uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Quote:McCallum finally joins Oklahoma hoops staff
2004-06-23
By Carter Strickland
The Oklahoman

NORMAN -- After weeks of waiting, former University of Houston coach Ray McCallum has joined the Oklahoma men's basketball program as an assistant.

"I didn't know if this was ever going to happen or not," McCallum said.

He wasn't alone. McCallum was first connected with the job in March after Jimmy Tubbs left to take over the SMU program. But McCallum was unable to make a smooth transition to the Sooners because of contract issues with Houston.

After four years and a 44-73 record, McCallum was reassigned after the end of the 2003-04 basketball season and still had three years left on his contract with the Cougars. Houston did not want him to leave for another job and pay that money, McCallum said.

McCallum had a contract through 2007 with the Cougars at a base salary of $400,000 per year.

Finally Monday, McCallum was able to reach an agreement with Houston. McCallum had planned on avoiding or least putting off contract issues for at least a year.

"I was going to sit out this year," he said. "I was going to sit out and probably try get a head coaching job next year."

Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson called, and McCallum realized the situation was a perfect fit for him.

"I didn't hesitate," McCallum said. "I've known Coach Sampson for 20 years, since he was at Washington State. He has always been on of the guys who you can call during the year and say, 'Hey what about this situation?' or 'What do you think of this?'"

For Sampson, the addition of McCallum brings another former head coach into the fold. Bob Hoffman, the former Texas Pan American coach, was hired as a replacement to Jim Shaw last month.

"New guys bring new energy," Sampson said. "They generate new ideas and make a new presence. I'm always looking to learn and by sitting down and talking to Bob and Ray I can do that."

Prior to his four years at Houston, McCallum coached his alma mater, Ball State. In seven years with the Cardinals, McCallum went 126-76, had two NCAA Tournament appearances and an NIT berth.

"One of the things that (Sampson) really talked to me about was making the transition," McCallum said. "I know that the role is about helping coach Sampson reach his goals, to support him with the guys in our program. And support the guys in our program with getting degrees and be the best they can be."

One of the biggest assets McCallum brings to OU is his ability to recruit in the fertile Houston area and throughout the Midwest. As an assistant at Wisconsin in the '80s and early '90s, McCallum was integral in the signing of Michael Finley and Rashard Griffith. He recruited Bonzi Wells at Ball State.

"We are going to focus on Oklahoma first," McCallum said. "Starting right here in Norman, then throughout the state and throughout the country."

The Sooners will start hitting those recruiting trails in July.

"Ray's strength is that he can recruit a lot of places," Sampson said. "When people found out he was a candidate for the job, we started getting a lot of phone calls from coaches. He will get us involved with kids from all over."

Prior to his time at Ball State, McCallum was a part of the staff at Michigan. McCallum got his first full-time coaching job as an assistant at Wisconsin in 1984.

As a player at Ball State, McCallum graduated as the MAC's all-time scoring leader and became the first BSU athlete to have his jersey retired in any sport.

This great news for Coach McCallum. I wish him all the best in his new position.
06-23-2004 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OldCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston

CrappiesCrappies

Glad he got the job, I know he watned out of the office. Saves us money and gives him the job he wants.

He's a class act, OU fans will like him as an assistant.
06-24-2004 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.