Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cord Cutting Acceleration
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Cord Cutting Acceleration
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk...919471002/

Cable and satellite TV providers lost about 1.1 million subscribers during the July to September period, the largest quarterly loss ever – and the first time the industry lost more than 1 million subscribers in a quarter.

The writing is on the wall. Makes perfect sense why Disney is scrambling to launch a streaming service of its own. Everyone is kicking the tires on traditional cable model.
11-08-2018 11:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Cord Cutting Acceleration
(11-08-2018 11:49 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk...919471002/

Cable and satellite TV providers lost about 1.1 million subscribers during the July to September period, the largest quarterly loss ever – and the first time the industry lost more than 1 million subscribers in a quarter.

The writing is on the wall. Makes perfect sense why Disney is scrambling to launch a streaming service of its own. Everyone is kicking the tires on traditional cable model.

But how many switched over to a service that is just like cable/satellite except the user brings their own box and the delivery infrastructure is the consumer's problem? YouTube TV and the like are just like cable/sat with difference being responsibility for delivery infrastructure.
11-08-2018 12:08 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-08-2018 12:08 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 11:49 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk...919471002/

But how many switched over to a service that is just like cable/satellite except the user brings their own box and the delivery infrastructure is the consumer's problem? YouTube TV and the like are just like cable/sat with difference being responsibility for delivery infrastructure.

Exactly. At my home, because I have multiple televisions all wired to cable, the rental fee for the cable boxes themselves represents a significant part of my monthly bill.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 12:36 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-08-2018 12:35 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

The OTT services are cheaper, there is healthy competition amongst them, and you can cancel anytime with 1 click. Three things the current cable industry is not.

These differences make the OTT product much more consumer friendly then cable/satellite
11-08-2018 12:44 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(11-08-2018 12:44 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

The OTT services are cheaper, there is healthy competition amongst them, and you can cancel anytime with 1 click. Three things the current cable industry is not.

These differences make the OTT product much more consumer friendly then cable/satellite

They also allow people in New Jersey to keep Rutgers off their TVs, as the good lord intended.
11-08-2018 01:00 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

All true. That said, the streaming alternatives are also less reliable, more prone to digitalization and buffering, and very tedious and slow when it comes to jumping from channel to channel. For instance, flipping back and forth between multiple games is not a great experience with the streaming options.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 01:34 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-08-2018 01:34 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

But you are still paying carriage fees for preset bundles.

It is absolutely still the old cable/satellite model the only change is who is responsible for the box to decode the signal and the method for bringing the signal into the house.

That's not really cord cutting. It's shifting responsibility for the cord from the provider to the consumer
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 02:05 PM by arkstfan.)
11-08-2018 02:05 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
If you want to see real acceleration in cord cutting, wait another year or two. When 5G data transmission becomes widely available, streaming video quality will be equal to cable/satellite quality, and then the lure of smaller bundles, plus being able to watch on a wide variety of devices, plus being able to cancel at any time, will convince a lot more folks to dump cable and satellite for these lower-obligation options.

So as mentioned in the OP, this is why Disney is ramping up ESPN+ and rolling out "Disneyflix" next year, and why HBO and others are doing similar things.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 02:08 PM by Wedge.)
11-08-2018 02:08 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(11-08-2018 02:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  If you want to see real acceleration in cord cutting, wait another year or two. When 5G internet becomes widely available, streaming video quality will be equal to cable/satellite quality, and then the lure of smaller bundles, plus being able to watch on a wide variety of devices, plus being able to cancel at any time, will convince a lot more folks to dump cable and satellite for these lower-obligation options.

So as mentioned in the OP, this is why Disney is ramping up ESPN+ and rolling out "Disneyflix" next year, and why HBO and others are doing similar things.

Yep.

The company that is way behind on this is CBS. You still can't stream CBS Sports anywhere.

I guess that's to be expected when CBS has spent most of the past 20 years being a pawn in the never-ending battle over who will inherit Sumner Redstone's fortune when he retires.
11-08-2018 02:10 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
YouTube TV is the way to go. It blows my mind that people still pay cable costs in my area instead of streaming.

The folks saying it's just the old cable model? Nope, you either have a TV with the YouTube TV app or you buy a Roku stick. Cable charges monthly fees for their boxes, Roku is a one time cost.

Old models don't allow you to cancel anytime, Streaming does.

Of course you may see buffering, but I live in the hills of Athens Ohio and it's never a problem.

Spectrum internet (5g)- $69.99
YouTube TV-$35.00

That's my total cost a month. With time Warner (spectrum) cable + internet it was $200.
11-08-2018 02:34 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
(11-08-2018 02:34 PM)cubucks Wrote:  YouTube TV is the way to go. It blows my mind that people still pay cable costs in my area instead of streaming.

The folks saying it's just the old cable model? Nope, you either have a TV with the YouTube TV app or you buy a Roku stick. Cable charges monthly fees for their boxes, Roku is a one time cost.

Of course you may see buffering, but I live in the hills of Athens Ohio and it's never a problem.

YouTube TV-$35.00

That's my total cost a month. With time Warner (spectrum) cable + internet it was $200.

I even got a free Chromecast when I signed up on YouTube TV. Hopefully they’ll add the NFL Network and Bloomberg to the lineup.

Unlimited recording, easy to use, lots of sports channels and I can watch it on my iPad. I even kept the $35 price when it increased to $40.
11-08-2018 02:52 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-08-2018 02:34 PM)cubucks Wrote:  YouTube TV is the way to go. It blows my mind that people still pay cable costs in my area instead of streaming.

YouTube TV-$35.00

I pay $185 a month for internet + cable, and I would switch to Youtube TV in a minute if it wasn't for .... my wife.

While YTTV has all the sports I want, it is missing some female-oriented channels that my wife regards as essential, so until it has those channels it's a no-go for me. I mean, there would be a war if she couldn't get TLC and Bravo and QVC, LOL.

But for a single, sports oriented guy, YTTV looks amazing. All 4 ESPN channels, FS1 and FS2, CBSSN, etc.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 03:18 PM by quo vadis.)
11-08-2018 03:11 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/07/sling-...bscribers/

Sling at 2.37 million, DirecTV Now at just "shy of 2 million," Hulu with Live TV "just topped 1 million," YouTube TV "hit 800,000 in May," PlayStation Vue at 500,000. That's closing in on 7 million for the virtual multichannel video programming distributors (vMVPD) that include substantial sports offerings in their packages.
11-08-2018 03:27 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW

From some rough math I've done, it is only about 40% of those that switch to a OTT platform like cable. The other 60% are OTA and Netflix or Amazon Prime.

From this article it states now that 78% of TV Household do subscribe to pay-TV. This is another 1% decrease from last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talk...919471002/
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 04:23 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-08-2018 03:59 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

YouTube TV-$35.00

You are straining at gnats.

You own the box (Roku or smart TV app) vs leasing is no big difference. My Direct TV box goes out they either ship one to me or send a local installer to replace it. Roku goes out, you buy a new one.

Most Americans who are on cable or satellite can cancel immediately because the contract period to offset the cost of a human coming to your house to do installation has long ago expired.

You are still buying a bundle, it's just shifted who handles infrastructure.

You know what sucks? Watching a game on TV and one person in your text group isn't on cable or satellite and gets bitchy because we are talking about whether to kick the PAT or go for 2 before they see the TD.
11-08-2018 04:01 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2018 02:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

It is absolutely still the old cable/satellite model the only change is who is responsible for the box to decode the signal and the method for bringing the signal into the house.

That's not really cord cutting. It's shifting responsibility for the cord from the provider to the consumer

True, but those OTT players aren't paying the same rates as cable. Which is why about all of them are losing money. AT&T's Direct TV Now has stated that they losing money with that platform, however, their WatchTV platform is a money maker.....all because that platform doesn't include sports or news channels.
11-08-2018 04:01 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(11-08-2018 04:01 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 02:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

True, but those OTT players aren't paying the same rates as cable. Which is why about all of them are losing money. AT&T's Direct TV Now has stated that they losing money with that platform, however, their WatchTV platform is a money maker.....all because that platform doesn't include sports or news channels.

It is no secret that ATT and Google are comfortable losing money right now with YTTV and Direct TV Now because they are chasing market share and they know most of the players in the game right now cannot afford to sustain losses as long as they can.

In the long run, ATT WANTS people off Direct and on to Direct TV Now because they can dealing with the costs of installation and repairs and maybe even repurpose the satellites down the road or replace their slot with more profitable satellites.

Let the local cable company worry about storms knocking down the wire or a contractor cutting buried cable. When you shift infrastructure to the consumer, you quit worrying about that and can improve your profit margin.
11-08-2018 04:12 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(11-08-2018 04:01 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

YouTube TV-$35.00

You are straining at gnats.

You own the box (Roku or smart TV app) vs leasing is no big difference. My Direct TV box goes out they either ship one to me or send a local installer to replace it. Roku goes out, you buy a new one.

Most Americans who are on cable or satellite can cancel immediately because the contract period to offset the cost of a human coming to your house to do installation has long ago expired.

You are still buying a bundle, it's just shifted who handles infrastructure.

You know what sucks? Watching a game on TV and one person in your text group isn't on cable or satellite and gets bitchy because we are talking about whether to kick the PAT or go for 2 before they see the TD.
Great! Stick to cable and pay more than me, I really don't care! And being behind real time 1 minute is worth every penny.
11-08-2018 04:23 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

With now another increase of households who don't pay for TV 21% in 2017 to 22% in 2018. It is no wonder why Stadium is getting more traction on their OTA stations.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 04:39 PM by MWC Tex.)
11-08-2018 04:24 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-08-2018 02:08 PM)Wedge Wrote:  If you want to see real acceleration in cord cutting, wait another year or two. When 5G data transmission becomes widely available, streaming video quality will be equal to cable/satellite quality, and then the lure of smaller bundles, plus being able to watch on a wide variety of devices, plus being able to cancel at any time, will convince a lot more folks to dump cable and satellite for these lower-obligation options.

Maybe in the densest and biggest urban cores. But that has a litany of problems as well.

I don't think there's enough spectrum to deal with multiple millions of people streaming HD video within a few square miles. Just look how even text messaging goes to crap in most football stadiums when you get 40,000+ people in one spot. Well that's the kind of density you have in places like NYC all the time. We've already got a jumbled mess of spectrum out there so vast that no smartphone on the planet can use all the US spectrum allocations at the same time. The "universal phone" has become a thing of the past. And not all spectrum is created equally. TMobile and Sprint have some spectrum that does a really poor job of penetrating into buildings. And they use it everywhere because they HAVE TO to keep up with demand.

Cellular providers have only barely more competition than broadband ISPs. AT&T. Verizon. TMobile. Sprint. Everybody else is bulk purchasing access to the former four. And the four are constantly trying to merge with each other if the FCC would let them.

And if you aren't in a dense urban area ... it's really only two: AT&T and Verizon. While TMobile and Sprint have actually done some good build out over the last few years ... they're still more or less the urban areas and the interstates that connect them. I remember as recently as 2-3 years ago I would lose TMobile data all the way down to Edge for 15-20 minutes at a time going to Atlanta on I-85.

Yes, right of way and having to "kiss the ring" for every f'n city and town and county council is a nightmare that nobody likes. Even companies that stuff billions under the mattress like Google don't want to put up with it. There's also a huge lack of competition making everything worse. But cellular doesn't fix these problems ... it just shifts them to different areas. Right of way becomes tower permitting, particularly if that tower has any appreciable height to it then the FAA gets involved too. Lack of pole space and fiber becomes lack of spectrum. Lack of competition remains the same.

Lastly ... even the evilest of broadband ISPs (ATT) have a 200-300 GB/mo use cap. You would probably have to pay, in today's market, easily over $200/mo to get that much high speed data over a cellular network. And HD video consumes a lot of data. 4K even more so.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 04:47 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
11-08-2018 04:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.