Mason Fine - Long Ball King!
12-11-2018 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: Mason Fine - Long Ball King!
(12-11-2018 02:10 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/uploa...598af6.jpg

That can't be. I have it on the very good authority of a LA Tech fan that Fine floats his passes and was going to have problems with interceptions this season. This same Dawgs fan was very insistent that Fine lacked the arm strength to make the down field throws. Are you sure Mason Fine was the best in college football at throwing the long ball? You must have made this up. His ceiling just isn't that high. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2018 08:52 PM by Side Show Joe.)
12-11-2018 08:51 PM
Tech80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Wow! seems there can't be a single thread, on any topic, without someone invoking "some La Tech fan....says: ______ " (fill in the blank). This "some La Tech fan" has really gotten into your heads. Which, if this "some La Tech fan" is who I think it is, well, that's his intention. Mission accomplished.

Now I see there's a thread comparing Fine and Stockstill, and who's the best QB in CUSA. I don't have an opinion on that. All I know is we have the worst QB in CUSA. Anyone want to throw their QB into that argument?
12-13-2018 08:43 AM
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNT
Might as well add that he has the second highest adjusted completion percentage IN ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL

[Image: DuQyaweXgAEHRu-.jpg]
12-13-2018 09:36 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
Brandon Doughty had a QB rating of 167 in 2014 and 176 in 2015 with 68% & 72% on completions, with a Y/A of 8.8 & 9.4...all way above Mason Fine .

Brandon Doughty had a weak throwing arm and its why he never made it past the practice team in the NFL and he had NFL size
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 01:52 PM by WKUYG.)
12-13-2018 01:49 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(12-13-2018 01:49 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Brandon Doughty had a QB rating of 167 in 2014 and 176 in 2015 with 68% & 72% on completions, with a Y/A of 8.8 & 9.4...all way above Mason Fine .

Brandon Doughty had a weak throwing arm and its why he never made it past the practice team in the NFL and he had NFL size

Fine has the arm but not the size. He looks destined for the CFL. Reminds me of Doug Flutie. He's fun to watch.

I wish Brent had the receiving corp that Fine has or the OL that Doughty had. Especially the line. Could have been a special season. We've lamented this fact a lot, but it's really hard to believe that Rick - with his son as QB - didn't do more to make sure he had a strong line to protect him. Sacked almost as many times this season (33) as the rest of his career combined (38). And though not as elusive as Fine he escaped a lot more that should have been sacks. It's just absurd how bad our OL was this year. Miracle we made it to the title game.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 02:01 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
12-13-2018 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2018 08:43 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  Wow! seems there can't be a single thread, on any topic, without someone invoking "some La Tech fan....says: ______ " (fill in the blank). This "some La Tech fan" has really gotten into your heads. Which, if this "some La Tech fan" is who I think it is, well, that's his intention. Mission accomplished.

Now I see there's a thread comparing Fine and Stockstill, and who's the best QB in CUSA. I don't have an opinion on that. All I know is we have the worst QB in CUSA. Anyone want to throw their QB into that argument?

No, just pointing out that this LA Tech fan was wrong, which I tried to tell him before the season even started. This particular LT fan was very adamant that Fine didn't have enough arm strength to make the down field throws, and honestly believed J'Mar Smith had more up side.
12-13-2018 06:53 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(12-13-2018 06:53 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 08:43 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  Wow! seems there can't be a single thread, on any topic, without someone invoking "some La Tech fan....says: ______ " (fill in the blank). This "some La Tech fan" has really gotten into your heads. Which, if this "some La Tech fan" is who I think it is, well, that's his intention. Mission accomplished.

No, just pointing out that this LA Tech fan was wrong, which I tried to tell him before the season even started. This particular LT fan was very adamant that Fine didn't have enough arm strength to make the down field throws, and honestly believed J'Mar Smith had more up side.

Living rent free in Side Joe’s Mind!

BTW That is not what I said at all, I said Fine was a better college QB but Smith has much higher upside aka much stronger Arm, faster, much larger frame. And that necessarily doesnt translate to better performing QB in College. I said Fine was good college QB.
12-13-2018 06:59 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

BTW Fine does have a weak arm, floats downfield passes. One of reasons he will not play in the NFL.
12-13-2018 07:02 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Quite possibly, but it is combination of scheme and lack of confidence. He has the tangibles, cannon arm, speed and size
12-13-2018 07:07 PM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

Side Show I said a couple years ago when Tech played Texas Tech that Mahomes was the best college QB I had ever seen, and he will be the next great NFL QB. At the time Mahommes wasnt even a first round projection pick.
12-13-2018 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-13-2018 07:02 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  BTW Fine does have a weak arm, floats downfield passes. One of reasons he will not play in the NFL.

Fine does not have a weak arm. If he had a weak arm, he would not have led the nation in down field passing. What you call floating passes, most call dropping them over the receivers shoulder, which requires the QB to up some air under the throw. I have seen Fine throw several passes over his 3 seasons at UNT. He can certainly rifle passes on a rope when it is the appropriate throw to make.

None of it changes the fact that, once again, Fine had a better season then Smith, who you have claimed has more up side. I'm even willing to predict that Fine will have a better season then Smith next year too.
12-13-2018 09:35 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

This down field passing you are talking about also includes short passes that went for longer yards after the catch...

if not can you show me where its broken down to 15 yard passes, 20 yard passes, 30 yard passes...so on? I didn't go to the link so maybe I'm the one mistaken but I dont see how any stat can go off just "down field passes". I know Western's stats dont have a column breaking down passes in the air vs the run after the catch.

Seems like that would be impossible to do so I'm assuming down field passes include a 2 yard pass that gains 25 yards, as down field. Or a jet sweep where the QB flips the ball to the WR and if it goes for 20 yards that's a "down field pass". In Western's play by play each of those are going to be listed as a pass = to total yards at the end of the play. So a QB with a weak arm might beat out a qb with a cannon...

system matters
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 10:58 PM by WKUYG.)
12-13-2018 10:55 PM
NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

(12-13-2018 10:55 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  This down field passing you are talking about also includes short passes that went for longer yards after the catch...

if not can you show me where its broken down to 15 yard passes, 20 yard passes, 30 yard passes...so on? I didn't go to the link so maybe I'm the one mistaken but I dont see how any stat can go off just "down field passes". I know Western's stats dont have a column breaking down passes in the air vs the run after the catch.

Seems like that would be impossible to do so I'm assuming down field passes include a 2 yard pass that gains 25 yards, as down field. Or a jet sweep where the QB flips the ball to the WR and if it goes for 20 yards that's a "down field pass". In Western's play by play each of those are going to be listed as a pass = to total yards at the end of the play. So a QB with a weak arm might beat out a qb with a cannon...

system matters

Check out the link. Quote from the graphic: "Highest passer rating on deep throws (20+ yards): FBS QB's." They are not counting short passes.
12-14-2018 12:34 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2018 12:34 AM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 10:55 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  This down field passing you are talking about also includes short passes that went for longer yards after the catch...

system matters

Check out the link. Quote from the graphic: "Highest passer rating on deep throws (20+ yards): FBS QB's." They are not counting short passes.

I can see what the picture shows but what I cant find is the link to any article on it. And there's no link explaining what "adjusted completion % ". It's either a completions or its not.
12-14-2018 01:45 AM
Tech80 Offline
1st String

(12-13-2018 08:32 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Side Show I said a couple years ago when Tech played Texas Tech that Mahomes was the best college QB I had ever seen, and he will be the next great NFL QB. At the time Mahommes wasnt even a first round projection pick.

Hah! I was all over Mahomes before, during and after we played Texas Tech. But ya didn't have to be a QB expert to see Mahomes could play.

As for strong arms, well, Drew Brees doesn't have, has never had, a strong arm and he does okay in the NFL. As did Bob Griese, Bart Starr, and other great QBs.
12-14-2018 07:38 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
(12-14-2018 07:38 AM)Tech80 Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 08:32 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  Side Show I said a couple years ago when Tech played Texas Tech that Mahomes was the best college QB I had ever seen, and he will be the next great NFL QB. At the time Mahommes wasnt even a first round projection pick.

Hah! I was all over Mahomes before, during and after we played Texas Tech. But ya didn't have to be a QB expert to see Mahomes could play.

As for strong arms, well, Drew Brees doesn't have, has never had, a strong arm and he does okay in the NFL. As did Bob Griese, Bart Starr, and other great QBs.

Drew Brees doesn't have a strong arm?? Are you serious? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
12-14-2018 07:57 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
You mean to tell me that the amazingly accurate JUCO transfers that our UTSA coaching staff played nearly the whole year didn't make the list? Shocked.
12-14-2018 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-13-2018 07:07 PM)Dawgxas Wrote:  

Quite possibly, but it is combination of scheme and lack of confidence. He has the tangibles, cannon arm, speed and size

Because we all know J'Mar Smith is the next John Elway, it's just Skip Holtz that's holding him back

07-coffee3
12-14-2018 11:23 AM
MGNation92 Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-14-2018 01:45 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(12-14-2018 12:34 AM)NorthTexan95 Wrote:  

system matters

I can see what the picture shows but what I cant find is the link to any article on it. And there's no link explaining what "adjusted completion % ". It's either a completions or its not.

Adjusted Completion Percentage = (Completions + Drops) / (Pass Attempts – Spikes – Throwaways – Batted Balls – Balls disrupted by a QB hit)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/ad...percentage
12-14-2018 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.