Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Theoretical Exercise: P4 without the Big Ten
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Let's say after repeatedly being left out of the playoffs, Big Ten schools start looking around at other options.

The Pac 12 seems like an unlikely ally, but they actually strike first and go for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. The Pac 16 uses the relatively compact footprint of the incoming members to make travel as manageable as possible.

The SEC lands the kill shot with Michigan and Ohio State.

Maryland joins the ACC, and Notre Dame sees the writing on the wall. The Irish finally join in football.

The Big 12 then invites Michigan State, Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, and Rutgers.

SEC North - Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan
SEC East - Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee
SEC South - Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State
SEC West - Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt

ACC Atlantic - Louisville, Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse
ACC East - Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Miami, Boston College
ACC Central - North Carolina, Duke, NC State, Wake Forest
ACC Coastal - Virginia, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Maryland

Big 16 South - Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor
Big 16 West - Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State
Big 16 North - Nebraska, Iowa State, Northwestern, Purdue
Big 16 East - Michigan State, Penn State, West Virginia, Rutgers

The Pac 16 then sees Iowa left without a home, and then offers the Hawkeyes a spot, along with a surprising choice for #18: Rice.

Pac 18 East - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Rice
Pac 18 North - Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, California
Pac 18 South - Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, UCLA, Southern California

The Pac 18 cites being shut out of Texas in previous expansion attempts, as well as Rice's AAU status, and a desire to have a school in the East Division capable of hosting baseball games early in the season.
12-02-2018 01:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Theoretical Exercise: P4 without the Big Ten
Your theory is that the Big Ten will be mortally wounded by the loss of Wisconsin plus three of the conference's five least valuable schools???

SMH.
12-02-2018 01:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-02-2018 01:00 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Let's say after repeatedly being left out of the playoffs, Big Ten schools start looking around at other options.

The Pac 12 seems like an unlikely ally, but they actually strike first and go for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. The Pac 16 uses the relatively compact footprint of the incoming members to make travel as manageable as possible.

Maryland joins the ACC, and Notre Dame sees the writing on the wall. The Irish finally join in football.

The Big 12 then invites Michigan State, Penn State, Northwestern, Purdue, Nebraska, and Rutgers.

The Pac 16 then sees Iowa left without a home, and then offers the Hawkeyes a spot, along with a surprising choice for #18: Rice.

Pac 18 North - Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, California
Pac 18 South - Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, UCLA, Southern California

The Pac 18 cites being shut out of Texas in previous expansion attempts, as well as Rice's AAU status, and a desire to have a school in the East Division capable of hosting baseball games early in the season.

I'll give you an A for originality. In all my time on this board nobody that I can remember has posted a realignment thread in which the scenario is the break up and subdivision of the Big 10.

But that begs the question as to why no one has ever suggested it?
12-02-2018 01:51 AM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Illinois, Purdue and Indiana would be highly-valued basketball programs for the Big 12. Northwestern or Penn State would be sought after by the ACC. It would depend on whether Penn State would go ACC or Big 12. If Big 12 then Rutgers goes with them for additional Eastern access. You could possibly swing Michigan State and Northwestern to the ACC to make Notre Dame more comfortable and reduce any pressure on them to join in full. I agree that the SEC would go after the big dogs in Michigan and Ohio State.

Nebraska might find the PAC more comfortable than the XII, rejoining their old foes in Colorado. Put them in as well as Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota and you'd have a conference that stretches from Los Angeles all the way to Milwaukee and three time zones, all of them acceptable to the academic eggheads with maybe turning up their noses on UNL but allowing them in as a way of easing in three clearly solid academic schools.

Big 16

Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Kansas

Iowa State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana

Penn State, West Virginia, Rutgers, Maryland

ACC

Michigan State, Northwestern, Louisville, Pitt

Syracuse, Boston College, Miami, Virginia Tech

Clemson, Florida State, Wake Forest, NC State

UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Virginia

PAC 16

Washington State, Washington, Oregon State, Oregon

Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA

Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State

Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

SEC

Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina

Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio State, Vanderbilt

Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State

Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M, LSU

In terms of AAU, the PAC would become the leader with eleven institutions, followed by the Big 16 with nine, the ACC with seven and the SEC with six. Penn State might feel more comfortable exchanging Ohio State and Michigan for Texas and Oklahoma while still having the ability to play teams within driving distance. They wouldn't have to play second-fiddle to the Chapel Hell Gang or Tallahassee and they wouldn't have to feel like they're second-class citizens to Notre Dame. Therefore I think the XII would have a real shot at getting them.

As to why this might not happen: $$$ and habits. Parceling out Big Ten programs would break a lot of ingrained habits in the region. Imagine Michigan no longer playing Michigan State or Wisconsin for years to come. A lot of traditions ended when the Big 12 lost four programs and people still lament that fact. For the Big Ten region, playing against Ohio State or Michigan at home is a guaranteed ticket. This would be like a typhoon has hit the Midwest.

Nothing is ever certain, which is why I don't mind participating in this exercise. I have no better clue what is going to happen than the average poster here. It's a fascinating topic, for sure, being that it goes against the general narrative here and elsewhere.
12-02-2018 03:39 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-02-2018 01:00 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  Let's say after repeatedly being left out of the playoffs, Big Ten schools start looking around at other options.

Whatever you're smoking, I want some of it.
12-02-2018 08:48 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-02-2018 01:51 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

I'll give you an A for originality. In all my time on this board nobody that I can remember has posted a realignment thread in which the scenario is the break up and subdivision of the Big 10.

But that begs the question as to why no one has ever suggested it?

Do you suppose it has something to do with money?
12-02-2018 08:50 AM
Advertisement

BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND

First question is why would those B1G schools looks to join up with the conference that has been left out more then THEY have?

Second, What's the fascination with Rice? Yes, a great academic school, but I've never known them to be a ratings "needle mover" in ANY sports.

I've seen some fascinating realignment scenarios, but there's no shot the B1G ever is the first go go.
12-02-2018 11:15 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(12-02-2018 01:51 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I'll give you an A for originality. In all my time on this board nobody that I can remember has posted a realignment thread in which the scenario is the break up and subdivision of the Big 10.

I could see a superconference scenario in which the Big Ten breaks up someday, but it would be much different. It would be something driven by huge amounts of money, such as a superconference that puts together the most valuable football programs of the Big Ten and SEC.

Even that is unlikely because it would have the same problem noted many times before, that teams used to winning 9-plus games almost every season would lose a lot more games, due to playing each other too often and losing most of their Indiana/Vanderbilt type of conference games.
12-02-2018 01:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-02-2018 01:15 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(12-02-2018 01:51 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I'll give you an A for originality. In all my time on this board nobody that I can remember has posted a realignment thread in which the scenario is the break up and subdivision of the Big 10.

I could see a superconference scenario in which the Big Ten breaks up someday, but it would be much different. It would be something driven by huge amounts of money, such as a superconference that puts together the most valuable football programs of the Big Ten and SEC.

Even that is unlikely because it would have the same problem noted many times before, that teams used to winning 9-plus games almost every season would lose a lot more games, due to playing each other too often and losing most of their Indiana/Vanderbilt type of conference games.

Yeah, I don't think you can consolidate beyond 48 and keep some semblance of a normal bell curve. And when you look at that 64 isn't much different and allows for more ups and downs without affecting that bell curve much.
12-02-2018 01:27 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Setting aside the sheer implausibility of the scenario, here's my take on how it could play out. I see the western quartet of Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin as the ones to defect to the Pac. The SEC of course gets the pick of the litter, scoring Michigan and Ohio State. Penn State logically joins the ACC, which finally gets ND to sign up in full. (There's no way Maryland would rejoin the ACC, given the acrimony over their departure.) The rest of the Big Ten is absorbed by the Big 12, with the exception of one team: Purdue is the odd man out. Sad face for Boilermaker fans.

============

Pac-16
East: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin
North: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
South: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah
West: California, Stanford, UCLA, USC

============

School: Protected crossover, Alternate crossover

ACC

East
Boston College: Syracuse, NC State
Florida State: Clemson, Penn State
Miami-FL: Georgia Tech, Louisville
Notre Dame: Pittsburgh, North Carolina

North
Syracuse: Boston College, Wake Forest
Penn State: Virginia Tech, Florida State
Louisville: Virginia, Miami-FL
Pittsburgh: Notre Dame, Duke

South
NC State: Wake Forest, Boston College
Virginia Tech: Penn State, Clemson
Virginia: Louisville, Georgia Tech
North Carolina: Duke, Notre Dame

West
Wake Forest: NC State, Syracuse
Clemson: Florida State, Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech: Miami-FL, Virginia
Duke: North Carolina, Pittsburgh

------------

Big 16

East
Maryland: Indiana, Baylor
Michigan State: Northwestern, Oklahoma
Rutgers: Illinois, Kansas
West Virginia: Iowa State, TCU

North
Indiana: Maryland, Oklahoma State
Northwestern: Michigan State, Texas
Illinois: Rutgers, Texas Tech
Iowa State: West Virginia, Kansas State

South
Baylor: Oklahoma State, Maryland
Texas: Oklahoma, Northwestern
Texas Tech: Kansas, Illinois
TCU: Kansas State, West Virginia

West
Oklahoma State: Baylor, Indiana
Oklahoma: Texas, Michigan State
Kansas: Texas Tech, Rutgers
Kansas State: TCU, Iowa State

------------

SEC

East
Florida: Ohio State, LSU
Georgia: Auburn, Michigan
Kentucky: Tennessee, Arkansas
South Carolina: Missouri, Ole Miss

North
Ohio State: Florida, Alabama
Michigan: Mississippi State, Georgia
Arkansas: Texas A&M, Kentucky
Missouri: South Carolina, Vanderbilt

South
Alabama: LSU, Ohio State
Auburn: Georgia, Mississippi State
Tennessee: Kentucky, Texas A&M
Vanderbilt: Ole Miss, Missouri

West
LSU: Alabama, Florida
Mississippi State: Michigan, Auburn
Texas A&M: Arkansas, Tennessee
Ole Miss: Vanderbilt, South Carolina

============

The ACC, Big 16, and SEC have 8-game schedules, with the 4-team pods rotating between two 8-team divisions in a 3-year cycle. Each year, a team plays its division plus 1 interdivision crossover. Each team has a protected crossover for the 2 years out of 3 in which they're not in the same division, as well as an alternate crossover for the 1 year they share a division with the protected crossover. It takes 3 years to play every team once and 6 years to play every team home and away. In that 6-year time span, a team plays their division mates and protected crossover 6 times, their alternate crossover 4 times, and all other teams twice.

The Pac-16 has a 9-game conference schedule with no protected crossovers. Their pods also cycle between divisions, but the North and South never share a division, nor do the East and West. For two years, there are Northeast and Southwest Divisions, and for the next two years, there are Northwest and Southeast Divisions. The Pac-16 has a skewed schedule wherein the 2 interdivision crossovers are against a team in each of the 2 pods that constitute the other division. Consequently, in an 8-year span, a team plays each of its pod mates 8 times, each team in the "opposite" pod (North vs. South, East vs. West) twice, and each team in the other 2 pods an average of 5 times (either 4 or 6). This allows the North and South schools greater access to California than they would have had with a balanced schedule structure (i.e., wherein the 2 interdivision crossovers are only against teams in the "opposite" pod).
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 10:30 AM by Nerdlinger.)
12-02-2018 01:33 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(12-02-2018 08:48 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Whatever you're smoking, I want some of it.

I’d like the commissioners and presidents to have some, too.

Looks good to us. Where do we sign?

I hesitate to even quibble about the division we’re in... but we’ll take it in a heartbeat.
12-03-2018 09:46 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I personally like the thought of no Big Ten. College athletics would be better for it. The end of boring football and even more boring basketball. Money can buy lots of things but it can’t keep you from being bored to death watching The Big Ten.
12-03-2018 09:57 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If the goal is 4x16 with the dissolution of the B1G (assuming no other conferences lose schools):

PAC - Geography will matter quite a bit while maintaining B1G West rivalries.
West: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, California, Stanford, USC, UCLA
East: Arizona, Arizona St, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

ACC - History and rivalries will play a role.
Atlantic: Miami, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College
Coastal: Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia

SEC - Brand names.
West: Texas A&M, Missouri, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn
East: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio St

XVI - The rest.
South: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St
North: Iowa St, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan St, Penn St, West Virginia

I debated Michigan/Ohio St and Michigan St/Penn St with the XII/SEC but ultimately landed on the above.

Perhaps, more reasonable, Maryland to XVI and Penn St to ACC.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 12:18 PM by BePcr07.)
12-03-2018 12:16 PM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
(12-03-2018 09:57 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I personally like the thought of no Big Ten. College athletics would be better for it. The end of boring football and even more boring basketball. Money can buy lots of things but it can’t keep you from being bored to death watching The Big Ten.

If by boring you mean NFL ready I guess you're right.....

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...fl-rosters

Only the SEC has more.

Some people like traditional football. If you like the X-Box version played by some, that's fine, but some people still value fundamentals.
12-03-2018 12:23 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
As long as we're doing such theoretical exercises, here's one even more implausible than a P4 without the Big Ten: a P4 without the SEC!

============

Big Ten
East: Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue
North: Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois
South: Maryland, Georgia, Florida, Rutgers
West: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota

------------

Pac-16
East: Iowa State, Missouri, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
North: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
South: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah
West: California, Stanford, UCLA, USC

============

School: Protected crossover, Alternate crossover

ACC

East
Boston College: Syracuse, NC State
Florida State: Clemson, Louisville
Miami-FL: Georgia Tech, Kentucky
Notre Dame: Pittsburgh, North Carolina

North
Syracuse: Boston College, Wake Forest
Louisville: Virginia Tech, Florida State
Kentucky: Virginia, Miami-FL
Pittsburgh: Notre Dame, Duke

South
NC State: Wake Forest, Boston College
Virginia Tech: Louisville, Clemson
Virginia: Kentucky, Georgia Tech
North Carolina: Duke, Notre Dame

West
Wake Forest: NC State, Syracuse
Clemson: Florida State, Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech: Miami-FL, Virginia
Duke: North Carolina, Pittsburgh

------------

Big 16

East
Arkansas: Alabama, Texas
Mississippi State: Auburn, Baylor
South Carolina: LSU, Oklahoma State
West Virginia: Tennessee, Kansas

North
Oklahoma: Texas, Alabama
Kansas State: Baylor, Auburn
Oklahoma State: TCU, South Carolina
Kansas: Texas Tech, West Virginia

South
Alabama: Arkansas, Oklahoma
Auburn: Mississippi State, Kansas State
LSU: South Carolina, TCU
Tennessee: West Virginia, Texas Tech

West
Texas: Oklahoma, Arkansas
Baylor: Kansas State, Mississippi State
TCU: Oklahoma State, LSU
Texas Tech: Kansas, Tennessee

============

Ole Miss is the odd man out in this scenario. Vanderbilt only survives as a power conference team due to the Pac's desire for schools with good academics. Iowa State defects from the Big 12 to the Pac because no other SEC schools besides Mizzou, TAMU, and Vandy would become the Pac's 16th school, and the Big 16 is anything but stable in the long term.

The schedule structures for the ACC, Big 16, and Pac-16 are the same as for those conferences in my previous scenario.

The Big Ten's pods rotate between two 8-team divisions in a 3-year cycle like the ACC and Big 16. However, the Big Ten has a 9-game conference schedule, and every team has a protected crossover in each of the other 3 pods, with no alternate crossover required. Teams are listed in the same order as their protected crossovers (e.g., Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, and Wisconsin all play each other every year). It takes 3 years to play all schools in the conference at least once and 6 to play all at least twice (home and away).
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2018 04:34 PM by Nerdlinger.)
12-03-2018 04:31 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
I could see a scenario where the two Michigans go out together, to help preserve their rivalry. This would be made possible when Vanderbilt, seeing that they'd be swamped with football big dogs in perpetuity, decides to move on and jump to the ACC. Penn State sees no other alternative than to follow Vandy there. The XII would pick up the rest, as they're all academic schools that presidents like and located in high population areas, which the XII is seriously lacking. People, especially tee shirt fans, would again be surprised by where the programs would go in the event of a dissolution. Think like a president, as Frank the Tank would constantly say.

SEC

Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Kentucky

Missouri
Texas A&M
Arkansas
LSU

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State

Tennessee
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina

ACC

Penn State
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt

Louisville
Virginia Tech
Vanderbilt
Miami

Florida State
Clemson
NC State
Wake Forest

UNC
Duke
Virginia
Georgia Tech

XVI

West Virginia
Rutgers
Maryland
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa State
Purdue

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

PAC

OSU
WSU
UW
UO

Stanford
Cal
USC
UCLA

UA
ASU
UU
CU

UNL
UW-M
UMinn
Iowa

AAU count sees no change from my first scenario. SEC gains three and loses one. ACC gains two. PAC gains three and XII gains six.
12-03-2018 07:05 PM
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
In some ways, I could see the SEC disbanding being somewhat plausible, especially if you get a situation where one or two teams goes on what is a essentially a grwnearional run - the rest of the league might not be OK with Alabama and Georgia pulling down 15-20 straight titles between them.

Presumably if Alabama and Georgia are left out to dry, I think the Big 12 takes six schools to build a bridge to West Viriginia (Kentucky, Mississippi State, Tennessee, South Carolina, Arkansas, and LSU). The ACC nabs Auburn, and possibly Vanderbilt if Notre Dame doesn’t commit fully. The Big 10 adds Missouri and Texas A&M. Florida and Ole Miss become major independents, and remain a 4-team conference for other sports.
12-03-2018 07:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(12-03-2018 07:05 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  Think like a president, as Frank the Tank would constantly say.

@Frankie is sooo right! This will be huuge!! We are moving all of the games to Sundays to go head-to-head with the lame NFL. They’re so Overrated!!! US Major Collegiate Assoc #USMCA
12-03-2018 10:24 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(12-03-2018 12:23 PM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(12-03-2018 09:57 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I personally like the thought of no Big Ten. College athletics would be better for it. The end of boring football and even more boring basketball. Money can buy lots of things but it can’t keep you from being bored to death watching The Big Ten.

If by boring you mean NFL ready I guess you're right.....

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic...fl-rosters

Only the SEC has more.

Some people like traditional football. If you like the X-Box version played by some, that's fine, but some people still value fundamentals.

Well I guess you got to dance with who brung ya....
12-04-2018 07:21 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Well we already have a CFP without the Big Ten for 2 straight years so...
07-coffee3
12-06-2018 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.