Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Serious question: what has UAB done differently than USM since 2015?? or 2008?
Bookmark and Share
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
Serious question: what has UAB done differently than USM since 2015?? or 2008?
Is the answer that they just have more competent coaches? Is that the only answer? I just cannot believe how they shut down their program for a few years...and then start it back up and whip our asses like nothing has changed. How have we let that happen? Is it the curse of the 70 point game in '08? The last time we beat UAB in football was 2014. We've only beaten UAB twice in football in the last ten years. WTF.

'17: LOST 30-12 at home
'16: DNP
'15: DNP
'14: LOST 24-45 at home
'13: WON 62-27 in Bham
'12: LOST 19-27 at home
'11: LOST 31-34 in Bham
'10: LOST 49-50 at home
'09: LOST 17-30 in Bham
'08: WON 70-14 at home

By god, it's about time we beat their asses and re-establish some USM football semblance...or maybe we need to shut our program down for a few years and let the fans take a break and have a don't-know-what-you've-got-till-it's-gone type moment like UAB had. Maybe then we could come back and fans would be rejuvenated and what not and actually buy some season tix for a damn change. Geez.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018 11:00 AM by TTT.)
11-05-2018 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagNBran Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Serious question: what has UAB done differently than USM since 2015?? or 2008?
The difference? Their shutdown reignited their fanbase. They put their money where there mouth was and put pressure on those in power to do the right things and actually care about their football success. They also have a good coach that knows what he's doing. They were also able to recruit non-qualifiers for two years as they rebuilt their program.

Like it or not, they have more money and fan support than we do right now, but they also have more competence and drive in their athletic administration than we've had in twenty-five years.
11-05-2018 11:13 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
RE: Serious question: what has UAB done differently than USM since 2015?? or 2008?
This game for them is not unlike when we played OP/MSUcks. Those games meant a lot more to USM than OP/MSUcks, and we snuck up on them a few times (didn't hurt that we usually had as much talent as them at the time, especially since we COULD take partial qualifiers.)

Kinda ironic, but U-Aye-Bay has tons of players who USM did not recruit....they also have partial qualifiers...the current UAB team has 38 Seniors who were able to practice, get their test scores up and work out like sumbits...and like USM in the day, they have comparable talent (and obviously better corches), so whoever wants it more usually wins!

One other thing, teams just sometimes have your number....we had UAB's for a long time, now they have our'n....Who knows, the worm could turn again, starting this year!04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018 11:36 AM by eaglebeaver.)
11-05-2018 11:34 AM
Bleacher Eagle Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM
Simply, it's Bill Clark. He's a really good coach. At UAB, he's gone 6-6, 8-5 and this year they sit at 8-1. He's improving that program every year.

What direction are we headed in under Hopson?
11-05-2018 11:35 AM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2018 11:35 AM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  Simply, it's Bill Clark. He's a really good coach. At UAB, he's gone 6-6, 8-5 and this year they sit at 8-1. He's improving that program every year.

The opposite? 03-lmfao

Well, frequent coaching changes don't help....ask FSU or WKU about that....On the bright side, we will have 18 returning starters next year, if that makes ya feel any better.04-cheers
11-05-2018 11:39 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

I Root For: Uab
(11-05-2018 11:35 AM)Bleacher Eagle Wrote:  Simply, it's Bill Clark. He's a really good coach. At UAB, he's gone 6-6, 8-5 and this year they sit at 8-1. He's improving that program every year.

I disagree. We beat you before Bill Clark.

We had 2 of the most incompetent coaches (Maybe other than ELLLLLLLLLLLLos)
Callaway and McGee.

Between those two coaches they beat USM to a record of 6-2.

Karma - the 70 to 14 was bad juju.
11-05-2018 12:22 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2018 12:22 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  

Cab Callaway and Fibber McGee.

Just like everything, including WKU's "dynasty" and FAU's one year "dynasty", this too shall end...

Here's to a great game Saturday..04-cheers
11-05-2018 12:30 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

USM has a bigger fanbase than UAB. Let the excitement of 'returning' fade and they'll be back to having same low attendance as usual. Only thing for them that will help that is getting a new stadium.

USM teams are more talented. Look at the qty of NFL players we have last several years compared to UAB.

Minus the Clark vs Hopson comparison (and EJ), we've had better coaches (Fedora, Monken).

UAB has a bigger athletic budget. But, when has that held USM back?

To me, it is surprising they've beat us as much that last several years. UAB will win this weekend, but I doubt they will next season.
11-05-2018 12:39 PM
EagNBran Offline
All American

If the rumors a few years back were true that Bill Clark interviewed for the USM job and we passed on him for Hopson, someone needs to be held accountable.
11-05-2018 12:39 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(11-05-2018 12:39 PM)EagNBran Wrote:  If the rumors a few years back were true that Bill Clark interviewed for the USM job and we passed on him for Hopson, someone needs to be held accountable.

No doubt.
11-05-2018 12:41 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(11-05-2018 12:30 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Just like everything, including WKU's "dynasty" and FAU's one year "dynasty", this too shall end...

I’m not calling it a dynasty. All I said was it wasn’t all bill clark as to the reason why UaB has had a good winning streak vs USM.

I agree I don’t think it was the quality of players either.

I think USM has/had a air of superiority that you didn’t want to play us lowly peasants and I think uab has not had the success that USM has had so right now we have more of a work man mentality
11-05-2018 12:43 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2018 12:43 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  

I’m not calling it a dynasty. All I said was it wasn’t all bill clark as to the reason why UaB has had a good winning streak vs USM.

I think USM has/had a air of superiority that you didn’t want to play us lowly peasants and I think uab has not had the success that USM has had so right now we have more of a work man mentality

Glad to have you on here DragonLiar...err...I mean DragonLair 04-cheers.

Didn't mean YOU in particular were saying you guys were a dynasty, just saying the fortunes of all C-USA teams explode and then disappear, like a fart in the wind.

You are right on one thing (but we certainly don't look down on you, just this conference in general), USM USED to have that same work man mentality and chip on our shoulder your program has now.

I know it is hard to believe , but one Idiot coach changed our fan's, student's and player's mentality in one 0-12 swipe.
11-05-2018 01:02 PM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(11-05-2018 01:02 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  

Didn't mean YOU in particular were saying you guys were a dynasty, just saying the fortunes of all C-USA teams explode and then disappear, like a fart in the wind.

You are right on one thing (but we certainly don't look down on you, just this conference in general), USM USED to have that same work man mentality and chip on our shoulder your program has now.

I know it is hard to believe , but one Idiot coach changed our fan's, student's and player's mentality in one 0-12 swipe.

Thanks I like to go read the opposing teams board before the game. I usually just lurk but since our main board is this site I figured I would chime in on the question posed.

I’ll say UAB definitely treats this as a rivalry.

My freshman was was 2009 and I didn’t lose to y’all while I played there but from this players perpective y’all were our #2 rival after Memphis. Those were the 2 games that we felt were our rivals with Marshall following up at #3.
11-05-2018 01:24 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2018 01:24 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 01:02 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 12:22 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  I disagree. We beat you before Bill Clark.

Thanks I like to go read the opposing teams board before the game. I usually just lurk but since our main board is this site I figured I would chime in on the question posed.

I’ll say UAB definitely treats this as a rivalry.

My freshman was was 2009 and I didn’t lose to y’all while I played there but from this players perpective y’all were our #2 rival after Memphis. Those were the 2 games that we felt were our rivals with Marshall following up at #3.
Understand, and unfortunately we don't look at it that way (much to our chagrin these days!)....mainly because we had been playing Memphis for 50 straight years, and Tulane and ECU for 30 straight years, so those teams (plus Houston) were our longtime rivals.

I promise you, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH UAB being worthy or anything like that.......How can you kick our azzes around like you have recently and USM not respect you?.....so maybe it will soon be a rivalry (god knows, we need some)04-cheers
11-05-2018 01:36 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Bill Clark is a really good football coach.
11-05-2018 03:30 PM
Up2stuff Offline
Special Teams

(11-05-2018 03:30 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Bill Clark is a really good football coach.

I was thinking the same thing Shifty. Our players are talented enough with UAB. I'm not so sure about our coaches. 03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018 08:28 PM by Up2stuff.)
11-05-2018 08:26 PM
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard

You definitely have a few players that should be in the work force by now....
11-06-2018 12:24 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(11-05-2018 11:13 AM)EagNBran Wrote:  The difference? Their shutdown reignited their fanbase. They put their money where there mouth was and put pressure on those in power to do the right things and actually care about their football success. They also have a good coach that knows what he's doing. They were also able to recruit non-qualifiers for two years as they rebuilt their program.

Like it or not, they have more money and fan support than we do right now, but they also have more competence and drive in their athletic administration than we've had in twenty-five years.

^^^^^

let's see what they have after '19 when they have to recruit like everybody else in the region....
11-06-2018 07:00 AM
EagleFWB Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
I can't see Clark being there much longer.... Somebody's gonna come after him.
11-06-2018 08:34 AM
DragonLair Offline
1st String

(11-06-2018 08:34 AM)EagleFWB Wrote:  I can't see Clark being there much longer.... Somebody's gonna come after him.

I’d say yes and no. I think Clark stays a few years at least until we play our first game in the new stadium.

He had offers to leave after we **** down but he stuck with us.

That being said I hope he stays and tries to make a Boise but I can’t blame him if he leaves for a good P5 program.

I don’t think he leaves for a middling p5.
11-06-2018 09:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.