Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UTSA Update & Huge Expansion
Bookmark and Share
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTSA
UTSA Update & Huge Expansion
UTSA is a school in a thriving city, one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Texas as a state has tons of well known schools, 2 out of 5 of the largest cities in the US, DFW & Houston & two of the fastest growing cities Austin & San Antonio.

San Antonio needs a Tier 1 University & the school needs major upgrades. With a new prezzy & AD that is what they are doing with A LOT of backing. we have bought and been given land as well as buildings. We are doing a major fundraising campaign for athletic facilities only. Which will result in a 110k sqft athletic complex with the hope of them adding a basketball arena, but it supposed to be state of the art. We are also planning on going from 30k students to 50k students within 5 years. As the metro grows to near 3 million that shouldn't be a problem. We are finally moving in the right direction with facilities and using downtown as a BIG part of our school. Here is a link of what is going on DT. Everything has been approved :

This also talks about what the expansion will do:

https://www.utsa.edu/strategicplan/presi...pport.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mysanan...248668.php

As they build and add more colleges downtown a ton of dorms will be build which will help with attendace at Football games, since it's a very easy walk in nice weather with a lot of bars.

Link here for some of the new dorms:

http://www.utsa.edu/president/2018/10/st...using.html

As all the educational building will be going on so will the athletics. New state of art weight rooms, film rooms, dorm rooms, training rooms, new fields, classrooms, and pretty much whatever you can think of within reason. Here is a link from the prezzy:

https://www.utsa.edu/today/2018/08/story...etics.html

[Image: IMG-4606.png]
nazrul kobita collection

With the Downtown booming, not just UTSA but the city investing in new buildings, more modern, up to date city, UTSA want to fall in line with that. So if all goes well we should be set up for the years to come.

[Image: IMG-4606.png]
nazrul kobita collection
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 10:56 PM by Lizard Breath.)
10-25-2018 10:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

RE: UTSA Update & Huge Expansion
It seems as though the last prezzy was just collecting checks
10-25-2018 10:57 PM
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

Things like this is good for a conference and let's your conference mates know we arent just being lazy. UTSA has a ton of potential and this prezzy and a lot of alum aren't going to let it slide nor are we going to let being bad at sports slide. We know we will have bad years but we want to create a standard where we are supposed to be good and if were not, we are pissed.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 11:05 PM by Lizard Breath.)
10-25-2018 11:03 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
very cool dude
10-26-2018 08:40 AM
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

Thanks man. I just wanted to share because I know a lot of our facilities are pretty bad.
10-26-2018 08:59 AM
herdfan129 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall & Liberty
That is awesome and impressive. UTSA is a sleeping giant for sure. If you all can get a new basketball arena and grow that fan base too then look out.
10-26-2018 09:17 AM
Advertisement

Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

Definitely !
10-26-2018 09:19 AM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

I Root For: UAB
Any time a school is growing and investing in itself (University-wide, not just sports) it makes the school more attractive which benefits the conference. Congrats
10-26-2018 10:20 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
Happy for UTSA. Let's hope that unlike MT, you don't get screwed over by a higher power (like our THEC) as you try to enhance your athletic and academic footprint in your state. Don't know much about Texas politics; but if you are a part of the University of Texas System, do you have to say Please and Thank You to the burnt orange in Austin whenever you do anything of substance?
10-26-2018 10:43 AM
SouthernMiss3613 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Very nice. Any talks of an on campus stadium? Do y'all have any open property in the heart of the campus? Something possibly like Tulane did, where the students can walk to the stadium?
10-26-2018 11:04 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
I like San Antonio. I don't know much about UTSA, but glad there is work being put in to make these improvements.
10-26-2018 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

(10-26-2018 11:04 AM)SouthernMiss3613 Wrote:  Very nice. Any talks of an on campus stadium? Do y'all have any open property in the heart of the campus? Something possibly like Tulane did, where the students can walk to the stadium?

Thanks , yes we have a lot of room near campus. But there are a ton of fans that like the dome due to the fact it's indoors and our weather is extremely hot here even sometimes 85-90 in November. I want an on campus stadium, but with the downtown expansion which will be huge you could almost consider the dome on campus, because they are going to be calling the downtown campus Main Campus 2. The campuses are about 15-20 minutes a part. But yes we do have room at our current main campus to build. On the current main campus that's where they are building the 110k sqft athletic complex. There are just going to be a lot of changes and everything is getting approved and had been approved but plans are fluid.
10-26-2018 11:48 AM
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

(10-26-2018 10:43 AM)BlueRaiderBoy Wrote:  Happy for UTSA. Let's hope that unlike MT, you don't get screwed over by a higher power (like our THEC) as you try to enhance your athletic and academic footprint in your state. Don't know much about Texas politics; but if you are a part of the University of Texas System, do you have to say Please and Thank You to the burnt orange in Austin whenever you do anything of substance?

Not really. We are entitled to a certain amount of money from the oil money fund, but it's still voted on but more than likely all the requests have been yes so far. There is a large sum of oil that the UT system has access to and we get our fair share and it will continue to increase.
10-26-2018 11:51 AM
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/21/...-students/

Here's a little info about the oil money we get and we are just starting to use itbnow.
10-26-2018 11:53 AM
Lizard Breath Offline
1st String

Here's also another big oil deal for the it system in south Texas. So the it system is going to explode with money over many years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes....-love/amp/
10-26-2018 12:05 PM
NorthTexan95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
Sounds like exciting times for UTSA.
10-26-2018 01:29 PM
Advertisement

Coach Bonez89 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTk-MEM-UAB-UTC
Congrats UTSA! Y'all have a ways to go, but this is a good start. While I prefer an on campus football stadium myself, I think addressing the basketball arena situation is of greater importance, right now.
10-28-2018 10:07 AM
winston70 Offline
All American

I Root For: La Tech
Impressive UTSA
10-28-2018 12:06 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Good for you! Happy to hear it. That sort of thing is good for the conference as a whole.
10-28-2018 12:25 PM
ClaudeFunston Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNT
What I really want is more cannon news !

LOL. Sorry, I could not help it.

Seriously, you guys are in a perfect location with little competition in the San Antonio area. It's a great base to build from.
10-28-2018 04:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.