Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Outrage after high school wrestler forced to cut his hair
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

12-24-2018 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobdizole Offline
All American

I Root For: MT
RE: Outrage after high school wrestler forced to cut his hair
Disgraceful
12-24-2018 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
if it were an isolated incident...I could see where it could POSSIBLY be a misunderstanding of the rules...but this ref called a coach (I believe) the n-word at a party years before and it ended in a fight.
12-24-2018 08:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
If long hair is against the rules(and I have no idea if it is) then I have no problem with the referees decision. I agree however this should have been handled in advance of the the match and not mat side. My guess is that some other type of remedy could have been used in order for this not to have happened. I could see in grappling that long hair could be a safety issue.
12-25-2018 08:54 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(12-25-2018 08:54 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  If long hair is against the rules(and I have no idea if it is) then I have no problem with the referees decision. I agree however this should have been handled in advance of the the match and not mat side.

Yeah, I have so many questions about this...

1. Was this the first match of the season? If not, why was it suddenly an issue?
2. Clearly he was allowed to practice in dreads. If long hair is against the rules, why was he allowed to practice with it?
3. Were other wrestlers forced to tuck or trim hair?

I guess the bottom line is - how did this kid make it all the way to the match without the hair being a problem?

Until I have the answer to those questions, I can only assume the official is a douche-bag.
12-25-2018 09:11 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(12-25-2018 09:11 AM)Chappy Wrote:  
(12-25-2018 08:54 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  If long hair is against the rules(and I have no idea if it is) then I have no problem with the referees decision. I agree however this should have been handled in advance of the the match and not mat side.

1. Was this the first match of the season? If not, why was it suddenly an issue?
2. Clearly he was allowed to practice in dreads. If long hair is against the rules, why was he allowed to practice with it?

I guess the bottom line is - how did this kid make it all the way to the match without the hair being a problem?

Until I have the answer to those questions, I can only assume the official is a douche-bag.

Kinda my thoughts also...especially in light of his possible racist comments earlier.
12-25-2018 09:16 AM
Advertisement

BEARCATDALE Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
(12-25-2018 09:16 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Kinda my thoughts also...especially in light of his possible racist comments earlier.

In the state of Ohio, we follow the NFSH rules. Long hair is against the rules. I would assume New Jersey as well. Cannot extend below the eyebrows. Cannot extend past collar length. Both of which are used with normal headgear. Anything that is longer than already stated must be contained within a hair net that is attached to the headgear. If hair constraint (i.e. do rag, swimmers cap, and so on) is not attached to head gear the wrestler cannot compete for lack of being dutifully prepared to wrestle with proper attire. There is a time limit to get the proper head gear, or in this case a haircut, or the wrestler will have to forfeit the match. Headgear is not mandatory to practice. At weigh-ins, wrestlers obviously have to make weight. They are also checked for skin diseases such as ring worm and impetigo and other. Fingernails are also required to be not abrasive. Facial hair is not allowed except for side burns that do not extend past the ear lobe and mustaches that do not go past the lips. And hair length is checked. Any wrestler that has a violation of these rules is allowed to get the proper anytime before they actually show up at matside to wrestle. That means it could be two minutes or it could be two hours. It is the coaches responsibility to make sure that his wrestlers are ready to wrestle. This falls solely on the coach therefore. The same in every other high school sport.

Also, one ref typically does the weigh-ins and the others show up later, at least here in Ohio. I have had to cut two wrestlers hair this year already. One was at weigh-ins. The other was later on during a tournament. This wrestler had been okayed at weigh-ins because he had his hair slicked back. But one of the other refs who was not at the weigh-ins required his hair to be cut because the length fell into his eyes during a match.

I hope this clarifies the rules and also shows the the media is wrong to portray this the way they are doing.
12-25-2018 11:07 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

Thanks, that is most helpful in understanding what is going on here. A little additional journalism could have gone a long way, but I guess they just want to paint one narrative.
12-26-2018 07:19 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-25-2018 11:07 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  In the state of Ohio, we follow the NFHS rules. Long hair is against the rules. I would assume New Jersey as well. Cannot extend below the eyebrows. Cannot extend past collar length. Both of which are used with normal headgear. Anything that is longer than already stated must be contained within a hair net that is attached to the headgear. If hair constraint (i.e. do rag, swimmers cap, and so on) is not attached to head gear the wrestler cannot compete for lack of being dutifully prepared to wrestle with proper attire. There is a time limit to get the proper head gear, or in this case a haircut, or the wrestler will have to forfeit the match. Headgear is not mandatory to practice. At weigh-ins, wrestlers obviously have to make weight. They are also checked for skin diseases such as ring worm and impetigo and other. Fingernails are also required to be not abrasive. Facial hair is not allowed except for side burns that do not extend past the ear lobe and mustaches that do not go past the lips. And hair length is checked. Any wrestler that has a violation of these rules is allowed to get the proper anytime before they actually show up at matside to wrestle. That means it could be two minutes or it could be two hours. It is the coaches responsibility to make sure that his wrestlers are ready to wrestle. This falls solely on the coach therefore. The same in every other high school sport.
Also, one ref typically does the weigh-ins and the others show up later, at least here in Ohio. I have had to cut two wrestlers hair this year already. One was at weigh-ins. The other was later on during a tournament. This wrestler had been okayed at weigh-ins because he had his hair slicked back. But one of the other refs who was not at the weigh-ins required his hair to be cut because the length fell into his eyes during a match.
I hope this clarifies the rules and also shows the the media is wrong to portray this the way they are doing.

Thank you.

Clarifies the rules? Yes, assuming New Jersey follows the NFHS rules, which is almost 99% certain.
Shows the media to be wrong? Yes to that, too.
Will bring about some measure of journalistic integrity? Not likely.

I would like to know about the alleged prior racist comments. From the very little I've seen, that seems like something of a tempest in a teapot, but I would like to know the full story.
12-26-2018 07:34 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Who would have thought the media would not provide all the data? Par for the course.
12-26-2018 08:45 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
The person most likely to be harmed by this is the Referee, media outrage could lead to the guy losing his full-time job, forget the part-time gig as a HS Ref. Media needs to collect ALL facts about a situation not just create a victim and a villain that should be punished.
12-26-2018 10:07 AM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(12-26-2018 08:45 AM)VA49er Wrote:  Who would have thought the media would not provide all the data? Par for the course.

Lol. Im desensitized to these type of sky screamer outrage stories. Too much fake news.

He had to cut his hair

Reeeeeeeeeeeeee

Lmao. Dummies
12-26-2018 11:08 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Not enough info to make a judgement. Either way, I really don't care. Not worth investigating a HS wrestling referee who may have called someone a nig at a party some time ago. The kid's hair will grow back so this really isn't that big of deal. Whether or not the ref called someone a nig, and whether or not that comment was directed toward an individual he had beef with or if he believed that about black people as a whole is moot. His reputation and name is ruined either way. Right or wrong, which lack of info makes impossible to judge, the incident probably had nothing do with this story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-26-2018 12:10 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(12-25-2018 11:07 PM)BEARCATDALE Wrote:  
(12-25-2018 09:16 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

In the state of Ohio, we follow the NFSH rules. Long hair is against the rules. I would assume New Jersey as well. Cannot extend below the eyebrows. Cannot extend past collar length. Both of which are used with normal headgear. Anything that is longer than already stated must be contained within a hair net that is attached to the headgear. If hair constraint (i.e. do rag, swimmers cap, and so on) is not attached to head gear the wrestler cannot compete for lack of being dutifully prepared to wrestle with proper attire. There is a time limit to get the proper head gear, or in this case a haircut, or the wrestler will have to forfeit the match. Headgear is not mandatory to practice. At weigh-ins, wrestlers obviously have to make weight. They are also checked for skin diseases such as ring worm and impetigo and other. Fingernails are also required to be not abrasive. Facial hair is not allowed except for side burns that do not extend past the ear lobe and mustaches that do not go past the lips. And hair length is checked. Any wrestler that has a violation of these rules is allowed to get the proper anytime before they actually show up at matside to wrestle. That means it could be two minutes or it could be two hours. It is the coaches responsibility to make sure that his wrestlers are ready to wrestle. This falls solely on the coach therefore. The same in every other high school sport.

Sounds like the ref did his job and the coach failed his wrestler. The media once again failed to do its job also.
12-27-2018 09:20 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
The way it sounds to me.. the ref did his job.
12-27-2018 11:05 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(12-27-2018 09:20 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The media once again failed to do its job also.

From my view the media accomplished EXACTLY what it wanted to here...........
12-27-2018 11:08 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-27-2018 11:08 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(12-27-2018 09:20 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  The media once again failed to do its job also.

From my view the media accomplished EXACTLY what it wanted to here...........

Yep, it is sad that that is the medias mission these days. They do not even care about the truth.
12-27-2018 11:18 AM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

"An attorney representing the parents of Buena Regional High School wrestler Andrew Johnson released a statement Monday suggesting that Johnson’s impromptu hair cut was due in part to referee Alan Maloney’s tardiness."

“The scholastic wrestling rules clearly state that referees are to inspect wrestlers appearance and determine any rules violations prior to the start of the meet, typically during weigh-ins,” the statement reads in part. “The referee here was late to the meet and missed weigh-ins. When he did evaluate Andrew, he failed to raise any issues with the length of his hair or the need to wear a head covering.”

Sounds like the ref does deserve some of the the blame in this.

read more here: https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/spor...e2b1d.html
12-27-2018 12:28 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-27-2018 12:28 PM)pcm0103 Wrote:  "An attorney representing the parents of Buena Regional High School wrestler Andrew Johnson released a statement Monday suggesting that Johnson’s impromptu hair cut was due in part to referee Alan Maloney’s tardiness."
“The scholastic wrestling rules clearly state that referees are to inspect wrestlers appearance and determine any rules violations prior to the start of the meet, typically during weigh-ins,” the statement reads in part. “The referee here was late to the meet and missed weigh-ins. When he did evaluate Andrew, he failed to raise any issues with the length of his hair or the need to wear a head covering.”
Sounds like the ref does deserve some of the the blame in this.
read more here: https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/spor...e2b1d.html

And, I'm certain that an attorney representing the wrestler's family is an objective source of information.
12-27-2018 12:38 PM
pcm0103 Offline
1st String

He is until the information has been checked and verified.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
12-27-2018 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.