ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stith Injury
Fatalisk Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
MyBB Stith Injury
I didn't get to see the game. Can anyone describe the mechanism of injury? I saw from the game thread he came back in, which is a good sign, even if it was brief.

He is clearly integral to our success this year.
12-22-2018 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

RE: Stith Injury
It figures the only game I’ve attended in person this year, our star player gets hurt.

It looked like his should popped out of the socket. They put it back in and he came back but he wasn’t remotely the same and then took himself out for good.

Hopefully rest will fix what ails him but it wasn’t great, he was in some definite pain.
12-22-2018 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CUSAmonarchman Offline
Special Teams

I didn’t get a good look at what happened. He went up for a shot and came down down lame.
12-22-2018 05:19 PM
AdoptedMonarch Online
Heisman

Whatever caused it wasn't a noticeably rough event. It happened on a missed shot by ODU (I didn't think it was BJ who took the shot). As the team was running back on defense, BJ was hunched over with his left hand back behind his left knee, or perhaps lower hamstring.

Morgan State made their shot, and the refs called an official time out. He went right to the end of the bench, but only for a minute, when he then went back to the locker room for the remainder of the first half.

He came out for the second half, but was only ifor the briefest amount of time. He then sat in the bench for the remainder of the game.

It was difficult to tell what was hurting him. My brother in law thought that he might have taken a shot to the pills. I thought the trainer was looking at his knee. Neither of us guessed it was the shoulder.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 05:31 PM by AdoptedMonarch.)
12-22-2018 05:26 PM
north beach monarch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
I sit on the floor happen in front of us. At first thought looked like shoulder popped out, dislocated. That’s why his arm was behind his leg. If it was dislocated and popped back in he wouldn’t have gone back in the game. That’s was a good sign. I tried to read Stith talking to jones lips couldn’t make it out. I’m thinking strained, or stinger, and 12 days should be ok.
12-22-2018 05:44 PM
Special Teams

Definitely shoulder.
12-22-2018 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Lion Pride Offline
Bench Warmer

It appeared to be his left shoulder. Wouldn't want to speculate that it was dislocated but definitely looked like it. That's where he and the trainer were working when on the bench. In the second half, he still was favoring that arm and trying to move it around to keep it mobile and loose. In the post game show, no one stated what the injury was but JJ indicated that the the rest before Marshall would be a key.
12-22-2018 05:52 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

When he came out, that left arm was hanging way down and he was not moving it at all and was obviously in significant pain. I was worried about dislocation, but when he came back, I figured it couldn't be that severe, even when he obviously still had issues. They never applied ice or did any further treatment.
12-22-2018 05:56 PM
Prideofalion Online
1st String

Why would they of put him back in the game after a dislocation?
12-22-2018 06:19 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

WAS IT LEFT OR RIGHT? Please someone confirm.
12-22-2018 06:19 PM
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

It was dislocated. It was hanging down significantly below his other arm and he barely ran down the court and even put his other hand up to call to be taken out.

Let’s hope it was just dislocated and put back in and nothing more serious than that.
12-22-2018 06:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JJMonarch Offline
1st String

We were sitting close to the action and whatever contact there was it was not obvious. BJ went up for a shot in traffic and apparently got hit or came down hard on someone with his shoulder. We definitely thought it was a shoulder dislocation at the time or maybe a bad stinger. Our hope was there was no separation or ligaments being stretched or torn. Certainly hopeful nothing more than a bad stinger. He was difinitely in a lot of pain.
12-22-2018 06:21 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
Just to join the chorus it was his left shoulder. We stayed after the game to listen to the post game show at the Ted. After he did the postgame interview a gentleman asked Coach Jones about Stith and he said he honestly didn't know. Stith was being evaluated and he, JJ, would get the report when he went back to the locker room. Maybe Ed Miller will follow it up or somebody will tweet us something.
12-22-2018 07:02 PM
Special Teams

No ice wrap while on the bench so no swelling, arm by his side mostly motionless, constantly shaking his hand, I say it’s a pinched nerve, stinger. BJ said he will be all right and ready
12-22-2018 08:34 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(12-22-2018 08:34 PM)north beach monarch Wrote:  No ice wrap while on the bench so no swelling, arm by his side mostly motionless, constantly shaking his hand, I say it’s a pinched nerve, stinger. BJ said he will be all right and ready

I got home and watched the replay on tv. It was definitely a freak injury. It looked like BJ pump faked into his defender and they collided with his upper body ( chest/left shoulder). When contact was made BJ attempted a fade away jumper but didn't have anything on the shot. It looked like the type of play you see all the time, a good no call and the contact didn't look very physical. Just a weird injury, but painful without a doubt.
12-22-2018 09:56 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
Rare at his age, but looking at the replay and seeing minimal contact, without the usual visible signs of dislocation, my guess is a ruptured proximal biceps tendon.
I hope I am wrong, because that would put him out for the season.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2018 10:26 PM by ODUalum78.)
12-22-2018 10:25 PM
Advertisement

ODUDJ96 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Monarchs!!!
(12-22-2018 05:19 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  It figures the only game I’ve attended in person this year, our star player gets hurt.

It looked like his should popped out of the socket. They put it back in and he came back but he wasn’t remotely the same and then took himself out for good.

Hopefully rest will fix what ails him but it wasn’t great, he was in some definite pain.

I have a ticket for you for both Marshall and Western if you’re interested. We could sit shoulder to shoulder rooting for our Monarchs!
12-22-2018 10:29 PM
djnva Offline
All American

(12-22-2018 10:25 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Rare at his age, but looking at the replay and seeing minimal contact, without the usual visible signs of dislocation, my guess is a ruptured proximal biceps tendon.

If it was something like that that you could diagnose on replay, why would the training staff put him back into the game to see if he could fight through it?
12-22-2018 10:44 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(12-22-2018 10:25 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Rare at his age, but looking at the replay and seeing minimal contact, without the usual visible signs of dislocation, my guess is a ruptured proximal biceps tendon.

01-wingedeagle
12-22-2018 10:46 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-22-2018 10:44 PM)djnva Wrote:  

If it was something like that that you could diagnose on replay, why would the training staff put him back into the game to see if he could fight through it?

I had that injury. I was at bat in a softball game.
Initially there is nothing but a pop and pain. The pain dulls but afterward but there is no strength in the arm.

The shoulder hurts a lot but it is manageable. Without an MRI there is nothing visible and no other way of diagnosing it until a few days later when there may be bruising and your bicep looks like you are on the juice.
04-cheers
12-22-2018 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.