Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obamacare unconstitutional
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Huge win today for the American people.

And ideal for fixing health care when neither side can get its way. But maybe not with this group of TDS Democrats.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/1...al-1066640
12-14-2018 09:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Obamacare unconstitutional
While the ACA is horrible, the logic in this ruling is flimsy. Judicial activism is bad no matter who does it
12-14-2018 10:10 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Good.
12-14-2018 10:23 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-14-2018 10:10 PM)solohawks Wrote:  While the ACA is horrible, the logic in this ruling is flimsy. Judicial activism is bad no matter who does it

Well, this was the hope of the plaintiffs in the original lawsuit challenging the mandate, that without the mandate it would not be sustainable. I don't know, I can see a ruling that the repeal of the mandate was the unconstitutional part.

The bottom line is that we need a different approach to health care. Republicans had several years and screwed the pooch. I don't know where we go from here.
12-14-2018 10:28 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2018 10:28 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-14-2018 10:10 PM)solohawks Wrote:  While the ACA is horrible, the logic in this ruling is flimsy. Judicial activism is bad no matter who does it

Well, this was the hope of the plaintiffs in the original lawsuit challenging the mandate, that without the mandate it would not be sustainable. I don't know, I can see a ruling that the repeal of the mandate was the unconstitutional part.

The bottom line is that we need a different approach to health care. Republicans had several years and screwed the pooch. I don't know where we go from here.

But you dont deem it unconstitutional on a Friday night as the open enrollment period is about to expire. That is terrible PR.

The courts had their chance at this at Justice Solomon caved. It needs to be handled through the legislature at this point.

If Obamacare is constitutional with a tax of $X I dont understand how it's not constitutional if the tax is $0. Remember the tax wasnt repealed it was set to $0
12-14-2018 10:36 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

Initial lawsuits and rulings against Obamacare were far from judicial activism. It was a poorly written law that raised a lot of serious issues. After Roberts did what he did the courts were no longer the Avenue to try and get the law overturned
12-14-2018 10:38 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
[Image: giphy.gif]
12-14-2018 11:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Live by the sword and you perish by it.
12-15-2018 12:44 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Great night for America
12-15-2018 12:58 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

It might seem that way, but its really not. The entire concept of the law was that by essentially requiring EVERYONE to be in the insured pool---there would be enough resources to cover all pre-existing conditions. Without the very basic leg of the law that the mandate represented---the rest of the law collapses under its own weight. In other words, the Federal government cannot foist an obviously broken law full of huge financial responsibilities and costs upon the states, when that law no longer represents the intent of the Congress that passed it.

He's saying if the present law in its present form is what the Federal Government really wants to foist upon the states---then it needs to pass a piece of legislation that with all of Obamacare's provisions and no mandate in order to comply with the constitution. More or less, what he's saying is this "version" of Obamacare never really passed. What it really represents is a passed bill and then a second bill that intentionally rendered the original Obamacare plan unworkable. Its actually a brilliant fix for a huge mess.

Frankly, Demcrats, Republicans, and all Americans should be euphoric. They get another at bat. How about this time you work together in a bipartisan manner, actually read the friggin legislation before you pass it-----and dont stick the middle class with the entire bill.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2018 01:29 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-15-2018 01:12 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country.
12-15-2018 01:18 AM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-15-2018 01:18 AM)No Bull Wrote:  For the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country.

Ha! I can’t believe you gave away that your first name is Michelle!!
12-15-2018 06:58 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
Winning!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-15-2018 08:05 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(12-14-2018 10:36 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

But you dont deem it unconstitutional on a Friday night as the open enrollment period is about to expire. That is terrible PR.

The courts had their chance at this at Justice Solomon caved. It needs to be handled through the legislature at this point.

If Obamacare is constitutional with a tax of $X I dont understand how it's not constitutional if the tax is $0. Remember the tax wasnt repealed it was set to $0

The original ruling is that the "mandate" itself was unconstitutional. You can not force people into commerce. The reason Obamacare was allowed to stand was because, in essence, the SC said you had a choice whether or not to participate. If you didnt participate, you had to pay a tax, and the SC said that was constitutional.

So congress and the President last year passed a law which removed the tax.

So now, as the law stands, you can choose to participate or not, just like before. The only difference is that you no longer have to pay the tax if you dont participate.

There is no way this challenge isnt upheld. The SC said congress has taxing powers in the first pass. You cant say in one case congress has taxing powers, and in the next say they dont.
12-15-2018 09:24 AM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
We'll have ACA or Medicare For All, take your pick.
12-15-2018 09:31 AM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Talk about a false choice.

So, you’re suggesting the only options are $2419.00 monthly premiums with 12000+ deductible OR completely bankrupting a country already 20TRILLION dollars in debt?

Nothing else is possible?

Guess I’ll just quit and go on Medicaid.
12-15-2018 09:55 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(12-14-2018 10:38 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

Initial lawsuits and rulings against Obamacare were far from judicial activism. It was a poorly written law that raised a lot of serious issues. After Roberts did what he did the courts were no longer the Avenue to try and get the law overturned

Roberts did a stretch to rule it constitutional. His reason has been eliminated. So its not activism to overturn it. Its simply making Congress do things right.
12-15-2018 10:30 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Obamacare attacked the wrong problem. Health insurance is not the problem. The cost of health care is the problem.
12-15-2018 10:32 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-15-2018 09:55 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Talk about a false choice.

So, you’re suggesting the only options are $2419.00 monthly premiums with 12000+ deductible OR completely bankrupting a country already 20TRILLION dollars in debt?

Nothing else is possible?

Guess I’ll just quit and go on Medicaid.

No kidding!!

Of course, the entire goal of the left has always been single payer.

Yep - Obumblecare didn’t attack the real problem, as anyone with a brain knows - health insurance isn’t the main driver for the cost of healthcare.

.......and it’s Congress that should fix the mess. Of course, those pushing for exapanded government power have no interest in fixing the system save for single payer........so nothing will get done.
12-15-2018 10:46 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

Article's title is about why ballot harvesting should be illegal, but he talks about Democrat's being the big money party and also the failure of the Republicans the last two years. Its not much different than the 2004-6 Republicans who did nothing about the issues the people cared about.

https://spectator.org/the-corrupt-vote-h...e-illegal/

"Washington Republicans promised for years to repeal and replace Obamacare, and they lied. It was insufficient merely to end Obama’s “individual mandate.” Beyond repealing Obamacare, the need still existed to solve the health insurance crisis and adequately to cover pre-existing conditions. In past decades, Republicans were the party of the rich white-shoe country-club set, the Romneys and Bushes and billionaire Koch Brothers types. Those Republicans kowtowed to the corporate sorts who have no problem importing Illegals and overrunning our southern border with cheap undocumented labor in order to maximize their profits while choking off the wages of low-income American citizens, including hard-working People of Color. In that past, such social economic issues as health care and social security retirement income were concerns of the Democrats, the party of White union workers and seniors, while RINO Republicans utterly did not care.

But Ronald Reagan and then Donald Trump have transformed the GOP into the party of the working stiffs and the Middle Class, the union workers, the ethnic Catholic and blue-collar laborers who work forty-hour weeks for a living and pass it on down the line, and seniors. Those hard workers pay the taxes that sustain this economy. They have earned the right to expect results on health care reform. They are entitled to care about retirement and Social Security because they worked hard and paid into it all their lives. Although “Welfare” is not an “entitlement” and “Food stamps” are not an “entitlement” — no matter what Obama called it — a secure Social Security pension is an entitlement because the recipients paid for it....

<and they didn't deal with the wall either>

"Likewise, Washington Republicans never solved the border crisis. They did not resolve DACA — whether to legalize all of them, deport all of them, or something in between. They did not allocate the needed Wall funding. They did not tighten the border securely enough to keep out the scourges of opioids, human trafficking, MS-13 animals, and outright terrorists. They dropped the ball all over the place as though it were New Year’s Eve at Times Square. They did not govern. If it were not for President Trump achieving so much unilaterally — driving through fabulous judicial nominations, deregulating the economy by executive authority, conducting a muscular foreign policy, recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and moving our embassy there, staring down the priggish Europeans over their NATO cheap penny-pinching and staring down ISIS and others, the past two years would have been a complete waste."
12-15-2018 11:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.