Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Parking & Restaurants in San Marcos
Bookmark and Share
AtlantaApp Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Appalachian Sta
Parking & Restaurants in San Marcos
I will be flying into San Antonio and spending the weekend in Texas.

I was wondering where the best places to park on game days was. I was also wondering about some of the better restaurants in San Marcos. Thank you in advance.
11-05-2018 10:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
RE: Parking & Restaurants in San Marcos
Restaurants:

- Mexican: Herbert's Taco Hut.
- Burgers: Tap Room
- BBQ: Take your pick. Any place but Fuschak's. It's vastly differently from your BBQ. Be prepared for plenty of cow, and a lot less vinegar.
- Sammiches: Alvin Ord's

This is all assuming you are staying in San Marcos. If you get the chance to head out to Lockart, try Black's BBQ. If you make it to Austin, Salt Lick is pretty tasty, and so is Franklin's (but be prepared to wait and you MIGHT still miss out). If you're driving into San Marcos from San Antonio, I suggest stopping off in Gruene (green) and checking out Gruene Hall and eating at Adobe Verde for Mexican food.
11-06-2018 01:05 AM
GS99-00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: GA Southern
(11-05-2018 10:06 PM)AtlantaApp Wrote:  I will be flying into San Antonio and spending the weekend in Texas.

I was wondering where the best places to park on game days was. I was also wondering about some of the better restaurants in San Marcos. Thank you in advance.

Coliseum lot for parking

My friends and I enjoyed Kent Black's BBQ in San Marcos and you can't go wrong with Tap Room for their burgers.

Kent Black's BBQ is in the family of Black's BBQ in Lockhart
11-06-2018 08:19 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Any time I am in San Marcos I will make sure I get a burger at the Tap Room. Herberts is a favorite too.
11-06-2018 08:56 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I've tried most of the above and agree.

But I love the Grist Mill in Gruene.

And if you like German food, stop in New Braunfels between SA and SM. Thank me later.
11-06-2018 09:34 AM
Fanther Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: GSU
If I ever go back to San Marcos for a game, I will do what I did last time. Fly to Austin and go to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. I will do one thing differently. I will skip the game and go to Salt Lick BBQ a second time while I am out there.
11-06-2018 11:56 AM
Advertisement

tx.state Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
Park in the Coliseum lot (aka Strahan Lot or General Tailgating Lot). It's $10 per space, and there will be a lot of tailgating going on.

Are you staying in San Marcos or San Antonio?

If you're staying in San Marcos, hit up the Tap Room for a burger, Hays County BBQ or Black's BBQ, or Herbert's Taco Hut...then go to the square for some drinks. Get you a kolache from Dos Gatos in the morning.

If you're staying in San Antonio, hit up Gruene and be a tourist, eat at Gristmill or Adobe Verde...then go to Wurstfest for some drinks. Wurstfest is one of the largest Oktoberfests in the US, happening this weekend in New Braunfels.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2018 12:17 PM by tx.state.)
11-06-2018 12:16 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

Parking: Best bet is spending $10 to park in the lot between Strahan Arena and the stadium. That's where the students tailgate. But if you park closer to the arena there's not as much tailgating. I'd give you some other options as this lot sometimes fills to capacity, but given our record and attendance lately you won't need a secondary option unfortunately.

Food:

Mexican: As others have suggested it's Herbert's Taco Hut. Take my advice and order either an Anthony's Deluxe, a Junior's Special, the Herbert's Special, or just a cheese enchilada dinner if you're not that hungry. Don't go rogue. Herbert's is great, if you know what to order. If anyone suggests Garcia's don't listen to them.

Burgers: Others got this one right too with the tap room. 100 beers on tap and great burgers. Not the quickest service, but the beer and food is great.

Pizza: Valentino's on the square has good pizza. Atmosphere has died in there lately, but they have good beer and pizza.

Breweries: Find my post in the breweries thread for the best breweries in town.

BBQ: I think the best BBQ in town is Hays County BBQ. Kent Black's is 2nd best and also very good (as noted earlier same family as the famous Black's BBQ in Lockhart). I've seen two suggestions to leave town for BBQ. If you choose to I'd highly recommend Lockhart (Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's) over Driftwood (Salt Lick). Salt Lick is plenty good and the most popular place of all listed but it's gotten worse over time as it's gotten more popular. Lockhart probably has San Marcos beat by a tad, but Hays County in San Marcos is as good as any place in the area, Salt Lick ranks behind all 3 places in Lockhart and Hays Co. to me. Do yourself a favor and stay out of Austin.

Someone mentioned German food in New Braunfels. If that's your thing you're in luck as Wurstfest is this weekend in New Braunfels. NB is about 20 minutes south of San Marcos. It's about $15 for a ticket, then all the German Beer/Food you can imagine. Make sure you're OK with big crowds and seeing swaths of really inebriated people cause that's what you'll see. Security is pretty lax. I'll be out there after the game Saturday night drinking Spaten and eating Schnitzel.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2018 12:20 PM by _x_.)
11-06-2018 12:18 PM
tx.state Offline
Special Teams

Also, we play Air Force in Men's Basketball on Friday night if you're wanting to check our renovated basketball arena.
11-06-2018 12:21 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

(11-06-2018 11:56 AM)Fanther Wrote:  If I ever go back to San Marcos for a game, I will do what I did last time. Fly to Austin and go to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. I will do one thing differently. I will skip the game and go to Salt Lick BBQ a second time while I am out there.

Hate to say it man, but you're missing out. Salt Lick is good, but not that good.

If you ever come back to San Marcos, go to Franklin's or Black's. Kreuz's is plenty good too. It's a little bit of a drive out to Lockart (but no farther than Dripping Springs) and for my money is 10 times better than Salt Lick.
11-06-2018 12:38 PM
tx.state Offline
Special Teams

I agree with Rev...Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ but a great experience. The really good BBQ is in Lockhart.
11-06-2018 12:41 PM
Advertisement

_x_ Offline
All American

(11-06-2018 12:38 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(11-06-2018 11:56 AM)Fanther Wrote:  If I ever go back to San Marcos for a game, I will do what I did last time. Fly to Austin and go to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. I will do one thing differently. I will skip the game and go to Salt Lick BBQ a second time while I am out there.

Hate to say it man, but you're missing out. Salt Lick is good, but not that good.

If you ever come back to San Marcos, go to Franklin's or Black's. Kreuz's is plenty good too. It's a little bit of a drive out to Lockart (but no farther than Dripping Springs) and for my money is 10 times better than Salt Lick.

Agreed. And not trying to hate on Salt Lick either. Drop me there right now and I'll eat until I can't eat anymore and be content as hell.

But Salt Lick is kind of the gateway Texas BBQ place you try first and realize "oh this Texas BBQ is pretty good" then you start trying some of the less popular places and realize some of them are really, really good.

Glad you liked Salt Lick. It's a good place. But I'd highly recommend trying out some of the other recommendations in the area next time you're in town.
11-06-2018 12:43 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

There's very little in the way of Texas BBQ that I will ever turn down.

hell, I truly enjoy Rudy's, and that's... well, it's the Applebee's of Texas BBQ.

And the only reason I try not to recommend Franklin's in Austin is purely because... It's just too much of a pain in the ass to get. The lines and possibility of you not getting any after you wait says... Too much effort.

Now if you're in town for a couple of weeks, you can pre-order it, and be guaranteed to get it, which is well worth the effort.
11-06-2018 01:07 PM
Shof Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
(11-06-2018 12:18 PM)_x_ Wrote:  Parking: Best bet is spending $10 to park in the lot between Strahan Arena and the stadium. That's where the students tailgate. But if you park closer to the arena there's not as much tailgating. I'd give you some other options as this lot sometimes fills to capacity, but given our record and attendance lately you won't need a secondary option unfortunately.

Food:

Mexican: As others have suggested it's Herbert's Taco Hut. Take my advice and order either an Anthony's Deluxe, a Junior's Special, the Herbert's Special, or just a cheese enchilada dinner if you're not that hungry. Don't go rogue. Herbert's is great, if you know what to order. If anyone suggests Garcia's don't listen to them.

Burgers: Others got this one right too with the tap room. 100 beers on tap and great burgers. Not the quickest service, but the beer and food is great.

Pizza: Valentino's on the square has good pizza. Atmosphere has died in there lately, but they have good beer and pizza.

Breweries: Find my post in the breweries thread for the best breweries in town.

BBQ: I think the best BBQ in town is Hays County BBQ. Kent Black's is 2nd best and also very good (as noted earlier same family as the famous Black's BBQ in Lockhart). I've seen two suggestions to leave town for BBQ. If you choose to I'd highly recommend Lockhart (Kreuz, Black's, and Smitty's) over Driftwood (Salt Lick). Salt Lick is plenty good and the most popular place of all listed but it's gotten worse over time as it's gotten more popular. Lockhart probably has San Marcos beat by a tad, but Hays County in San Marcos is as good as any place in the area, Salt Lick ranks behind all 3 places in Lockhart and Hays Co. to me. Do yourself a favor and stay out of Austin.

Someone mentioned German food in New Braunfels. If that's your thing you're in luck as Wurstfest is this weekend in New Braunfels. NB is about 20 minutes south of San Marcos. It's about $15 for a ticket, then all the German Beer/Food you can imagine. Make sure you're OK with big crowds and seeing swaths of really inebriated people cause that's what you'll see. Security is pretty lax. I'll be out there after the game Saturday night drinking Spaten and eating Schnitzel.

Did someone mention New Braunfels? LOL
Definitely try Wurstfest. Pretty sure this is the final weekend. Good food and drink, and very authentic german music (and other stuff too). And you can't go wrong visiting Gruene, and Gruene Hall. Although somewhat touristy, Gristmill is still a great place. Excellent chicken fried steak. I frequent Gruene often; but it's only 1 mile from the house. 04-cheers

P.S. There is a "park and ride" in Gruene for Wurstfest. Parking around Wurstfest can be a real challenge!!!
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2018 01:55 PM by Shof.)
11-06-2018 01:53 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

Shof, I'm not even gonna lie... I cannot hide my jealousy of you living in New Braunfels. You are one LUCKY man.
11-06-2018 02:17 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I lived in New Braunfels until a year ago. Was there for two years.

San Marcos may be my favorite city in the world. But New Braunfels is an awesome city too. Got a rental house there Saturday night, looking forward to it.
11-06-2018 02:26 PM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

Wurstfest is a lot of fun. First time I am not going in a while.
11-06-2018 03:16 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(11-06-2018 12:41 PM)tx.state Wrote:  I agree with Rev...Salt Lick is pretty good BBQ but a great experience. The really good BBQ is in Lockhart.

I’m with you both!
11-06-2018 04:16 PM
Coach Bonez89 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTk-MEM-UAB-UTC
Pork or GTFO 04-cheers
11-06-2018 05:45 PM
Yarddog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Troy
(11-06-2018 05:45 PM)Coach Bonez89 Wrote:  Pork or GTFO 04-cheers

It has been nearly 50 years since I have dined in San Marcos and can't even remember where I ate.

I do think Bar-BQ should be pork. Chicken and beef can be delicious but pork is the best.

When we lived in Dothan, our group manager from Montgomery would always want to eat at Dobbs when he was in town. It was pretty simple, cooked over a pit and the wood was hickory. No sauce while cooking but maybe 5 or 6 different ones on each table.

I have heard that it is no longer as good as it once was but don't personally know.
11-06-2018 06:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.