Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC/SEC Wars: SEC Strikes Back!
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation ACC/SEC Wars: SEC Strikes Back!
[This is copied from my blog down to the prescription part, so you don't have to read if you don't want; I mainly wanted to open it up to more comments on what's wrong!]

[Image: 2z89n4n.jpg]

When I was a boy I watched "Star Wars" and I left the theatre feeling pretty good. The underdog good guys had succeeded in destroying the Death Star and you got the feeling they were on their way to restoring freedom to the galaxy.

Then I saw "The Empire Strikes Back" and the air went out of the ball... Han Solo was frozen and taken away, Luke Skywalker got his arm cut off, and the good guys were on the run again.

That's how this ACC football season feels.* These last few years have seen the ACC unseat the SEC as national champions not just once, but twice, with two different teams. We've seen the ACC sweep the SEC on Rivalry Week, and we've seen the conference climb to #1 overall - above the SEC, Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12.

But this year, it feels like ACC football is on the run from the evil empire again. Florida State is down, its former head coach taken far away. Louisville is a mess, having lost its "arm" - its former Heisman QB. Virginia Tech has been losing players faster than the rebels lost soldiers on Planet Hoth.

Even Pitt has been a mixed bag: the Panthers looked good winning the ACC Coastal division (yay!) after first losing 3 of 4 non-conference games (ugh!).

Time to regroup, ACC! And while I don't think a daring rescue from College Station, TX is in the plan, I do think a "Return of the Jedi" type sequel is possible. How? Here's my prescription:

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2018/...-back.html

WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED? WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO FIX IT?
11-22-2018 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
RE: ACC/SEC Wars: SEC Strikes Back!
(11-22-2018 08:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  [This is copied from my blog down to the prescription part, so you don't have to read if you don't want; I mainly wanted to open it up to more comments on what's wrong!]

When I was a boy I watched "Star Wars" and I left the theatre feeling pretty good. The underdog good guys had succeeded in destroying the Death Star and you got the feeling they were on their way to restoring freedom to the galaxy.

Then I saw "The Empire Strikes Back" and the air went out of the ball... Han Solo was frozen and taken away, Luke Skywalker got his arm cut off, and the good guys were on the run again.

That's how this ACC football season feels.* These last few years have seen the ACC unseat the SEC as national champions not just once, but twice, with two different teams. We've seen the ACC sweep the SEC on Rivalry Week, and we've seen the conference climb to #1 overall - above the SEC, Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12.

But this year, it feels like ACC football is on the run from the evil empire again. Florida State is down, its former head coach taken far away. Louisville is a mess, having lost its "arm" - its former Heisman QB. Virginia Tech has been losing players faster than the rebels lost soldiers on Planet Hoth.

Even Pitt has been a mixed bag: the Panthers looked good winning the ACC Coastal division (yay!) after first losing 3 of 4 non-conference games (ugh!).

Time to regroup, ACC! And while I don't think a daring rescue from College Station, TX is in the plan, I do think a "Return of the Jedi" type sequel is possible. How? Here's my prescription:

I hope Georgia Tech can beat Georgia, so SEC won't send two teams to College Football Playoff.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2018 09:29 AM by ArQ.)
11-22-2018 09:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-22-2018 08:52 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  [This is copied from my blog down to the prescription part, so you don't have to read if you don't want; I mainly wanted to open it up to more comments on what's wrong!]

Normal variation in a cyclical sport. It doesn't need "fixing".
11-22-2018 10:54 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC

Yes, yes, you should all slice open the bellies of your Tauntauns and climb inside to survive the harsh world of your reality. And as with the Empire Strikes back you all need to go to the Dagobah system and finish your training with Master Yoda.

Seriously there is nothing wrong with the ACC that the SEC East hasn't experienced. At one time they had the Spurrier, and Fulmer and Urban to elevate that division. They had Peyton and Tim at QB. They cycled out. The East has been in a wasteland that only now they seem to be emerging from.

The ACC is no different. Just thank the FB gods that Dabo is still carrying your water or you would be in a temporary mess. But things aren't so dire in the ACC. Syracuse, Pitt and B.C. are trending up and FSU seems to improving each week. It may take a few years at Louisville, but these things work themselves out like a splinter. It hurts for awhile and then it seems fine.
11-22-2018 11:36 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-22-2018 09:29 AM)ArQ Wrote:  I hope Georgia Tech can beat Georgia, so SEC won't send two teams to College Football Playoff.

They may have won the last two weeks ... but they looked hideous in so doing.
11-22-2018 11:42 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Still hoping The Irish join Clemson and Alabama. I wouldn’t mind seeing Georgia or anyone else in The SEC in the CFP. Have to admit, I would enjoy watching The Big 10, PAC and Big 12 whine about being left out.

I believe Delaney bet The ACC would be the conference left out if Notre Dame won its way in. Delaney in a tough spot. Explaining how a one loss Big Ten team gets left out again. Scott and Bowlsby may become proponents of expanding the playoffs if their conferences keep getting left out.

Thank God and Dabo somebody is playing well in The ACC.
CJ
11-23-2018 06:42 AM
TerpsNPhoenix Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland & Elon

Good job on this Mark. It was a fun analogy. I read the 6 things you posted. Louisville getting Brohm, while not a forgone conclusion, seems to be trending that way. UL may have to pay out a good bit of money but it would be a great coming home story.

As for locking down Virginia, do you think that UVA & VT could really cooperate on that? Is either one just going to step back to let the other one have a recruit? Secondary to that, poaching from Maryland should probably be a good bit easier now with the issues surrounding the Terps football program. There's lots of talent there but you'll still be going up against Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State and WVU (and more). One the other side of this, Maryland has had a bit of success dipping down into the 757 but that probably will stop now and assist with the first part of locking down Virginia. Anyway, wanted to say I enjoyed the read. Keep up the good work.
11-23-2018 06:53 AM
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

If Notre Dame wins its way in, does it crank up the pressure on The Irish to join a conference. Everyone knows Delaney and his fantasy that The Irish might join his conference have been the reason college football leadership hasn’t changed rules to limit the CFP to conference champions.

As I mentioned in a previous post, does The Big Ten, Big 12 and PAC getting left out again force a change in the CFP rules. Curious how The ACC would vote if this happened.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2018 06:57 AM by CardinalJim.)
11-23-2018 06:56 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-23-2018 06:56 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  If Notre Dame wins its way in, does it crank up the pressure on The Irish to join a conference. Everyone knows Delaney and his fantasy that The Irish might join his conference have been the reason college football leadership hasn’t changed rules to limit the CFP to conference champions.

As I mentioned in a previous post, does The Big Ten, Big 12 and PAC getting left out again force a change in the CFP rules. Curious how The ACC would vote if this happened.
CJ

I have seen a bunch of speculation over the last few years that ND NOT getting into the playoffs would force it into a football conference.

This is the first one that suggests the same result if ND DOES get into the playoffs.

I don't think ND getting into the playoffs will force it into a conference. It will not be a bad thing for the Irish, in any form or fashion.

To channel Green:

CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING
11-23-2018 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(11-23-2018 08:58 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(11-23-2018 06:56 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  If Notre Dame wins its way in, does it crank up the pressure on The Irish to join a conference. Everyone knows Delaney and his fantasy that The Irish might join his conference have been the reason college football leadership hasn’t changed rules to limit the CFP to conference champions.

CJ

I have seen a bunch of speculation over the last few years that ND NOT getting into the playoffs would force it into a football conference.

This is the first one that suggests the same result if ND DOES get into the playoffs.

I don't think ND getting into the playoffs will force it into a conference. It will not be a bad thing for the Irish, in any form or fashion.

To channel Green:

CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING

I understand Notre Dame’s desire to remain independent. Think about it.
Delaney never wanted to do anything that might force your Irish into the waiting arms of The ACC. What if your guys win their way into the CFP. Not saying it would happen after only one season but what if....

Delaney is an arrogant SOB. He always assumed his conference would get an automatic birth into the CFP. They missed it last season and look to miss it again this year. If Notre Dame wins its way in it’s salt in the wounds of a beat up Big Ten.

Personally I like the idea of your Irish winning their way in. Anything to hoist a giant middle figure at the Big Ten I’m for.
CJ
11-23-2018 04:05 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

BTW Terry are you coming to Louisville for the season opener next season. Let us know because I know a number of us UofL fans would like to buy you a bourbon or two.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2018 04:08 PM by CardinalJim.)
11-23-2018 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.