Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC College Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
Bookmark and Share
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
MAC College Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
Stadium took a survey of coaches around the league then used that to rank the best coaching jobs in the MAC.

https://s23455.pcdn.co/wp-content/upload...C.jpg.webp

https://watchstadium.com/news/mac-colleg...1-10-2019/
01-11-2019 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: MAC College Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
If NIU's program is the basement for the MAC that is a pretty high basement for a mid major league.

If they were in the Summit, they'd probably be considered the top job.

Ditto with BG's blah campus. Its all relative when your competing in a conference known for its college town campuses.
01-12-2019 03:05 PM
bg816 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-12-2019 03:05 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Ditto with BG's blah campus. Its all relative when your competing in a conference known for its college town campuses.

BG’s making progress in beautifying campus by addition through subtraction (demo-ing Harshman, with the Administration and Education buildings to follow in the near future), and remodeling/upgrading/expanding the original buildings. So, improvements... Obviously, BG’s campus will never be Miami or OU. We do have the hill, though.

I don’t understand the educational reputation comment, though. BG isn’t tops academically, but it certainly isn’t near the bottom of the conference. That’s a puzzling comment.
01-12-2019 04:49 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-12-2019 04:49 PM)bg816 Wrote:  
(01-12-2019 03:05 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Ditto with BG's blah campus. Its all relative when your competing in a conference known for its college town campuses.

BG’s making progress in beautifying campus by addition through subtraction (demo-ing Harshman, with the Administration and Education buildings to follow in the near future), and remodeling/upgrading/expanding the original buildings. So, improvements... Obviously, BG’s campus will never be Miami or OU. We do have the hill, though.

I don’t understand the educational reputation comment, though. BG isn’t tops academically, but it certainly isn’t near the bottom of the conference. That’s a puzzling comment.

Kittonhead has irrationally dumped on Bowling Green for many years now. That's his thing. It's weird, but what can be done, really?
01-14-2019 01:23 PM
bg816 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(01-14-2019 01:23 PM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(01-12-2019 04:49 PM)bg816 Wrote:  

Kittonhead has irrationally dumped on Bowling Green for many years now. That's his thing. It's weird, but what can be done, really?

Oh, I’m fully aware of Kittonhead’s feelings toward BG. I was referring to the anonymous coach’s comment.
01-14-2019 06:31 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

The MAC has been over analyzed to death for the fact that its the most balanced mid major conference.

Especially with the amount of investment in facilities across the MAC where everyone has some standouts to offer.

There is nothing to say BG couldn't bring in a 1 million dollar basketball coach and roll with that new arena they have for example regardless of not having made the NCAAs in 50 years.

NIU, dog school of the MAC in the rankings has a 10,000 seat arena. They just need a coach to go with it.

Ohio what they are calling the top job has never been a consistent NCAA tournament participant. Its a solid D1 program in a solid one bid league that is about it.
01-15-2019 12:41 AM
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is your NCAA participation rate from the top job:

1 NCAA appearance in 9 years (2012)
2 NCAA appearances in 14 years (2010, 2012)
3 NCAA appearances in 25 years (2005, 2010, 2012)
4 NCAA appearances in 34 years (1994, 2005, 2010, 2012)

Average rate of an appearance every 8 or 9 years since the tourney expanded to 64+ teams.
01-15-2019 02:59 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I just want to make a point or two about EMU.

Game day atmosphere at EMU is usually mediocre, bad or worse. I don't disagree with the '12.'

I do disagree with the facilities ranking of '6'. Strip off the game day atmosphere and EMU has one of the best arenas in the conference.

EMU, BSU, and NIU have similar arenas, e.g. capacity, age, etc.
01-15-2019 08:53 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

The MAC as a whole is fairly balanced in tournament appearances and tournament success. Miami could have really distanced itself to become the school in the MAC known for basketball, but they just completely stopped funding their program in the early 00s. Ohio, Buffalo, Akron, and Kent are the schools that consistently spend the most money on coaches, buying games, and operating the program. That's why these schools have had the most success over the last 10 years. Any MAC school is capable of emerging, but most just don't want to invest in it.

Miama - 17 appearances, 4x Sweet 16
Ohio - 13 appearances, 3x Sweet 16, 1x Elite 8
PCCC - 6 appearances, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Elite 8
Ball St. - 7 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
CMU - 4 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
Toledo - 4 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
WMU - 4 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
EMU - 4 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
Bowling Green - 4 appearances, 1 Sweet 16
Akron - 4 appearances, 0 tourney wins
Buffalo - 3 appearances
NIU - 3 appearances
01-15-2019 09:54 AM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-14-2019 06:31 PM)bg816 Wrote:  I was referring to the anonymous coach’s comment.

Yeah, that's weird. Gotta think it came from Miami or Ohio.
01-15-2019 10:12 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2019 10:12 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 06:31 PM)bg816 Wrote:  I was referring to the anonymous coach’s comment.

Buffalo would be a possibility too.
01-15-2019 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
NIU. Jeeze.
01-15-2019 10:57 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2019 08:53 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I just want to make a point or two about EMU.

Game day atmosphere at EMU is usually mediocre, bad or worse. I don't disagree with the '12.'

I do disagree with the facilities ranking of '6'. Strip off the game day atmosphere and EMU has one of the best arenas in the conference.

The question is not so much is it the best but is it good enough to have a serious basketball team.

When you get into some of these smaller schools in D1 with 2,000 seat arenas and a campus with 3 buildings its just not realistic.

MAC schools have campuses and arenas equal or exceeding the P5 in quality. They are definitely good enough places to win if the right coach is in place. That is why every MAC basketball school has had its run of tournament appearances and most of the football conference has appeared in the Top 25 since 2000.
01-15-2019 11:07 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2019 11:07 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 08:53 AM)emu steve Wrote:  I just want to make a point or two about EMU.

The question is not so much is it the best but is it good enough to have a serious basketball team.

When you get into some of these smaller schools in D1 with 2,000 seat arenas and a campus with 3 buildings its just not realistic.

MAC schools have campuses and arenas equal or exceeding the P5 in quality. They are definitely good enough places to win if the right coach is in place. That is why every MAC basketball school has had its run of tournament appearances and most of the football conference has appeared in the Top 25 since 2000.

You lost me here.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 11:30 AM by kreed5120.)
01-15-2019 11:28 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
I smell a little "football jealousy" in these poll results 03-wink
01-15-2019 11:41 AM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-15-2019 11:28 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

You lost me here.

MAC schools don't equal the blueblood experience with their arenas but in some cases exceed what the average P5 school has. In other cases they are equivalent to at least the bottom quarter of the P5. This goes for the campuses too. They are not standard deviations away in quality.

So I think nit picking the MAC where everyone has an acceptable level of quality yet all operate on a mid-major budget doesn't do much.

Ohio and Miami have like 2 of the best campuses in the entire country so that is a high bar for everyone else in the MAC to be compared to. The others stack up pretty good compared to the P5 and better than most G5.

Its the research dollars that doesn't stack up well to the P5 but that is hardly what a recruit is considering when selecting a place to play.

Nobody has a look to it like its a prep school or community college which is harder to recruit to.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2019 11:57 AM by Kittonhead.)
01-15-2019 11:55 AM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-15-2019 10:49 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 10:12 AM)Schadenfreude Wrote:  

Buffalo would be a possibility too.

That crossed my mind, but I've been on that campus for a couple of football games. It didn't seem remarkable.
01-15-2019 12:30 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(01-15-2019 11:55 AM)Kittonhead Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 11:28 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

You lost me here.

MAC schools don't equal the blueblood experience with their arenas but in some cases exceed what the average P5 school has. In other cases they are equivalent to at least the bottom quarter of the P5. This goes for the campuses too. They are not standard deviations away in quality.

So I think nit picking the MAC where everyone has an acceptable level of quality yet all operate on a mid-major budget doesn't do much.

Ohio and Miami have like 2 of the best campuses in the entire country so that is a high bar for everyone else in the MAC to be compared to. The others stack up pretty good compared to the P5 and better than most G5.

Its the research dollars that doesn't stack up well to the P5 but that is hardly what a recruit is considering when selecting a place to play.

Nobody has a look to it like its a prep school or community college which is harder to recruit to.

Sure there are some nice campuses in the MAC. I wasn't disputing that. There is a huge difference between the MAC and P5 schools basketball facilities. Most arenas look like they haven't seen major upgrades in 30 years and that's because they haven't. All the schools funnel their money to football. Akron probably being the poster child of it considering they have the nicest stadium in the MAC and a IPF that's probably near the top. Meanwhile, the JAR is frankly a dump and the basketball team doesn't even have a practice gym.
01-15-2019 12:45 PM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Facilities isn't just the arena.
01-16-2019 11:23 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(01-16-2019 11:23 AM)OUVan Wrote:  

Facilities isn't just the arena.

Which is why Miami is last. Millett is bad, but we also practice in an ugly underground gym so that has a lot to do with it.
01-16-2019 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.