Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If Jon Leaves
Bookmark and Share
LouisianaEagleEdD Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
If Jon Leaves
Is it even possible that we could find someone both competent and who truly has a connection to USM? People may hate on Hop on here and God knows his decision making at times vexes me, but I never doubt that he is proud to be here.
11-26-2018 01:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

RE: If Jon Leaves
I’d love someone in leadership that cares about our school. I’d like a coach that wants to be the next head guy at Bama and will give 200% to get there.
11-26-2018 01:12 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
Que the Bower mentions in 1....2....3...
11-26-2018 02:28 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(11-26-2018 02:28 PM)EagleFWB Wrote:  Que the Bower mentions in 1....2....3...

Could he be worse than this freaking dope?
11-26-2018 02:50 PM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

Don't know the answer to that, but I'd personally rather not find out. I have no doubt his name will be mentioned hundreds of times if Gilbert leaves though.
11-26-2018 03:05 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

http://nsjonline.com/article/2018/11/pir...n-gilbert/

The East Carolina Board of Trustees will hold a special meeting at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, reportedly to approve the contract of a new athletic director.

According to several sources with knowledge of the situation, Southern Mississippi athletic director Jon Gilbert is the expected to be the choice to fill the position that has been vacant since Jeff Compher was asked to resign last March.

Gilbert has ties to ECU special consultant Dave Hart, having served under him as executive senior associate athletic director when the two were at Tennessee. They also worked together previously at Alabama.

Hart, who is leading ECU’s 13-member search committee with chancellor Cecil Staton, had set Dec. 1 as the goal for having a new AD in place. Barring any surprises as Wednesday’s Trustees meeting, where “confidential personnel and legal matters” will be discussed, he’ll beat that deadline by three days.

The timing will allow Gilbert to make an evaluation of the Pirates’ struggling football program and presumably hire his own coach once Scottie Montgomery is fired as expected following Saturday’s season finale at NC State.
11-26-2018 11:12 PM
Advertisement

Reggie Favre Offline
All American

Damn, this is good news!!
11-27-2018 12:59 AM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-27-2018 12:59 AM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  Damn, this is good news!!

Adios, muchacha!

We need a real AD, a tough AD. One that will get rid of deadbeats Doc, Berry, McNelis, clean up the dept. bureaucracy and retool our entire athletic posture and focus.

Fat chance, huh?
11-27-2018 11:51 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(11-27-2018 11:51 AM)Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Wrote:  

Adios, muchacha!

We need a real AD, a tough AD. One that will get rid of deadbeats Doc, Berry, McNelis, clean up the dept. bureaucracy and retool our entire athletic posture and focus.

Fat chance, huh?

Seriously? You think Berry should be fired?
11-27-2018 12:27 PM
cadillacman Offline
Water Engineer

Adios, muchacha!

Fat chance, huh?

You have lofty goals..Of all the AD's I have seen, this one has done much of nothing. No major building initiatives and no major changes. It's gonna take someone at least 7 to 10 years to put in place a turnaround that we need.
I don't see a top notch AD sticking around that long. Problem with pulling someone from the inside, they may not have the street cred to execute a conference shift.
Caught in the middle...Hell, I'll take the guy or gal on inside (at USM) and swing for the fences...
11-27-2018 12:48 PM
Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-27-2018 12:27 PM)TTT Wrote:  

Adios, muchacha!

Fat chance, huh?

We can do better, much better. And that goes double for Otis and the lunch lady.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 01:46 PM by Black and Gold Battle Umbrella.)
11-27-2018 01:42 PM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

(11-27-2018 01:42 PM)Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Wrote:  

Adios, muchacha!

Fat chance, huh?

We can do better, much better. And that goes double for Otis and the lunch lady.

Don’t talk about Ms Gloria like that now.
11-27-2018 01:59 PM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
(11-27-2018 01:42 PM)Black and Gold Battle Umbrella Wrote:  

Adios, muchacha!

Fat chance, huh?

Of course one can always do better...but firing Berry? That's absolutely ridiculous. Just imagine the precedent and expectations that would set for whoever is interviewing...knowing that the guy who was just FIRED did this:

2016: 41-20 Conference Champions, Regional Bid. T25 ranking
2017: 50-16 Conference Champion runner-up, NCAA Regional Host, T25 ranking
2018: 44-18 Conference Champions, Regional Bid, T25 ranking

^who in their right mind would want to interview for a job where the previous HC was FIRED for producing the above results!??? No one would want the job out of fear.

Obviously I'll grant you Doc and Joy but Berry? You'd have a better case for Hop. Berry has actually won some damn conference championships.
11-27-2018 02:05 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(11-27-2018 02:05 PM)TTT Wrote:  Regional Host

That, and consecutive winning seasons are what's important.
11-27-2018 03:02 PM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

Mediocrity is the definition of Joye Lee's tenure here. How else do you explain her still having a job with 0 NCAA appearances in her 14 years here. I realize she has 2 2nd place reg season finishes and a 3rd place in the last 5 years but at the same time in the last 9 years she's had 5 finishes of 9th place or worse. I realize some people in the administration will settle for this as Joye does love USM but at what point do we get tired of settling for NIT berths every other year.
11-27-2018 03:06 PM
Footballeagle Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2018 03:06 PM)usm99 Wrote:  Mediocrity is the definition of Joye Lee's tenure here. How else do you explain her still having a job with 0 NCAA appearances in her 14 years here. I realize she has 2 2nd place reg season finishes and a 3rd place in the last 5 years but at the same time in the last 9 years she's had 5 finishes of 9th place or worse. I realize some people in the administration will settle for this as Joye does love USM but at what point do we get tired of settling for NIT berths every other year.

I couldn't agree more, however its women's basketball. Nobody cares outside of the 150 fans that watch them.
11-27-2018 03:16 PM
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

That's the problem. No one cares. Until fans care, nothing will change.

There's a prevailing mindset in Hattiesburg that USM fans don't care about basketball, men's or women's. It's factually untrue. There's an idea that in the Deep South, football and baseball are all you should invest in because even good basketball teams don't get supported. Look no further than Starkville to see that's not the case.

Put a winning product on the court. I don't care if it's Men's or Women's, if they go out there and win, then they will be supported. And I don't mean schedule creampuffs and pad your record. I mean be competitive for a conference championship, go to NCAA tournaments, get ranked, etc.
11-27-2018 04:34 PM
Footballeagle Offline
2nd String

(11-27-2018 04:34 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  That's the problem. No one cares. Until fans care, nothing will change.

There's a prevailing mindset in Hattiesburg that USM fans don't care about basketball, men's or women's. It's factually untrue. There's an idea that in the Deep South, football and baseball are all you should invest in because even good basketball teams don't get supported. Look no further than Starkville to see that's not the case.

Put a winning product on the court. I don't care if it's Men's or Women's, if they go out there and win, then they will be supported. And I don't mean schedule creampuffs and pad your record. I mean be competitive for a conference championship, go to NCAA tournaments, get ranked, etc.
i'm not arguing that if the women's team was winning people wouldn't show. I'm saying it's women's basketball and the product itself is unwatchable regardless of how good they are. I'd rather watch high school men's games than college, pro women's. Its boring and not entertaining. JMO. Oh and i do agree that more effort should be put into the men's program.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 05:09 PM by Footballeagle.)
11-27-2018 05:08 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

Gilbert can easily be replaced. Issue is we need to hire someone who will/can do a better job. If donors will give more money if Bower is AD, then hell, give him a shot. It's not like it can get worse.
11-27-2018 05:55 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(11-27-2018 03:16 PM)Footballeagle Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 03:06 PM)usm99 Wrote:  Mediocrity is the definition of Joye Lee's tenure here. How else do you explain her still having a job with 0 NCAA appearances in her 14 years here. I realize she has 2 2nd place reg season finishes and a 3rd place in the last 5 years but at the same time in the last 9 years she's had 5 finishes of 9th place or worse. I realize some people in the administration will settle for this as Joye does love USM but at what point do we get tired of settling for NIT berths every other year.

I couldn't agree more, however its women's basketball. Nobody cares outside of the 150 fans that watch them.

The least of our worries should be womens basketball or any other female sport. If womens bb made the ncaa tourney every year.....who really cares? Thats what guys talk and brag about to their buddies? Not most of us, id assume. "Hey man, our womens x team is awesome. Should see our point guard / pitcher / ????. Best player we've had in years. Check out this YouTube of her!". Nada.

Leave baseball and Berry alone. Think about how bad administration could **** that up with their hire. Focus on football and basketball as far as coaches.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2018 07:29 PM by Reggie Favre.)
11-27-2018 07:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.