Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Stigma Against My Conservative Politics Is Worse Than The Stigma Of Being Gay
q5sys Offline
1st String

I Root For: MIT & USAFA
The Stigma Against My Conservative Politics Is Worse Than The Stigma Of Being Gay
http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/11/stig...tigma-gay/

Quote:“Why would a person choose a life where they will be hated, judged, and rejected by society?” This was one of the first arguments I learned to defend myself against in arguments about my sexuality. In the late 1990s, it was perceived as a powerful call to the humanity of those who opposed gay rights under the notion that it was merely a lifestyle choice.

The idea was that if we could appeal to others’ sense of compassion for our social plight, perhaps they could understand the effects of their intolerance. I often fantasized about breaking through the walls of prejudice and somehow speaking to the heart of someone who did not yet realize I was just a person like them.

Today I find myself in that same frame of mind and under the same weight of frustration and skepticism, but it’s not because I’m gay. Today I look out across the turbulent sea of political discourse and ask, “Why would anyone choose to be a conservative?” To be a conservative means to openly invite others’ hatred into your life and to lose your humanity in the eyes of strangers who view you exclusively through stereotypes and prejudices.

To be a conservative means to be forced to choose when to speak and when to remain silent, since offending someone on the left, even mildly or by accident, is a social battle you may not be able to win. To be a conservative means carefully regulating your speech and constructing opinions in such a way as to avoid being banned from the public square. To be a conservative means to be a marginalized voice, suppressed and dehumanized; bullied into hesitating to speak out.
12-12-2018 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: The Stigma Against My Conservative Politics Is Worse Than The Stigma Of Being Gay
I laugh when my kids' generation thinks that they are being courageous speaking up for gay rights -- as if there is any risk in doing so.

Courage was displayed by gay-supporters in the 60's, 70's and even a bit into the 80's. These were people who risked their social standing, employment and sometimes their personal safety for standing up for what is right.

It takes no courage whatsoever in today's America to fly a rainbow flag. Real courage is being demonstrated by those, like Mr. Greene, who are standing up to the herd mentality of the American left and expressing contrary views.

I have opinions that run both right and left, depending upon the topic. But what makes me more and more want to align myself with those on the right is the mob-like cowardice and insistence on one-sided thinking that I see daily from the left.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 06:45 AM by AdoptedMonarch.)
12-13-2018 06:45 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: The Stigma Against My Conservative Politics Is Worse Than The Stigma Of Being Gay
(12-13-2018 06:45 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I laugh when my kids' generation thinks that they are being courageous speaking up for gay rights -- as if there is any risk in doing so.

Courage was displayed by gay-supporters in the 60's, 70's and even a bit into the 80's. These were people who risked their social standing, employment and sometimes their personal safety for standing up for what is right.

It takes no courage whatsoever in today's America to fly a rainbow flag. Real courage is being demonstrated by those, like Mr. Greene, who are standing up to the herd mentality of the American left and expressing contrary views.

I have opinions that run both right and left, depending upon the topic. But what makes me more and more want to align myself with those on the right is the mob-like cowardice and insistence on one-sided thinking that I see daily from the left.

Makes me more cantankerous and much more willing to tell a lefty that wants to shut down any opinion they don't agree with to just eff off!! 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 07:42 AM by Crebman.)
12-13-2018 07:37 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(12-13-2018 06:45 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  I laugh when my kids' generation thinks that they are being courageous speaking up for gay rights -- as if there is any risk in doing so.

I feel that way about most of the cause célèbre "issues" of today.

It doesn't take a hero or a defender of righteousness to "champion" causes that have the complete backing of the MSM, the PC crowd, Hollywood, and the progressive left.

It takes more courage to stand up for the Justice Kavanaughs of the world than it does the Christine Blasey Fords in today's world.
12-13-2018 08:26 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
How many trump stickers has anyone ever seen?

5years later I’d place my guess at about 10. And I travel A LOT!

zerO stickers? By the hundreds, even today. Right there with the Coexist and “hate is not a family value” junk.

Now, why would that be? 65 MILLION people voted for the guy, why wouldn’t I see stickers on a third of the cars out there?!?

Hmmmmm...
12-13-2018 09:02 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2018 09:02 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  How many trump stickers has anyone ever seen?

5years later I’d place my guess at about 10. And I travel A LOT!

zerO stickers? By the hundreds, even today. Right there with the Coexist and “hate is not a family value” junk.

Now, why would that be? 65 MILLION people voted for the guy, why wouldn’t I see stickers on a third of the cars out there?!?

Hmmmmm...

In my urban neighborhood, that would have been an invitation to vandalism.

I felt comparatively safe with the Johnson-Weld bumper sticker on my car. But I would never have put a Trump sticker on there.

Of the 100-or-so homes in my neighborhood, there was exactly one guy at the end of the street who put up a Trump sign in his yard the week before election, and he took it down the very next day. I shook his hand, not so much to congratulate him on the election results but instead because he was the one and only Trump supporter in the neighborhood bold enough to announce it.
12-13-2018 09:11 AM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Can't relate. Live in a county that went over 80% Trump.
12-13-2018 11:27 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2018 11:27 AM)banker Wrote:  Can't relate. Live in a county that went over 80% Trump.

I'm guessing that the 20% in your county felt perfectly comfortable putting Clinton-Kaine bumper stickers on their vehicles.

Which I think is JMU Dunk's point.
12-13-2018 11:44 AM
DFWMINER Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies
My daughter is a teacher and she tells me there are several conservative teachers where she works but all fear to let it be known. She says only through time you find out who you can talk freely to.

Pretty sad actually.
12-13-2018 11:55 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama

Perfectly stated, well done.
12-13-2018 11:58 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
As I said when Trump won the EC, I won't hold people responsible for voting for Trump out of ignorance, but I will hold people responsible for people supporting him if its clear that Trump is anti-Gay. And by now, its clear that the Trump Admin is viciously anti-Gay. There's no way to spin it otherwise. People getting denied healthcare, people getting denied funeral services, people getting thrown out of the military for arbitrary reasons, cutting HIV/AIDS funding, refusal of asylum for LGBT persons fleeing death camps, deaths of Transgendered persons in custody, etc. Its a friggin' epidemic.

They have a 'right' to sell out our community because they are somewhat less vulnerable (for now) to the privations of Trumpism due to their wealth and their skin tone. We have a right to be offended by it and to avoid them like the plague. And to make it crystal clear that people like Grinnell and Milo do not represent the LGBT community in any significant way. Thiel actually isn't a part of our community any more than Larry Craig is (both either disavow our community or sue people who claim they are part of it).

Conservative Gays didn't get us any of the still unequal rights we 'enjoy' today. We got those in spite of them and frequently over their strong opposition. As far as I'm concerned, they can hang out with Tony Perkins and Don Wildmon. That's who they further not our community. Why should we include them in our community if they're just going to work against it. If they put their own personal money above the rights and dignity of our community in a fit of selfishness....then let them date and hang out with their money.

There is a place for LGBT Conservatives that espouse some conservative ideas but who stand up for the dignity of the community. Supporting Carlos Curbelo - okay. Donald Trump - hell no.
12-13-2018 06:57 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I wish that employment discrimination against LGBT persons wasn't still very prevalent and very persistent. But it still exists. So does healthcare discrimination. And if you'd like to argue that it doesn't, you'd be wrong, but then why not just make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity?

I wouldn't feel safe flying a rainbow flag in Norfolk either.
12-13-2018 07:06 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
How did Trump deny someone a funeral service? (not arguing, but really stumped at where that originates)
12-13-2018 07:07 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Not only no, but heck no. I'm not stupid to put a Trump decal on my truck. It's obvious Liberals are cowards and will only act on damaging your house, auto or your person when in company of other Liberals or if they are sure they won't be outed.

Anyone remember that coward who was harassing the lady who lost her firefighter son and left rapidly when confronted by another son? Did he confront the woman's son? Heck no, he ran like the coward that he is.

As for poor Tommy I couldn't care less at his whining. It's gotten tiresome. How come shim isn't in a concentration camp yet? LOL, she/he is comical and I only read her posts when someone quotes shim as I have shim on ignore.
12-13-2018 07:22 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-13-2018 07:06 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I wish that employment discrimination against LGBT persons wasn't still very prevalent and very persistent. But it still exists. So does healthcare discrimination. And if you'd like to argue that it doesn't, you'd be wrong, but then why not just make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity?

I generally like and appreciate your posts, Lazy Tom. Whether I agree or not, they are coherent and you go to the effort of offering support for the points you make.

This time you are speaking out of ignorance. If you were to ever pay a visit to Norfolk, you would find the rainbow flag flying proudly in many (if not most) neighborhoods. You would fund the LGBTQ community well represented at every local festival. You would find near-countless options for gay-owned and oriented restaurants. And you would search long and hard for instances of outright discrimination. I'm very proud of my chosen city for this.

Yet, in this same city, it is viewed as acceptable (or at least justifiable) behavior by our local s.j.w.'s to desecrate the Confederate Memorial. (Not my issue. My maternal ancestors fought and died for the Union and my paternal ancestors didn't arrive in this country until the early 20th century. But I can at least respect the views of others who hold their history dear, even if I don't share it.). I am less proud of Norfolk for this.

For you and others, this differential treatment is apparently all fine and righteous. Tolerance works only one way for today's left.
12-13-2018 07:33 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2018 07:33 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

I generally like and appreciate your posts, Lazy Tom. Whether I agree or not, they are coherent and you go to the effort of offering support for the points you make.

This time you are speaking out of ignorance. If you were to ever pay a visit to Norfolk, you would find the rainbow flag flying proudly in many (if not most) neighborhoods. You would fund the LGBTQ community well represented at every local festival. You would find near-countless options for gay-owned and oriented restaurants. And you would search long and hard for instances of outright discrimination. I'm very proud of my chosen city for this.

Yet, in this same city, it is viewed as acceptable (or at least justifiable) behavior by our local s.j.w.'s to desecrate the Confederate Memorial. (Not my issue. My maternal ancestors fought and died for the Union and my paternal ancestors didn't arrive in this country until the early 20th century. But I can at least respect the views of others who hold their history dear, even if I don't share it.). I am less proud of Norfolk for this.

For you and others, this differential treatment is apparently all fine and righteous. Tolerance works only one way for today's left.

Well here in Texas, you fly a rainbow flag outside your business, even in a liberal part of a liberal city, and it'll be attacked

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Ho...425194.php

Here's what's going on in Norfolk. It still happens there too

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/nor...1622899515

Again, if you'd like to argue that LGBT persons are never discriminated against due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, then might I suggest we just simply make it illegal to do so in public, private, and taxpayer subsidized employment and service provision? Seems to me that would get us to shut up, while at the same time costing those that don't discriminate nothing.

----

Please don't compare the fight to enact comprehensive equality legislation for LGBT persons to a fight to retain symbols of slavery and white supremacy.

The Confederacy can be viewed in a proper context. I suggest the following

Any Confederate statue or monument erected must be proportional to the location. So if say, Robert E Lee never went to Louisiana - then there's no reason for him to have a statue there. If Stonewall Jackson never set foot in Norfolk, but did command troops from the area, perhaps a very small - incongruous statue would be in order (along with other military leaders of all colors who led Norfolkians in battle). If the City of Norfolk put up a statue of Harvey Milk in a prominent part of the city, right wingers would lose their minds.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2018 11:08 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-14-2018 11:00 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(12-14-2018 11:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 07:33 PM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

Well here in Texas, you fly a rainbow flag outside your business, even in a liberal part of a liberal city, and it'll be attacked

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Ho...425194.php

Here's what's going on in Norfolk. It still happens there too

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/nor...1622899515

Again, if you'd like to argue that LGBT persons are never discriminated against due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, then might I suggest we just simply make it illegal to do so in public, private, and taxpayer subsidized employment and service provision? Seems to me that would get us to shut up, while at the same time costing those that don't discriminate nothing.

----

Please don't compare the fight to enact comprehensive equality legislation for LGBT persons to a fight to retain symbols of slavery and white supremacy.

The Confederacy can be viewed in a proper context. I suggest the following

Any Confederate statue or monument erected must be proportional to the location. So if say, Robert E Lee never went to Louisiana - then there's no reason for him to have a statue there. If Stonewall Jackson never set foot in Norfolk, but did command troops from the area, perhaps a very small - incongruous statue would be in order (along with other military leaders of all colors who led Norfolkians in battle). If the City of Norfolk put up a statue of Harvey Milk in a prominent part of the city, right wingers would lose their minds.

Quote:Here's what's going on in Norfolk. It still happens there too

If a lawsuit is evidence that Norfolk is an anti-gay city, I guess San Francisco is anti-gay as well? It still happens there.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/articl...164696.php

You know jackschit about Norfolk. Otherwise, you'd be using it as an example, not a smear. There aren't but a handful of neighborhoods that are republican majority and they aren't prominent sections of the city. The rest got the hell out of there and moved to Virginia Beach and Chesapeake in the 80s and 90s. What is left is a typical city mixed with poverty, military housing, limousine liberals, millennials, students, professors, and the arts.
12-14-2018 11:21 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-14-2018 11:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Again, if you'd like to argue that LGBT persons are never discriminated against due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, then might I suggest we just simply make it illegal to do so in public, private, and taxpayer subsidized employment and service provision? Seems to me that would get us to shut up, while at the same time costing those that don't discriminate nothing.

No, it would cost those who don't discriminate, and who properly grease the palms of the discrimination police, nothing. Of course, greasing this palms would cost something. But it's how you get a building permit, or a certificate of occupancy, or anything else involving government regulators in places like Chicago where D's rule.

And those who don't discriminate, but play it by the rules, would be in constant peril of defending meritless actions brought by anyone with an axe to grind and aided and abetted by a legion of bureaucrats looking for reasons to justify their own existence.

Quote:Any Confederate statue or monument erected must be proportional to the location. So if say, Robert E Lee never went to Louisiana - then there's no reason for him to have a statue there. If Stonewall Jackson never set foot in Norfolk, but did command troops from the area, perhaps a very small - incongruous statue would be in order (along with other military leaders of all colors who led Norfolkians in battle). If the City of Norfolk put up a statue of Harvey Milk in a prominent part of the city, right wingers would lose their minds.

And God only knows what havoc we would incur by entrusting such subjective judgement to a new legion of statue bureaucrats. I think the proper place for such statues is in museums or in places where they have historic significance. But the last thing I want is a Statue Regulatory Commission.
12-14-2018 11:25 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2018 11:25 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-14-2018 11:00 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Again, if you'd like to argue that LGBT persons are never discriminated against due to their sexual orientation or gender identity, then might I suggest we just simply make it illegal to do so in public, private, and taxpayer subsidized employment and service provision? Seems to me that would get us to shut up, while at the same time costing those that don't discriminate nothing.

No, it would cost those who don't discriminate, and who properly grease the palms of the discrimination police, nothing. Of course, greasing this palms would cost something. But it's how you get a building permit, or a certificate of occupancy, or anything else involving government regulators in places like Chicago where D's rule.

And those who don't discriminate, but play it by the rules, would be in constant peril of defending meritless actions brought by anyone with an axe to grind and aided and abetted by a legion of bureaucrats looking for reasons to justify their own existence.

Quote:Any Confederate statue or monument erected must be proportional to the location. So if say, Robert E Lee never went to Louisiana - then there's no reason for him to have a statue there. If Stonewall Jackson never set foot in Norfolk, but did command troops from the area, perhaps a very small - incongruous statue would be in order (along with other military leaders of all colors who led Norfolkians in battle). If the City of Norfolk put up a statue of Harvey Milk in a prominent part of the city, right wingers would lose their minds.

And God only knows what havoc we would incur by entrusting such subjective judgement to a new legion of statue bureaucrats. I think the proper place for such statues is in museums or in places where they have historic significance. But the last thing I want is a Statue Regulatory Commission.

What you are arguing is that LGBT persons must pay 100% of the costs of discrimination, which is what happens when there are no protections against discrimination in the law.

Lets bring this back to the OP

And having people who due to their vast wealth and ability to blend in (skin tone) dismiss the impact of discrimination because it doesn't really impact them financially is seen as selfish by the overwhelming majority of the LGBT community. And people who solely criticize the left while ignoring far more numerous and worse abuses of our community by the right, while trying to sell themselves as an excuse to ignore claims of discrimination are seen as deeply offensive.

So they have trouble finding people to sleep with them and they're not welcomed as a member of the community when they attempt to interact with it. In return, they get their tax cut, their job in conservative circles (where they are basically paid to not ever stand up for the LGBT community against Trump), the funding for their next book, or advancing their media career.

So how has Richard Grinnell's appointment to be an Ambassador to a country Trump hates actually helped advance any LGBT rights? How about how has ANY LGBT conservative leader since 2000 or so advanced Gay rights?
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2018 11:46 AM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
12-14-2018 11:44 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2018 11:21 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  If a lawsuit is evidence that Norfolk is an anti-gay city, I guess San Francisco is anti-gay as well? It still happens there.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/articl...164696.php

You know jackschit about Norfolk. Otherwise, you'd be using it as an example, not a smear. There aren't but a handful of neighborhoods that are republican majority and they aren't prominent sections of the city. The rest got the hell out of there and moved to Virginia Beach and Chesapeake in the 80s and 90s. What is left is a typical city mixed with poverty, military housing, limousine liberals, millennials, students, professors, and the arts.

I endorse this response.

In eleven sentences of the Norfolk-based article you've attached, Lazy Tom, the word "says" (or some variation) is used 4 times, the word "claims" twice, and the word "alleges" twice.

You are usually a serious poster, Lazy Tom. But this particular argument is not even close to serious. And it runs the additional risk of alienating other posters (me, for example) who might otherwise be sympathetic to your position.

Gays have faced serious discrimination in this country. And I have no doubt still do. But if you cannot see astounding progress over the last two generations in America, as much if not more than most anywhere else in the world, then you are dangerously blind on this particular subject.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2018 02:01 PM by AdoptedMonarch.)
12-14-2018 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.