Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A bit of nostalgia and a wish for a great upcoming season
Bookmark and Share
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
A bit of nostalgia and a wish for a great upcoming season
For those who never had the opportunity to see the master practice his craft...

The Dunk Tape

Enjoy!
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 07:11 PM by BucDoctor.)
10-29-2018 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: A bit of nostalgia and a wish for a great upcoming season
(10-29-2018 07:11 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  For those who never had the opportunity to see the master practice his craft...

The Dunk Tape

Enjoy!

I'm not trying to bash Freedom Hall...…...but it will NEVER equal the insanity and fever-pitch excitement of the Dome when things were rollin' like they were during that golden era, with 9-10-11+ thousand in there with those guys "holding court".
10-30-2018 08:56 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

The trouble is it requires 10,000 or so in order for that vast space to feel like it's rocking. A mere 5,000 or 6,000 gets swallowed up in all that room.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2018 10:28 AM by swvabucsfan.)
10-30-2018 10:27 AM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(10-30-2018 10:27 AM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  The trouble is it requires 10,000 or so in order for that vast space to feel like it's rocking. A mere 5,000 or 6,000 gets swallowed up in all that room.

Well...….we could quibble on degree. I thought it was pretty rockin' at even 6-7,000 - like when we played VMI, Radford, TN Tech, or some similar lesser attractions. Certainly 10,000 wasn't necessary, as we only had, what, maybe 10 (just a guess - somebody once posted top crowds on this site) or so crowds over that? As rowdy as Freedom Hall gets, it has to be full to just come close to equaling the Dome with, say, 8,000. IMO.
Of course the times were different then, too. I realize that. I don't think the folks on this board who didn't get to experience that era can fully comprehend what it was like.
10-30-2018 10:48 AM
Advertisement

Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
Neither the Dome nor Freedom Hall can compare with the atmosphere of a tight game in a packed Brooks Gym. I'm talking back in the day, when it was Memorial Gym, and the bleachers were on both sides and extended to within 3 or 4 feet of each sideline.

Sitting on the front row, you had to pay attention if you stretched your legs, lest you trip a player or a referee. If the ball was being inbounded in front of you, you had to lean back to avoid the dripping sweat. And when it got loud, even with that close proximity, you couldn't hear the referee's whistle.
10-31-2018 03:24 PM
drmm Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: etsu
(10-31-2018 03:24 PM)Flippmb Wrote:  Neither the Dome nor Freedom Hall can compare with the atmosphere of a tight game in a packed Brooks Gym. I'm talking back in the day, when it was Memorial Gym, and the bleachers were on both sides and extended to within 3 or 4 feet of each sideline.

Sitting on the front row, you had to pay attention if you stretched your legs, lest you trip a player or a referee. If the ball was being inbounded in front of you, you had to lean back to avoid the dripping sweat. And when it got loud, even with that close proximity, you couldn't hear the referee's whistle.

Well said and totally accurate.
10-31-2018 06:53 PM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
I never seem to grow tired of watching tapes of CT.

Thanks for sharing.
10-31-2018 07:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.