Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Official Game Thread: Hiwassee (W 109-44)
Bookmark and Share
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Game Thread: Hiwassee (W 109-44)
Date: November 8th, 2018

Time: 7:00 PM

Opponent: Hiwassee (3-2)

Place: Freedom Hall (6,000)

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN+ ($4.99 per month)

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

HC 2018-2019 Schedule

HC 2018-2019 Roster
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 08:48 PM by ETSUfan1.)
11-07-2018 12:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Official Game Thread: Hiwassee
Interesting scheduling on Hiwassee College's part. They played something called North American University last Saturday and Sunday.
11-07-2018 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

A good game to have right now to “work on us”. I wouldn’t mind it if Good and Boyd attempted 15 shots from deep apiece to, hopefully, shoot their way out of the early slump. I’d also like to see Armus be fed to work on his consistency.
11-07-2018 12:08 PM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Armus needs to go for the dunk and draw the foul. He’s not springy enough to hold the ball and keep pump faking against truer athletes. He got swarmed on his many layup attempts, a number of them blocked or the ball stripped while hesitating. Turn around shots were weak, hopefully just a bad shooting night. The dunks were fast and made a statement. The rebounding was great.
11-07-2018 03:16 PM
BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

(11-07-2018 03:16 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Armus needs to go for the dunk and draw the foul. He’s not springy enough to hold the ball and keep pump faking against truer athletes. He got swarmed on his many layup attempts, a number of them blocked or the ball stripped while hesitating. Turn around shots were weak, hopefully just a bad shooting night. The dunks were fast and made a statement. The rebounding was great.

One of my many pet peeves watching basketball is inside players who have a size advantage on those guarding them who shoot weak tap ups or push shots near the basket. I see our bigs dunking in warmups with a mere flexing of their ankles and yet in games to this point they are constantly lobbing the ball above the basket hoping for a friendly bounce. If you have the advantage in size and position, dunk the ball. If you lob it up, three things will happen : you will score, you will miss or the defender may get a finger on the ball requiring the official to make a call on whether it was goaltending. I would rather not leave it in the refs' hands. Dunk it and as you say you are more likely to get a call if you are fouled. A long standing issue with me. Every time I see it, I howl at the TV screen, which is why I watch basketball in the most isolated part of the house.
11-08-2018 07:02 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2018 07:02 AM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  
(11-07-2018 03:16 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Armus needs to go for the dunk and draw the foul. He’s not springy enough to hold the ball and keep pump faking against truer athletes. He got swarmed on his many layup attempts, a number of them blocked or the ball stripped while hesitating. Turn around shots were weak, hopefully just a bad shooting night. The dunks were fast and made a statement. The rebounding was great.

One of my many pet peeves watching basketball is inside players who have a size advantage on those guarding them who shoot weak tap ups or push shots near the basket. I see our bigs dunking in warmups with a mere flexing of their ankles and yet in games to this point they are constantly lobbing the ball above the basket hoping for a friendly bounce. If you have the advantage in size and position, dunk the ball. If you lob it up, three things will happen : you will score, you will miss or the defender may get a finger on the ball requiring the official to make a call on whether it was goaltending. I would rather not leave it in the refs' hands. Dunk it and as you say you are more likely to get a call if you are fouled. A long standing issue with me. Every time I see it, I howl at the TV screen, which is why I watch basketball in the most isolated part of the house.

While I don't disagree with all that...……….Armus did dunk it at least twice, with authority. And didn't maybe that equal his dunks for all of last year? That is likely an exaggeration, but to my eyes, he moved way in that direction. Maybe so much so that his extremely effective short lay-ins with either hand were almost absent - or at least relatively speaking. Armus knows sometimes that those are more effective, using the goal as a protection from a block, than trying to dunk it with someone between you and the goal. I was thinking that GSU had watched tape of Armus from last year, and were trying to stop those little lay-ins. To me, this is not a problem. I thought he had clearly moved in the direction of dunking when it was there. There was at least one other time he *maybe* could have done so, but didn't need to.
*Much* more problematic, imo, is him getting stripped before he can go up, or stripped from behind while waiting for a cutter. That happened 3 or 4 times this game. It happened to Rodgriguez once or twice, too.
11-08-2018 08:55 AM
Advertisement

BigIslandBuc Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2018 08:55 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 07:02 AM)BigIslandBuc Wrote:  

While I don't disagree with all that...……….Armus did dunk it at least twice, with authority. And didn't maybe that equal his dunks for all of last year? That is likely an exaggeration, but to my eyes, he moved way in that direction. Maybe so much so that his extremely effective short lay-ins with either hand were almost absent - or at least relatively speaking. Armus knows sometimes that those are more effective, using the goal as a protection from a block, than trying to dunk it with someone between you and the goal. I was thinking that GSU had watched tape of Armus from last year, and were trying to stop those little lay-ins. To me, this is not a problem. I thought he had clearly moved in the direction of dunking when it was there. There was at least one other time he *maybe* could have done so, but didn't need to.
*Much* more problematic, imo, is him getting stripped before he can go up, or stripped from behind while waiting for a cutter. That happened 3 or 4 times this game. It happened to Rodgriguez once or twice, too.

I didn't mean to single out Armus for criticism, as I continue to be impressed by his stout play inside. Several times, I remember him surrounded under the basket seemingly with no chance to secure a rebound only to see him emerge with the ball. In fact, when he did dunk the ball, I gestured emphatically at the computer screen to emphasize my point, another reason I am banished from the majority of the house during games. As I said this is a long standing general issue with me as far as inside play is concerned.
11-08-2018 10:18 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
I can’t even dunk, so what do I really know! But Armus got abused on many layup attempts at GSU, and he threw up a lot of bad shots. Of course I saw his two dunks, but he was essentially wide open. I’d just like to see more aggressive power moves when he’s being guarded and has an opening to the rim. He’s not a monster athlete, but he’s a monster. Impose thy will.
11-08-2018 02:45 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
It is going to be a long season for the Buc bigs if the trend from the Georgia State game continues. ETSU bigs shot 5 free throws, Georgia State bigs shot 12. Georgia State's bigs scored 10 points from the line, ETSU's bigs scored 3. That alone was more than the margin of victory.

It is going to be difficult for Armus, Jeromy, and company to score with folks hanging on them and if the no calls continue.

Just my opinion.
11-08-2018 02:56 PM
Heisman

(11-08-2018 02:45 PM)shampoo Wrote:  I can’t even dunk, so what do I really know! But Armus got abused on many layup attempts at GSU, and he threw up a lot of bad shots. Of course I saw his two dunks, but he was essentially wide open. I’d just like to see more aggressive power moves when he’s being guarded and has an opening to the rim. He’s not a monster athlete, but he’s a monster. Impose thy will.

Hand size has a lot to do with dunkage. I haven't checked out Armus's hands up close, but the way he holds the ball I don't think they're all that large (for how large the rest of him is); but that's just from knowledge of how this works. So that's why when he dunks, it's always two hands. And a player has to be fairly close to the basket to dunk with two hands. We'll rarely see him dunk one-handed, I suspect, which would also mean we won't see him take more than one big step and then dunk. He's going to limited in that fashion, I'm pretty sure.
11-08-2018 07:10 PM
Heisman

Anybody got ESPN+ working?
11-08-2018 07:12 PM
Advertisement

Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

James Harrison better step up. Octavion is coming for his minutes...
11-08-2018 07:51 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
Maybe I'm just so into football right now, but this seems like a complete waste of a game. Not sure this helps in any way.
11-08-2018 07:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
(11-08-2018 07:56 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Maybe I'm just so into football right now, but this seems like a complete waste of a game. Not sure this helps in any way.
Everyone else is afraid of ETSU.
11-08-2018 08:26 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

(11-08-2018 08:26 PM)etsuandpurdue3 Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 07:56 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Maybe I'm just so into football right now, but this seems like a complete waste of a game. Not sure this helps in any way.
Everyone else is afraid of ETSU.
Hiwassee has 302 students, a number of which are athletes.
11-08-2018 08:29 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators
There HAS to be a DII that will play us. That would at least give us SOME competition.
11-08-2018 08:32 PM
Advertisement

MTBuc Offline
Special Teams

RE: Official Game Thread: Hiwassee (W 109-44)
Did College of Faith rebrand as Hiwassee College and start a basketball team?
11-08-2018 08:59 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

(11-08-2018 08:32 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  There HAS to be a DII that will play us. That would at least give us SOME competition.

And some trashed me because I had a meltdown when I found out that ETSU was playing Hiwassee once again. Again, Hiwassee isn't DII, it isn't DIII, it isn't NAIA, it is strictly a National Christian College Athletic Association member with 7 academic programs that are not regionally accredited.

Given the number of SoCon schools that play them, do they have a relationship with someone in the conference office? Is there an advantage to having an opponent that schools can play if they can't fill their schedule?
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 10:00 PM by BucDoctor.)
11-08-2018 09:46 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I noticed that several SoCon schools are playing them.
11-08-2018 09:54 PM
prosec34 Offline
2nd String

I made the plunge for ESPN+ only to discover that Kasey Marler does the play by play. Luckily he's not nearly as annoying as I'd have expected.

I did feel sorry for those who spent money on tickets for such a joke of a game. There's no sense at all in scheduling such a team.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 09:59 PM by prosec34.)
11-08-2018 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.