Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How Valuable is Nathan Knight: A Statistical Analysis
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
How Valuable is Nathan Knight: A Statistical Analysis
We thought we'd break out our Excel skills for this one; essentially, we wanted to see if Knight’s game-by-game foul totals affected his minutes played, average point totals, and the team’s winning percentage.

Our basic theories were as follows:

1. Knight averages less minutes per game when he finishes a contest with more fouls.
2. Knight averages less points per game when he finishes a contest with more fouls.
3. The more fouls that Knight finishes a game with, the less of a chance W&M has to win.

Check out the analysis (complete with graphs!) below. Some interesting stuff.

Link: https://wmsportsblog.com/2018/12/06/how-...ght-to-wm/
12-06-2018 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
RE: How Valuable is Nathan Knight: A Statistical Analysis
Would be nice to see this redone with just his Sophomore and junior seasons. As a freshman he split time with Whitman at the 5. Whether Nathan was in foul trouble or not that season, his minutes were dictated somewhat by how Jack was playing. So, for around 40 percent of the games you are reporting on, foul trouble was not the determining factor in Nathan's minutes.
12-07-2018 08:34 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2018 08:34 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  Would be nice to see this redone with just his Sophomore and junior seasons. As a freshman he split time with Whitman at the 5. Whether Nathan was in foul trouble or not that season, his minutes were dictated somewhat by how Jack was playing. So, for around 40 percent of the games you are reporting on, foul trouble was not the determining factor in Nathan's minutes.

Definitely -- I was interested myself. After taking out Knight's freshman year stats, his individual numbers change slightly (most notably in PPG) from those listed in the article, but W&M's overall winning percentage difference remains almost exactly the same.

Minutes Played Per Game (Sophomore & Junior Year)
With 4/5 Fouls - 25.61
With 3 Fouls - 25.16
With Less than 3 Fouls - 30.27

Points Per Game (Sophomore & Junior Year)
With 4/5 Fouls - 16.11
With 3 Fouls - 14.63
With Less than 3 Fouls - 20.91

W&M Winning PCT
With 4/5 Fouls - 0.444
With 3 or less Fouls - 0.633
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 11:59 AM by WMSportsBlog.)
12-07-2018 11:54 AM
Advertisement

ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
Great analysis - and this is pretty telling. The guy needs to avoid foul trouble and stay on the floor. He scores ~5 points more and most importantly the team win percentage jumps substantially when he has limited fouls. I really want to see his turn into beast mode in conference play.
12-07-2018 12:45 PM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(12-07-2018 12:45 PM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  Great analysis - and this is pretty telling. The guy needs to avoid foul trouble and stay on the floor. He scores ~5 points more and most importantly the team win percentage jumps substantially when he has limited fouls. I really want to see his turn into beast mode in conference play.

100%. We're planning to conduct the same analysis toward the second half of the season, once we get more data for this year! (and we'll exclude his freshman year data then)

Will be interesting to see if/how it changes.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2018 01:38 PM by WMSportsBlog.)
12-07-2018 01:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.