End of the homestand....
11-11-2018 12:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Game Day: Goshen
Duke is playing Army on ESPN. After looking like the '96 Bulls against Kentucky, Duke only leads by 6 with 8:00 left in the 1st half.

How? Army has been drilling their perimeter shots.
11-11-2018 01:33 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Duke has also turned the ball over a lot, both forced and unforced TOs. I'm under NO illusion that we will win, but if we can take advantage of turnovers we may be able to keep the final score respectable.
11-11-2018 01:42 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Game Day: Goshen
Early minutes for Ellison and McAdoo. I think today we are going to see more of a normal rotation as we gear up for Duke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11-11-2018 02:18 PM
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(11-11-2018 02:18 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Early minutes for Ellison and McAdoo. I think today we are going to see more of a normal rotation as we gear up for Duke.

Right on cue both are starting to knock em down. Going to need both of them contributing off the bench this year.

11-11-2018 02:23 PM
mpleafan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU, U of M
I almost feel bad. This Goshen team is very....not good.

However after 2 close games, it is nice to be blowing a team out. 35-9 8 minutes left in the 1st.
11-11-2018 02:26 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Now this is what we expected in the first two contests. If we are to make a run at the NCAA tournament, we must be dominating inferior opponents. No room for let downs.

11-11-2018 02:34 PM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Cool to see Jon Tropf, an EMU alum (as they said), leading a college program. Didn't know him too well but was at EMU his last couple years here, while he was a manager. He's probably only 28 or 29 years old.
11-11-2018 02:39 PM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

(11-11-2018 02:39 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Cool to see Jon Tropf, an EMU alum (as they said), leading a college program. Didn't know him too well but was at EMU his last couple years here, while he was a manager. He's probably only 28 or 29 years old.
Keep an eye on his career. Eventually EMU will be hiring another coach.
11-11-2018 03:24 PM
emussuperfan Offline
Heisman

Still gave up to many points and way to many 3s.
11-11-2018 05:46 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

After 3 games I am duly unimpressed so far. As Carl pointed out our defense has not been good and we indeed are surrendering far too many 3 point opportunities. Also nobody is raving about our passing or our offensive execution either. We are, however, 3 and 0.

This is the time of year where we learn what we actually have. Terry Harris started the first three games last year before we found out that he actually was probably our least effective player. Can we really play
Toure and JT4 together and really play a good zone? Is Toure the real deal? How much has Groce progressed? A lot of the questions may be answered in Durham on Wednesday night, or at least we will have a bunch more information. That is what this time of the season presents.

Things I like:
We have some good guards. Parris is very quick, Ellison and McAdoo look improved and Jackson is shooting very well. Silver handles the ball well and he is by no means a runt at 6'5".

Toure is far more talented than advertised. King is physically bigger and he and Jones present an opportunity to bother MAC big men off the bench with aggressive play and no fear for their foul trouble.

Minnie has not shot the ball well but we know that it is an aberration, he will come around. JT4 has not performed to expectations but that as well should correct itself.

I'm not pushing the panic button just yet.
11-11-2018 06:46 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I was at the game today and from my perspective EMU should never ever play a school like Goshen as an official game. I truthfully believe there are a couple of PSL schools that would have beaten them.

EMU could have scored 125 points if Murphy would have stayed in his full court press the entire game. It looked like we were playing a highschool JV team.

Some of you hit the nail on the head in that we gave up way too many uncontested 3 point shots. I believe EagleSam stated in an earlier post that it was a failed experiment last year when Murphy played Thompson at the wing position in the zone. At 6'10" and 240lbs, he doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of 6'-6'3" D1 guards. If Murphy played man to man defense, then Boobie (this is what JT called Boubucar) could guard the 5 and JT the 4. We would have a favorable outcome on most nights around the country.

Boobie is damn good!! The best center since Grant Long. Yep I think he's better than Theron or at a minimum his equivalent!!
11-11-2018 10:04 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(11-11-2018 10:04 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I was at the game today and from my perspective EMU should never ever play a school like Goshen as an official game. I truthfully believe there are a couple of PSL schools that would have beaten them.

EMU could have scored 125 points if Murphy would have stayed in his full court press the entire game. It looked like we were playing a highschool JV team.

Some of you hit the nail on the head in that we gave up way too many uncontested 3 point shots. I believe EagleSam stated in an earlier post that it was a failed experiment last year when Murphy played Thompson at the wing position in the zone. At 6'10" and 240lbs, he doesn't have the quickness to stay in front of 6'-6'3" D1 guards. If Murphy played man to man defense, then Boobie (this is what JT called Boubucar) could guard the 5 and JT the 4. We would have a favorable outcome on most nights around the country.

Boobie is damn good!! The best center since Grant Long. Yep I think he's better than Theron or at a minimum his equivalent!!

Luckey I agree that Goshen probably could not beat an elite high school team. We do have to play home games, Goshen comes cheap and we also support their coach, an EMU alum. That's all I can figure.

Of course you are on point with regards to the man to man. Unfortunately there are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and Rob Murphy will play the zone. Also it is much easier to switch to the zone after you have taught players the basic defensive fundamentals that the man to man defense requires than it is to switch from a steal oriented zone defense to man to man. Thus I have reluctantly accepted that we will ALWAYS play zone while Murphy is coaching our team.
11-12-2018 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.