TTT.)
01-14-2019 09:39 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Maybe we will have more than one running play in the new playbook

And seriously, talk about a guy who can't develop QBs worth a crap. We have been horrible at that position since Nick Mullens left.
01-14-2019 10:06 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(01-12-2019 11:21 AM)Seminowl Wrote:  Losing that many coaches is never a good thing. Good luck on the coach hunt.

That's kinda like a 2-10 or 1-11 team saying "but we have 7 (or 8 or 9) players returning on both offense and defense." Maybe the problem is the 7-9 players each on offense and defense were the reason the team only won 1 or 2 games. As several USM posters have said, considering which coaches we are losing many feel this is a good thing as had we had a decent OL last year along with better playcalling we probably win 2-3 more games and are at least in the hunt for a championship
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 10:39 AM by usm99.)
01-14-2019 10:38 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I've never known a fanbase that doesn't complain about the "playcalling."

Bottom line is it's easy to armchair quarterback it.
01-14-2019 11:03 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2019 09:39 AM)TTT Wrote:  

It's only "never a good thing" if you haven't paid any attention to USM football all year.

(01-12-2019 01:35 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  I think in the end S. Miss is going to find out this is a head coaching problem. Unlike Western that acted in 2 short but seem like long long long years....

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

Again, all this does is show me y'all haven't followed USM football that closely.

We USM fans have literally been screaming for Hop to fire out OC and OL coach all freaking year. Go over to the USM board and look at threads throughout the year. Our RUN GAME got absolutely shut down by Jackson Freakin' State to start the season. On top of that, we had one of the WORST rushing offenses in D1 football this year. Also, I cannot tell you how face-palms we USM fans endured during the entire season watching the plays our OC called, especially during crucial moments.

If anyone has paid attention to USM football this year then you know that USM fans are absolutely ecstatic at the losses of Dawson/Losey/Finley. As Reggie stated, loses these completely incompetent coaches can be the difference between a 6+ win USM team and a 10+ USM win team. I'm actually pumped because this shows that Jay Hopson actually has a backbone. All year fans were scared he wouldn't make any changes because he's so close w/ them. Thank God. USM's offense will be drastically improved next year.

CUSA Stats
S.Miss was 2nd in avg ypc in 2017
S. Miss was 4th in passing yards in 2017
S.Miss was 3rd in ypp in 2017

Who's to say Barny Rubble isn't limiting his play calling? Or the lack of experience is the reason S. Miss was 9th in total offense this past season?

The one thing I'm sure of the farther S. Miss gets away from Todd Monken....the worse this team looks.

So you have a head coach that has never proven he can hack it at the FBS level and a OC that's shown he can run a offense....under 3 different head coaches.

I'm going with the head coach as the problem.
01-14-2019 11:57 AM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

Understand what you are saying owl...but...this is a forum dedicated to fan's opinions,and it beats talkin' about the weather!03-lmfao

Besides, football is NOT BRAIN SURGERY, and if we fans can basically call each play from the stands, just imagine how easy it is for opposing coaches.

Now, in the "old days" everyone knew Lombardi was gonna call the "Lombardi sweep" over and over and beg ya to try and stop it...but (there's that "but" again)...we don't have Lombardi as a HC, Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung at HB, or an OL full of HOF'ers!04-cheers
01-14-2019 11:59 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2019 11:57 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

CUSA Stats

Who's to say Barny Rubble isn't limiting his play calling? Or the lack of experience is the reason S. Miss was 9th in total offense this past season?

The one thing I'm sure of the farther S. Miss gets away from Todd Monken....the worse this team looks.

So you have a head coach that has never proven he can hack it at the FBS level and a OC that's shown he can run a offense....under 3 different head coaches.

well, WKUYG, guess we'll know this time next year who was right!
01-14-2019 12:04 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

CUSA Stats

It'd only be a head coaching problem if he HADN'T fired our OL and S/C coach. Pretty sure he wanted to fire Dawson but don't think we could've afforded it. Thank god Houston wanted Dawson. Anyone with eyeballs who watched USM football this year knew our weakest links were OL and play-calling.

Again, OUR OFFENSIVE LINE GOT PUSHED AROUND BY JACKSON STATE'S DEFENSIVE LINE and pretty much every other team we played this year. This was year 3 for Losey/Dawson....and their guys are getting manhandled by SWAC schools....yeah, time to go buddy.
01-14-2019 01:11 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2019 01:11 PM)TTT Wrote:  

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

CUSA Stats

It'd only be a head coaching problem if he HADN'T fired our OL and S/C coach. Pretty sure he wanted to fire Dawson but don't think we could've afforded it. Thank god Houston wanted Dawson. Anyone with eyeballs who watched USM football this year knew our weakest links were OL and play-calling.

Again, OUR OFFENSIVE LINE GOT PUSHED AROUND BY JACKSON STATE'S DEFENSIVE LINE and pretty much every other team we played this year. This was year 3 for Losey/Dawson....and their guys are getting manhandled by SWAC schools....yeah, time to go buddy.

This was year 3 for the head coach and every year things have got worse. S. Miss didn't hire him as a DC....he's doing great there. A head Coach has to run the whole ship.

I seem to recall most S. Miss fans calling the hiring of Dawson a home run. So if S. MISS had one of the offensive teams in the conference in 2017 please let me know what changed?

Let me give you a hint on the answer to that question....the former coaches players are no longer there.
01-14-2019 01:33 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2019 01:33 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 01:11 PM)TTT Wrote:  

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

CUSA Stats

This was year 3 for the head coach and every year things have got worse. S. Miss didn't hire him as a DC....he's doing great there. A head Coach has to run the whole ship.

I seem to recall most S. Miss fans calling the hiring of Dawson a home run. So if S. MISS had one of the offensive teams in the conference in 2017 please let me know what changed?

Let me give you a hint on the answer to that question....the former coaches players are no longer there.

Just my opinion here but the "homerun hire" was due more to the fact that Kentucky was paying a majority of his salary in years 1 and 2 than we were.

part 2....what changed was that he never adjusted his play calling. If something wasn't working on gameday he seemed to stick with it with the assumption it'll have to work sooner or later....or when things were working fine to start a game it appeared he would out think himself and try something different instead of going with what worked.

Not saying i'm right but that's my .02 cents on the matter
01-14-2019 02:11 PM
Advertisement

TTT Offline
#SMTTT

Exactly. Dawson was wayyyyyyy too stubborn to make in-game adjustments. And aside from that, just so many bone-headed plays called at the most crucial times. Here's Dawson in a nutshell:

4th quarter, we're down a TD, it's 3rd and 8 from our own 15 yard line....Dawson calls a HB draw for no gain OR we throw the same damn bubble screen that's been blown up all game for another loss or no gain. That's Dawson. I can't tell you how many times this scenario played out.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2019 03:52 PM by TTT.)
01-14-2019 03:51 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I hope for the S. Miss fans the OC was your problem, easier to fix than the head coach. Well easier to get rid of, fixing is another problem...

Dont know how hands on the S. Miss coach is but I assume with him being more of a defensive mind. That's his baby and not the offense. If so a new OC might be what the doctor ordered. But if the head coach, like controlling the offense also, it's going to be trouble.

I've always said hiring the right staff is as important as the head coach. That is if the coach lets those he hires, do their job.

I'm ready for football season to get here
01-14-2019 05:10 PM
D4RKW4T3R ROCK Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EAGLES SMTTT

only to be let down

Head coaching problem

CUSA Stats

Barney Ruble just coached a team that finished in the top 10-25 of almost every statistical category on defense. The guy was a defensive back for Petes' sake so naturally he has been focused on bringing the Nasty Back. As for the Dawson effect, I totally agree that his calls left most fans scratching their heads. We already have several OC on staff that are better than Dawson. We are headed in the right direction. However, these hires are going to be crucial for this coming season.
01-15-2019 10:04 AM
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
Here's hoping the next OC doesn't play ring around the QB and keep Abraham as the full time starter. He's clearly the best y'all have and pretty frustrating to see him not be the full time starter(injuries aside)
01-15-2019 10:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.