Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next year's QB
Bookmark and Share
Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
Next year's QB
Peters held his own filling in for Guadagni. We got spoiled by Woodside then by Mitch's ability to scramble. I say start Bradley in the Bowl Game and let Wilkinson take a few snaps. If Bradley is the QB of the future, then what becomes of Guadagni and Peters? Maybe Mitch will graduate this year and move on as a Grad Transfer? I doubt Peters will transfer considering that would be his 3rd school. I guess it's a good problem to have just like the plethora of running backs we have on the roster.
11-26-2018 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: Next year's QB
This may not be a popular position but I believe we should seek a graduate transfer who will be eligible immediately. I think Bradley needs another year in the system before he is ready to take over as a starter. Mitch and/or Peters will not take the team to a 10 win season. Toledo would be an attractive destination for a big school guy who has been unable to get much playing time behind a 4 or 5 star QB.
11-26-2018 04:00 PM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
(11-26-2018 04:00 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  This may not be a popular position but I believe we should seek a graduate transfer who will be eligible immediately. I think Bradley needs another year in the system before he is ready to take over as a starter. Mitch and/or Peters will not take the team to a 10 win season. Toledo would be an attractive destination for a big school guy who has been unable to get much playing time behind a 4 or 5 star QB.

Good points and I wouldn’t object to a grad transfer but I also wouldn’t have a problem with Mitch G getting the nod with Bradley or Wilkinson backing him up. If Mitch G can learn that he doesn’t have to run with the ball every other play, he may end up being a decent collegiate quarterback
11-26-2018 04:34 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Peters is 5-1 as the Rocket starter. He is #2 in MAC games for Passing TD's. 13 Td's.
Peters had a few dropped. His ability to throw deep, stretching the field has opened up the running game. I believe it has helped the receiving corps because they know it's a pass when he drops back.

MAC Game TD Passes:
1 Nathan Rourke Ohio U 16 TD passes
2 Eli Peters Toledo 13 TD passes
3 Tyree Jackson Buffalo 12 TD passes

Jackson actually had 20 more attempt than Eli.
11-26-2018 04:38 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

agree. Peters is learning the game. He didn't even get the scrub snaps last year one, because he wasn't second team and two, the coaches seemed more interested in piling points onto already won games and getting "stats" as opposed to building a football team with depth.

We do not know how good Peters can be. Until Bradly or some other beats him out... As for "grad transfers," to fil holes that aren't holes, not the rep I'd like our football team to get. If the date you brought isn't cheating on you, you leave with that date. You don't go to the prom looking for options. Not classy.
11-26-2018 04:44 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-26-2018 04:44 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  agree. Peters is learning the game. He didn't even get the scrub snaps last year one, because he wasn't second team and two, the coaches seemed more interested in piling points onto already won games and getting "stats" as opposed to building a football team with depth.

We do not know how good Peters can be. Until Bradly or some other beats him out... As for "grad transfers," to fil holes that aren't holes, not the rep I'd like our football team to get. If the date you brought isn't cheating on you, you leave with that date. You don't go to the prom looking for options. Not classy.

Peters had to sit out last season. I believe staff wanted Logan to get his numbers.
11-26-2018 04:48 PM
Advertisement

Rocket75 Offline
1st String

We brought in Ely when we still had Woodside. That worked out well in that we got a redshirt year for Logan. I think competition is good for all positions. If a high quality QB wants an opportunity to beat out the competition at Toledo, we would be foolish to say no thanks.
11-26-2018 05:04 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(11-26-2018 05:04 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  We brought in Ely when we still had Woodside. That worked out well in that we got a redshirt year for Logan. I think competition is good for all positions. If a high quality QB wants an opportunity to beat out the competition at Toledo, we would be foolish to say no thanks.

There maybe a.HS QB commit in this Recruiting Class. I think Rockets have decent talent at QB, but have paid a price this season for not enough prior game experience. Not to mention a Defense that could cover up for the Offense.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2018 05:27 PM by Boca Rocket.)
11-26-2018 05:26 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
I think even if a talented grad transfer QB were to come here we still wouldn’t be a 10-win team...or even an 8-win team. We have plenty of positions to re-tool & shore up next season (bunch of fairly new receivers, some holes in the O line, most of the D). Commit to build for the future. There is talent at QB in the fold already, but they all lacked experience. Pay the price next season, and if we can develop young talent at QB & other positions, we could be back in the championship mix the season after that.

Guadagni showed promise early, but did leave the pocket quickly. Peters stays in the pocket, but like most young, inexperienced QBs he stares his primary receiver down & doesn’t check off to other options, leading to forced throws. Bradley hasn’t had much opportunity to show really anything, but he was a 3 or 4-star for a reason. And Wilkinson had nice numbers out of high school. Let ‘em play it out this Spring & solidify it from that bunch in the Fall.
11-26-2018 06:51 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(11-26-2018 06:51 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I think even if a talented grad transfer QB were to come here we still wouldn’t be a 10-win team...or even an 8-win team. We have plenty of positions to re-tool & shore up next season (bunch of fairly new receivers, some holes in the O line, most of the D). Commit to build for the future. There is talent at QB in the fold already, but they all lacked experience. Pay the price next season, and if we can develop young talent at QB & other positions, we could be back in the championship mix the season after that.

Guadagni showed promise early, but did leave the pocket quickly. Peters stays in the pocket, but like most young, inexperienced QBs he stares his primary receiver down & doesn’t check off to other options, leading to forced throws. Bradley hasn’t had much opportunity to show really anything, but he was a 3 or 4-star for a reason. And Wilkinson had nice numbers out of high school. Let ‘em play it out this Spring & solidify it from that bunch in the Fall.

Guadagni has shown he can be injured. Unfortunately, that means it is more likely to happen in the future.
11-26-2018 06:55 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

IMHO If Guadagni is available he will start in 2019
11-26-2018 07:08 PM
Advertisement

JCannon21 Offline
Special Teams

(11-26-2018 07:08 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  IMHO If Guadagni is available he will start in 2019

Not a chance. What makes you say that
11-26-2018 07:20 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

(11-26-2018 04:38 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Peters is 5-1 as the Rocket starter. He is #2 in MAC games for Passing TD's. 13 Td's.
Peters had a few dropped. His ability to throw deep, stretching the field has opened up the running game. I believe it has helped the receiving corps because they know it's a pass when he drops back.

MAC Game TD Passes:

I said on another thread that I was not excited about getting MG back for the bowl game. Five and one can’t really be too upset with that. If he was just a tad more accurate we would be hard to stop. Hell we are hard to stop now. Not sure what our lowest scoring game was but it could not have been too low
11-26-2018 08:01 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

I think it will be an open competition for QB next year, as no one has separated themselves as of yet, and I think Candle doesn't want to name starters until they earn it anyway

From my take, Mitch was more accurate than Peters (Peters throws on crossing routes were always behind the receiver for example), but Mitch should be as he has more time in the program. Peters had much more pocket presence though, but I think all-else being equal, Candle would like to have Guadagni's running ability in the game. Bradley still an unknown so far.

But it may be hard for whoever it is because they are gonna have to break in a whole new crop of receivers.
11-26-2018 08:37 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
I looked up Logan's Soph numbers. He had 6 MAC starts, missed out on starting at NIU. He went 6-0 in those starts and passed for 12 TD's. 3 were against KSU and 5 vs EMU. Had a great OL with Mancz & Co.
11-26-2018 09:02 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(11-26-2018 08:01 PM)Babes boy Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 04:38 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Peters is 5-1 as the Rocket starter. He is #2 in MAC games for Passing TD's. 13 Td's.

MAC Game TD Passes:

I said on another thread that I was not excited about getting MG back for the bowl game. Five and one can’t really be too upset with that. If he was just a tad more accurate we would be hard to stop. Hell we are hard to stop now. Not sure what our lowest scoring game was but it could not have been too low

15 @ NIU, 17 @ Buffalo. Both games featured Peters: 5-17 vs Bulls and 26-47 vs NIU, with five sacks. Guadagni started UB game but was injured early, IIRC. Threw only 4 passes.
11-26-2018 09:08 PM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

IMO Peters and Bradley will go into next fall in competition for the starting the job, but Peters will open the season as starter. Bradley doesn't look quite ready to start yet. I don't think Peters is the quarterback of the future though. He doesn't think twice about throwing a ball into double and triple coverage, doesn't seem to have an internal clock when it comes to how long he can sit in the pocket, and in big games or crunch time he can't hit guys who are wide open. At times he misses them by 10 yards. Mitch's feet can be an asset at times, because it stretches the defense but can also limit the offense. IMO Peters and Mitch are here because they were willing to hang out during the Logan/Alabama transfer era and that's about it. Bradley is future, once he's ready.
11-27-2018 01:43 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I don't think there is a need to run out and pick up a transfer QB, throw Peters, Mitch and Bradley into spring training and summer camp mix and lets see who comes out top, they all have skills and yet all need improvements, but if all three were decent recruits the coaches need to work with them and get the best out of one to be a starter. Frankly I see much more need and concern over OL and the defense and major improvements there in 2019 in order to make team compete for the MAC West title.
11-27-2018 02:19 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
If we expect to compete with good teams, the OL and D absolutely need attention--regardless of who the QB will be. MG will be a senior. Unless he proves himself to be more-or-less the only option for 2019, may as well consider it a rebuilding year; play the best R-freshman and start building the future.
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2018 01:36 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
11-27-2018 03:50 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
- Needs to be Carter Bradley !!
Simple as that... MG and EP are good QB’s in their own right, but Bradley I believe is the one that gives us the best chance to get back to the MACC and also be competitive against Kentucky next fall... Another road win against an SEC team will garner a lot of respect for the Rocket program...
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 04:01 PM by FMRocket.)
11-27-2018 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.