Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Basketball Coachig Carousel
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
College Basketball Coachig Carousel
Just got it's 1st probable big name as a possible replacement....

Bulls just fired Fred Hoiberg... Would think if you're a major college program- he'll be an immediate candidate. 115-56 in his 5 years- 4 NCAA appearances at Iowa St.
12-03-2018 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobtheAggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: College Basketball Coachig Carousel
When I saw the title, I thought that there was already a coach fired. Hoiberg did a really good job at ISU.
12-03-2018 10:23 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
He was doing a great job tanking for the Bulls this year too. Honestly, he never should have left ISU/college (why resign as "Mayor of Ames" to sweep trash in Chicago?), and as a Bulls fan, I thought it was a bad hire off the bat. I never got the feeling his system would work in the Pros.
12-03-2018 10:44 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Already hottest name. A bunch of coaches just got the heat turned up
12-03-2018 11:07 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
As a Bulls fan, it always appeared that Hoiberg was overmatched by the job of being an NBA Head Coach. He always appeared to have conflict with players, and never really developed cohesion offensively or defensively. While it seemed that he was able to coach individual skills, he did absolutely nothing to integrate the players into a system that resembled a team. Even after 3 years, his decision-making was poor and was not improving. His rotations were often baffling (Markkanen came off the bench last night in his first game).

His program model at ISU was particularly interesting, especially considering he relied so heavily on transfers to field competitive teams. I would be shocked to see Hoiberg leave the Midwest. He also could be in line to take over the Timberwolves if they move on from Tom Thibodeau.
12-03-2018 11:08 AM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(12-03-2018 11:08 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  As a Bulls fan, it always appeared that Hoiberg was overmatched by the job of being an NBA Head Coach. He always appeared to have conflict with players, and never really developed cohesion offensively or defensively. While it seemed that he was able to coach individual skills, he did absolutely nothing to integrate the players into a system that resembled a team. Even after 3 years, his decision-making was poor and was not improving. His rotations were often baffling (Markkanen came off the bench last night in his first game).

His program model at ISU was particularly interesting, especially considering he relied so heavily on transfers to field competitive teams. I would be shocked to see Hoiberg leave the Midwest. He also could be in line to take over the Timberwolves if they move on from Tom Thibodeau.

Interesting. So you think he will stay in NBA rather than a potential P5/NCAA job? As you said before, his decision-making and ability to connect with players was lacking, but he seems to connect well to college kids; ISU players seemed to love him, and obviously the fans did too. Why wouldn't he go back to school, so to speak?
12-03-2018 11:20 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(12-03-2018 11:20 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 11:08 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  As a Bulls fan, it always appeared that Hoiberg was overmatched by the job of being an NBA Head Coach. He always appeared to have conflict with players, and never really developed cohesion offensively or defensively. While it seemed that he was able to coach individual skills, he did absolutely nothing to integrate the players into a system that resembled a team. Even after 3 years, his decision-making was poor and was not improving. His rotations were often baffling (Markkanen came off the bench last night in his first game).

Interesting. So you think he will stay in NBA rather than a potential P5/NCAA job? As you said before, his decision-making and ability to connect with players was lacking, but he seems to connect well to college kids; ISU players seemed to love him, and obviously the fans did too. Why wouldn't he go back to school, so to speak?

I think if the Timberwolves offered him, that would be his preference, yes. Glen Taylor is a huge fan of his. Hoiberg, much like Stevens, always seemed "turned off" but the notion of recruiting. Hoiberg has a special connection to ISU. It's is alma mater and his family (both his and his wife's) still live in Ames. Unless Prohm makes a move away from ISU, I have a hard time envisioning Hoiberg at any other school.

Having said all of that, I still think he can be a successful NBA coach. The Bulls FO did him no favors with the roster, and all of the injuries the team had this season was certainly not his fault. When he was hired, the organization praised his leadership skills and his ability to play at a faster pace, yet were steadfast in his defense in saying he was "still learning and developing as a head coach", which is incredibly interesting, considering he was hired to take over a competitive top-half Eastern Conference squad. Why would you hire someone that "needed to learn and grown as a head coach" if you expected him to compete with the roster he had in his first year? In his first year, the team had numerous aging and/or un-athletic veterans in Dunleavy, Gasol, McDermott, Mirotic and Noah that were all slow. His second year, the team finally traded Rose in order to get younger, but they brought back Robin Lopez and then signed Dwayne Wade (so much for getting younger and more athletic). Last year, they fully committed to the rebuilding process, yet gave away a 2nd round pick for cash (which turned out to be Jordan Bell), had Bobby Portis fight Mirotic and lost LaVine for half the season recovering from ACL surgery. This year, they have been hammered by injuries to Markkanen and Dunn, but they never had Hoiberg be able to coach the team at full strength.

Bottom line, the Bulls' FO never went full rebuild and never got enough talent to challenge for a top spot in the East. That is hardly on Hoiberg.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 11:51 AM by GoldenWarrior11.)
12-03-2018 11:48 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(12-03-2018 11:48 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 11:20 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  

I think if the Timberwolves offered him, that would be his preference, yes. Glen Taylor is a huge fan of his. Hoiberg, much like Stevens, always seemed "turned off" but the notion of recruiting. Hoiberg has a special connection to ISU. It's is alma mater and his family (both his and his wife's) still live in Ames. Unless Prohm makes a move away from ISU, I have a hard time envisioning Hoiberg at any other school.

Having said all of that, I still think he can be a successful NBA coach. The Bulls FO did him no favors with the roster, and all of the injuries the team had this season was certainly not his fault. When he was hired, the organization praised his leadership skills and his ability to play at a faster pace, yet were steadfast in his defense in saying he was "still learning and developing as a head coach", which is incredibly interesting, considering he was hired to take over a competitive top-half Eastern Conference squad. Why would you hire someone that "needed to learn and grown as a head coach" if you expected him to compete with the roster he had in his first year? In his first year, the team had numerous aging and/or un-athletic veterans in Dunleavy, Gasol, McDermott, Mirotic and Noah that were all slow. His second year, the team finally traded Rose in order to get younger, but they brought back Robin Lopez and then signed Dwayne Wade (so much for getting younger and more athletic). Last year, they fully committed to the rebuilding process, yet gave away a 2nd round pick for cash (which turned out to be Jordan Bell), had Bobby Portis fight Mirotic and lost LaVine for half the season recovering from ACL surgery. This year, they have been hammered by injuries to Markkanen and Dunn, but they never had Hoiberg be able to coach the team at full strength.

Bottom line, the Bulls' FO never went full rebuild and never got enough talent to challenge for a top spot in the East. That is hardly on Hoiberg.

I agree the Bulls' issues are more than just coaching; the moves this team has made are baffling to say the least (I still can't get over selling Bell 03-banghead ), and show a lack of direction more than a lack of suitable bench leadership. Maybe he will be better in Minnesota, but I feel like he would need solid coordinators to help piece things together.
12-03-2018 02:29 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(12-03-2018 10:03 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Just got it's 1st probable big name as a possible replacement....

Bulls just fired Fred Hoiberg... Would think if you're a major college program- he'll be an immediate candidate. 115-56 in his 5 years- 4 NCAA appearances at Iowa St.

The Mayor is voted out. This really wasn't a great year for red office holders.
12-03-2018 05:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.