UConn The Answer For Big East To Keep MSG
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
UConn The Answer For Big East To Keep MSG
https://twitter.com/TheUConnBlog/status/...9157303297

https://twitter.com/NJHoopsHaven/status/...4800121856

https://twitter.com/NJHoopsHaven/status/...3311793153

Looks like Fox Sports may be willing to throw a good chunk of money at UConn to ensure the Big East remains the only conference at MSG
10-26-2018 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: UConn The Answer For Big East To Keep MSG
Why would Fox do that when a conference they have a lot of rights for(the Big Ten) want in MSG? Are they willing to piss off Delaney? They need the Big Ten quite frankly far more than they need the Big East..
10-26-2018 12:02 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Connecticut to Big East with football in the American. If the American won’t accept that, then go independent. The American then brings in Army as football only which would be an upgrade in football. That gives both the American and Big East 11 in basketball for a 20-game full round robin.
10-26-2018 12:14 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(10-26-2018 12:14 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Connecticut to Big East with football in the American. If the American won’t accept that, then go independent. The American then brings in Army as football only which would be an upgrade in football. That gives both the American and Big East 11 in basketball for a 20-game full round robin.

Buh Bye UConn...

The American will not keep UConn without basketball... no one is begging the Huskies to stay.

UAB is now winning consistently in Football and has a good basketball history... decent market... The American can plug and play several fairly decent programs that fits better within our footprint.

FWIW: I don't want this to happen or foresee it happening. Flagship state school...big basketball following nationally.... but if they want to leave... well.. whatever...
10-26-2018 01:04 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
If UConn football goes independent you are looking at a schedule full of home and aways with:

UMass
Buffalo
Temple
Army
Liberty
NMSU

Possible Home and Aways or 2 for 1s with:
BYU
BC
Rutgers
Pitt
Maryland
Syracuse

Hosting 1-2 FCS schools in the Northeast like:
Stony Brook
URI
UNH
Maine
Albany

UConn could make it work if they had to I guess.
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018 01:09 PM by Fighting Muskie.)
10-26-2018 01:08 PM
megadrone Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-26-2018 01:08 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If UConn football goes independent you are looking at a schedule full of home and aways with:

UMass
Buffalo
Temple
Army
Liberty
NMSU

Possible Home and Aways or 2 for 1s with:
BYU
BC
Rutgers
Pitt
Maryland
Syracuse

Hosting 1-2 FCS schools in the Northeast like:
Stony Brook
URI
UNH
Maine
Albany

UConn could make it work if they had to I guess.

Overall it would probably be a pay cut while the American is still dishing out exit fees and NCAA credits from the teams that left the Big East. But intermediate term it could work -- UConn could negotiate its own TV contract with SNY and play Saturday afternoons. Regional schedule if they can pull it off. Big East distribution is better than the American at present (but how will that change after the next contract?).
10-26-2018 01:15 PM
Advertisement

seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St
(10-26-2018 01:04 PM)No Bull Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 12:14 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Connecticut to Big East with football in the American. If the American won’t accept that, then go independent. The American then brings in Army as football only which would be an upgrade in football. That gives both the American and Big East 11 in basketball for a 20-game full round robin.

Buh Bye UConn...

The American will not keep UConn without basketball... no one is begging the Huskies to stay.

UAB is now winning consistently in Football and has a good basketball history... decent market... The American can plug and play several fairly decent programs that fits better within our footprint.

FWIW: I don't want this to happen or foresee it happening. Flagship state school...big basketball following nationally.... but if they want to leave... well.. whatever...

If UConn leaves for the Big East football will either be cut or relegated to the CAA.
10-26-2018 01:22 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(10-26-2018 01:04 PM)No Bull Wrote:  

Buh Bye UConn...

UAB isn’t bad but I would lean towards Army. I think UAB is a good fit in CUSA currently
10-26-2018 01:23 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(10-26-2018 12:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Why would Fox do that when a conference they have a lot of rights for(the Big Ten) want in MSG? Are they willing to piss off Delaney? They need the Big Ten quite frankly far more than they need the Big East..

It's not an either/or scenario, Stever. Fox and FS1 would have the opportunity to increase the value, viewership and recognition of one of their own brands. Delaney spoke about creatively making a tournament at MSG work not too long ago. UConn is of no interest to the B1G, but immense interest for the Big East - given the right circumstance. By snatching UConn, not only would they be taking an ESPN property away, but they would look to keep the ACC out of MSG as well. The B1G and Big East, under Delaney's creative plan, could dual-host their tournaments concurrently, semi-annually, at MSG during a week and share the profits. Such an event would have a incredibly strong Northeast presence, along with numerous elite and top-level basketball programs in one spot during a single week.

There is significant value in a partnership between UConn and the Big East. UConn can return its Olympic sports to not just a regional conference, with shared historical rivals, but also a more respected and competitive league as well. Fox can make it financially beneficial to them by arranging select OOC games against B1G, Big 12 and PAC members. UConn can continue to schedule regional ACC opponents like Boston College, Syracuse, Army, as well as other independents like UMass, BYU, and Liberty in order to fill up their yearly schedule. If they can arrange for a guaranteed bowl tie-in, it is icing on the cake for them (possibly the Pinstripe Bowl or Military Bowl).
10-26-2018 01:30 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(10-26-2018 01:15 PM)megadrone Wrote:  Overall it would probably be a pay cut while the American is still dishing out exit fees and NCAA credits from the teams that left the Big East. But intermediate term it could work -- UConn could negotiate its own TV contract with SNY and play Saturday afternoons. Regional schedule if they can pull it off. Big East distribution is better than the American at present (but how will that change after the next contract?).

The war chest funds have run out. They are no longer being distributed.
10-26-2018 01:34 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(10-26-2018 01:30 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 12:02 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Why would Fox do that when a conference they have a lot of rights for(the Big Ten) want in MSG? Are they willing to piss off Delaney? They need the Big Ten quite frankly far more than they need the Big East..

It's not an either/or scenario, Stever. Fox and FS1 would have the opportunity to increase the value, viewership and recognition of one of their own brands. Delaney spoke about creatively making a tournament at MSG work not too long ago. UConn is of no interest to the B1G, but immense interest for the Big East - given the right circumstance. By snatching UConn, not only would they be taking an ESPN property away, but they would look to keep the ACC out of MSG as well. The B1G and Big East, under Delaney's creative plan, could dual-host their tournaments concurrently, semi-annually, at MSG during a week and share the profits. Such an event would have a incredibly strong Northeast presence, along with numerous elite and top-level basketball programs in one spot during a single week.

There is significant value in a partnership between UConn and the Big East. UConn can return its Olympic sports to not just a regional conference, with shared historical rivals, but also a more respected and competitive league as well. Fox can make it financially beneficial to them by arranging select OOC games against B1G, Big 12 and PAC members. UConn can continue to schedule regional ACC opponents like Boston College, Syracuse, Army, as well as other independents like UMass, BYU, and Liberty in order to fill up their yearly schedule. If they can arrange for a guaranteed bowl tie-in, it is icing on the cake for them (possibly the Pinstripe Bowl or Military Bowl).

lol, strong OOC games agianst Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12? Are you drunk? Why would any team that is strong want to play UConn? they can get a team like UConn and it's a 1 off type of game.

And sorry but I just don't think a dual hosting thing could possibly work.... Not with 13 games for Big Ten and 10 for Big East.

Here is what they have now....
2 B10 Wed going from 14-12, 2 BE going from 10-8
4 B10 Thu going from 12-8, 4 BE going from 8-4
4 B10 Fri going from 8-4, 2 BE going from 4-2
2 B10 Sat going from 4-2, 1 BE
1 B10 Sun

The absolute earliest they could start is Tuesday.
10-26-2018 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
UConn won’t go anywhere unless they are 100% unequivocally certain that they’re never getting a P5 invite, in which event the football independence/Big East combo becomes more attractive. Football was really a means to an end for UConn to join a power conference, so if that’s not happening (after exhausting every inkling of a possibility), then a different direction is certainly possible. I agree with others that the AAC wouldn’t keep UConn just for football, so it would be a road of independence for them.

Here’s a plausible independence lineup that gives UConn 6 home games per year:

BYU (home-and-home)
Army (home-and-home)
Liberty (home-and-home)
UMass (home-and-home)
New Mexico State (home-and-home)
P5 - Syracuse-type (home-and-home)
P5 - BC-type (home-and-home)
P5 - Guarantee game (away)
G5 (home-and-home)
G5 (home-and-home)
G5 (home-and-home)
FCS - Guarantee game (home)

Essentially, 1 guarantee road game at a P5 power to pay the bills, 5 home-and-home series against the non-ND independents, 2 home-and-home series against mid-tier P5 schools, 3 home-and-home series against G5 schools, and 1 guarantee home game against an FCS opponent. That seems like a reasonably plausible way to get to 6 home games and a decent schedule. Only UConn can say whether that’s worth going for independence (and it will depend upon the size of the next AAC TV deal).
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018 02:01 PM by Frank the Tank.)
10-26-2018 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Jeebus, Stu Jackson is our associate commissioner? Stu Jackson ex- NBA head coach, GM, executive VP of the NBA. Nice.
10-26-2018 02:05 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
It wouldn't surprise me if the MAC took their football (back). James Madison, get ready for a phone call...
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018 02:07 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
10-26-2018 02:06 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(10-26-2018 01:49 PM)stever20 Wrote:  lol, strong OOC games agianst Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12? Are you drunk? Why would any team that is strong want to play UConn? they can get a team like UConn and it's a 1 off type of game.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bd366f57747655177082320]
(This post was last modified: 10-26-2018 02:12 PM by GoldenWarrior11.)
10-26-2018 02:12 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

I question the feasibility of the Big Ten and Big East both being able to fit in 4 games in one day.
10-26-2018 02:19 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline

If a couple more FCS schools in the Northeast became FBS independents, let's say JMU and Stony Brook, FBS independence playing within a northeastern-based scheduling alliance becomes a little more realistic. The football money wouldn't be great but at least you'd have the program alive and ready to slip into a P5 (ACC) if an opening ever occurred.
10-26-2018 02:23 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

(10-26-2018 02:06 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  It wouldn't surprise me if the MAC took their football (back). James Madison, get ready for a phone call...

Perhaps the MAC would consider Connecticut and Massachusetts for football only since 14 would be an even number?

West: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green St
East: Miami OH, Ohio, Akron, Kent St, Buffalo, Connecticut, Massachusetts
10-26-2018 02:23 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(10-26-2018 02:23 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(10-26-2018 02:06 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  It wouldn't surprise me if the MAC took their football (back). James Madison, get ready for a phone call...

Perhaps the MAC would consider Connecticut and Massachusetts for football only since 14 would be an even number?

West: Northern Illinois, Ball St, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, Bowling Green St
East: Miami OH, Ohio, Akron, Kent St, Buffalo, Connecticut, Massachusetts

That would make a lot of sense. The MAC is going to want some basketball games in return.
10-26-2018 02:32 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-26-2018 01:58 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  UConn won’t go anywhere unless they are 100% unequivocally certain that they’re never getting a P5 invite, in which event the football independence/Big East combo becomes more attractive. Football was really a means to an end for UConn to join a power conference, so if that’s not happening (after exhausting every inkling of a possibility), then a different direction is certainly possible. I agree with others that the AAC wouldn’t keep UConn just for football, so it would be a road of independence for them.

Here’s a plausible independence lineup that gives UConn 6 home games per year:

BYU (home-and-home)
Army (home-and-home)
Liberty (home-and-home)
UMass (home-and-home)
New Mexico State (home-and-home)
P5 - Syracuse-type (home-and-home)
P5 - BC-type (home-and-home)
P5 - Guarantee game (away)
G5 (home-and-home)
G5 (home-and-home)
G5 (home-and-home)
FCS - Guarantee game (home)

Essentially, 1 guarantee road game at a P5 power to pay the bills, 5 home-and-home series against the non-ND independents, 2 home-and-home series against mid-tier P5 schools, 3 home-and-home series against G5 schools, and 1 guarantee home game against an FCS opponent. That seems like a reasonably plausible way to get to 6 home games and a decent schedule. Only UConn can say whether that’s worth going for independence (and it will depend upon the size of the next AAC TV deal).

If I were betting probability, my bet would be that it is more likely the P5 becomes the P4 than the P5 lineup stays unchanged except for some G5 call ups.

If Big East can avoid a haircut then odds are they can deliver more dollars to UConn than AAC, it is worth remembering that a well supported conference tournament can be a significant revenue source for a conference plus basketball units.

Financially Big East makes sense.

Before CUSA formed, the Liberty for a time had what was called the Liberty Bowl Alliance. A group of independents (most ended up in CUSA) with the Liberty promising to pick from the group. No reason UMass and UConn and Liberty and NMSU couldn't do similar.

Despite foregoing a big piece of CFP money the net difference probably favors Big East. That makes the worst element the lack of a path to the Access Bowl.

Scheduling UConn has a dandy carrot to offer. Dangling a home/home in hoops for home/home in football can open doors for UConn when others can't get past the gate to get to the door.
10-26-2018 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.