Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good pub for UC football
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Good pub for UC football
I came across a few things that weren't necessarily thread-worthy, but reflect well on UC football or are at least good to know. Feel free to add to the list as you come across anything (e.g. expert analyst comments, awards, etc.)

11-14-2018 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

RE: Good pub for UC football
[Image: Dr-4CYnW4AE8BHG.jpg]

11-14-2018 01:44 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-14-2018 01:44 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  [Image: Dr-4CYnW4AE8BHG.jpg]

Assuming this is a computerized rating system, I wonder how far off McClelland is from also being ranked, or how biased the computer is to TDs.

McClelland has more yards and a higher YPC (and meets the minimum carry requirement) but two less TDs.

11-14-2018 02:16 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Dang, I thought this thread would be about beer halls.

11-14-2018 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(11-14-2018 01:44 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  [Image: Dr-4CYnW4AE8BHG.jpg]

Very interesting that McCelland isn't up there with, Tavion.

mc

11-14-2018 03:47 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(11-14-2018 02:16 PM)dubcat14 Wrote:  Assuming this is a computerized rating system, I wonder how far off McClelland is from also being ranked, or how biased the computer is to TDs.

McClelland has more yards and a higher YPC (and meets the minimum carry requirement) but two less TDs.

I don't know all the details but I think they hire a bunch of football fans to grade each play on film by their established set criteria and then cross check each one or have it reviewed by a supervisor or something. I'm guessing a long untouched TD run (ala McClelland) gets a very good grade but I can see how that might also be largely the result of excellent blocking whereas a shorter run where the RB breaks tackles and drags guys along gets a higher one (ala Thomas).

But it's interesting to see USF's Ford up there just behind Thomas. Not a knock on McClelland, but Ford seems like the kind of player UC wants McClelland to be but is currently an even harder runner (I thought Ford looked terrific btw - kind of reminded me of Mike Boone's first couple of years at UC).

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2018 04:33 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
11-14-2018 04:31 PM
Advertisement

Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...op-25-team

No. 24 Cincinnati

Luke Fickell has done a masterful job at Cincinnati, leading the Bearcats to their first CFP ranking. But he is only just getting started. The Bearcats have one of the youngest rosters in all of college football, with 73 percent of their roster underclassmen. That includes starting quarterback Desmond Ridder and running back Michael Warren II, who has already rushed for 1,000 yards on the season. Add in running back Gerrid Doaks, who hasn't played this season because of a groin injury, and the offense should be even better next year. Meanwhile, a strong core on a defense ranked No. 6 in the nation is also set to return. The arrow is firmly pointed up for the Bearcats. -- Adelson

11-14-2018 05:58 PM
bearcatseminole Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC & N. Dakota
(11-14-2018 05:58 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...op-25-team

No. 24 Cincinnati

Luke Fickell has done a masterful job at Cincinnati, leading the Bearcats to their first CFP ranking. But he is only just getting started. The Bearcats have one of the youngest rosters in all of college football, with 73 percent of their roster underclassmen. That includes starting quarterback Desmond Ridder and running back Michael Warren II, who has already rushed for 1,000 yards on the season. Add in running back Gerrid Doaks, who hasn't played this season because of a groin injury, and the offense should be even better next year. Meanwhile, a strong core on a defense ranked No. 6 in the nation is also set to return. The arrow is firmly pointed up for the Bearcats. -- Adelson

I think Andrea liked us in our Big East days...she did have some decent coverage of the Big East when ESPN used to run the conference blogs (do they still do that? I remember the Big East blog getting worse and worse every year...)

11-14-2018 06:02 PM
djtothemoney Offline
2nd String

(11-14-2018 06:02 PM)bearcatseminole Wrote:  
(11-14-2018 05:58 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...op-25-team

No. 24 Cincinnati

I think Andrea liked us in our Big East days...she did have some decent coverage of the Big East when ESPN used to run the conference blogs (do they still do that? I remember the Big East blog getting worse and worse every year...)

They do, but not for G5.

11-15-2018 10:41 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
UC v UCF on TV lots during Maction last night.

11-15-2018 06:26 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

Herbie breaks down the biggest games of the weekend of which there are 2: Syracuse/ND and UC/UCF.

FYI: The link also includes the ESPN reporters' picks of 4 games this weekend but when 14/17 pick UCF I'm not sure if that qualifies as good pub or not...

11-15-2018 11:08 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

Don't forget to VOTE if you are so inclined!

11-15-2018 11:27 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I think this counts as good pub:

11-15-2018 11:39 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

On this subject, I'm always quick to criticize local media for the absence of coverage for the Bearcats.

But compliments are due to Channel 9; I've been pleasantly surprised all week by their coverage. They are doing a one hour pre-game show with Broo and Popovich before Saturday night's telecast (which will be on their station). Not only that, they have been promoting that daily in their morning and evening newscasts. Even better: feature stories each day during either the news or sports block.

One would think this would be the norm, but sadly, in this town we know it's not. So hats off to Channel 9 for covering UC football this week. I'm wondering if 5, 12 or 19 have stepped up their coverage for our top 25 team? Seems to me it's a "feel good" story in our sea of hopeless, hapless NFL and MLB franchises of late.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2018 11:50 AM by OKIcat.)
11-16-2018 08:28 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
Good pub? It's hard to beat Murphy's.

11-16-2018 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ucdsk Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Bearcats
Too bad Brew is part of the hour program...not much good to say about UC. Popo is pretty good though. 03-lmfao

11-16-2018 09:10 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-16-2018 08:28 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  On this subject, I'm always quick to criticize local media for the absence of coverage for the Bearcats.

But compliments are due to Channel 9; I've been pleasantly surprised all week by their coverage. They are doing a one hour pre-game show with Broo and Popovich before Saturday night's telecast (which will be on their station). Not only that, they have been promoting that daily in their morning and evening newscasts. Even better: feature stories each day during either the news or sports block.

One would think this would be the norm, but sadly, in this town we know its not. So hats off to Channel 9 for covering UC football this week. I'm wondering if 5, 12 or 19 have stepped up their coverage for our top 25 team? Seems to me it's a "feel good" story in our sea of hopeless, hapless NFL and MLB franchises of late.

Channel 5 and Fox 19 usually give the best UC coverage. Kudos to Channel 9 for stepping it up this go around. Channel 12 is a lost case however.

On a related note, just saw on twitter that James Rapien is leaving WLW to take a job in Cleveland. Sounds like a promotion for him. Hopefully they replace him with someone who is a good UC fan.

11-16-2018 10:27 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(11-16-2018 09:10 AM)ucdsk Wrote:  Too bad Brew is part of the hour program...not much good to say about UC. Popo is pretty good though. 03-lmfao

Eh, Broo didn't grow up here. He's from Newark. His kids are Tampa Bay Bucs fans. He started his career in Oklahoma City, then Tulsa, covering Big 8 and SWC games for a decade. He also was the announcer for Maryland football and basketball in the late 90s.

He's a good sports reporter. But he's got a pretty national perspective. And right now the national perspective is that Cincinnati plays in a small-time conference.

11-16-2018 11:54 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-16-2018 11:54 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 09:10 AM)ucdsk Wrote:  Too bad Brew is part of the hour program...not much good to say about UC. Popo is pretty good though. 03-lmfao

Eh, Broo didn't grow up here. He's from Newark. His kids are Tampa Bay Bucs fans. He started his career in Oklahoma City, then Tulsa, covering Big 8 and SWC games for a decade. He also was the announcer for Maryland football and basketball in the late 90s.

He's a good sports reporter. But he's got a pretty national perspective. And right now the national perspective is that Cincinnati plays in a small-time conference.

You are partially right-- I think he does a good job with the professional sports and is half-way decent about hoops, but I think he has a lot of bad takes when it comes to college football (not just UC related). Its clearly not his thing. FWIW I love it when he does music trivia.

By the way he has lived here for over 30 years. I think he should have a better handle on what is going on in Clifton.

11-16-2018 01:40 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2018 01:40 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 11:54 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

You are partially right-- I think he does a good job with the professional sports and is half-way decent about hoops, but I think he has a lot of bad takes when it comes to college football (not just UC related). Its clearly not his thing. FWIW I love it when he does music trivia.

By the way he has lived here for over 30 years. I think he should have a better handle on what is going on in Clifton.

Agree completely. I think he's a pretty versatile and talented broadcaster. He's got a soft spot for his Ohio Bobcats and the MAC and, unless he was just trying to provoke callers at times, seemed to have a complete lack of understanding that the old Big East and even today's AAC operate on an entirely different level financially and competitively from the MAC. A Cincinnati sportscaster should know enough about UC to understand the difference.

It's great to love your school, but most realize Athens, OH isn't a TV market ESPN or FOX covets. OU fits nicely in the MAC niche and I don't see that changing.

11-16-2018 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.