Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Craft beer industry in trouble?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Craft beer industry in trouble?
Quote:But now, there are signs that the boom is slowing, and it looks like the bubble might be ready to burst with news that craft brew juggernaut Lagunitas is laying off 12 percent of its workforce.

The cuts, totaling over 100 jobs from across all the departments, will come from the Petaluma, California headquarters as well as the production plant in Chicago and a taproom in Seattle. "The craft beer market is rapidly evolving and, in many ways, more challenging. More breweries, more choices..." CEO Maria Stipp wrote in a statement released on the site. The announcement does not sound optimistic despite the fact that the company's IPA was the top-selling IPA in American restaurants and taprooms last year and that CEO Maria Stipp told Brewbound just a few months ago that Laguintas's sales were up through the first half of 2018.

https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/...craft-beer
11-08-2018 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Craft beer industry in trouble?
Cali/Seattle/Chicago does not seem "craft" to me.
11-08-2018 10:50 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Because craft beer is the soy of beer and it sucks. This is not complicated.
11-08-2018 11:32 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
The big "craft" beer makers are barely craft. Places like Breckenridge churn out hundreds of thousands of gallons worth. Breckenridge has a distribution partnership with AB. There are good craft beers, for sure. You will however pay more for them due to economies of scale. And you won't be able to find them very far away from where they were brewed. True craft beer is Highland and Green Man and all those other hippie operations in Asheville.
11-09-2018 12:04 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Yeah Starbucks is craft coffee lol.
11-09-2018 12:22 AM
banker Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(11-08-2018 11:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Because craft beer is the soy of beer and it sucks. This is not complicated.

You, sir, have made a wise statement.
11-09-2018 12:28 AM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(11-08-2018 10:45 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
Quote:But now, there are signs that the boom is slowing, and it looks like the bubble might be ready to burst with news that craft brew juggernaut Lagunitas is laying off 12 percent of its workforce.

The cuts, totaling over 100 jobs from across all the departments, will come from the Petaluma, California headquarters as well as the production plant in Chicago and a taproom in Seattle.

Whenever I hear of Petaluma, California, I always think of Snoopy and this:
[Image: Snoopy-and-Charlie-Brown-Talking-About-P...=840%2C220]
[Image: petaluma.jpg] [Image: peanuts1960s-08.jpg] [Image: WWC%2BPetaluma-17.JPG]
[Image: WWC%2BPetaluma-15.JPG]

The History of the World’s Wristwrestling Championship - Part Two:1962 to 1969

In 1968, Snoopy attempted to enter the World Wrist Wrestling Championship in Petaluma, CA, only to be disqualified for not having a thumb. http://www.positivelypetaluma.com/tag/snoopy/
11-09-2018 12:38 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Petaluma, CA: Home to TWiT. Though almost all the TechTV luster has faded from the operation. The only show they have that really feels like it gives a rip about quality information and entertainment is Security Now. The New Screen Savers feels more like shameless unadulterated consumerism with the off light hearted foray into serious science news.
11-09-2018 12:43 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
Sorry. Craft beer is ok. I have issues paying $12 for a sixer.
11-09-2018 07:22 AM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
The more a beer costs the more it sucks. Tried dozens of different types. All made my mouth dry and made me sneeze. Give me a dos equis lager on draft with a squeeze of lime and I thank you.
11-09-2018 07:49 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(11-08-2018 11:32 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Because craft beer is the soy of beer and it sucks. This is not complicated.

Light beers were soy long before crafts.
11-09-2018 07:53 AM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I live in Asheville... aka the craft beer capital of the US. Business is booming.
11-09-2018 08:26 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(11-09-2018 12:04 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The big "craft" beer makers are barely craft. Places like Breckenridge churn out hundreds of thousands of gallons worth. Breckenridge has a distribution partnership with AB. There are good craft beers, for sure. You will however pay more for them due to economies of scale. And you won't be able to find them very far away from where they were brewed. True craft beer is Highland and Green Man and all those other hippie operations in Asheville.

North Carolina has a ton of small craft brewers from the coast to the mountains. I keep saying that a saturation level is coming but..they keep opening up constantly.

Mother Earth in Kinston is probably one of the most interesting of the bunch.
11-09-2018 08:36 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Craft beer priced itself right out of my fridge.

Currently going through a case of Leinenkugel's Original. Just perfect. Also started a six pack of Rolling Rock to re-live my HS glory days.
11-09-2018 08:36 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I like craft beer, but I don't need to go to a bar, restaurant, or grocery store and have a choice of 40 different IPAs that all taste the same. In fact, I've been IPA'ed out for several years. Whenever I see a Bourbon Barrel (rare), Belgian Tripel (extremely rare) or anything else different, that is what I buy. The article mentions Lagunitas. My grocery store carries 4 of their beers... all IPAs with little difference in any of them... and I can never find their Brown Sugga ale... the one non-IPA they make.. anywhere. And I don't want watermelon, pineapple, or pumpkin flavors in my beer either, which is the other type of crap that makes the shelves aside from the IPAs.
11-09-2018 08:37 AM
fsquid Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(11-09-2018 07:22 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Sorry. Craft beer is ok. I have issues paying $12 for a sixer.
There you go. I go to taprooms and support the local guys, but i rarely pick up a six pack at the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
11-09-2018 08:40 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(11-09-2018 08:40 AM)fsquid Wrote:  
(11-09-2018 07:22 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Sorry. Craft beer is ok. I have issues paying $12 for a sixer.
There you go. I go to taprooms and support the local guys, but i rarely pick up a six pack at the store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app

I have 3 kids so I usually go the store route, but unless we are having a fire pit, a 6-pack usually gets me a week so whether it is $4, $12, or $20 is inconsequential. In fact, I have no problem spending over $20 for a create your own 6-pack filled with Belgian imports at Total Wine. They moved our Total Wine to a very inconvenient and congested location in the suburban concrete jungle so that doesn't happen much. 5-10 years ago the price would have been an issue, but I don't drink much anymore and when I do, it is usually a single beer or glass of Bourbon between the time the kids go to bed and the time I go to bed.
11-09-2018 08:50 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Quote:Total Wine. They moved our Total Wine to a very inconvenient and congested location in the suburban concrete jungle so that doesn't happen much.

Same think by me here in Minnesota. I am genuinely curious as to their real estate model.
11-09-2018 09:27 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(11-09-2018 09:27 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
Quote:Total Wine. They moved our Total Wine to a very inconvenient and congested location in the suburban concrete jungle so that doesn't happen much.

Same think by me here in Minnesota. I am genuinely curious as to their real estate model.

I'm sure their sales are up at their new location. Just for me personally, it went from 15 minutes in and out roundtrip in an older shopping center to an hour long ordeal into a newer "mix-use" strip mall a bit further away and adjacent to WalMart, Sam's, Lowes, Trader Joe's, Kohls, the mall and every other store and chain restaurant that attracts the masses within 1/4 mile.
11-09-2018 09:37 AM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
My city of 60,000 has at a minimum 10 craft breweries. At some point the market was going to get too saturated...

Also, fun fact, the founder of Total Wine will be my representative in Congress next year.
11-09-2018 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.