Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wildfires
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Wildfires
Thought I would get info from my friends, left and right, on what is a mystery to me: why do we have these wildfires in California every year now?

When I was young, I never heard of wildfires in California. maybe it just wasn't news, or maybe in the way of youth I was just focused on my life.

But about 30-35 years ago, I started hearing about them. At first it seemed it was because they were such an unusual event, like a volcanic eruption. Now they are an annual event and widespread across California.

I have heard it is because of environmental laws there. I cannot make this make sense, but at least it would help explain why most of the fires are in California, and not Idaho or Colorado or Michigan or Maine or other heavily forested states.

I have heard it is because people are moving into high risk areas. That doesn't make sense either. It explains why houses are burning, not why there are fires in California.

I have heard global warming. I presume the globe has warmed in other places as well as Cali.

I live in a heavily forested area. On the west side, the forest comes to within 15 feet of my house, and in the south, 30 feet. About 30 years ago, a neighbor's kid with fireworks started a fire. Burned about ten acres, came within 150-200 feet of my house, but it never caught the woods on fire like I see on TV - burned mostly clearings. Why the difference?

Suggestions, friends?
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 09:42 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
11-16-2018 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Wildfires
(11-16-2018 09:37 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Thought I would get info from my friends, left and right, on what is a mystery to me: why do we have these wildfires in California every year now?

When I was young, I never heard of wildfires in California. maybe it just wasn't news, or maybe in the way of youth I was just focused on my life.

But about 30-35 years ago, I started hearing about them. At first it seemed it was because they were such an unusual event, like a volcanic eruption. Now they are an annual event and widespread across California.

I have heard it is because of environmental laws there. I cannot make this make sense, but at least it would help explain why most of the fires are in California, and not Idaho or Colorado or Michigan or Maine or other heavily forested states.

I have heard it is because people are moving into high risk areas. That doesn't make sense either. It explains why houses are burning, not why there are fires in California.

I have heard global warming. I presume the globe has warmed in other places as well as Cali.

I live in a heavily forested area. On the west side, the forest comes to within 15 feet of my house, and in the south, 30 feet. About 30 years ago, a neighbor's kid with fireworks started a fire. Burned about ten acres, came within 150-200 feet of my house, but it never caught the woods on fire like I see on TV - burned mostly clearings. Why the difference?

Suggestions, friends?

Climate change is a big factor. The air their is incredibly dry (<10% humidity) and their normal wet season has not started yet. Those two issues, more so than the elevated temperature, is what has driven the conditions that are ripe for fires.

Couple the conditions with forest management practices that (from my understanding) have resulted in less trees being thinned and controlled burns not clearing out the forests in appropriate ways, and you've basically got a giant tinderbox waiting to go up in smoke.

Costs have been increasing because of the expansion of development into these fire zones.
11-16-2018 12:59 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(11-16-2018 12:59 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Climate change is a big factor. The air their is incredibly dry (<10% humidity) and their normal wet season has not started yet. Those two issues, more so than the elevated temperature, is what has driven the conditions that are ripe for fires.
Couple the conditions with forest management practices that (from my understanding) have resulted in less trees being thinned and controlled burns not clearing out the forests in appropriate ways, and you've basically got a giant tinderbox waiting to go up in smoke.
Costs have been increasing because of the expansion of development into these fire zones.

The air there has been incredibly dry throughout recorded history. And if you position is going to be that a temperature increase in the range of fractions of degrees Celsius somehow creates a totally different fire environment, then you've got some 'splainin' to do.

Everyone I know who is expert in such matters insists that the forest management practices, which have been put in place through litigation in front of judges with lots of agenda but little or no understanding of the issues involved, are the major problems.

They are going to try to make PG&E the culprit, because a large utility makes a great whipping boy in the court of public opinion, and at the end of the day, getting a pound of flesh is all the left really cares about.
11-16-2018 01:05 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 12:59 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 09:37 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Thought I would get info from my friends, left and right, on what is a mystery to me: why do we have these wildfires in California every year now?

Suggestions, friends?

Climate change is a big factor. The air their is incredibly dry (<10% humidity) and their normal wet season has not started yet. Those two issues, more so than the elevated temperature, is what has driven the conditions that are ripe for fires.

has't the climate change been all over the world? Why has it affect California disproportionately? Why are there few fires in Maine, British Columbia, Russia, to name a few heavily forested places.
11-16-2018 01:33 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 01:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Suggestions, friends?

has't the climate change been all over the world? Why has it affect California disproportionately? Why are there few fires in Maine, British Columbia, Russia, to name a few heavily forested places.

Because changes in climate will affect the weather in different areas differently...
11-16-2018 02:36 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 02:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Suggestions, friends?

Because changes in climate will affect the weather in different areas differently...

How did it affect California differently from Idaho or B.C.?
11-16-2018 02:49 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 01:05 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 12:59 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Climate change is a big factor. The air their is incredibly dry (<10% humidity) and their normal wet season has not started yet. Those two issues, more so than the elevated temperature, is what has driven the conditions that are ripe for fires.

The air there has been incredibly dry throughout recorded history. And if you position is going to be that a temperature increase in the range of fractions of degrees Celsius somehow creates a totally different fire environment, then you've got some 'splainin' to do.

Everyone I know who is expert in such matters insists that the forest management practices, which have been put in place through litigation in front of judges with lots of agenda but little or no understanding of the issues involved, are the major problems.

They are going to try to make PG&E the culprit, because a large utility makes a great whipping boy in the court of public opinion, and at the end of the day, getting a pound of flesh is all the left really cares about.

Ah yes, contradict the meteorologists when describing the current level of humidity and that impact on the fires. There are numerous articles describing how the extremely low humidity, which has been dipping into the single digits, is very rare for these areas. In northern California, the average low humidity during the year is generally around 40%, certainly not sopping wet, but the low levels of humidity observed are outliers. At the moment, Northern Cali should have received around 4 to 5 inches of rain this autumn, and I believe it's at 0 inches.

As I said, the current low humidity weather and late-on set of the rainy season are the biggest factors in the forest fires, not changes in ambient temperatures.

That doesn't even touch on the southern fires, which aren't burning through forests, but houses and shrubs.

Climate change is generally causing California to experience later on-set wet seasons and drier days, both of which are contributing to the fires. Forest management is a component of the issue too.
11-16-2018 02:53 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 02:49 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Suggestions, friends?

Do you think the climate and weather is the same in Idaho and Houston?
11-16-2018 02:56 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 02:56 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Give me some details. what you have given me so far could explain why there are more liquor stores held up in Cleveland than in Pittsburg.

Hey, it must be global warming. different everywhere.
11-16-2018 04:35 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(11-16-2018 04:35 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 01:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  has't the climate change been all over the world? Why has it affect California disproportionately? Why are there few fires in Maine, British Columbia, Russia, to name a few heavily forested places.

Give me some details. what you have given me so far could explain why there are more liquor stores held up in Cleveland than in Pittsburg.

Is there enough smoke here? 03-wink
11-16-2018 04:47 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 01:33 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  has't the climate change been all over the world? Why has it affect California disproportionately? Why are there few fires in Maine, British Columbia, Russia, to name a few heavily forested places.

I mean, climate change will affect different areas differently, I don't know why that is a hard concept to follow.

It follows the exact same principle that climate is different in different areas. Your latitudinal location, proximity to major water bodies, to mountain ranges, to jet streams, etc. All those things affect your climate. So as that climate changes, one would expect the effects to be different place to place.
11-16-2018 05:09 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 05:09 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 02:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Because changes in climate will affect the weather in different areas differently...

I mean, climate change will affect different areas differently, I don't know why that is a hard concept to follow.

It follows the exact same principle that climate is different in different areas. Your latitudinal location, proximity to major water bodies, to mountain ranges, to jet streams, etc. All those things affect your climate. So as that climate changes, one would expect the effects to be different place to place.

What specifically did climate change do to make California wildfires?
11-16-2018 05:14 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 05:14 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 02:49 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  How did it affect California differently from Idaho or B.C.?

Aanndddd going back to my first response - the wet seasons has been delayed and the air right now has been drier than it historically has been. Those are both likely connected to climate change.

One aspect of climate change is the changing of rain/weather patterns and the increase in severe weather events.
11-16-2018 05:18 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 05:18 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 02:56 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Do you think the climate and weather is the same in Idaho and Houston?

Aanndddd going back to my first response - the wet seasons has been delayed and the air right now has been drier than it historically has been. Those are both likely connected to climate change.

One aspect of climate change is the changing of rain/weather patterns and the increase in severe weather events.

so how much drier is the air now than it was 35 years ago? Hard for me to see that a marginal change in humidity turned California into a tinderbox. maybe if the average humidity went from 75% to 35%, but not if it went from 75% to 73%.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 05:37 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
11-16-2018 05:28 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 05:28 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 04:35 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Give me some details. what you have given me so far could explain why there are more liquor stores held up in Cleveland than in Pittsburg.

so how much drier is the air now than it was 35 years ago? Hard for me to see that a marginal change in humidity turned California into a tinderbox. maybe if the average humidity went from 75% to 35%, but not if it went from 75% to 73%.

Let's put it this way - last week, the humidity in northern California was in the single digits.

The humidity in Death Valley is currently 11%.

edit: one of the things we expect to see with climate change is an increase in weather extremes. Northern California being drier than Death Valley is a weather extreme.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 06:01 PM by RiceLad15.)
11-16-2018 06:00 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(11-16-2018 06:00 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 05:09 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I mean, climate change will affect different areas differently, I don't know why that is a hard concept to follow.

Let's put it this way - last week, the humidity in northern California was in the single digits.

edit: one of the things we expect to see with climate change is an increase in weather extremes. Northern California being drier than Death Valley is a weather extreme.

No doubt, lower humidity leads to increased fire danger. No need to belabor that point.

What was the humidity in Death Valley and Northern California 35 years ago? If there is a significant change, then that might account for the increase in acreage burned and the severity of the fires.

But just telling me what it was last week tells me nothing.

I used to live in a very hot, dry place. Hotter and drier than northern California, for sure.

Well, I give up. My knee hurts. Didn't hurt at all 50 years ago. Must be climate change. Going to rain.

Done here. Disappointed in the lack of answers. But lad, at least you tried. Thanks.
11-16-2018 06:45 PM
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2018 06:45 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 05:14 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  What specifically did climate change do to make California wildfires?

No doubt, lower humidity leads to increased fire danger. No need to belabor that point.

What was the humidity in Death Valley and Northern California 35 years ago? If there is a significant change, then that might account for the increase in acreage burned and the severity of the fires.

I used to live in a very hot, dry place. Hotter and drier than northern California, for sure.

Well, I give up. My knee hurts. Didn't hurt at all 50 years ago. Must be climate change. Going to rain.

Done here. Disappointed in the lack of answers. But lad, at least you tried. Thanks.

You realize you’re asking me to provide you with very specific weather data, right? I’m not a meteorologist or someone who knows how to quickly and easily mine that data...
11-16-2018 08:48 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
All of this reminds me of one my favorite meteorological jokes that also pokes fun at the Mother Country. If you think of "climate" as generally connoting broadly predictable patterns, and "weather" commonly connoting inclement conditions more than pleasant ones, the following adage is perfect:

"Britain doesn't have climate, it only has weather."
11-16-2018 08:58 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
(11-16-2018 08:48 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 05:18 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Aanndddd going back to my first response - the wet seasons has been delayed and the air right now has been drier than it historically has been. Those are both likely connected to climate change.

You realize you’re asking me to provide you with very specific weather data, right? I’m not a meteorologist or someone who knows how to quickly and easily mine that data...

Yet you very vociferously jump onto the 'it is CLIMATE CHANGE' wagon.
11-17-2018 08:00 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2018 08:00 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 08:48 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 05:28 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  so how much drier is the air now than it was 35 years ago? Hard for me to see that a marginal change in humidity turned California into a tinderbox. maybe if the average humidity went from 75% to 35%, but not if it went from 75% to 73%.

Yet you very vociferously jump onto the 'it is CLIMATE CHANGE' wagon.

I wouldn’t characterize my comment as vociferous - I was relayinb information I’ve read in multiple articles/seen on multiple news reports from experts in their field.

I’ll trust the meteorologists who state that there have been changes in seasonal rains and humidity and other scientists that indicate that these changes are likely influenced by climate change.
11-17-2018 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.