Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The SEC on CBS: When does the marriage end?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The SEC on CBS: When does the marriage end?
Interesting piece from Clay Travis.

What Happens Next?

Quote:Both of these games will continue the trend begun over twenty years ago, in 1996, when CBS snatched up SEC games for the first time. Initially CBS split the telecasts nationwide, carrying the Big East in some east coast markets — frequently Miami or Virginia Tech back then — before going exclusively to the SEC just after the 2000 season. It has been a remarkably successful partnership between CBS and the SEC, but the primary financial value, as I will discuss below, has been almost entirely on CBS’s side.

Given that CBS receives the first pick each week of SEC games — for a total of 15 games each season, including one doubleheader weekend like this one coming up where CBS gets the top two picks — as well as the SEC title game, you’d think CBS must pay a ton of money for the exclusive rights to these telecasts, right?

You’d be wrong.

I also wonder how much more the SEC's 1st tier would be worth if either Oklahoma or Texas come aboard around the same time.
10-31-2018 07:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: The SEC on CBS: When does the marriage end?
(10-31-2018 07:47 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Interesting piece from Clay Travis.

What Happens Next?

Quote:Both of these games will continue the trend begun over twenty years ago, in 1996, when CBS snatched up SEC games for the first time. Initially CBS split the telecasts nationwide, carrying the Big East in some east coast markets — frequently Miami or Virginia Tech back then — before going exclusively to the SEC just after the 2000 season. It has been a remarkably successful partnership between CBS and the SEC, but the primary financial value, as I will discuss below, has been almost entirely on CBS’s side.

Given that CBS receives the first pick each week of SEC games — for a total of 15 games each season, including one doubleheader weekend like this one coming up where CBS gets the top two picks — as well as the SEC title game, you’d think CBS must pay a ton of money for the exclusive rights to these telecasts, right?

You’d be wrong.

I also wonder how much more the SEC's 1st tier would be worth if either Oklahoma or Texas come aboard around the same time.

If both came it would be massive. Some think in terms of the new SEC T1 contract being worth at the least 7 million more per school and at the peak around 11 million more and that doesn't include Texas or Oklahoma. Either would easily add another 2.5 million per school and for the pair an additional 5 million.

We currently get less than 3 million per school for our T1 rights. It was a horrible deal for the conference. If Sankey wants to make his first mark this is his chance.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2018 08:19 PM by JRsec.)
10-31-2018 08:18 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Whatever happens, I think we should go to the table with any other network and have these as our non-negotiable points.

1. We get the 330 Eastern time slot every Saturday from beginning to end.

2. We get that time slot on your prime broadcast network.

3. Minimal commercials so that the game is over by the time our next block of games begins that night.

I would say whoever gives us the best deal under those stipulations is the network we sign with.

Also, do all of our digital rights belong to ESPN? Or are the 1st tier digital rights separate? If they are separate then I would say offer a separate package to Amazon for a simulcast.
11-01-2018 08:37 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(11-01-2018 08:37 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Whatever happens, I think we should go to the table with any other network and have these as our non-negotiable points.

1. We get the 330 Eastern time slot every Saturday from beginning to end.

2. We get that time slot on your prime broadcast network.

3. Minimal commercials so that the game is over by the time our next block of games begins that night.

I would say whoever gives us the best deal under those stipulations is the network we sign with.

Also, do all of our digital rights belong to ESPN? Or are the 1st tier digital rights separate? If they are separate then I would say offer a separate package to Amazon for a simulcast.

I don't think you should have any fears. The SEC is well aware of the desire to keep the 2:30 Central national slot. But remember that game runs into the next set of games because CBS does a 15 minute build up so the kicks don't happen until around 2:45 Central time.
11-01-2018 12:06 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I’d agree on those points but also I’d sell the CCG as a separate deal all on its own
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2018 12:26 PM by 10thMountain.)
11-01-2018 12:24 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(11-01-2018 12:24 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I’d agree on those points but also I’d sell the CCG as a separate deal all on its own

The playoff games are $200M each. The SEC CCG is essentially a playin game. $100M might be a little undervalued.

I think Fox will be the highest bidder. The SEC still wants that national footprint delivered, and Fox wants both Teir I football content and more content for FS1.
11-01-2018 12:48 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(11-01-2018 12:48 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(11-01-2018 12:24 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  I’d agree on those points but also I’d sell the CCG as a separate deal all on its own

The playoff games are $200M each. The SEC CCG is essentially a playin game. $100M might be a little undervalued.

I think Fox will be the highest bidder. The SEC still wants that national footprint delivered, and Fox wants both Teir I football content and more content for FS1.

Fox will also have more cash to spend as they should have money in the bank from the sale of their movie studio side.
11-01-2018 12:49 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I’d love to find a way to get a handful more afternoon/night double headers as well. It’s disappointing that we only get one a year and it’s essentially always Alabama/LSU
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2018 09:59 AM by Gamecock.)
11-02-2018 07:33 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I would rather see us on either CBS, NBC, or ABC provided they are bound by the stipulations we've listed here.

Things that FOX acquire just don't seem to get the same following they had on their traditional channels and I would think that like it did with the World Series the first few years FOX had it there would be a drop off in viewership if we wound up on FOX. I love them for a news channel but folks just don't check the dial that far up when they channel surf. No other sports is close to 1054 on the set. ESPN is grouped around the 30's if you have charter and the 1600's if you have DirectTV or Uverse. FS1/FS2/BTN are similarly grouped.

Anyway that's just what I think.
11-02-2018 09:58 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(11-02-2018 09:58 AM)JRsec Wrote:  I would rather see us on either CBS, NBC, or ABC provided they are bound by the stipulations we've listed here.

Things that FOX acquire just don't seem to get the same following they had on their traditional channels and I would think that like it did with the World Series the first few years FOX had it there would be a drop off in viewership if we wound up on FOX. I love them for a news channel but folks just don't check the dial that far up when they channel surf. No other sports is close to 1054 on the set. ESPN is grouped around the 30's if you have charter and the 1600's if you have DirectTV or Uverse. FS1/FS2/BTN are similarly grouped.

Anyway that's just what I think.

I think NBC would be a good partner. They've got tons of channels where they could do cross promotion. They've also got NFL rights among others and those are good time slots to advertise the next SEC game.

Plus, if the SEC and Notre Dame were piggybacking on each other's time slots then I think that probably helps both.
11-02-2018 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.