Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Non BCS Championship game
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Does anyone think the NCAA would ever fight back against the BCS and have an NCAA D-1 Championship game??? Would there be any interest from one of the Liberty, Alamo, Houston, Independence Bowls hosting the two highest ranked non BCS team each year, as either the NCAA D-1 Championship Game, if they wanted to get involved, if not a Coalition Championship game. There's bound to be a network or two that would be interested in the game, both teams would almost for sure would be ranked. Just the fact of it being a Championship Game would help. It may only generate a 2 or 3 million dollar payout, maybe a little more, but it would help a little in the fight against the BCS. If the BCS has a championship game, why shouldn't we. I remember the NFL laughing for years at the AFL about the quality of their football and finally the public demanded to see how the AFL would do against the NFL, which ended up in what we have today, the Super Bowl. Maybe after a few years the public would demand to see how the Coalition Champion would do against the BCS champ. At the point, the schools all become on an even keel, just like what happened to the AFL and the NFL!!!! 04-cheers
06-22-2004 11:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Well, if the Big Ten and some Northern baseball teams are going to hold their own Championship game because there isn't a level playing field and every NCAA athlete should have an opportunity to play for a Championship-----I really think we should get the ball rolling for our own Coalition(non BCS) Championship game. I'm sure it would force the hand of the NCAA and the BCS eventually. Very similar to the AFL who couldn't pay all of their players like the NFL(some players were offered big money by both the NFL and AFL). The non BCS team don't have the big TV contracts, just like the AFL didn't, but they had a Championship game and it only took about 10 years to catch up!! 04-cheers
06-23-2004 11:04 AM
Catbird Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I think the biggest problem is the coalition between all the networks and the BCS. None of them would risk their contracts with the BCS schools to ever broadcast a Coalition Championship Game. I don't think the sportswriters would give the Coalition the time of day, witnessed by the fact the Tulsa World sports editor and columnists regularly bag non-BCS schools and play up the BCS gang.

In the case of the old AFL, you had both major-media markets and a television network (NBC), which were both shut out of the status quo, that got behind the "Mickey Mouse League" and helped make it successful. The AFL also had some major-rich owners who backed the league.

I don't share your optimism for a non-BCS Championship Game having sufficient backing to ever survive. I hope I'm wrong and you are right, though!!
06-23-2004 12:14 PM
jfisher Offline
1st String

I Root For:

You have a number of networks on the outside looking in, at ABC/ESPN when it comes to college football. ABC is the BCS!! Some networks get the leftover crumbs but nobody competes in any way with ABC/ESPN. Fox, as an example is putting together a college sports network right now and all the cable companies in the country that carry ESPN carry FOX too!!! I am by no means suggesting this would be a big deal the first few years, although, I think it would be bigger than the the regular Liberty Bowl or Houston Bowl is right now. The AFL was pretty much laughed at by the newspapers in the NFL cities and others but time cured that!! For FOX or some other network to broadcast games doesn't take a huge audience to beat the Northern Australian Open Tennis Tourney that they are broadcasting now!! The NFL had tremendous history and tradition on their side, a lot more than the BCS has, so I think it would be worth while--- especially compared to nothing that we have now!!! :bang:
06-23-2004 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.