rileylives Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
Fun with power conference realignment
ACC Notre Dame, UCONN
SEC Oklahoma, Kansas
Big 16 Texas, WVU
PAC 16 Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech

Houston - Their only hope is if the reformed PAC whatever wants markets. They are fighting, IMHO with TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech.

Iowa State - Their location hurts. About the only conference I see wanting them would be the reformed BIG whatever. Could they get that spot over WVU? I don’t think so.

TCU - They fight the same battle as Houston.

UCF - There’s just not a logical fit for this upstart. SEC? I don’t think so. ACC? Again, Notre Dame has the edge, and I think they would want to add an established basketball program who naturally fits (UCONN). Their only hope is if the BIG whatever snags Notre Dame, but even then, their fighting for position against UCONN, Cincinnati and probably WVU.

Cincinnati - They could be in line for the ACC, but would fight that same uphill battle UCF fights.

I think those teams are on the outside.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018 09:41 AM by rileylives.)
12-31-2018 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
RE: Fun with power conference realignment
(12-31-2018 09:38 AM)rileylives Wrote:  ACC Notre Dame, UCONN
SEC Oklahoma, Kansas
Big 16 Texas, WVU
PAC 16 Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech

Houston - Their only hope is if the reformed PAC whatever wants markets. They are fighting, IMHO with TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech.

Iowa State - Their location hurts. About the only conference I see wanting them would be the reformed BIG whatever. Could they get that spot over WVU? I don’t think so.

TCU - They fight the same battle as Houston.

UCF - There’s just not a logical fit for this upstart. SEC? I don’t think so. ACC? Again, Notre Dame has the edge, and I think they would want to add an established basketball program who naturally fits (UCONN). Their only hope is if the BIG whatever snags Notre Dame, but even then, their fighting for position against UCONN, Cincinnati and probably WVU.

Cincinnati - They could be in line for the ACC, but would fight that same uphill battle UCF fights.

I think those teams are on the outside.

I am a novice at this stuff, but I do know that this is clueless. ACC will be Notre DAme with either WVU, Cincy, Uconn. I do not see UCF due to Miami and FSU. Unfortunately for them it is Big EAst expansion part two. The Sec will take Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. They are a package deal. The Big ten wants Kansas and Texas if available. If no Texas, they do not expand. Wvu will never be in the Big Ten. Houston has a good shot at the Pac if they expand. Pac does not take religious institutions like TCU or Baylor. Texas could be in play for the Pac.
12-31-2018 10:00 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
We'll take WVU's spot in the Big Ten. Give Cincinnati the ACC.
12-31-2018 10:03 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
What is not logical about any realignment is the resulting money realignment. The power conferences & schools WILL follow the money if able. Only ND, UT & OU make money for any of the current conferences if they join but the conference affiliation likely makes no money for those schools - with the possible exception of OU. So maybe OU finds a new home with more revenue but there is likely no money motivation for ND or UT to move. BUT..........if OU moves, the B12 can't continue as a conference & sustain current revenues which could make for some interesting alliances resulting from the OU move (probably the demise of the B12 or a very different revenue model because UT won't stay in a further diminished B12).
12-31-2018 10:11 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
It’s a shame there is an entire conference realignment board and no one uses it.
12-31-2018 10:12 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-31-2018 10:12 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  It’s a shame there is an entire conference realignment board and no one uses it.

Some of us are banned...
12-31-2018 10:13 AM
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
West Virginia will never, ever be in the Big Ten. Baylor will never, ever be in the Pac 12.
12-31-2018 10:21 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(12-31-2018 10:12 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  It’s a shame there is an entire conference realignment board and no one uses it.

I put this discussion there as well, but it will die a quick death.

The American board is where it's at. And considering many candidates reside in the American, I felt it propper to post here as well.

I am not a troll, it's not what I'm about. I appreciate good conversation.

Anyway, I'm rooting for UCF to throttle LSU!
12-31-2018 10:25 AM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(12-31-2018 09:38 AM)rileylives Wrote:  PAC 16 Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech

Stopped reading immediately after this...

USFFan
12-31-2018 10:27 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

If you think about it, in total there are probably 7 open spots with 12 candidates

Houston
UCONN
UCF
Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
WVU
Kansas

Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Texas will get taken for sure.

And for those wondering why?

ESPN is controlling this and wants it to happen. One less conference for them to buy rights for (Big 12 dissipation).

I believe the remnants (Big 12 leftovers, American, Mountain West, CUSA, Sun Belt and MAC) will all be relegated to a purgatory tier.
12-31-2018 10:30 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(12-31-2018 10:27 AM)usffan Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 09:38 AM)rileylives Wrote:  PAC 16 Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas Tech

USFFan

Yeah, I get it. It's totally reasonable that Houston and TCU get those spots over Baylor and Texas Tech.
12-31-2018 10:32 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-31-2018 10:25 AM)rileylives Wrote:  

I put this discussion there as well, but it will die a quick death.

The American board is where it's at. And considering many candidates reside in the American, I felt it propper to post here as well.

I am not a troll, it's not what I'm about. I appreciate good conversation.

Anyway, I'm rooting for UCF to throttle LSU!

That board loves to troll UCONN. You just gave them the assist.
12-31-2018 10:32 AM
ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Here's my fun prediction:

UCONN, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Houston, Temple, ECU, Navy, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, & Memphis will all stay put and won't be going anywhere.
12-31-2018 10:34 AM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(12-31-2018 10:32 AM)rileylives Wrote:  

USFFan

Yeah, I get it. It's totally reasonable that Houston and TCU get those spots over Baylor and Texas Tech.

Go read virtually anything about the Pac-12 schools (specifically the California ones). They will never willingly align with a religious school. The only way Baylor (or TCU, or BYU) ends up in the Pac-12 is if it doesn't contain Cal, Stanford, USC or UCLA.

It's all fine trying to speculate what will happen from an athletics perspective, but realize that conference alignment is voted on by university presidents, and none of those schools would alienate their benefactors and donors for the sake of athletics.

USFFan
12-31-2018 10:37 AM
rileylives Offline
Heisman

(12-31-2018 10:37 AM)usffan Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 10:32 AM)rileylives Wrote:  

USFFan

Go read virtually anything about the Pac-12 schools (specifically the California ones). They will never willingly align with a religious school. The only way Baylor (or TCU, or BYU) ends up in the Pac-12 is if it doesn't contain Cal, Stanford, USC or UCLA.

It's all fine trying to speculate what will happen from an athletics perspective, but realize that conference alignment is voted on by university presidents, and none of those schools would alienate their benefactors and donors for the sake of athletics.

USFFan

Good point, forgot about that aspect.

Houston would probably stand to have a good shot then.
12-31-2018 10:40 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Houston to the PAC is much more realistic, yes. That conference needs more eyeballs, and adding the #7 TV market and the central time zone could help. Any further conference realignment though will likely be kicked off by what Texas and Oklahoma do after the Big 12 media deal is up.
12-31-2018 11:12 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-31-2018 10:03 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  We'll take WVU's spot in the Big Ten. Give Cincinnati the ACC.

Rutgers won't finish last now...03-lmfao
12-31-2018 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
how is this fun?
12-31-2018 11:41 AM
TexanMark Online
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-31-2018 11:41 AM)willhclark Wrote:  how is this fun?

When your superbooster pays for Holgorsen in a few days it will get fun. I think he could do well in the AAC.
12-31-2018 11:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Sure, it may be fun to move displaced schools here & there to find a home but there is no revenue motivations for conferences to add anyone other than UT, OU & ND. Beyond UT, OU & ND there are no darlings that bring added value. What is OK St's value apart from being joined at the hip with OU? What is Kansas' value beyond MBB, which BTW won't add value to another conference exceeding that conference's current revenue distributions per member? Beyond UT, OU & ND, it will be an exercise similar to that after the BE breakup, where displaced schools will be attempting to find & form the best of the rest conference affiliations - regardless of what that conference is called. And for those schools that have been benefiting from UT & OU affiliation, it is likely to be a smaller revenue stream thereafter.

And all of this speculation only IF OU makes the move somewhere because I'm guessing UT & ND like their situations compared to other alternatives where they won't control their affiliations.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2018 05:36 PM by Atlanta.)
12-31-2018 11:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.