Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WVU
Bookmark and Share
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
WVU
I’m hearing Neal Brown is close to finalizing a deal at WVU.
01-01-2019 12:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: WVU
I get the obvious reasons for Brown to take the WVU job if offered, but WV isn’t exactly the greatest place to live and work, with the team he has coming back, maybe a top 25, if he waits one more yr, he can probably land a better gig than WVU, I know it’s a risk, and it’s probably the smart move to leave now, but you can make the case for waiting one more yr.
01-01-2019 12:43 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(01-01-2019 12:43 PM)moehler Wrote:  I get the obvious reasons for Brown to take the WVU job if offered, but WV isn’t exactly the greatest place to live and work, with the team he has coming back, maybe a top 25, if he waits one more yr, he can probably land a better gig than WVU, I know it’s a risk, and it’s probably the smart move to leave now, but you can make the case for waiting one more yr.

Werent we saying the same thing about Louisville?
01-01-2019 12:45 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(01-01-2019 12:43 PM)moehler Wrote:  I get the obvious reasons for Brown to take the WVU job if offered, but WV isn’t exactly the greatest place to live and work, with the team he has coming back, maybe a top 25, if he waits one more yr, he can probably land a better gig than WVU, I know it’s a risk, and it’s probably the smart move to leave now, but you can make the case for waiting one more yr.

Still P5. Even if not particularly desirable, you take it for the near guaranteed immediate retirement money. And if he does well there then oh boy...
01-01-2019 12:46 PM
QueencityApp Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Appalachian St
(01-01-2019 12:46 PM)EagleNationRising Wrote:  

Still P5. Even if not particularly desirable, you take it for the near guaranteed immediate retirement money. And if he does well there then oh boy...

These guys like Brown and Satterfield have to strike while the iron is hot. There is no comparison with P5 money and resources when compared to our G5 teams. Anyone remember Jason Candle at Toledo? He was a hot name a couple of years ago when App had the bowl games with them and now he’s fallen off the radar. Can Brown be “picky”, sure he can but G5 coaches have to take advantage of the timing and their current status.
01-01-2019 02:36 PM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
I think it something that Houston a non power 5 team can hire away a power 5 head coach. I don't know about that WVU job, not exactly the best recruiting area. If Neal Brown does get that job, I wish him good luck. I wonder who Troy would get next.
01-01-2019 02:50 PM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

So you are one of the ones that said Satterfield would never leave. he was an Appy Guy 4 Life. You SlAppy fans have a lot still to learn about how coaching jobs work in IA.
01-01-2019 02:54 PM
rbostic218 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(01-01-2019 02:50 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I think it something that Houston a non power 5 team can hire away a power 5 head coach. I don't know about that WVU job, not exactly the best recruiting area. If Neal Brown does get that job, I wish him good luck. I wonder who Troy would get next.

Actually, he would be going to a great recruiting area. PA, VA and Ohio not too far away.
01-01-2019 03:00 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-01-2019 02:50 PM)kevinwmsn Wrote:  I think it something that Houston a non power 5 team can hire away a power 5 head coach. I don't know about that WVU job, not exactly the best recruiting area. If Neal Brown does get that job, I wish him good luck. I wonder who Troy would get next.

There are more than a few reasons why this is happening:

1)Right now WVU has no DI IA QB, they have 2 scholarship QBs on the roster:

Jack Allison who played in the bowl game and was sacked at least 4 times because he couldn't slide right or left to throw the ball away
Trey Lowe III who has yet to see the field in a college game
They also have 2 walk on QBs but who knows if they will even be there come fall

2)DH is a bad communicator, he has never connected with his supporters in The Hole, I doubt that changes where ever he goes

3)He is a mediocre coach at best:
His win per year avg is 7.4 at WVU
He is 2-5 in bowl games
He has only finished ranked twice (2011 at #17 and 2016 at 16) despite being ranked every preseason at WVU
He is 10-21 vs Top 25 (0-11 vs Top 15)

4)He isn't the current AD Shane Lyons hire, DH was an Oliver Luck hire

DH had one of the top 5 College QBs in the nation the last two years and could only muster a 15-10 record (2017 7-6, 2018- 8-4) and lost both bowl games.

Why Houston or anyone else would want him is beyond me. Before being named HC at WVU all he ever was is a QB coach. He also held the title of OC but never played a call.

DH is getting out of The Hole before he is fired after next year.
01-01-2019 03:13 PM
SBEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
WVU
Holgerson(sp) always looked to me like he should be at a Jimmy Buffet concert instead of coaching football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-01-2019 03:20 PM
Oldyeller Online
All American

(01-01-2019 02:54 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  

So you are one of the ones that said Satterfield would never leave. he was an Appy Guy 4 Life. You SlAppy fans have a lot still to learn about how coaching jobs work in IA.

SlAppy been living the dream. Next we'll hear Satt would never take an App recruit and plans to feed recruits under the table to keep the program strong for his second coming.
01-01-2019 04:31 PM
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

Satt being successful at UL will help app.

Lol
01-01-2019 04:38 PM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-01-2019 04:38 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  Satt being successful at UL will help app.

Lol

They won't get this joke.
01-01-2019 04:40 PM
asu7 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: APP STATE
I actually don’t care whether he is good or not. I don’t keep up with Louisville football and could care less what they do. His success won’t help anyone but himself. Drink controls our destiny now as much as any one person can.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 09:56 PM by asu7.)
01-01-2019 04:59 PM
FidelCashflow18 Offline
Bench Warmer

You really think he can get a better gig than West Virginia? Lmao WVU is probably a top 20 job in the country. He would be absolutely ecstatic to get WVU I bet. Some of you guys are just insane lol.
01-01-2019 05:21 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(01-01-2019 03:00 PM)rbostic218 Wrote:  

Actually, he would be going to a great recruiting area. PA, VA and Ohio not too far away.

Absolutely. If offered, Brown would be making a huge mistake by not jumping on it, IMO. WVU would be doing themselves a huge injustice if they fail to hire him.
01-01-2019 05:41 PM
Advertisement

CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I'd be surprised if Neal Brown didn't accept an offer from WVU. They'll likely pay him more than they paid Holgerson. And he won't be far from his home roots.

The good thing about this is Troy is going to rake in some serious cash from Brown's buyout. Might give us a boost to offer the next coach an even higher salary?
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 06:07 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
01-01-2019 06:05 PM
FTE_rawr Offline
Special Teams

(01-01-2019 06:05 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Neal Brown didn't accept an offer from WVU. They'll likely pay him more than they paid Holgerson. And he won't be far from his home roots.

The good thing about this is Troy is going to rake in some serious cash from Brown's buyout. Might give us a boost to offer the next coach an even higher salary?

Just like we did. (Except we extended Satts contract this year to make more money off the buyout, which was nice)
01-01-2019 06:10 PM
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
(01-01-2019 06:10 PM)FTE_rawr Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 06:05 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Neal Brown didn't accept an offer from WVU. They'll likely pay him more than they paid Holgerson. And he won't be far from his home roots.

Just like we did. (Except we extended Satts contract this year to make more money off the buyout, which was nice)

Only difference is Troy is looking to get just under 3 mil for Neal.

I think App only got 1 year of Satt's base pay.. which was somewhere over 400k. App did not get any favors when it came to a buyout deal for Satterfield.

If Troy get's that amount.. that should go straight to an indoor practice facility.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2019 06:22 PM by TheEagleWay.)
01-01-2019 06:21 PM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
Agree, we should use it and build an IPF...
01-01-2019 06:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.