Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DXL Frisco Bowl: Ohio vs San Diego State
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
DXL Frisco Bowl: Ohio vs San Diego State
A good intersectional G5 matchup. And an unusual one, in that it is being played on pretty much neutral turf - teams from California and Ohio have traveled over a thousand miles each to play in this game being held in the Dallas area. The intimate venue, site of the FCS title game, should add some excitement to the mix!

The MAC Ohio Bobcats are sneaky- pretty good. CM says they are the #52 team in the country, ahead of MAC champ NIU. Ohio finished strong, going 5-1 down the stretch, including a 30 point shellacking of Buffalo. Two of their four losses were very close at the hands of Cincinnati and Northern Illinois. They haven't been embarrassed all year.

In contrast, MWC San Diego State limps in to this bowl on a 3-game losing streak. However, the MWC was very good this year, and they do have wins over Arizona State and Boise State, and a very respectable loss to Fresno State. So if they pull it together, the #74 Aztecs could give the Bobcats a good game.

I'll be watching! 02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 06:45 PM by quo vadis.)
12-19-2018 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
RE: DXL Frisco Bowl: Ohio vs San Diego State
Im curious about the crowd for tonight. Both schools are being forced to travel quite a long distance (over a thousand miles each). I would expect traveling fans will not be as plentiful as they might be in a more drivable situation. The distance also makes both teams unlikely to benefit from a lot of local buzz. On the up side, the stadium only holds 20K--so it should only take about 15K to give the place a decent atmosphere. The game itself should be competitive and entertaining.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 07:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-19-2018 07:41 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Ohio leads 10-0 in the 2nd quarter.

SDSU totally stuffed so far.
12-19-2018 08:57 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

SDS fumbles in the red zone .... Ohio continues to dominate, 20-0
12-19-2018 10:01 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
(12-19-2018 10:01 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  SDS fumbles in the red zone .... Ohio continues to dominate, 20-0

This offense isn't designed to come back from a deficit.
12-19-2018 10:04 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-19-2018 07:41 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im curious about the crowd for tonight. Both schools are being forced to travel quite a long distance (over a thousand miles each). I would expect traveling fans will not be as plentiful as they might be in a more drivable situation. The distance also makes both teams unlikely to benefit from a lot of local buzz. On the up side, the stadium only holds 20K--so it should only take about 15K to give the place a decent atmosphere. The game itself should be competitive and entertaining.

Not going to be good. California schools don’t travel and it’s a pre-Christmas Bowl.
12-19-2018 10:09 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

MAC #4 dominating MW #6.
Oh SDSU....following the Rocky Long mantra of not showing up in Bowl games.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 10:58 PM by MWC Tex.)
12-19-2018 10:17 PM
slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2018 10:17 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  MAC #4 dominating MW #4.
Oh SDSU....following the Rocky Long mantra of not showing up in Bowl games.

I did the research last year, and I dont think I'm mis-remembering: Rocky Long 1-3 vs service academies in bowls. So, yeah, this is on brand.
12-19-2018 10:22 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

With Ohio up 27-0 late, i think we can call this.

Congratulations Ohio Bobcats, Frisco Bowl Champs!
12-19-2018 10:44 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Good win for Ohio.
Congrats Bobcats!
12-19-2018 10:51 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Solich bests Rocky Long in the Greyhair Bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 10:57 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
12-19-2018 10:54 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2018 10:54 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Solich bests Rocky Long in the Greyhair Bowl.

With Bill Snyder's retirement, two of the three oldest head coaches.
12-19-2018 10:59 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Ohio was sneaky good all year long, Congrats Bobcats.
12-19-2018 11:02 PM
JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(12-19-2018 11:02 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Ohio was sneaky good all year long, Congrats Bobcats.

Could not agree more.....Their QB, Rourke really impressed me when they played at Cincinnati. OU dropped a couple games, especially the Miami loss, that really screwed up their season.
12-19-2018 11:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Man that was a tiny crowd. Appeared to be the even smaller than the tiny Cure Bowl crowd. As for the game---that Ohio QB was darned good. Very accurate and not a bad runner.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 02:27 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-19-2018 11:52 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(12-19-2018 11:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Man that was a tiny crowd. Appeared to be the smallest bowl crowd so far. That Ohio QB was darned good. Very accurate and not a bad runner.

Lot of rain during the game on a cold night with 2 teams out of the region making it hard for their fans to travel. 07-coffee3
12-20-2018 12:16 AM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Online
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(12-20-2018 12:16 AM)panite Wrote:  
(12-19-2018 11:52 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Man that was a tiny crowd. Appeared to be the smallest bowl crowd so far. That Ohio QB was darned good. Very accurate and not a bad runner.

Lot of rain during the game on a cold night with 2 teams out of the region making it hard for their fans to travel. 07-coffee3

This was a made for tv bowl just like the majority created by ESPN lately.

It wasn’t a cold night (at least not for me) but it’s the middle of the week on the week before Christmas and two teams that are far from DFW. I was in Allen today (which is next to Frisco) and it was like there wasn’t a bowl game happening tonight and didn’t see anybody wearing Ohio or San Diego State gear.

DFW has four bowls and the FCS championship. It’s a saturated market. Last year Utah vs West Virginia on the Heart of Dallas was pretty much empty. Nobody from Pittsburgh/Morgantown and Salt Lake City was going to fly 1k miles for a meaningless bowl right after Christmas. Other than the Cotton Bowl, the other three local bowls need regional P5/G5 schools to have any attendance over 20k.
12-20-2018 02:20 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-20-2018 02:20 AM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  
(12-20-2018 12:16 AM)panite Wrote:  

This was a made for tv bowl just like the majority created by ESPN lately.

It wasn’t a cold night (at least not for me) but it’s the middle of the week on the week before Christmas and two teams that are far from DFW. I was in Allen today (which is next to Frisco) and it was like there wasn’t a bowl game happening tonight and didn’t see anybody wearing Ohio or San Diego State gear.

DFW has four bowls and the FCS championship. It’s a saturated market. Last year Utah vs West Virginia on the Heart of Dallas was pretty much empty. Nobody from Pittsburgh/Morgantown and Salt Lake City was going to fly 1k miles for a meaningless bowl right after Christmas. Other than the Cotton Bowl, the other three local bowls need regional P5/G5 schools to have any attendance over 20k.

No, I think he's basically right. I talked about it earlier in the thread when I said I was curious what kind of crowd the game would draw. Two teams---both over 1000 miles away....that doesnt help. G5 bowls need to be regional. Ideally, you'd want both teams to be within driving distance of the stadium. At the very minimum---it would have done much better if at least one of the teams was relatively close. Had someone local like SMU/NTexas/LaTech/etc been involved it would have done better.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 02:34 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-20-2018 02:29 AM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Their QB, Rourke really impressed me when they played at Cincinnati. OU dropped a couple games, especially the Miami loss, that really screwed up their season.

OH. They had it against Cinci. Cinci's coach was calling TO at the end, as Ohio (finally) came back to take the lead again to win the game at the goal-line..... and then the mistake.

In the end, Ohio was our best. I knew Ohio'd win. But Shutout? WOW.
12-20-2018 04:08 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-20-2018 04:08 AM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Their QB, Rourke really impressed me when they played at Cincinnati. OU dropped a couple games, especially the Miami loss, that really screwed up their season.

OH. They had it against Cinci. Cinci's coach was calling TO at the end, as Ohio (finally) came back to take the lead again to win the game at the goal-line..... and then the mistake.

In the end, Ohio was our best. I knew Ohio'd win. But Shutout? WOW.

Wiggins, UC’s safety, made a heck of a play. He knew that OU was going to Papi White so he anticipated the pass.

Ohio played well against the Bearcats, going up 21-0 in the first 20 minutes of the game. The next 40 minutes UC shut the Bobcats down outscoring them 34-9.
12-20-2018 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.