Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

App State at Texas State
Bookmark and Share
APPrising Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
App State at Texas State
Didn't see one started yet. App State opens as a 21.5 favorite, however, Texas State is coming off a 2 game win streak and played App down to the wire last year.
11-06-2018 03:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
RE: App State at Texas State
Top defensive player for TXST is out for at least a half. I hope the TXST can do what it did last week and click more consistently. Having watched the stAte vs App St game, I don't think TXST has much of a shot but like last year, there is also a chance.

If TXST can somehow win the last three games, they become bowl eligible and maybe that can help motivate the team after a rough few years.
11-06-2018 03:15 PM
JTApps1 Offline
1st String

(11-06-2018 03:15 PM)slycat Wrote:  Top defensive player for TXST is out for at least a half. I hope the TXST can do what it did last week and click more consistently. Having watched the stAte vs App St game, I don't think TXST has much of a shot but like last year, there is also a chance.

If TXST can somehow win the last three games, they become bowl eligible and maybe that can help motivate the team after a rough few years.

The App defense should be able to hold the Bobcat offense in check, but our offense is a big question until we know who is playing QB. If Thomas is back 100% I think we'll be ok, but if not the Texas State D can certainly make it a game.
11-06-2018 03:56 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

Our defense really is underrated in the league this year. It's legitimately pretty good. Problem is, until two weeks ago our offense was so bad you couldn't really tell how well the defense was playing.

I'm afraid App's defense is probably gonna bring that really bad TXST offense back to life. We probably have to hope Thomas isn't cleared and that we can catch a few breaks and win a really low scoring game if we have a chance to win.
11-06-2018 04:20 PM
YesAppCan Offline
2nd String

I watched the Texas State/Georgia Southern game and was impressed with the defensive line play of Tx. St., particularly their lateral speed. Your QB made some nice throws on the slants in Ga. Southern game. If App's offense comes with Thomas as QB, I think we are OK... Otherwise a VERY tight defensive battle.
11-06-2018 04:45 PM
moehler Offline
1st String

Our offense is so predictable on first and second down, that a good DL like the Bobcats should make it tough to consistently move the ball, 21.5 spread is crazy, I expect both defenses to play well and keep the winning scores in the mid to low 20s
11-06-2018 05:06 PM
Advertisement

APPdiesel Offline
All American

Thomas has taken pretty good care of the ball so far this year but I could see him being a little rusty, needing some time to feel comfortable again, maybe throwing a pick or putting the ball on the turf early.
11-06-2018 06:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(11-06-2018 03:56 PM)JTApps1 Wrote:  
(11-06-2018 03:15 PM)slycat Wrote:  Top defensive player for TXST is out for at least a half. I hope the TXST can do what it did last week and click more consistently. Having watched the stAte vs App St game, I don't think TXST has much of a shot but like last year, there is also a chance.

The App defense should be able to hold the Bobcat offense in check, but our offense is a big question until we know who is playing QB. If Thomas is back 100% I think we'll be ok, but if not the Texas State D can certainly make it a game.

We know who is playing QB. Everyone knew who was going to be playing QB for this game last week. The line wouldn't be 21.5 if Thomas wasn't playing for sure.

The way App's offense has played since the 2nd half of the USA game has been less than encouraging. Penalties, inability to convert clutch situations, lack of consistency and running into 9 man boxes....
11-06-2018 06:35 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

(11-06-2018 04:45 PM)App State 85 Wrote:  I watched the Texas State/Georgia Southern game and was impressed with the defensive line play of Tx. St., particularly their lateral speed. Your QB made some nice throws on the slants in Ga. Southern game. If App's offense comes with Thomas as QB, I think we are OK... Otherwise a VERY tight defensive battle.

(11-06-2018 05:06 PM)moehler Wrote:  Our offense is so predictable on first and second down, that a good DL like the Bobcats should make it tough to consistently move the ball, 21.5 spread is crazy, I expect both defenses to play well and keep the winning scores in the mid to low 20s

Unfortunately our DL has gotten a bit banged up since the GS game. We have two really big injuries including our starting NT having been out for weeks now. I'm hoping we can keep you guys from running it down our throats, but I'm not feeling optimistic, despite our rushing defense being pretty good over the course of the season.
11-06-2018 11:15 PM
biggie Offline
2nd String

I would certainly expect a ton of running from App in this one. Maybe we see Harrington a little in this one behind Evans/Williams.
11-07-2018 12:12 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(11-06-2018 04:45 PM)App State 85 Wrote:  I watched the Texas State/Georgia Southern game and was impressed with the defensive line play of Tx. St., particularly their lateral speed. Your QB made some nice throws on the slants in Ga. Southern game. If App's offense comes with Thomas as QB, I think we are OK... Otherwise a VERY tight defensive battle.

I would think (though it's not confirmed) that QB, Vitt, won't see much PT unless the starter the last 2 weeks, Willie Jones III, turns over the ball a fair amount early on in the game.
11-07-2018 01:02 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(11-07-2018 12:12 AM)biggie Wrote:  I would certainly expect a ton of running from App in this one. Maybe we see Harrington a little in this one behind Evans/Williams.

I'd like to see Williams get the start with Evans coming in to spell him, rather than the other way around. You always get the threat of Evans breaking free but I think you bring him in when you're on a drive and the defense is beginning to wear down and missing tackles. Bring in Evans at that point and run the play that gives you the best chance at opening a monster hole and let him loose.

More diversity from the passing game and play calling in general would be nice as well. Ponce needs to work to loosen up the second and third level of the defense so that right and left zone stretch aren't so well defended each time. App doesn't really have the backs to just bulldoze and hammer; Williams and Evans are more like chisels. They can chip away, chip away, chip away, but they aren't really fracturing the foundation.
11-07-2018 09:40 AM
_x_ Offline
All American

(11-07-2018 01:02 AM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  

I would think (though it's not confirmed) that QB, Vitt, won't see much PT unless the starter the last 2 weeks, Willie Jones III, turns over the ball a fair amount early on in the game.

I think you almost have to start WIllie after the game he had at GSU. That being said, App's defense isn't GSU's (sorry Panthers). Something tells me we see both QBs this game. I doubt WIllie can keep up what he's been doing the past two weeks. Hopefully I'm wrong.
11-07-2018 10:16 AM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

I expect TxSt defense to keep them in the game at least in the first half. If App makes mistakes, turnovers and/or penalties it could be a dog fight....and might be a dogfight anyway as TxSt is playing their best football in a long time.
11-07-2018 08:30 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(11-07-2018 08:30 PM)SpeedkingATL Wrote:  I expect TxSt defense to keep them in the game at least in the first half. If App makes mistakes, turnovers and/or penalties it could be a dog fight....and might be a dogfight anyway as TxSt is playing their best football in a long time.

Full disclosure, I had to laugh at the bolded part of your post.

To say that we're: "...playing our best football in a long time" is not really saying a lot. We're coming off back to back wins, but those came against a couple of bad teams, and it does not change the fact that we're still a bad program. 7 wins in 3 seasons bad.

Our D is pretty good, and should play well enough to keep things close in the first half. I doubt that our offense will be able to put up enough points against your D to change the predicted outcome. Barring something Miraculous, y'all can chalk up another win.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2018 09:46 PM by Bobcat87.)
11-07-2018 09:25 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I do think if our line was just average, our skill players are good enough to keep the game interesting.

But it's gonna take a pretty big step up in our play for us to get our line to average.
11-07-2018 10:49 PM
Advertisement

ChiefGSU275 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS EAGLES!
Who got most of Texas States QB snaps last weekend? Was it Vitt or the other guy (name escapes me?)
11-08-2018 08:15 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2018 08:15 AM)ChiefGSU275 Wrote:  Who got most of Texas States QB snaps last weekend? Was it Vitt or the other guy (name escapes me?)

Williams has gotten all the snaps in the two wins. Witt has had a minor injury and not played. Williams actually started throwing well recently. I think part has been a change in the offensive play calling.
11-08-2018 09:10 AM
asucrutch23 Offline
Special Teams

(11-08-2018 09:10 AM)slycat Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 08:15 AM)ChiefGSU275 Wrote:  Who got most of Texas States QB snaps last weekend? Was it Vitt or the other guy (name escapes me?)

Williams has gotten all the snaps in the two wins. Witt has had a minor injury and not played. Williams actually started throwing well recently. I think part has been a change in the offensive play calling.

Don't you mean Jones?

It's okay, ESPN+ announcers were calling him Brown during the Georgia State game. I guess the only top 5 surnames left are Smith and Johnson.
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2018 09:39 AM by asucrutch23.)
11-08-2018 09:37 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

(11-08-2018 09:37 AM)asucrutch23 Wrote:  
(11-08-2018 09:10 AM)slycat Wrote:  

Don't you mean Jones?

It's okay, ESPN+ announcers were calling him Brown during the Georgia State game. I guess the only top 5 surnames left are Smith and Johnson.

Yes. Willie Jones III. Not sure why I said Williams haha
11-08-2018 10:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.