Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

From what I saw tonight, Penny
Bookmark and Share
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
From what I saw tonight, Penny
Is not showing me he is a good coach. I hope he improves, but we've got players who don't know how to call a timeout, players running into screens because there is no communication on defense, inbounds passes caroming off of the back shoulders of the intended target. No discipline. And a serious lack of a half-court offence. I get we want to play "run-n-gun", and I love it! But when we can't because the other team takes that away, we HAVE TO HAVE a serviceable offensive set or two.

Like I said, I hope he improves.
01-10-2019 11:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
RE: From what I saw tonight, Penny
(01-10-2019 11:20 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Is not showing me he is a good coach. I hope he improves, but we've got players who don't know how to call a timeout, players running into screens because there is no communication on defense, inbounds passes caroming off of the back shoulders of the intended target. No discipline. And a serious lack of a half-court offence. I get we want to play "run-n-gun", and I love it! But when we can't because the other team takes that away, we HAVE TO HAVE a serviceable offensive set or two.

Then you are not watching close enough. We consistently run good offensive sets and consistently get good shots out of them. What we have are several talented (but 4 year talent) players, seniors that are mediocre at best and then nothing in between. Our roster is horribly unbalanced and lacks true senior leadership.

We won today because of our ability to manufacture shots and score in the half court because ECU controlled the tempo. In the beginning it worked and we got down 15. Penny and company made adjustments, like good staffs do, and we won.

I got a completely different feeling after watching us win a game today that we definitely would have lost the past 5 or 6 years with two different head coaches.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019 11:28 PM by SeñorTiger.)
01-10-2019 11:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
The coaches made adjustments and, unlike Cincy in ECU’s last game, we won.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019 12:32 AM by Tiger1983.)
01-10-2019 11:33 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
I said in the game thread, this team has improved. Our offense is starting to get an arsenal of plays, tonight we bumbled quite a few of them. The commentator kept saying over and over again about us taking shots from the pass, also an improvement.
01-10-2019 11:39 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I'm losing hair watching them play defense
01-10-2019 11:48 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

I Root For: Memphis
Ummm from what I saw he absolutely can coach the adjustments the staff made were the only reason we won that game.
01-10-2019 11:49 PM
Advertisement

dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-10-2019 11:48 PM)fsquid Wrote:  I'm losing hair watching them play defense

The offense will improve with talent upgrades. The defense is most concerning in regards to.his coaching because you can teach players better rotations and fundamentals no matter what their talent level is.
01-10-2019 11:51 PM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(01-10-2019 11:20 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Is not showing me he is a good coach. I hope he improves, but we've got players who don't know how to call a timeout, players running into screens because there is no communication on defense, inbounds passes caroming off of the back shoulders of the intended target. No discipline. And a serious lack of a half-court offence. I get we want to play "run-n-gun", and I love it! But when we can't because the other team takes that away, we HAVE TO HAVE a serviceable offensive set or two.

He has a lot of growing to do as a coach, but he did figure out that he needed to run actual offensive sets that got the best available shot rather than letting Harris throw up a bunch of crazy shots that caused you the game. I was actually waiting on Harris to cause you all the game, but Penny started getting him shots in the flow of the game which really helped you all down the stretch of the game.
01-10-2019 11:52 PM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
They consistently get good shots out of timeouts. Take the play that led into halftime, perfectly designed play to get Harris a 3, which was crucial to cut the lead to 4. I pretty much knew we were going to win when that fell.

It's not perfect, but frankly I've been surprised in a positive way. The team gives great effort every time out. He's not John Wooden, that's for sure, but I think you are nitpicking.
01-10-2019 11:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerjamesc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: more wins

Bad start, but held them to 3-17 to close the game
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2019 11:59 PM by tigerjamesc.)
01-10-2019 11:58 PM
tigernole79 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kool-Aid

Honestly compare this team to last season's team. Do you think any of those things have gotten better or worse?! Now, are you really adding major all-stars that are dominating from day one, didn't lose a major amount of anything from last season and then remember you are comparing a first year NCAA coach to a likely HOF coach with decades of experience.

Not even including anything about fan support, recruiting or future players (because then it's a landslide) which team do you honestly think is playing better: This year's team or last year's?
01-11-2019 12:00 AM
Advertisement

tigertrails Offline
Banned

(01-10-2019 11:51 PM)dwash Wrote:  

The offense will improve with talent upgrades. The defense is most concerning in regards to.his coaching because you can teach players better rotations and fundamentals no matter what their talent level is.

Don't put all eggs in one basket thinking Wiseman is the savior. This isn't like the season where everyone was waiting on Rose. That team was an elite 8 squad with talent coming in the next season to get them over the hump into the Final Four. This feels different, Wiseman is added to a mediocre team at best and may get us into the tourney but don't expect to go far. I thought our Freshman would be way better. The ECU Freshman Gardner who was lower ranked out of high school is far better than anyone on our roster.
01-11-2019 12:03 AM
NigelTufnel Offline
Spelling Bee Champiun

I Root For: Ribs and Beer!
(01-11-2019 12:00 AM)tigernole79 Wrote:  

Honestly compare this team to last season's team. Do you think any of those things have gotten better or worse?! Now, are you really adding major all-stars that are dominating from day one, didn't lose a major amount of anything from last season and then remember you are comparing a first year NCAA coach to a likely HOF coach with decades of experience.

Not even including anything about fan support, recruiting or future players (because then it's a landslide) which team do you honestly think is playing better: This year's team or last year's?

Not sure that's fair, you'd expect an improvement in the JuCo guys in the 2nd year regardless, so the team should be better.

Frankly, given the cobbled together team that Tubby fielded last year, he did a really nice job. The problem of course was that he couldn't recruit … and he especially couldn't recruit Memphis.
01-11-2019 12:04 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-11-2019 12:00 AM)tigernole79 Wrote:  

No. I'm not comparing ANYBODY. I am pointing out crap that should not happen 12 games into ANY season. Here, I will re-post what I'm talking about:

Quote:we've got players who don't know how to call a timeout, players running into screens because there is no communication on defense, inbounds passes caroming off of the back shoulders of the intended target. No discipline. And a serious lack of a half-court offence.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019 12:07 AM by geosnooker2000.)
01-11-2019 12:07 AM
450bench Offline

I feel exactly the opposite. I think the staff is doing a very good job. My only beef is the minutes Thornton gets.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2019 12:23 AM by 450bench.)
01-11-2019 12:21 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-11-2019 12:21 AM)450bench Wrote:  

I feel exactly the opposite. I think the staff is doing a very good job. My only beef is the minutes Thornton gets.

I thought Thornton was your favorite? 03-lmfao
01-11-2019 12:25 AM
Advertisement

uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

(01-10-2019 11:27 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

Then you are not watching close enough. We consistently run good offensive sets and consistently get good shots out of them. What we have are several talented (but 4 year talent) players, seniors that are mediocre at best and then nothing in between. Our roster is horribly unbalanced and lacks true senior leadership.

We won today because of our ability to manufacture shots and score in the half court because ECU controlled the tempo. In the beginning it worked and we got down 15. Penny and company made adjustments, like good staffs do, and we won.

I got a completely different feeling after watching us win a game today that we definitely would have lost the past 5 or 6 years with two different head coaches.

None of our seniors are good leaders and they all do bonehead stuff constantly. The coaching is there.
01-11-2019 12:28 AM
450bench Offline

(01-11-2019 12:25 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  

His minutes literally shock me. I'll never understand it.
01-11-2019 12:30 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(01-11-2019 12:28 AM)uskjtc02 Wrote:  
(01-10-2019 11:27 PM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  

None of our seniors are good leaders and they all do bonehead stuff constantly. The coaching is there.

Bingo.

Without saying anything blatantly negative about our seniors, I’ll say this...I’m looking forward to the new players coming in next year.
01-11-2019 12:31 AM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

(01-11-2019 12:30 AM)450bench Wrote:  
(01-11-2019 12:25 AM)Joe1 Wrote:  

His minutes literally shock me. I'll never understand it.

He’ll be playing like John Gunn any game now.
01-11-2019 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.