Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Status of Restaurant Sales Tax
Bookmark and Share
LouisianaEagleEdD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Status of Restaurant Sales Tax
Where is this currently as it relates to Reed Green?
12-08-2018 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

RE: Status of Restaurant Sales Tax
Assuming it’s not started that sucks due to the high school championships last weekend, graduation yesterday along with Christmas shopping in full swing this weekend and the next 2 as well it would’ve gotten a big boost from the restaurant side.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2018 10:15 AM by usm99.)
12-08-2018 10:15 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
(12-08-2018 10:15 AM)usm99 Wrote:  Assuming it’s not started that sucks due to the high school championships last weekend, graduation yesterday along with Christmas shopping in full swing this weekend and the next 2 as well it would’ve gotten a big boost from the restaurant side.

Do we ever have good timing on anything?
12-08-2018 11:03 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
http://www.wdam.com/story/37970845/gover...-increase/

Quote:HATTIESBURG, MS (WDAM) - The conversation over a 1-percent sales tax increase on hotels and restaurants in the Hub City will continue, when the time is right.

Governor Phil Bryant signed Senate Bill 3069 late last week. The bill, introduced by Senator Billy Hudson (R-District 45), gives the City of Hattiesburg the approval to add sales tax, proposed at 1 percent, on hotels, motels and restaurants.

"We brought that request for legislation forward to try and continue the conversation about what we could do to help Southern Miss and their desire to renovate Reed Green Coliseum, but also meet some needs in neighborhoods in our own park system," said Hattiesburg Mayor Toby Barker Monday.

Quote:Barker said the 1-percent sales tax increase would be split between the University of Southern Mississippi and the Hub City's needs, with a focus in parks and recreation.

With the signature, the city can move forward on a local referendum, that would have to be approved by 60-precent of the voters. But, right now, Barker said the focus is on improving the Hattiesburg Public School District.

"We're obviously happy the conversation will continue; however, I think everyone's focus right now is on the bond renewal election that's coming up," said Barker. "It will give our schools the funds needed to make some capitol improvements and secure those campuses, so that is where everyone's focus is right now."

this is from April....it took 1 month to push it through legislation and have it signed....

8 mos. later, still nothing.....

guess it takes time to move from one "right now" to another....
12-08-2018 11:31 AM
Advertisement

Storm Offline
Water Engineer

This seems like a no brainer and should already have been implemented. What si the actual hold up?Anyone know?
12-08-2018 04:49 PM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(12-08-2018 04:49 PM)Storm Wrote:  This seems like a no brainer and should already have been implemented. What si the actual hold up?Anyone know?

Sweet Peppers....
12-08-2018 05:00 PM
Storm Offline
Water Engineer

(12-08-2018 05:00 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(12-08-2018 04:49 PM)Storm Wrote:  This seems like a no brainer and should already have been implemented. What si the actual hold up?Anyone know?

Sweet Peppers....

Man, I STILL refuse to ever step foot in that place! They screwed us over beyond reason and I will NEVER give them a single penny of my money.
12-08-2018 05:03 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2018 05:03 PM)Storm Wrote:  

Sweet Peppers....

Man, I STILL refuse to ever step foot in that place! They screwed us over beyond reason and I will NEVER give them a single penny of my money.

You can't do that! Remember, everyone has sinned, so please forgive them and eat them outta restaurant and home.04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2018 05:27 PM by eaglebeaver.)
12-08-2018 05:27 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(12-08-2018 05:27 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Sweet Peppers....

You can't do that! Remember, everyone has sinned, so please forgive them and eat them outta restaurant and home.04-cheers

What I don't understand is that most of these businesses (including hotels) have been in Hattiesburg for a very long time. They've been through really good years for Southern Miss - in both basketball and football. It seems the numbers would be there to show the benefit of supporting Southern Miss in trying to improve. Have they not seen at least a small spike in revenue in the years the crowds were better?
12-09-2018 12:04 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2018 12:04 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  

Sweet Peppers....

What I don't understand is that most of these businesses (including hotels) have been in Hattiesburg for a very long time. They've been through really good years for Southern Miss - in both basketball and football. It seems the numbers would be there to show the benefit of supporting Southern Miss in trying to improve. Have they not seen at least a small spike in revenue in the years the crowds were better?

Without USM and the 2 hospitals, Hattiesburg would be a "Laurel", instead of a vibrant and growing metro area...

When I was a kid in the Dark Ages, Hattiesburg and Laurel had approximately the same population (28K for Laurel, 35K for Hattiesburg), but now Laurel has 18K and H'burg 48K (if you include Oak Grove and surrounding areas, the population is over 100K).

Laurel's population had long been based on oil and timber, as had the Hub City, but H'burg had USM and the hospitals to help diversify our economy when oil and timber dried up. But that diversity also means H'burg is ate up with OP and MSUcks folks, who enjoy what H'burg/OG has to offer, while sending their kids and their money to Oxpatch and Starkvegas.

Now, if I moved to Oxpatch...god forbid (I'd be the BDR of OP!04-cheers)... and owned a bidness, I would have to support OP, but still keep my allegiance to USM. Many businesses in the 'burg, however, have traditionally despised USM because a fully funded and empowered SoMiss COULD be perceived as a threat to our wonderful SEC neighbors.

So they pretend their businesses are successful because of their OP/MSUcks lineage, not because of the millions of $'s USM brings to the table.

The above is just the tip o' the iceberg, because a true and full examination would take days to type and read!04-rock
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2018 11:13 AM by eaglebeaver.)
12-09-2018 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(12-09-2018 11:10 AM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  
(12-09-2018 12:04 AM)Up2stuff Wrote:  
(12-08-2018 05:00 PM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Sweet Peppers....

Without USM and the 2 hospitals, Hattiesburg would be a "Laurel", instead of a vibrant and growing metro area...

When I was a kid in the Dark Ages, Hattiesburg and Laurel had approximately the same population (28K for Laurel, 35K for Hattiesburg), but now Laurel has 18K and H'burg 48K (if you include Oak Grove and surrounding areas, the population is over 100K).

Laurel's population had long been based on oil and timber, as had the Hub City, but H'burg had USM and the hospitals to help diversify our economy when oil and timber dried up. But that diversity also means H'burg is ate up with OP and MSUcks folks, who enjoy what H'burg/OG has to offer, while sending their kids and their money to Oxpatch and Starkvegas.

Now, if I moved to Oxpatch...god forbid (I'd be the BDR of OP!04-cheers)... and owned a bidness, I would have to support OP, but still keep my allegiance to USM. Many businesses in the 'burg, however, have traditionally despised USM because a fully funded and empowered SoMiss COULD be perceived as a threat to our wonderful SEC neighbors.

So they pretend their businesses are successful because of their OP/MSUcks lineage, not because of the millions of $'s USM brings to the table.

The above is just the tip o' the iceberg, because a true and full examination would take days to type and read!04-rock

Good assessment EB. I only lived in Hattiesburg for the 4 years I was at Southern Miss, so I'm not quite up to par on who owns what business. I guess it's just so hard to believe people are so shortsighted. How can you spend your entire life in a city and not want the best for your area. I grew up a Saints fan and still pull for them. But I also pull for the Titans, the Predators, and even Vandy. I have news for the Ole Miss and State fans - their success in the SEC has very little to do with how successful Southern Miss is in CUSA or any other conference they're lucky enough to land. Their success is not limited by our success - their success is limited by the fact that they are in a conference with Alabama, LSU, Auburn - to name a few. They will never be allowed to dominate or even compete at a high level for a very long time. If that happens, you can count on an investigation by the NCAA to put them back in their place. All they have to do to realize this is count the number of SEC championships each has won since Southern Miss has become Division 1A. Did they win more in our bad years than in our good years? Me thinks not. 04-cheers
12-09-2018 12:12 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
So are they just planning on never approving it? We need to figure out how to get some pressure on them if possible.
12-09-2018 10:45 PM
stinkfist Offline

(12-09-2018 10:45 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  So are they just planning on never approving it? We need to figure out how to get some pressure on them if possible.

sounds like a question for toby wan be slowbee and Bennett...does the 'burg still have journalists that have the ability to follow up on stories of importance????

I doubt a bbs or the 400 fans going to games are going to have much clout....

this is a universiTTTy/ciTTTy issue....
12-10-2018 08:24 AM
Advertisement

usm99 Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2018 10:45 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  So are they just planning on never approving it? We need to figure out how to get some pressure on them if possible.

Sounds like the coliseum "renderings/renovation" plans........talk about it and how great it will be but then nothing ever happens. Has TTT written all over it
12-10-2018 10:19 AM
stinkfist Offline

(12-10-2018 10:19 AM)usm99 Wrote:  

Sounds like the coliseum "renderings/renovation" plans........talk about it and how great it will be but then nothing ever happens. Has TTT written all over it

but some things HAVE happened....all it takes from here is a special ballot and 60%
to vote yea ...

this shiTTT ain't fk'n rocket science...
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2018 11:41 AM by stinkfist.)
12-10-2018 11:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.