Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Outlook on any possibile DC for Houston
Agust Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
I know the season hasn't ended... but for Houston it pretty much has. It was promising but with a defense that is about dead last in every category it was just a matter of time before the wheels finally came off.

I'm sure we will have a new DC by next year. Does anybody have a clue or hope on whom it might be?
11-12-2018 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(11-12-2018 04:53 PM)Agust Wrote:  I know the season hasn't ended... but for Houston it pretty much has. It was promising but with a defense that is about dead last in every category it was just a matter of time before the wheels finally came off.

I'm sure we will have a new DC by next year. Does anybody have a clue or hope on whom it might be?

I wish we had the money to go after someone from the alabama tree.

Sent from my Necronomicon using DemonTalk
11-12-2018 05:05 PM
coogrfan Offline
All American

RE: Outlook on any possibile DC for Houston
(11-12-2018 05:05 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 04:53 PM)Agust Wrote:  I know the season hasn't ended... but for Houston it pretty much has. It was promising but with a defense that is about dead last in every category it was just a matter of time before the wheels finally came off.

I'm of the exact opposite view. Find someone who is doing more with less.
11-12-2018 05:55 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-12-2018 05:55 PM)coogrfan Wrote:  

Good point! When you have great players they can cover for alot of mistakes in coaching.

11-12-2018 05:57 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

(11-12-2018 05:55 PM)coogrfan Wrote:  

I second that. Coordinators at that level are looking at head coaching gigs. And it's hard to tell if it's the players or the coaching since they are dealing with nothing but 5* athletes.

I hear the coordinators from utah state are great at dealing with the spread type offense. And there are a slew of top teams in defense that belong in the G5 we can go after.

We have the personnel just need the right coach.
11-12-2018 06:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

Some guys I'd at least take a look at---

Bob Diaco (need a little crazy to spice up that bland Applesauce)
David Reeves--DC UAB
Mike Ekeler--DC N Texas St
Vic Koenning--Troy DC
Blake Baker--LaTech DC
11-12-2018 06:08 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(11-12-2018 06:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Some guys I'd at least take a look at---

David Reeves--DC UAB
Vic Koenning--Troy DC
Blake Baker--LaTech DC

just no-
Diaco- already fired at Nebraska
Baker- nothing noteworthy at all about defense, torched few games

would take but wouldn't love-
reeves/ekeler- uab/unt has played no-one to quantify worth of their defense
Koening - gave up 56 to Boise, the only legitimate offense they played

this is the list i made on coogfans:

- Bert Watts- Fresno’s DC

-Corey Raymond- LSU’s DB coach since 2012 (known as the best db unit in the country) would also be a HUGE boost in recruiting

-zac spavital- texas tech co-dc (built the jackboyz in houston)

-Ikaika Malloe- Washingtons dline coach for 3 years (washington has had a top 10 defense since he has been there and part of a top 10 defense at utah state)

-Michael Zordich- Michigans DB coach for the past 4 years (nfl playing and coaching experience)…#1 pass defense in 2018, #1 pass defense in 2017, #1 pass defense in 2016, #3 pass defense in 2015
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 06:21 PM by pesik.)
11-12-2018 06:18 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-12-2018 06:18 PM)pesik Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 06:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Some guys I'd at least take a look at---

David Reeves--DC UAB
Vic Koenning--Troy DC
Blake Baker--LaTech DC

just no-
Diaco- already fired at nebraska
Baker- nothing not worthy at all about defense, torched few games

reeves/ekeler- uab/unt has played no-one to quantify worth of defense
koening - gave up 5 to Boise, only legitimate offense they played

-Corey Raymond- LSU’s DB coach since 2012 (known as the best db unit in the country) would also be a HUGE boost in recruiting

-Ikaika Malloe- Washingtons dline coach for 3 years (washington has had a top 10 defense since he has been there and part of a top 10 defense at utah state)

-Michael Zordich- Michigans DB coach for the past 4 years (nfl playing and coaching experience)…#1 pass defense in 2018, #1 pass defense in 2017, #1 pass defense in 2016, #3 pass defense in 2015

Raymomd would be my top choice, to help out with applewhites bland recruiting.

11-12-2018 06:21 PM
H-Town Offline
Bench Warmer

Spav... all the way. Big time recruiter, former UH coach and knows Gibbs style of defense.
11-12-2018 06:30 PM
Attackcoog Offline

David Reeves--DC UAB
Vic Koenning--Troy DC
Blake Baker--LaTech DC

just no-

Legit criticism. Basically, here is what Im looking at----guys with multiple years of successful DC experience, guys we can afford, preferably guys with some recruiting ties to Texas or Louisiana. All the DC's I threw out there guys have defenses in the top 50. Diaco had good defenses at Notre Dame and UConn for years--so Im not that concerned about one year at Nebraska (especially since that team was a dumpster fire when he was brought in). The biggest knock on Diaco is he is little strange and he has no recruiting ties in the south. Other than that--he'd be a solid DC hire (plus it would be good for Major to have another former HC to lean on).

Im not crazy about brand new DC's with little to no experience. Not saying it cant work out--but I'd rather go with someone who has been doing it a while. Watts is a first year DC. Spavital has one year as co-DC (we all know thats Gibbs show--Spav is not calling the game at Tech). Mallow and Zordich have zero experience. Only Spav has any Texas/Louisiana recruiting ties. Of the group you present---Spav would be my choice---but Im not really enthusiastic about any of them. I want a guy with more experience and a longer track record of DC success.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 06:48 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-12-2018 06:46 PM
Agust Offline
1st String

Solid takes... One thing I'm worried about is that applewhite has been hit and miss with the coordinators.

He hired Brian who was horrible at offense and of course D who is an abomination on defense.

I like the gutsy hire of Briles. But I doubt he will lean on Todd's advise on who to hire for the defensive spot again. And since he picked D' in the first place I think he's clueless on that department.

It's definitely going to be a nervous off season. I expect us to make a move really quick and make a big hire to try and curb any decommits on the defensive side.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 07:17 PM by Agust.)
11-12-2018 07:16 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
As a Navy fan, I would support Diaco as Houston DC
11-12-2018 07:24 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

(11-12-2018 06:46 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

David Reeves--DC UAB
Vic Koenning--Troy DC
Blake Baker--LaTech DC

just no-

Legit criticism. Basically, here is what Im looking at----guys with multiple years of successful DC experience, guys we can afford, preferably guys with some recruiting ties to Texas or Louisiana. All the DC's I threw out there guys have defenses in the top 50. Diaco had good defenses at Notre Dame and UConn for years--so Im not that concerned about one year at Nebraska (especially since that team was a dumpster fire when he was brought in). The biggest knock on Diaco is he is little strange and he has no recruiting ties in the south. Other than that--he'd be a solid DC hire (plus it would be good for Major to have another former HC to lean on).

Im not crazy about brand new DC's with little to no experience. Not saying it cant work out--but I'd rather go with someone who has been doing it a while. Watts is a first year DC. Spavital has one year as co-DC (we all know thats Gibbs show--Spav is not calling the game at Tech). Mallow and Zordich have zero experience. Only Spav has any Texas/Louisiana recruiting ties. Of the group you present---Spav would be my choice---but Im not really enthusiastic about any of them. I want a guy with more experience and a longer track record of DC success.

an experienced elite dc that we can hire would be great...but I checked there aren't any elite dc with experience with a legitimate chance for us to hire..

I don't want to have an "exposed" potential defense, the kind that only looks good vs lower competition, but has no business with the big boys... look at coach D's stats before Miami, he owned the MAC...but was exposed in Miami in the acc...

reaves at uab has like 17seniors in his defensive 2 deep...theyve played no one and are so senior heavy all of it could be exposed on a harder schedule with regular depth

all the coaches I picked have spent extended periods with their current elite defenses, it would be crazy to think they didn't know the defense they are in

--- i didnt note it earlier but watts/malloe have DC experience in the fcs

-- zordichs db stats are borderline dominant to not think he doesn't know what he is doing...the #1 pass defense for the last 3 years...(was also a nfl db coach)

-- zac was easily the most essential assistant of the Houston defensive resurgence, i know gibbs calls the pays, but spav is 6years with Gibbs now, i guarantee he knows his defense

-- Raymond is probably the only hire we could make that could bring in the talent to impact next year ..he's brought in over 10 5stars to lsu all defensive guys in the last 5 years alone

look around nationally, watts was in his 1st year at dc at Fresno, Niu dc is also 1st year, so is app states DC... there are tons of 1st year DC that are dominant, As long as they came from top defenses
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 07:28 PM by pesik.)
11-12-2018 07:25 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-12-2018 07:16 PM)Agust Wrote:  Solid takes... One thing I'm worried about is that applewhite has been hit and miss with the coordinators.

He hired Brian who was horrible at offense and of course D who is an abomination on defense.

I like the gutsy hire of Briles. But I doubt he will lean on Todd's advise on who to hire for the defensive spot again. And since he picked D' in the first place I think he's clueless on that department.

It's definitely going to be a nervous off season. I expect us to make a move really quick and make a big hire to try and curb any decommits on the defensive side.

Here's something we talked about on other sites---we literally couldnt have picked a worse defensive strategy to mate to our fast paced, low time of possession offense. Not only is D'onofrio not a great DC--but his preferred defensive style (conservative, passive, bend-but-dont break) defense lends itself to long grinding drives that cause the defense to remain on the field longer. This has meant dramatically more snaps for the defense and fewer quick 3-and-outs. That means fewer possessions for the offense--but more improtantly---all those extra snaps leads to a a higher risk of defensive injuries (your playing like 100 snaps a game--way more than the typical defense---statistically, your going to get more injuries).

The best style for this team is going to be an aggressive high pressure defense that generates more negative plays, more 3-and-outs, forces more mistakes, and hopefully generates more turnovers. More 3-and-outs means more possessions for your highly productive offense. It also means your defense plays less snaps, is less tired late in games, and suffers fewer injuries. Yes, a more aggressive defense will give up more big plays---but your 45 point a game offense (perhaps more with more possessions) should be able to offset that weak point.

So--when we look around---the DC's we look at need to be guys who succeed using an aggressive high pressure defensive scheme. Food for thought.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 07:41 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-12-2018 07:35 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-12-2018 07:16 PM)Agust Wrote:  Solid takes... One thing I'm worried about is that applewhite has been hit and miss with the coordinators.

Applewhite may very well be gone at the end of the year too.

11-12-2018 07:53 PM
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

(11-12-2018 07:53 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Losing to Tulane at home has a history of being the kiss of death.
11-12-2018 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-12-2018 08:15 PM)billetingman1 Wrote:  
(11-12-2018 07:53 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Losing to Tulane at home has a history of being the kiss of death.

Very true. If he becomes the first coach to lose to them back to back in almost 20 years its over.

(This post was last modified: 11-12-2018 11:37 PM by Westhoff123.)
11-12-2018 08:16 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
I can't find San Diego State's DC, but he appears to be doing a great job replacing Danny Gonzales. Their offense is not helping their defense nearly as much as last year when they control the ball with great running. Not so much this year. I can't seem to find him in my searches for some reason. However he is needs to be looked at as a top candidate, if he is willing.
11-12-2018 10:32 PM
HoustonCougarNation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cougars, Frogs
Not sure if it's a good idea to bring someone back to Houston who was already at Houston!
11-14-2018 02:15 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(11-14-2018 02:15 PM)HoustonCougarNation Wrote:  Not sure if it's a good idea to bring someone back to Houston who was already at Houston!

Ehhh---depends on why he left.
11-14-2018 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.