Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Losing interest in college football
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
Watching gameday has reinforced this feeling. The gameday crew has noticeably left UCF out of the conversation. The idea that UCF has not played a tough enough schedule for consideration does not pass the smell test. UCf has shown enough offense to stack up with Oklahoma and Ohio state. All The Ohio State talk makes me want to vomit. This is a team that barely got by a horrible Nebraska team, a bad Maryland team and an average Penn State. Maryland, is the same team that got beat by our second place third best team, Temple. Not to mention, Ohio State was destroyed by an average Purdue. In contrast, UCf has not lost for two years including the bowl game against a team that beat both the champion and runner up.

College football has devolved into a popularity contest to determine the champion or maybe it has always been. I hate to beat the UCF drum because the resulting annoyance from several of their posters is unbearable. However, the current system is the equivalent of a fascist no bid contract system. Do not let the little guy compete because the bigger entity has more resources. This is un American and screams "We need a playoff." Let the kids compete.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 12:25 PM by rosewater.)
12-01-2018 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: Losing interest in college football
Almost every pundit now saying that even if UCF wins and Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose today, UCF still won't make the CFP.
12-01-2018 10:38 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(12-01-2018 10:38 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Almost every pundit now saying that even if UCF wins and Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose today, UCF still won't make the CFP.

The just need to be honest and say what it is. It is a country club and nobody else can join.
12-01-2018 10:42 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(12-01-2018 10:42 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 10:38 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  Almost every pundit now saying that even if UCF wins and Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all lose today, UCF still won't make the CFP.

The just need to be honest and say what it is. It is a country club and nobody else can join.

Of course it is. Intentionally. It's all about greed and money, and they got away with it.

It is also why they took control of the rankings away from the computers.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 10:44 AM by TripleA.)
12-01-2018 10:44 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Who has Clemson beat? Texas A&M? Syracuse? OOOOOHHH
12-01-2018 10:51 AM
Def Berkkat Offline
1st String

The ESPN reporter just asked how UCF losing their QB Milton McKenzie has affected the team.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 10:52 AM by Def Berkkat.)
12-01-2018 10:52 AM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

Still would love to see legislation titled fairness and equity in college athletics which allows for championship access, more equal revenue sharing, and some player compensation.

Every sport must give equal access to the post season championship. Basically making the college football playoff an illegal system.
12-01-2018 11:00 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(12-01-2018 11:00 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Still would love to see legislation titled fairness and equity in college athletics which allows for championship access, more equal revenue sharing, and some player compensation.

Every sport must give equal access to the post season championship. Basically making the college football playoff an illegal system.

The P5 will continue with their little beauty contest invitational with thier stacked Selection Committee as long as they can. Once the public becomes fully aware of how badly its rigged, once the writers beat the drum on its unfairness, and once the public gets tired of Alabama vs Ohio St every year—the P5 will finally be shamed into expanding to 8 with a legitimate path to the playoff for the G5.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 04:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-01-2018 11:10 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(12-01-2018 10:44 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 10:42 AM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  

Of course it is. Intentionally. It's all about greed and money, and they got away with it.

It is also why they took control of the rankings away from the computers.

Computers actually scared them. It did things like put Cincinnati at #3, TCU at #4, BSU in the top 10, etc. They didn't like that.

Do you really think WSU was going to be allowed into the CFP this season? There is a reason that Leach wants a fair expansion. Half the P5 has bias baked against them, too.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 11:28 AM by oliveandblue.)
12-01-2018 11:27 AM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Great post. ESPNs goal has been to create competition for the NFL through college football. I don’t know that they understand what they are up against. Pro football has 32 teams and ESPN wants to emulate that. They don’t seem to understand that they are severely limiting their audience by doing so. If Temple (well stated above as the second place third best team in the OP) is relegated along with the rest of the so-called G5, my interest in college football will drop and my watching of P5 will also drop. (For example I watched 90% of the MAC CCG last night and only the last 30 minutes of the PAC CCG) Multiply that times the 70 schools they want to demote that’s a lot fewer eyes on tv. At a time when attendance and viewership is decreasing why would they try to reduce it more? I’ve always assumed ESPN knows what they are doing but history is full of big businesses that made bad decisions and disappeared. This limited invitational playoff is another example; the powers that be would increase interest and viewership and revenue with a 16 team playoff 10 FBS champs and 6 at large. The elitist factor is preventing this.
12-01-2018 11:34 AM
knightmite Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(12-01-2018 11:00 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  Still would love to see legislation titled fairness and equity in college athletics which allows for championship access, more equal revenue sharing, and some player compensation.

Most people seem to agree that the G5 conferences had no choice to accept the P5 terms or be left out of the money. I say that is rubbish. If that happened the G5 would have had a great RICO lawsuit. They just chickened out.
12-01-2018 11:41 AM
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-01-2018 11:41 AM)knightmite Wrote:  

Most people seem to agree that the G5 conferences had no choice to accept the P5 terms or be left out of the money. I say that is rubbish. If that happened the G5 would have had a great RICO lawsuit. They just chickened out.

I hear Aresco's closet is full of chicken suits.
12-01-2018 11:44 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ

Problem is most of the g4 are around for welfare checks and perfectly fine with just accepting terms.
12-01-2018 11:44 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Didn't chicken out as institutions so much, rather as individuals/ G5 decision makers not wanting to be blackballed from P5 jobs..... likely Aresco's thinking & several of our AAC ADs.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 12:24 PM by Atlanta.)
12-01-2018 12:20 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
(12-01-2018 11:34 AM)vick mike Wrote:  Great post. ESPNs goal has been to create competition for the NFL through college football. I don’t know that they understand what they are up against. Pro football has 32 teams and ESPN wants to emulate that. They don’t seem to understand that they are severely limiting their audience by doing so. If Temple (well stated above as the second place third best team in the OP) is relegated along with the rest of the so-called G5, my interest in college football will drop and my watching of P5 will also drop. (For example I watched 90% of the MAC CCG last night and only the last 30 minutes of the PAC CCG) Multiply that times the 70 schools they want to demote that’s a lot fewer eyes on tv. At a time when attendance and viewership is decreasing why would they try to reduce it more? I’ve always assumed ESPN knows what they are doing but history is full of big businesses that made bad decisions and disappeared. This limited invitational playoff is another example; the powers that be would increase interest and viewership and revenue with a 16 team playoff 10 FBS champs and 6 at large. The elitist factor is preventing this.

Glad you were able to ferret out my little bit of trollery.
12-01-2018 12:22 PM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
Utah provided the example. All that is needed is for some school to sue or a politician to investigate. Change would occur quickly.
12-01-2018 12:48 PM
Advertisement

Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
Last year I wouldve agreed with you because they had a Goodnuf schedule... but this year they played one ranked team... as far as I know. just doesn't suffice to what the college football playoffs requires. Do I think you guys are going to win the New Year's six bowl, of course but my point still stands. I know you're good enough... but no one deserves to be in the playoff, if they only beat one ranked team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-01-2018 12:55 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-01-2018 12:48 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Utah provided the example. All that is needed is for some school to sue or a politician to investigate. Change would occur quickly.

Take it from a UCONN fan...

The whole "lawsuit/political investigation" strategy doesn't always work out in your favor.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2018 12:59 PM by HuskyU.)
12-01-2018 12:58 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(12-01-2018 12:58 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 12:48 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Utah provided the example. All that is needed is for some school to sue or a politician to investigate. Change would occur quickly.

The whole "lawsuit/political investigation" strategy doesn't always work out in your favor.

Of course UCONN failed, you hired Bob Loblaw
12-01-2018 01:15 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

(12-01-2018 01:15 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(12-01-2018 12:58 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  

Of course UCONN failed, you hired Bob Loblaw

Da Nang Dick
12-01-2018 01:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.