Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

in praise of coach hop. or, the best I can do.
Bookmark and Share
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
in praise of coach hop. or, the best I can do.
I have never been overly fond of coach hop. I find him unimaginative. I've been driven to apoplexy by his perpetual "that's just football" approach to just about everything. his strategy regarding his QB(s) has been one head-scratcher after another. he's just incredibly, mind-bendingly adequate.

but I'll give him this; he had a perfect opportunity to hatch a pretty big TTT moment this afternoon, and it appears* that he is going to refuse to lay that egg.

*not anticipating anything, assuming anything, or taking anything for granted. the cfb gods are apparently in a bad mood today. ask the LT guys.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2018 05:51 PM by EagleX.)
11-24-2018 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

RE: in praise of coach hop. or, the best I can do.
Average is a better word than adequate because he hasn't been good enough. Adequacy implies good enough.

Man.....this UTEP team is.....dreadful to say the least. I mean our D is pretty good but damm

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using CSNbbs mobile app
11-24-2018 05:54 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

UTEP is utter garbage. He deserves no praise for doing exactly what he should.
11-24-2018 05:55 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 05:55 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  UTEP is utter garbage. He deserves no praise for doing exactly what he should.

I dunno. john cox sounds pretty excited.
11-24-2018 06:00 PM
EagleX Offline

in retrospect, that hurricane was probably fortuitous. 6-5 is way sexier that 6-6.
11-24-2018 06:05 PM
Advertisement

EagleX Offline

in the post game, coach hop said a bunch of stuff that sounded like we're seeded ahead of LT "cuzweebeetumhaidtahaid".
11-24-2018 06:52 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Lol

11-24-2018 06:53 PM
southernmiss4ever Offline
All American

Doesn't Hopson have almost as many wins in 4 seasons as any USM coach in history?

Isnt Hopson one of the lowest paid FBS head coaches?

Isnt his staff one of the lowest paid staffs in the nation?

I'm pretty sure I know the answers to those questions.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2018 07:13 PM by southernmiss4ever.)
11-24-2018 07:11 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
Congratulations guys. Good win to get you bowl eligible. Hope you end up in some post season game.
11-24-2018 07:16 PM
Advertisement

Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
(11-24-2018 07:11 PM)southernmiss4ever Wrote:  Doesn't Hopson have almost as many wins in 4 seasons as any USM coach in history?

Yep I think Hopson is doing pretty good considering. Though I think we need a new offensive coordinator.
11-24-2018 07:16 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 07:16 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Congratulations guys. Good win to get you bowl eligible. Hope you end up in some post season game.

peace, bros. you guys deserved better than you got. I always enjoy the UTEP game. Love your stadium. I am determined to catch a game at your place one day.
11-24-2018 07:18 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(11-24-2018 07:18 PM)EagleX Wrote:  
(11-24-2018 07:16 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  Congratulations guys. Good win to get you bowl eligible. Hope you end up in some post season game.

peace, bros. you guys deserved better than you got. I always enjoy the UTEP game. Love your stadium. I am determined to catch a game at your place one day.

I was in town for the thanksgiving festivities and was able to catch this game live. There were some USM fans in attendance. Maybe about 30-50. Hopefully in two years our game will mean much more and you’ll be able to attend.
11-24-2018 07:23 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 07:11 PM)southernmiss4ever Wrote:  Doesn't Hopson have almost as many wins in 4 seasons as any USM coach in history?

of course I do. and you're absolutely correct.

I would observe that poor mouthing is, like, my least favorite thing ever. it works on the rah-rah board. not so sure about anywhere outside the matrix.

anyway, it also didn't keep fedora from achieving great things (although his TTT moment against UAB may have been the most epic). it didn't keep monken from achieving great things.

I mean, I'm trying to not argue with you, because nasty damned me with with faint praise last week (X and Stink are good fans, they just have a different perspective) , and I am trying to be more positive.
11-24-2018 07:24 PM
Advertisement

EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 07:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

I was in town for the thanksgiving festivities and was able to catch this game live. There were some USM fans in attendance. Maybe about 30-50. Hopefully in two years our game will mean much more and you’ll be able to attend.

looking forward to it.

hey, and I think I ask this stupid question every other year, but is it always windy at your place?

[Image: giphy.gif]
11-24-2018 07:37 PM
USM@FTL Offline
All American

Fix the OLine.
11-24-2018 07:38 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 07:38 PM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Fix the OLine.

stinkfist has been screaming that one from day one. I think anderson and moore are pretty spectacular backs that tend to camouflage those issues.
11-24-2018 07:42 PM
JCMiner Offline
All American

(11-24-2018 07:37 PM)EagleX Wrote:  
(11-24-2018 07:23 PM)JCMiner Wrote:  

looking forward to it.

hey, and I think I ask this stupid question every other year, but is it always windy at your place?

[Image: giphy.gif]
No usually at this time of year it’s freezing. But the new ad has moved up kickoffs from 6pm to 1pm MT. We are still unsure if the move help or ailed the attendance. With a 1-11 team I don’t think it matters what time the game starts at. We will be lucky to have anything close to 10k.
11-24-2018 07:54 PM
Advertisement

Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

My problem with Hop is he is just so dull. Never gets excited, never gets fired up - and his players play that way. He is happy where Southern Miss is because he is a Bower guy and that's all he can ever see us being - win enough games (i.e. 6) to go to a bowl game and once every 4 years win 7 or 8 games. Why didn't we continue to hire young exciting coaches that wanted to move on? I don't get it, all we care about is hiring a "Southern Miss guy" that will stay forever.

With that said - I'm hoping Hop makes me eat my words within the next couple of years. He certainly deserves a few more years simply because he is playing with only 74 scholarship players. I'm willing to give him time to build the team with 85 scholarship players and see what he can do once he gets there.
11-24-2018 08:09 PM
EagleX Offline

(11-24-2018 08:09 PM)Up2stuff Wrote:  My problem with Hop is he is just so dull. Never gets excited, never gets fired up - and his players play that way. He is happy where Southern Miss is because he is a Bower guy and that's all he can ever see us being - win enough games (i.e. 6) to go to a bowl game and once every 4 years win 7 or 8 games. Why didn't we continue to hire young exciting coaches that wanted to move on? I don't get it, all we care about is hiring a "Southern Miss guy" that will stay forever.

With that said - I'm hoping Hop makes me eat my words within the next couple of years. He certainly deserves a few more years simply because he is playing with only 74 scholarship players. I'm willing to give him time to build the team with 85 scholarship players and see what he can do once he gets there.

good point, for a lot of reasons. we got used to the offensive innovation of fedora. (smart words years ago from noodles were something along the lines of, "we have to out innovate them. we have to out think them. we have to be smarter than them). the pappy buttermilk years were lost to me because Mrs. X put me in rehab that year (not really, but funny). then we got monken, yet another offensive innovator.

so, to an extent, we're spoiled.

coach hop is conventional. we have cognitive dissonance when we see "conventional".
11-24-2018 08:26 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Dawson has to go. He's terrible.
Need a legitimate quarterback.
Offensive line must improve.

If those 3 things continue to linger, then we will continue winning 6-7 games every year. Hopson is cheap but we will never win any football games because he outcoached the other guy.

11-24-2018 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.