Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
chrisc Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
This popped up in my news feed today. Watchstadium.com (parent of the CUSA Network and a bunch of other conference networks) polled CUSA basketball coaches & assistants to rank the schools in the conference on a number of different factors. They describe it as ranking the coaching job itself, but that's a pretty good proxy for the program as a whole.

Rice came in at #10 out of 14 schools. No surprises in the breakdown - the only areas where we even ranked in the top half were Geographical Recruiting Base (#4) and Budget/Resources (#7).

Quote:Where they win: “Academics, a great campus in Houston and the ability to recruit nationally. There’s plenty of kids within a stone’s throw.” – C-USA head coach

The knock: “While there are a ton of kids in the area, Rice can’t recruit a ton of them due to their academic requirements. They are basically an Ivy league school playing in C-USA.” – C-USA assistant coach

https://watchstadium.com/news/conference...1-30-2018/
11-30-2018 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
RE: Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference
The ranking categories are interesting but some of the assistant coach comments seem pretty flippant, like they did not really think through their responses. Rice Facilities are ranked 10th, which should be a serious wake up call to the Athletic Department leadership. A poor game day atmosphere ranking (#12) has a great deal to do with the lack of ability at Rice to fill the arena on a consistent basis. The inability to sell the program to prospects that want to continue to play ball professionally seems to be a bit off-base (ranked #10). Coach Wilson prepared a large number of players overseas to play ball professionally after their careers at Rice and a few to the NBA (Wilkes, Harris, Almond). I cannot comment on Braun or Rhoades success in this area, so may be the poor ranking is reflective on recent history.

This type of ranking does show how those in the Coaching fraternity think about the opportunity to coach at Rice. The school has a great deal of work to move the needle in this regard.
11-30-2018 05:12 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
The important part of the summary...

Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference - Stadium
Conference USA Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference - Stadium Wrote:Another advantage is the ability to prop kids.
Also can get just about any qualifier and transfer into school
You can get anyone into school

I've redacted the school names because it doesn't really matter... the only school other than Rice to have a positive reference to academics was ODU.
11-30-2018 10:49 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
I will second the note about ODU's game experience. It's top notch (for a sub-P5 experience), and something Rice should aspire to. But that would require planning for that arena/convocation center that's been a rumored desire for a couple of decades. And then having strong business advertising ties, and overall creativity in the full experience. Haven't seen a live game at Rice since I graduated, but what little I've seen of live broadcasting (and poking my head in when empty) tells me that the current set up will not translate to the ODU level of experience.
11-30-2018 10:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.