Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which CFP format do you want to see?
This poll is closed.
Return to two teams 8.16% 8 8.16%
Keep it at four teams. 17.35% 17 17.35%
Increase to 8 teams – P5 autobids 27.55% 27 27.55%
Increase to 8 teams – no autobids 18.37% 18 18.37%
Increase to 12 teams – conference champs + 2 19.39% 19 19.39%
Increase to 16 teams 9.18% 9 9.18%
Total 98 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

At this point, which CFP playoff format do you prefer?
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation At this point, which CFP playoff format do you prefer?
We have bashed it around so now let's see which arguments are the most persuasive.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2018 08:11 AM by FloridaJag.)
12-21-2018 08:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: At this point, which CFP playoff format do you prefer?
Keep it at 4 to encourage/facilitate a P4 scenario and ND joining a conference in full. Autobids for the P4 champs, but with a caveat that a champ of a non-P4 conference can take the place of a P4 champ if they're ranked higher.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2018 07:20 PM by Nerdlinger.)
12-21-2018 08:26 AM
mpurdy22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Miami (OH)
I selected the wrong one. I would like 8 teams no-autobids. Top 8 period.
12-21-2018 09:25 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(12-21-2018 08:26 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Keep it at 4 to encourage/facilitate a P4 scenario and ND joining a conference in full. Autobids for the P4 champs, but with a caveat that a non-P4 conference champ can take the place of a P4 champ if they're ranked higher.

I like expanding to 8 for now.

5 (P5 autobids) + 1 G5 (autobid) + 2 (best of the rest).

I am assuming the autobids will go to conference champions.
12-21-2018 09:27 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Go back to 2. Keeps more emphasis on conference championships and major bowls as acheivements in their own right and not just part of national championship process.
12-21-2018 09:40 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I voted, despite the fact that my preference wasn't an option. I would do away with the playoff entirely. Go back to voting for a mythical champion at the end of the regular season, and let all the bowls be purely exhibitions, played just for the fun of it.
12-21-2018 10:27 AM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
True NCAA sponsored Championship: 10 Auto-bids, 10 At-larges (minimum requirement).

Otherwise, just a beauty contest
12-21-2018 10:49 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
8 teams - no auto bids. The best 8 by any rule of choice (person/computer/combo of the 2). If you had the 5 auto bid scenario this year - UCF is getting shafted and I think they deserve a top 8 spot (this year anyways).

In any given year, there are somewhere between 6-8 teams who are legitimately good enough to win. It would be very rare to have more than 8 with a shot (unless it was just a super parody year) after that, there is a significant drop off.

If your conference wants to have a CC, that is up to them, it may cost you a seat at the table some years or it may get you an extra team in other years.... in golf that is referred to a "the rub of the green". As long as you can fit those games in, knock yourself out!
12-21-2018 11:09 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
P-5 autobids, a spot for the best G-5 if they are in the Top 8, and 2 or 3 wildcards.
12-21-2018 11:47 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
I prefer the 5-1-2 (which by the way, isn’t even an option in the survey). 5P5 champs are autobids. Top G5 champ is auto bid. Two wildcards selected by the committee.

It’s the only format that allows teams to control thier own fate and provides a route to the playoff that is totally earned on the field. It minimizes the subjective factors and allows teams to overcome politics and brand bias present in any human Committee or poll.

It provides legitimate access for the G5 which represent half of college football.

It also guarantees that the top two teams from the subjective Selection Committee are always in the playoff regardless of what happens in the conference CCGs.

It is the only method that addresses the biggest criticisms of the current system.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2018 12:19 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-21-2018 12:17 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
(12-21-2018 12:17 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  5-1-2

It’s the only format that allows teams to control thier own fate and provides a route to the playoff that is totally earned on the field. It minimizes the subjective factors and allows teams to overcome politics and brand bias present in any human Committee or poll.

It provides legitimate access for the G5 which represent half of college football.

It also guarantees that the top two teams from the subjective Selection Committee are always in the playoff regardless of what happens in the conference CCGs.

It is the only method that addresses the biggest criticisms of the current system.

Agreed
12-21-2018 12:18 PM
Advertisement

FloridaJag Offline
All American

(12-21-2018 10:27 AM)ken d Wrote:  I voted, despite the fact that my preference wasn't an option. I would do away with the playoff entirely. Go back to voting for a mythical champion at the end of the regular season, and let all the bowls be purely exhibitions, played just for the fun of it.

That means you want dragons and fairies to return. 04-cheers
12-21-2018 01:36 PM
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(12-21-2018 11:47 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  P-5 autobids, a spot for the best G-5 if they are in the Top 8, and 2 or 3 wildcards.

If the best G-5 is in top 8, they already get the wild card. This should modify to if they in top 12, they are in.
12-21-2018 01:40 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
(12-21-2018 10:27 AM)ken d Wrote:  I voted, despite the fact that my preference wasn't an option. I would do away with the playoff entirely. Go back to voting for a mythical champion at the end of the regular season, and let all the bowls be purely exhibitions, played just for the fun of it.

Dont know if you are serious or not, but if they aren't going to structure an FBS playoff under the same format rules every other NCAA sport is played, than I support this option to do away with it entirely.
12-21-2018 01:50 PM
Auburn_Blazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: Auburn & UAB
Voted for the 12 team option but I think I'd rather have it be 16 teams with all 10 conferences getting auto bids and 6 at large.
12-21-2018 02:09 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Is Army part of a G5 auto-bid? BYU?

For example, no way is a 10-3 Tulsa getting in over a 10-2 LSU. Not gonna happen. Maybe a G5 team ranked in the top 8 can get an auto-bid, but that’s about it.
12-21-2018 02:44 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-21-2018 01:50 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  

Dont know if you are serious or not, but if they aren't going to structure an FBS playoff under the same format rules every other NCAA sport is played, than I support this option to do away with it entirely.

I was being as serious as a heart attack. In many ways I think Americans' compulsion to have one, and only one, winner at the end of the season is a serious national character flaw. A conference championship should be a worthwhile ultimate goal in its own right IMO.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2018 04:51 PM by ken d.)
12-21-2018 04:47 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(12-21-2018 04:47 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-21-2018 01:50 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  

I was being as serious as a heart attack. In many ways I think Americans' compulsion to have one, and only one, winner at the end of the season is a serious national character flaw. A conference championship should be a worthwhile ultimate goal in its own right IMO.

... but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs
12-21-2018 04:59 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(12-21-2018 08:26 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Keep it at 4 to encourage/facilitate a P4 scenario and ND joining a conference in full. Autobids for the P4 champs, but with a caveat that a non-P4 conference champ can take the place of a P4 champ if they're ranked higher.

The Big 12 isn't going to die easily. Better to go to 8 to make the playoffs match the conference structure rather than an ill fitting playoff that won't reward all 5 P5 champs (and the top G5 champ too)
12-21-2018 05:16 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I'd prefer to return to the BCS.
12-21-2018 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.