Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

After first week of Playoffs - JMU & CAA
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Well, well, well ......

Excluding the excuses I'm not sure based on the results yesterday how good JMU and the CAA are.

The common thought this year for the CAA is we all beat up on each other. Perhaps we had some real bad teams this year that allowed other teams to accumulate 7 wins. I've already revised my opinion back to where it was entering October - there were two top ten CAA teams this year - JMU and Elon before the injuries. Might not have been another top 15 team. UNH - if not for the QB injury could of been another top 10 team.

JMU's defense looked great the first half. JMU always seemed to be in control of the game, but let's look at Delaware's previous 3 games

Beat Albany at home only 21-16
Lost at Stony Brook 3-17
Lost at home top Nova 42-21
Lost at JMU 6-20

Maine and JMU the only teams left from the CAA, and I don't think Maine is any better than the CAA teams that played yesterday.

All the CAA has played the last two months is the CAA. We (the CAA) didn't look too good playing OOC yesterday.

JMU won at Towson by 21 last week.
Duquesne won at Towson by 21 last week.

I know that's a little objective review, and I'm sure some will come up with excuses, but if you look at the results.....

That said, we have what I consider the best head coach for a Major program in JMU history. When the odds come out today we'll be a FG favorite over Colgate.

One game at a time, but I think with MH we can win any FCS game, but it won't be as easy as the last two years, and last year was anything by easy.
11-25-2018 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
RE: After first week of Playoffs - JMU & CAA
Me thinks this is just a massive overreaction.

**** happens, sometimes teams lose.

Yesterday it just happened to go against the caa. Not our year.

But the league was and is still strong, including this year.
11-25-2018 09:58 AM
Dukester Offline

(11-25-2018 09:58 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Me thinks this is just a massive overreaction.

Strong is a general subjective term. I would say as has been the case the last few years the CAA is a hair better than the third best FCS conference.

Three OOC CAA games yesterday, and 3 double digit losses.

Two teams from the CAA in the final 16.

If we were that strong we would not of had all three of our OOC playoff games out of contention by halfway through the 4th quarter yesterday.

If we had won all the games by double digits everyone, including myself, would of said - "See!". The reality is what happened.
11-25-2018 10:10 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2018 09:58 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  Me thinks this is just a massive overreaction.

Yep, Towson was playing in a monsoon, which likely impacted their passing game.

Dukester, your great friend Sagarin said Towson and Stony Brook were the better teams ... you don't believe Sagarin anymore?

The almighty MVFC saw UNI squeek out a 3 point win over Lamar, LOL!
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 10:17 AM by JMURocks.)
11-25-2018 10:12 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

All that matters is that JMU wins and moves on. Everything else is optics.

When JMU wins in Frisco this year no one will be blathering about the relative strength of conferences.
11-25-2018 10:33 AM
jmu007 Online
All American

Way too much over analyzing of this weekend by this board and AGS. One weekend of teams either letting down, just being beat by a better team, and expected losses (Elon) does not change the entire season.

OMG 6th place CAA team lost to the SoCon champ. Say it ain't so.

Towson decided to pack it in and not show up in a rain storm after getting pummeled by JMU the week before... Say it ain't so.

I have no idea on SB. Didn't watch any of it haha.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 10:49 AM by jmu007.)
11-25-2018 10:48 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Online
Heisman

The CAA's best two teams are still in the playoffs.
11-25-2018 11:07 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Dukester is now a MVFC fan boy. Go figure.
11-25-2018 11:10 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2018 10:48 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  Way too much over analyzing of this weekend by this board and AGS. One weekend of teams either letting down, just being beat by a better team, and expected losses (Elon) does not change the entire season.

Towson decided to pack it in and not show up in a rain storm after getting pummeled by JMU the week before... Say it ain't so.

SB outgained SEMO but turned the ball over four times, including setting up 3 short TD drives for SEMO.
11-25-2018 11:15 AM
#20fromalongtimeago Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-25-2018 11:15 AM)Potomac Wrote:  
(11-25-2018 10:48 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  Way too much over analyzing of this weekend by this board and AGS. One weekend of teams either letting down, just being beat by a better team, and expected losses (Elon) does not change the entire season.

SB outgained SEMO but turned the ball over four times, including setting up 3 short TD drives for SEMO.

SB's Carbone injured in game. Towson Flacco could not throw the ball in the rain (Lots of ducks and under throws). The conditions did not favor Towson at all... Elon is not the same team without QB and RB. Elon's backup QB is horrible. On the surface, it looks like the CAA is overrated but there is always more to the story. At the end of the day, conference strength is irrelevant and that's why we have a playoff so the best all around team wins. A lot rides on injuries, who's playing hot and coaching but usually the team with the best scheme and the players to fit that scheme will win AKA NDSU. JMU is in the conversation now (Strong defense, disciplined and a offense that plays to limit mistakes/turnovers). I've seen comments about playing not to lose or a MM offense but I'll take our team and program over the high scoring EW style any day. We can still drop points but our program is built to win games against championship teams.
11-25-2018 12:09 PM
fishingduke12 Online
All American

(11-25-2018 12:09 PM)#20fromalongtimeago Wrote:  

SB's Carbone injured in game. Towson Flacco could not throw the ball in the rain (Lots of ducks and under throws). The conditions did not favor Towson at all... Elon is not the same team without QB and RB. Elon's backup QB is horrible. On the surface, it looks like the CAA is overrated but there is always more to the story. At the end of the day, conference strength is irrelevant and that's why we have a playoff so the best all around team wins. A lot rides on injuries, who's playing hot and coaching but usually the team with the best scheme and the players to fit that scheme will win AKA NDSU. JMU is in the conversation now (Strong defense, disciplined and a offense that plays to limit mistakes/turnovers). I've seen comments about playing not to lose or a MM offense but I'll take our team and program over the high scoring EW style any day. We can still drop points but our program is built to win games against championship teams.

EW just tried to outscore teams, imagine his offensive mindset with the Houston/Trott defensive mindset. The strength of our offense is the playmakers not the line so running up the middle twice and then pass in an obvious situation is not the best method in my opinion. Screens, quick outs, jet sweeps are all relatively low risk plays that open up the defense, get the ball in the hands of the guys that make plays and get a rhythm going to our offense
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 02:12 PM by fishingduke12.)
11-25-2018 01:40 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(11-25-2018 10:12 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

Yep, Towson was playing in a monsoon, which likely impacted their passing game.

Dukester, your great friend Sagarin said Towson and Stony Brook were the better teams ... you don't believe Sagarin anymore?

The almighty MVFC saw UNI squeek out a 3 point win over Lamar, LOL!

Oh man - you got me. 03-nutkick

NOT

Sagarins FBS Rankings

JMU #4 pretty much tied with EWU.

St Bon - #15
Del - #21
Tow - #23
Maine - #24
Elon - #25

I think that's about right. Only Maine and JMU in the final 16.

Makes sense to me when you look at the season as a whole. Obviously one game anything can happen - *ODU*
11-25-2018 02:00 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(11-25-2018 01:40 PM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  
(11-25-2018 12:09 PM)#20fromalongtimeago Wrote:  

EW didnt just tried to outscore teams, imagine his offensive mindset with the Houston/Trott defensive mindset. The strength of our offense is the playmakers not the line so running up the middle twice and then pass in an obvious situation is not the best method in my opinion. Screens, quick outs, jet sweeps are all relatively low risk plays that open up the defense, get the ball in the hands of the guys that make plays and get a rhythm going to our offense
Imagine the EW offensive mindset without Vad Lee- it wasn’t very good.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 10:00 PM by BDKJMU.)
11-25-2018 02:09 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

I agree. Half of the CAA is decimated with injuries. I didn't expect Elon to win yesterday without Cheek and Summers.

I expected Stony Brook to play 9-3 SE Mo State tough, and they did.... for two quarters. The Stoners outgained SEMO 404 yards to 240 and led at the half 14-0. Then they imploded in the third quarter with four turnovers, three of which led to SEMO touchdowns.

I also expected Towson to play better. They got blown out by the other Dukes at 9-3 Duquesne in a monsoon. I'm guessing Towson doesn't want to see any teams named the Dukes for a while.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2018 04:22 PM by Purple.)
11-25-2018 04:16 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

If JMU and Maine both win next Saturday, I believe that reinforces the committees decision to put six teams in the tournament. In the end, I don’t give a crap about anyone but JMU. If all the CAA teams lost in the first round, I would be disappointed but would not give it a second thought as long as JMU kept winning their way to another NC.
11-25-2018 08:22 PM
Dukester Offline

(11-25-2018 08:22 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  If JMU and Maine both win next Saturday, I believe that reinforces the committees decision to put six teams in the tournament. In the end, I don’t give a crap about anyone but JMU. If all the CAA teams lost in the first round, I would be disappointed but would not give it a second thought as long as JMU kept winning their way to another NC.

In reality that is true. I was rooting for the 3 CAA teams on Saturday hoping we would have 6 in the final 16. Doing so would of explained some of JMU's conference struggles. Really it all comes down to JMU.
11-26-2018 10:00 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Well, I'm with Dukester on this. I was extremely disappointed in the CAA's showing. Gives plenty of substantiation to the other conferences to discredit all the talk of how tough the CAA was this year. I would say there were a lot of mediocre teams and parity in the league. Injuries changed everything for a few of the teams. Should that be a consideration come playoff time? I think so. Elon is nowhere near the team they were with the QB and RB. UNH obviously is a completely different team with their QB in. They didn't make the playoffs, but with their QB they were playoff worthy. Villanova, the same thing. We were a great conference that at the end of the year was just ok, due to injuries.
11-26-2018 11:36 AM
Dukester Offline

(11-26-2018 11:36 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Well, I'm with Dukester on this. I was extremely disappointed in the CAA's showing. Gives plenty of substantiation to the other conferences to discredit all the talk of how tough the CAA was this year. I would say there were a lot of mediocre teams and parity in the league. Injuries changed everything for a few of the teams. Should that be a consideration come playoff time? I think so. Elon is nowhere near the team they were with the QB and RB. UNH obviously is a completely different team with their QB in. They didn't make the playoffs, but with their QB they were playoff worthy. Villanova, the same thing. We were a great conference that at the end of the year was just ok, due to injuries.

04-cheers
11-26-2018 12:08 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(11-26-2018 10:00 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(11-25-2018 08:22 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  If JMU and Maine both win next Saturday, I believe that reinforces the committees decision to put six teams in the tournament. In the end, I don’t give a crap about anyone but JMU. If all the CAA teams lost in the first round, I would be disappointed but would not give it a second thought as long as JMU kept winning their way to another NC.

In reality that is true. I was rooting for the 3 CAA teams on Saturday hoping we would have 6 in the final 16. Doing so would of explained some of JMU's conference struggles. Really it all comes down to JMU.

6 CAA teams in the final 16 would have been one HELL Of a thing
11-26-2018 12:37 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I would have bet every cent I own we would only have 5 max...
11-26-2018 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.