RE: Geoff Collins hired as GT Head Coach - Official Now
wonder how many of the staff get poached from Temple. Next man up
12-07-2018 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wylioats Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Rumor here in Memphis is, Mike Norvell is one of the hot prospects along with the coach (can't recall his name) at North Dakota State for the Kansas State job.
12-07-2018 11:05 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(12-07-2018 11:05 AM)wylioats Wrote:  Rumor here in Memphis is, Mike Norvell is one of the hot prospects along with the coach (can't recall his name) at North Dakota State for the Kansas State job.

Kansas State would be a bad job to take. He needs to wait for something better.
12-07-2018 11:09 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Solid hire. Southern boy going home where he has coaching experiences at the school he has been hired at and in an area where he has also coached in the SEC at Florida and Mississippi State. He should be able to establish some solid recruiting pipe lines in Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi where he coached and in the Carolinas where he played (Western Carolina). Tough loss for Temple though where he as continued to keep the program successful after Rhule left for Baylor. Good luck on finding another successful coach and remaining successful since Al Golden turned the program around in Philly. 04-cheers
12-07-2018 11:14 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The P5 likes looking down their nose on the AAC.

But when they need a coach... where do they come?
12-07-2018 11:14 AM
Advertisement

No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Tech is a hard place to win at. Academics are strenuous. UGA is the only program that matters to most college football fans in Georgia and Atlanta... I like Collins and wish him well but this has fail written all over it.
12-07-2018 11:16 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(12-07-2018 11:16 AM)No Bull Wrote:  Tech is a hard place to win at. Academics are strenuous. UGA is the only program that matters to most college football fans in Georgia and Atlanta... I like Collins and wish him well but this has fail written all over it.

University of Georgia is the only D-1 program in the state. Everyone else plays in the minor leagues.
12-07-2018 11:17 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(12-07-2018 11:14 AM)panite Wrote:  Solid hire. Southern boy going home where he has coaching experiences at the school he has been hired at and in an area where he has also coached in the SEC at Florida and Mississippi State. He should be able to establish some solid recruiting pipe lines in Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi where he coached and in the Carolinas where he played (Western Carolina). Tough loss for Temple though where he as continued to keep the program successful after Rhule left for Baylor. Good luck on finding another successful coach and remaining successful since Al Golden turned the program around in Philly. 04-cheers

Believe that Temple is a very desirable for the up and coming coaches. Good conference, good administrative support, good pay. Obviously ned a recruiter who can find diamonds in the rough and develop the talent.
12-07-2018 11:51 AM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
I'd take a look at Matt Canada. He did a great job at Maryland considering the Jordan McNair tragedy and not having a QB who could throw the ball and FB/TE to block ahead of great HBs Maryland has.
12-07-2018 12:04 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
(12-07-2018 12:04 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I'd take a look at Matt Canada. He did a great job at Maryland considering the Jordan McNair tragedy and not having a QB who could throw the ball and FB/TE to block ahead of great HBs Maryland has.

Agreed and I’m sure he’s been contacted. In addition to my post above about the desirability of the Temple job: QB Russo has two years of eligibility; Isiah Wright has one year; young solid OL; deep RB and DL core. A good coach can contend for the East and the American next two years.
12-07-2018 12:14 PM
Advertisement

TheOrigamiJimmyChin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: My wife
(12-07-2018 11:17 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 11:16 AM)No Bull Wrote:  Tech is a hard place to win at. Academics are strenuous. UGA is the only program that matters to most college football fans in Georgia and Atlanta... I like Collins and wish him well but this has fail written all over it.

University of Georgia is the only D-1 program in the state. Everyone else plays in the minor leagues.

Is that in terms of player salaries?
12-07-2018 01:33 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(12-07-2018 11:09 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 11:05 AM)wylioats Wrote:  Rumor here in Memphis is, Mike Norvell is one of the hot prospects along with the coach (can't recall his name) at North Dakota State for the Kansas State job.

Honestly, if I were him I would take it. It is a lot more money for his family and if he turns the program around, he can really land a high profile job.

The concern is we do not know if Memphis can sustain their success. You do not gamble in a situation like this. We know Memphis' history, not a flame, but it is what it is. He is going against history. Have a bad season or two and he is behind the 8 ball.
12-07-2018 01:47 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Good Hire from GT.

They got someone from the O'Leary tree and he's going to bring back some of the old school Georgia Tech.

He's a great recruiter and that really what GT needed.

I am happy for Collins. Hopefully he will schedule UCF as OOC game in the near future.

Wonder who Temple is going to take next...
12-07-2018 01:55 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(12-07-2018 01:47 PM)otown Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 11:09 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Honestly, if I were him I would take it. It is a lot more money for his family and if he turns the program around, he can really land a high profile job.

The concern is we do not know if Memphis can sustain their success. You do not gamble in a situation like this. We know Memphis' history, not a flame, but it is what it is. He is going against history. Have a bad season or two and he is behind the 8 ball.

Memphis has had 5 straight winning seasons... back to back western division titles.
12-07-2018 02:20 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
The AAC loses at least one coach per year.
12-07-2018 02:24 PM
Advertisement

CougarPoop Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The DOW!!!
(12-07-2018 11:51 AM)vick mike Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 11:14 AM)panite Wrote:  Solid hire. Southern boy going home where he has coaching experiences at the school he has been hired at and in an area where he has also coached in the SEC at Florida and Mississippi State. He should be able to establish some solid recruiting pipe lines in Georgia, Florida, and Mississippi where he coached and in the Carolinas where he played (Western Carolina). Tough loss for Temple though where he as continued to keep the program successful after Rhule left for Baylor. Good luck on finding another successful coach and remaining successful since Al Golden turned the program around in Philly. 04-cheers

Believe that Temple is a very desirable for the up and coming coaches. Good conference, good administrative support, good pay. Obviously ned a recruiter who can find diamonds in the rough and develop the talent.

Still having nightmares of Rock Armstead. Temple has had an impressive run in the AAC. Definitely top tier. Need to get hoops back on track.
12-07-2018 02:48 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
For the sake of both our Temple brethren and our conference...I hope TU administration doesn't go the same way UC's did when we lost a few up and comers. We're still scratching the **** off of the program 6 years later.
12-07-2018 02:56 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(12-07-2018 12:14 PM)vick mike Wrote:  
(12-07-2018 12:04 PM)NJ2MDTerp Wrote:  I'd take a look at Matt Canada. He did a great job at Maryland considering the Jordan McNair tragedy and not having a QB who could throw the ball and FB/TE to block ahead of great HBs Maryland has.

Agreed and I’m sure he’s been contacted. In addition to my post above about the desirability of the Temple job: QB Russo has two years of eligibility; Isiah Wright has one year; young solid OL; deep RB and DL core. A good coach can contend for the East and the American next two years.
If you guys hire Matt Canada, you're offense is gonna light up the Terps like a roman candle when we play each other next year. For us, it'll be worse than this year's loss.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 03:29 PM by NJ2MDTerp.)
12-07-2018 03:28 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(12-07-2018 11:14 AM)Def Berkkat Wrote:  The P5 likes looking down their nose on the AAC.

But when they need a coach... where do they come?

The MAC too...
12-07-2018 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.