Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#3 Johnson
Bookmark and Share
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
#3 Johnson
Is Diontae Johnson coming back? God I hope so. In terms of The Bahamas Bowl, we all knew what to expect. I think optimistically we will only be better in 19.

GO ROCKETS !!!
12-21-2018 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BDV27 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: #3 Johnson
(12-21-2018 05:39 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Is Diontae Johnson coming back? God I hope so. In terms of The Bahamas Bowl, we all knew what to expect. I think optimistically we will only be better in 19.

GO ROCKETS !!!

We won’t be better if our Defense doesn’t improve. This D is just so soft. It beyond painful to watch
12-21-2018 06:27 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

Hope I'm wrong, but I think he going to declare for the draft.
12-21-2018 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-21-2018 06:40 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  Hope I'm wrong, but I think he going to declare for the draft.

He is not ready for the NFL. Drops way too many passes and needs to add some size to his frame. I think that just like Chester Taylor, he would benefit greatly from 1 more year of college ball. I think the same is true of Dwayne Haskins at OSU. There is the legitimate fear of coming back and getting hurt - and ending any chance of that NFL career. Tough to argue against that, even though I would think the odds of that happening are fairly low.

If they don't have their degree and are marginal about even getting drafted then it should strengthen the argument for coming back for that one more year - while also trying to raise their value for the draft in the following year.

I wonder if there are any stats on the guys that left early and were able to convert it to an NFL career - but eliminating the "blue chippers" like an Ezekial Elliott, Joey Bosa, etc. I just don't think it works out well for most. But, they also may no longer want to be in class or on campus and not able to earn much money - and in most cases, taking on debt in order to stay eligible for another year. I don't believe players should be getting paid, so maybe this is the best alternative for those that don't plan on using their degrees after their playing careers are over. It's also why you hope most of the players get a degree in a field that will get them a career vs. just a diploma. As Bill Walton used to say - "college isn't for everyone..."
12-22-2018 11:35 AM
Carolina Rocket Offline
Token fat guy

(12-22-2018 11:35 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(12-21-2018 06:40 PM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  Hope I'm wrong, but I think he going to declare for the draft.

He is not ready for the NFL. Drops way too many passes and needs to add some size to his frame. I think that just like Chester Taylor, he would benefit greatly from 1 more year of college ball. I think the same is true of Dwayne Haskins at OSU. There is the legitimate fear of coming back and getting hurt - and ending any chance of that NFL career. Tough to argue against that, even though I would think the odds of that happening are fairly low.

If they don't have their degree and are marginal about even getting drafted then it should strengthen the argument for coming back for that one more year - while also trying to raise their value for the draft in the following year.

I wonder if there are any stats on the guys that left early and were able to convert it to an NFL career - but eliminating the "blue chippers" like an Ezekial Elliott, Joey Bosa, etc. I just don't think it works out well for most. But, they also may no longer want to be in class or on campus and not able to earn much money - and in most cases, taking on debt in order to stay eligible for another year. I don't believe players should be getting paid, so maybe this is the best alternative for those that don't plan on using their degrees after their playing careers are over. It's also why you hope most of the players get a degree in a field that will get them a career vs. just a diploma. As Bill Walton used to say - "college isn't for everyone..."

I'm thinking about Eric Page...
12-22-2018 12:19 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

Diontae has been a joy to watch over the years. Obviously want him back for a really special senior season, but my money is on him declaring for the draft.
12-22-2018 10:02 PM
Advertisement

indianasniff Offline
All American

#3 Johnson
I thought he was going to graduate this year so I figured he would senior transfer.

That could benefit his stock a lot for the NFL

If we can’t put a better QB on the field than what I saw in bowl game it would be good for him to go where he can get the ball thrown to him in space, especially if we think QBG is going to be our QB. That is probably a diffeeent thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-23-2018 09:12 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Presuming DJ leaves, who catches the ball for us next season? What 3 guys will be expected to step up? Thoughts?
12-23-2018 09:25 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(12-23-2018 09:25 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Presuming DJ leaves, who catches the ball for us next season? What 3 guys will be expected to step up? Thoughts?

Desmond Phillips, Bryce Mitchell and Danzel McKinley-Lewis.
12-23-2018 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

Returning Receivers Next Year other than D. Johnson:

NAME / Class / GP / Rec / Yds / TD
PHILLIPS / SR / 35 / 41 / 348 / 2
McKINLEY-LEWIS / SR / 27 / 31 / 393 / 3
MITCHELL / JR / 27 / 7 / 111 / 1
BLACKMAN / SR / 12 / 6 / 78 / 0
DAVIS / SR / 11 / 3 / 48 / 0
N’SHAKA / JR / 6 / 1 / 2 / 0
KOVACS / SO / 13 / 0 / 0 / 0
CORBETT / SO / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0
CARTER / R-FR / 2 / 0 / 0 / 0
BEALE / R-FR / - / - / - / -
BLEVINS / R-FR / - / - / - / -
COOPER / R-FR / - / - / - / -
MADDOX / R-FR / - / - / - / -
BAKER / FR / - / - / - / -
STRINGER / FR / - / - / - / -
STUART / FR / - / - / - / -

6 TDs and <1000 yards between them.

Phillips & McKinley-Lewis are the only ones with significant experience, and they are both Ms (slot receivers) to date, although may be able to be moved outside. Blackman is also a slot. So, that leaves Mitchell as the only true outside receiver with any experience, so he has to step up next year. Cooper was a highly regarded signee, but will be coming off injury. Kovacs has been on the hands-team for on-side kicks, so likely they trust his hands, but hasn't seen any real time at WR yet. Looks like Davis has been given another year of eligibility, so he may be able to contribute. 2 or 3 of the (RedShirt or True) Freshman likely need to step up and contribute.
12-23-2018 10:12 AM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

(12-22-2018 12:19 PM)Carolina Rocket Wrote:  
(12-22-2018 11:35 AM)MotoRocket Wrote:  

I'm thinking about Eric Page...

Eric injured his ACL right before NFL tryouts. That hurt him more than anything. Teams were just plain trying injure him every time he caught the ball. I hated to see him go, but understood the decision at least from my seat. I really hated that he got hurt.
12-23-2018 05:36 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I would be shocked if he comes back so I hope I am shocked
12-23-2018 07:03 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I don't think he will be back either, but I don't think it is necessarily the right decision. The fact we don't have a solid passing QB (as mentioned by another poster) is a good counter-argument for not coming back. Makes a lot of sense - and the possibility of a graduate transfer to the right program is also a potentially good decision that I didn't consider. I don't know where he is at in terms of getting his degree on time (ie - 4 years). If not on schedule, that option goes out the door.
12-26-2018 11:38 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

He just announced he is leaving to pursue the NFL draft.
12-27-2018 02:46 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

[quote='BrianNowicki' pid='15790480' dateline='1545940013']
He just announced he is leaving to pursue the NFL draft

If he doesn’t get drafted, does he have the option to come back?
12-27-2018 03:00 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-27-2018 03:00 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  [quote='BrianNowicki' pid='15790480' dateline='1545940013']

Does whether or not he signs with an agent also factor in?
12-27-2018 03:02 PM
Advertisement

BrianNowicki Offline
All American

If he signs with an agent he is no longer eligible. My guess is that he is a mid to late round draft pick and will get drafted in one of the later rounds.
12-27-2018 03:51 PM
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

If he stayed, his Draft stock might not have gone up because as mentioned numerous times, the team around him particularly the QBs are just not going to be as good as he's used to. Good luck to #3. Sure going to miss him. Maybe The Lions, Bengals or Browns will draft him. That would be nice.
12-27-2018 04:27 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(12-27-2018 03:02 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(12-27-2018 03:00 PM)BDV27 Wrote:  [quote='BrianNowicki' pid='15790480' dateline='1545940013']

Does whether or not he signs with an agent also factor in?

Whether a player signs with an agent or not does not matter. Once declared for the draft (NFL allows a last opt out date in January for college eligible players to undeclare), any player going into the draft can not than return to college, regardless of drafted or not or if signed with an agent or not.
12-27-2018 04:47 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

And I wish all the best to the three WRs for the NFL draft and chances to play pro next fall. But the draft is a real crap shoot, especially once you get to the mid-late rounds where all three currently rank so no way of knowing how it will all play out for any of them. If not drafted still good chance they get picked up as UDFA and than at least have an opportunity with the hope they take full advantage. But to be realistic plenty of WRs will be available, especially with their skills sets, so big odds to overcome. Still I hope for the best of luck for all three and that they succeed.
12-27-2018 05:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.